Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Can I do it? 10k per day for the next 6 days? The jury's out..

youve ran more than that in one 5(ish) hour go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

youve ran more than that in one 5(ish) hour go :)
    But I didn't have a week of birthdays, Christmas parties, sea swims, and packing to contend with! First World Pains!

Christmas party hangover: check
    Tired and emotional: check
    5 Mile tailback on the M50: check
    12" Spikes: check
    Shorts and a T-shirt: check
    Headtorch: check
    10k sploshing around a muddy field in the dark with a head-torch, listening to white noise on my detuned radio: Bliss..

Summary: 10k in 47:20, @7:30/mile, HR=136

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

5 Mile tailback on the M50: check

You need to tune into 103.2 more often:)

Abhainn wrote: »
    You need to tune into 103.2 more often:)
    Easier said than done on my motorcycle! Having said that, aforementioned motorcycle does allow me to weave my way through aforementioned 5 mile tail-back, to arrive home damp, but slightly less irate than the car drivers parked on the motorway. :)

• Advertisement

Last night: 10 mile very easy run
    Once more, 'the man' took his pound of flesh, and I arrived home from a long day of work at 9:30pm, and soon had my laces looped and was out the door 15 minutes later. The plan was to tick off another 10k, to keep my annual average mileage up to 7 miles per day for the year. Bored with the park, I headed up over Killiney Hill, finding the downhills tough on sore quads, but as has become the norm, the body took a different turn and instead of heading home, I found myself in a desolate Dalkey village. Back up the winding Vico Road, where even the trees refuse to shed their leaves, should they spoil the debris-free mood of this wealthy suburb. I got a few glaring unwelcome looks on my climb, as though the views of the lights across Dublin and Wicklow at night are only for the well-heeled, but I've always been one for sticking my nose in, where it's least welcome. I arrived home having ticked off 10 miles, feeling good about the fact that despite the late hour, I managed to click off a few extra miles.

A quick 5 minute core strength session, and it was a midnight dinner, a beer, and bed.

Summary: 10 hilly miles in 1:17, @7:41/mile, HR=142

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Bored with the park, I headed up over Killiney Hill, finding the downhills tough on sore quads, but as has become the norm, the body took a different turn and instead of heading home, I found myself in a desolate Dalkey village. Back up the winding Vico Road, where even the trees refuse to shed their leaves, should they spoil the debris-free mood of this wealthy suburb. I got a few glaring unwelcome looks on my climb, as though the views of the lights across Dublin and Wicklow at night are only for the well-heeled, but I've always been one for sticking my nose in, where it's least welcome.

The trees on the Vico Road have been shedding their leaves for quite a while but the well-heeled have just recently cleaned the footpaths.
    I'm not a Dalkey resident (for shame:o) and I've been braving this area for quite a while, well worth the unwelcome looks especially on a full moon or first thing in the morning.
    The past two mornings I've taken to wishing people Happy Christmas, not sure if it's the kind of thing they're used to but nobody seems to mind too much.

Marthastew wrote: »
    The past two mornings I've taken to wishing people Happy Christmas, not sure if it's the kind of thing they're used to but nobody seems to mind too much.
    Perhaps they just have a distrust of anyone wearing running shoes and luminous colours at 11pm at night? The standard uniform in neighbouring Dun Laoghaire :)

Yesterday (yesterday's yesterday at this stage): A very much non-descript 5 mile run, just checking off the miles, keeping the 'sane' flowing, in a horrendous week of work. I often wonder if I wouldn't be better off with a job plucking turkeys at this time of year. At least, come Christmas day, you know you're done for a good stretch. I'm already anticipating January's work-load.
    Summary: 5 miles in 37 minutes, @7:33/mile, HR=140

Today (yesterday): Dear Diary. A fitting tribute.. After leaving work for my Christmas holidays, my first run of the festive period, would also be my last run as an M35. A crazy day in work. A crazy week.. Caffeine and adrenaline fueled, just getting out into the cold fresh air, felt magic.. Refreshing. Liberating. I just wanted to run and run. Everything felt great. Mind, body, legs. The kind of day where turning back is a mixture of relief and regret. 10k in 43 minutes, a fitting tribute to the turning of a page.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Let me extend an official welcome to the M40 club. It's all downhill now max hr starts to drop and the law of diminishing returns kicks in ;) - however you'll be setting new pbs next year (M40 at least). Enjoy the day and the holidays.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

May all your slippers be comfortable, all your jumpers be 100% pure wool (with diamond patterns) and may you keep "a run around the golf course" meaning just that for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Today (yesterday): Dear Diary. A fitting tribute.. After leaving work for my Christmas holidays, my first run of the festive period, would also be my last run as an M35.

Age groups come and age groups go, but you'll always be classified as a clown.

Today: 5 Miles with strides
    ...and the flip-side. My first run as an M40. Started the day properly, with a dip in the Irish Sea, with friends and family (water was, as always, heart-stoppingly cold), boozy lunch, and then back to the park, for a torchlit 5 miles with strides thrown in for good measure.
    Summary: 5.2 miles, 37 mins, 7:10/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

happi birthday kc..and crimbo

Today: Traditional xmas day run up to the top of Carrigologan. 'Top Gear' style race to the top of the hill against the family (car and hike), but they had me on the uphill leg by a couple of metres. Windy as hell up there, so it was incredibly hard to stay upright for the token xmas photos. Launched myself back down again, to redeem my earlier defeat, and arrived back home, with a few minutes to spare. Manpower over horsepower. :)

Last run of the year, to bring my total to 2,556.56 miles, or exactly 7.0042738 miles per day. Dusted. :D

Summary: 2,556.56 miles, in 329:02:59, @7:42/mile, HR=140

Merry New Year, one and all!

Hello 2012... I'm back....

I celebrated my new category in style, by packing up the family before even the turkey sandwiches had been assembled and headed off (without any running shoes!) to Morzine (an old village in the French Alps), for some adventures in the snow. So no running, but plenty of core-workouts, as we tucked, jumped and serpentined our way around 130+ miles of skiing. Topped it off with a mile of ice-skating (slip-sliding, fumbling, wind-milling madly), while my daughter raced, swooped, jumped and pirouetted her way around me. It would have been a solid healthy week, but for the diet (most meal seemed to consist of at least three types of cheese) and the drinking, that started in true skiing style well before mid-day and lasted into the late hours.

Still, with between 4 and 8 hours of fresh mountain air every day, and lots of carrying two pairs of skis, there was more good done than bad and the bit of conditioning for the legs will help the upcoming Boston marathon training cause.

10k to Bray and back: The Garmin watch (and truth be told, my brain) reckoned they were still somewhere in the Alps, so the figures were all screwed up for today's run. Despite feck all sleep, it was an enjoyable first foray of the year, but with just a couple of weeks to marathon training, it's really time to knuckle down and get some prep work done. Closer to 6.5 miles, in around 43 mins, @ around 6:40/mile.

Core: Lots of strength and conditioning stuff last week, but nothing formal, so back to the routines. Dropped the reps back a bit as I haven't done the weights and core stuff (planks only for the last few weeks) so went back to:
    15 reps x 15 core strength exercises
    15 reps x 2 x 4 weights

Today: 6 mile (afternoon) and 4 mile (evening) easy run
    Horrendous conditions probably made me run a little quicker than recovery pace. Freezing cold and very windy, but back on the path to marathon training readiness.
    Summary: 6 miles (7:30/mile) and 4 miles (7:32/mile).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Congrats on getting Training log of the year:D

menoscemo wrote: »
    Congrats on getting Training log of the year:D
    :D Thanks for pointing that out! I was away all last week with absolutely no internet access (a rarity for me), so have lots of Boards posts to catch-up on. With my new-found fame, I'm going to have to think about pimping my training log, or moving to an MTV crib training log, with lots more bling.

bling_21.jpg

Too much too soon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Way too much. I celebrated by dunking choccie hobnobs for a week, instead of my usual Lidl plain tea biccies. And yours is only the second-most important gong;)

Yesterday: 12 easy miles
    Really just trying to build-up the mileage to get ready for 'the plan' but this run was character building. A couple of easy miles with work buddy with the wind behind us, then we parted ways and I followed the Naas road as far as the M50, exploring new pastures, before the 5/6 mile trudge along the canal, into a horrific head-wind. On a normal day (we have normal days?) this would have been a very pleasant run, but into the strong wind and hail, it was difficult to eke out any pleasure. Even the Moncrieff radio show couldn't provide any solace, with it's talk of bullying and three year olds in nappies. We need more humour in these dark windy times. But there will be days like this.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:34, @7:47/mile, HR=142

Yesterday: Cross country by torch-light
    BeepBeep had sent on last year's masters cross-country route(thanks!), so given that I am now a master at something, I strapped on my head-torch and headed over to the park 'of recovery'. This Sunday's race is actually in a stretch where I do most of my recovery runs, so I can safely say that I know every nook and cranny. So you'd imagine I'd have a distinct advantage? Hmm, not really. Of the thousands of miles I have run here, most of them have been at 8+ minute mile, so there's a certain sloth, every time I tread these fields. But in the darkness (lit up only by the odd discarded traffic cone and occasional evil glowing eyes from the bushes) I comfortably ran a little quicker. If the race were in the deepest darkest night, I'd have a chance at putting up a good show, but on a Sunday afternoon? Sloth..

Summary: 6.29 miles in 42 mins, @6:42/mile, HR=158

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:eek: That sloth needs a nail trim!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

BeepBeep had sent on last year's masters cross-country route(thanks!), so given that I am now a master at something, I strapped on my head-torch and headed over to the park 'of recovery'. This Sunday's race is actually in a stretch where I do most of my recovery runs, so I can safely say that I know every nook and cranny. So you'd imagine I'd have a distinct advantage? Hmm, not really. Of the thousands of miles I have run here, most of them have been at 8+ minute mile, so there's a certain sloth, every time I tread these fields. But in the darkness (lit up only by the odd discarded traffic cone and occasional evil glowing eyes from the bushes) I comfortably ran a little quicker. If the race were in the deepest darkest night, I'd have a chance at putting up a good show, but on a Sunday afternoon? Sloth..

Summary: 6.29 miles in 42 mins, @6:42/mile, HR=158

Make sure you pay attention to the stewards, over familiarity breeds complacency - 1st and 2nd was decided like that last year!
    See you Sunday - going to test the bod now.

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :eek: That sloth needs a nail trim!!
    Them's claws. <evil cackle>.

Today: 6 + 5 Easy miles
    Mostly recovery pace miles with a buddy, but at the moment, pace isn't important. Just building the miles back into them scrawny legs to build up for the hardships of 'the plan'. Two weeks of no running in the last 4 weeks hasn't helped, but the legs are begrudgingly coming around. The goal is a 60+ mile week this week(with one race), and build up to high 60s over the next two weeks.

Summary: 6 + 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

BeepBeep had sent on last year's masters cross-country route(thanks!), so given that I am now a master

Good luck. When did you turn 50?

Good luck. When did you turn 50?
    Haha! You cheeky young whippet. We'll see how funny you are when you can't find your running shoes for all the nappies. :D
    Congrats by the way!

• Advertisement

Today: 6 miles easy
    A new day, a new course map. Studied this one, comparing it to google maps and after 20 minutes, I still couldn't make any sense of it, so I headed back down to the park of recovery with my spikes and tried (and failed!) to run the course for tomorrow's race. Fell short by about a half a mile, so I just made up the difference before heading home. The 'going' is pretty firm, so I think 6" spikes are the order of business.

Summary: 6 miles in 43:38, @7:12/mile, HR=140

Advertisement