Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    Here you go :D
    Thanks. Not exactly spoiled for choice for the 400m. There's a Grade C race on the 4th July, which looks about the best of the lot. There's a little more choice for 800m.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks. Not exactly spoiled for choice for the 400m. There's a Grade C race on the 4th July, which looks about the best of the lot. There's a little more choice for 800m.

If you go down to your club and talk to the competitions secretary you might find a few more. There's are interclubs in June and July, Leinster senior & masters championship in June (in Tullamore), probably lots more I don't know about. You'd have to enter as part of a club team, I guess, so they might not suit if you won't know your work schedule far in advance.

Here's the interclubs entry
    http://www.athleticsireland.ie/content/wp-content/uploads/2006/05/entry-form-and-informationleague12.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I think 3 of the 8 meets have a 400m available so there's a few opportunities there. The amount of grades would depend on how many people show up on the night.

04072511 wrote: »
    I think 3 of the 8 meets have a 400m available so there's a few opportunities there. The amount of grades would depend on how many people show up on the night.
    I'm not going to enter a 400m where the standard of the rest of the runners is 50-55 seconds. It'd be brutal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I'm not going to enter a 400m where the standard of the rest of the runners is 50-55 seconds. It'd be brutal.

There will always be a few 58-61 second runners at each graded meet so you've nothing to worry about. Also I set my PB in a race where the 2nd slowest was 54 so it can be done, though obviously better to have more people closer to your level to race off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

. Dublin? London? Not sure yet, but when it comes around, I'll give it everything.

Congratulations on a wonderful race and an equally wonderful report.

London has been known to get very warm weather and with your luck.... I think you should target Dublin

This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm worried you'll bring the sun to London:)

Marthastew wrote: »
    Congratulations on a wonderful race and an equally wonderful report.

London has been known to get very warm weather and with your luck.... I think you should target Dublin

This has nothing to do with the fact that I'm worried you'll bring the sun to London:)
    Thanks! I dunno though. I think everyone should have the pleasure of enjoying a marathon in tropical sun-tanning conditions. Two holidays for the price of one. :cool:

Yesterday: 30 minute run and 60 minute cycle brick session

Nice, but largely pointless 4 mile run at lunchtime, with a 6 hour transition (need to work on these) to the bike, for a nice setting sun bike ride around Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Killiney. Should really have stopped off at the 40 foot for a quick dip to complete the trinity, but I didn't bring my togs (not that it's ever slowed anyone down at the 40 foot). Feeling lousy today, so will try to take a rest day.

Today: 5 miles steady. Tried a rest day; Failed. Legs feeling too good to waste, so headed to the park after work for a steady trot. Dunno what's happened, must be all the races, but legs feel back to normal.

Summary: 5.4 miles in 36 mins, HR=143

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Newbie here enjoying the thread...Fresh (sort of!) from London and looking forward to Berlin... where's next on everyone's Marathon timetable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Yesterday: 30 minute run and 60 minute cycle brick session

Nice, but largely pointless 4 mile run at lunchtime, with a 6 hour transition (need to work on these) to the bike, for a nice setting sun bike ride around Dun Laoghaire, Dalkey and Killiney. Should really have stopped off at the 40 foot for a quick dip to complete the trinity, but I didn't bring my togs (not that it's ever slowed anyone down at the 40 foot). Feeling lousy today, so will try to take a rest day.

You are now doing brick sessions?? :eek:;) We really do need to work on your swimming!
    Today: 5 miles steady. Tried a rest day; Failed. Legs feeling too good to waste, so headed to the park after work for a steady trot. Dunno what's happened, must be all the races, but legs feel back to normal.

Summary: 5.4 miles in 36 mins, HR=143

Legs might feel better because of the 60 minutes of cycling you did the evening before. Spinning "it" out works like a charm for me! :)

Question for you, if you don't mind - I am trying to work on my uphill and downhill running techniques. I understand from a few fab hill runners around these parts (hello the artist formerly known as dpop!) that it's best to shorten the stride when running uphill, so then should I lengthen my stride (as I gently lean forward) when running downhill? Thanks!!

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Newbie here enjoying the thread...Fresh (sort of!) from London and looking forward to Berlin... where's next on everyone's Marathon timetable?

Welcome Rolex_. How did London go for you? No marathons on the cards for me. I have an itching to go and run the inaugural Waterford marathon, but thankfully I seem to be able to suppress these crazy ideas!

Yesterday: 5 miles easy
    Today: 5 miles recovery

A quiet running weekend (no races for the first time in about 5 weeks), so the most exciting thing happening is that my 910 watch has hit 1,000 running miles!

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Question for you, if you don't mind - I am trying to work on my uphill and downhill running techniques. I understand from a few fab hill runners around these parts (hello the artist formerly known as dpop!) that it's best to shorten the stride when running uphill, so then should I lengthen my stride (as I gently lean forward) when running downhill? Thanks!!
    Hi Dory Dory, if mountain running were the NHL, I'd be the Columbus Blue Jackets. Sure I know the principles of the game, but generally, I suck. But, we're lucky enough to have the equivalent of the NY Rangers, the Bruins, the Canucks and the Blues, posting regularly on these here forums, and most of 'em can be found contributing on this thread: downhill and this thread: uphill.

Hi Dory Dory, if mountain running were the NHL, I'd be the Columbus Blue Jackets. Sure I know the principles of the game, but generally, I suck. But, we're lucky enough to have the equivalent of the NY Rangers, the Bruins, the Canucks and the Blues, posting regularly on these here forums, and most of 'em can be found contributing on this thread: downhill and this thread: uphill.

Eh hem.....so...um, what? My Caps are chopped liver?? Surely this must be an honest oversight on the part of the Clown. ;)

Eh hem.....so...um, what? My Caps are chopped liver?? Surely this must be an honest oversight on the part of the Clown. ;)
    Nah, the Capitals post on a different forum. :)

I'm afraid to ask which one. ;)

:(

The Kenyan forum? :)

The Kenyan forum? :)
    Follow the sad face.

:eek:
    :mad:
    Bad Clown! Very, very bad Clown!!

• Advertisement

Welcome Rolex_. How did London go for you?

Thanks :) London was great. Ran a 3:02 which was a PB by 12 mins - only really got into the discipline and training over the last year and ran a debut 3:14 in Berlin last September. Couldn't quite keep with the 3 hr pacer over the last hard miles so I'll just have to go again :D (Berlin in Sepember)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Nah, the Capitals post on a different forum. :)

Capitals wont be posting much until next year....all eyes on the kings now to see if thay can close out on a clean sweep....again!

Thanks :) London was great. Ran a 3:02 which was a PB by 12 mins - only really got into the discipline and training over the last year and ran a debut 3:14 in Berlin last September. Couldn't quite keep with the 3 hr pacer over the last hard miles so I'll just have to go again :D (Berlin in Sepember)
    Nicely done. You'll nail it in Berlin.

Today: 11 Mile road/hill trail run
    3 Miles to the base of Bray Head, then up along the ridge of hills towards Greystones, getting lost a little among the sea-fog and the hills, before turning back and retracing my steps. Running up in Bray Head is just the best that running has to offer. The views down the sheer 200m drop to the sea are just spectacular. On a nice day, you could be forgiven for thinking you were in Big Sur in California. Shame about the 6 miles travelling through Bray, which just isn't designed for runners, having to weave between the bollards, buggies, bikes and broken beer bottles. Time to start scheming some good hill/trail runs.

Afterwards, went for a swim with my young 'un:
    66 yards, consisting of:
    25 yards front crawl
    25 yards breast stroke
    16 yards some kind of hybrid arm/leg rotation thing
    30 minutes of splishy-splashy with floaty things
    All in all, I think it was a good session. :)

Summary: 11.1 miles in 1:28, @7:52/mile, HR=135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Afterwards, went for a swim with my young 'un:
    66 yards, consisting of:
    25 yards front crawl
    25 yards breast stroke
    16 yards some kind of hybrid arm/leg rotation thing
    30 minutes of splishy-splashy with floaty things
    All in all, I think it was a good session. :)

Great sesh dude, but I'd say "too much too soon".

PS How much were the floaty things, worth shelling out 100 clams for the time benefit? Scan of receipt will do. See you in Athy.

Nicely done. You'll nail it in Berlin.

Thanks v much... 3 more minutes should be findable :D

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Great sesh dude, but I'd say "too much too soon".

PS How much were the floaty things, worth shelling out 100 clams for the time benefit? Scan of receipt will do. See you in Athy.
    I got the best bang for my buck with the carbon fibre budgie smugglers. Because they match the sun-glasses in the pool, if you catch me at just the right angle from the viewing area, it looks like I ripple like a fish.

Thanks v much... 3 more minutes should be findable :D
    Definitely. I ran Berlin in 2009 in 3:00 (20 minute PB), and again in 2010 in 2:48 (7 minute PB), so definitely a course with great potential for a good run. If there are any hot days here in Ireland, you'd do well to get out and train in the heat just in case (we had a hot one in 2009, where it finished at around 24'C). Thankfully the race starts early, so if it does get hot, it'll be the last few miles were you notice it most, and there is some shade available in the streets of Berlin.

Definitely. I ran Berlin in 2009 in 3:00 (20 minute PB), and again in 2010 in 2:48 (7 minute PB), so definitely a course with great potential for a good run. If there are any hot days here in Ireland, you'd do well to get out and train in the heat just in case (we had a hot one in 2009, where it finished at around 24'C). Thankfully the race starts early, so if it does get hot, it'll be the last few miles were you notice it most, and there is some shade available in the streets of Berlin.

Thanks for that. It got up to 21-22C in Berlin last September and thankfully the heat didn't bother me too much. I see you paced Dublin. I was committed to running there 5 weeks after Berlin so I did. Went out hoping to run 3:10 but wilted around Clonskeagh and limped home in 3:17- I remember your balloons passing me around the RDS somewhere! Bottom line is I found the humidity and heat early on -followed by the wind going out Crumlin - in Dublin harder than I did the 20+ in Berlin. Agree also in Berlin there's often a shady side of the street- I availed of it often even if it involved straying off the racing line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Thanks for that. It got up to 21-22C in Berlin last September and thankfully the heat didn't bother me too much. I see you paced Dublin. I was committed to running there 5 weeks after Berlin so I did. Went out hoping to run 3:10 but wilted around Clonskeagh and limped home in 3:17- I remember your balloons passing me around the RDS somewhere! Bottom line is I found the humidity and heat early on -followed by the wind going out Crumlin - in Dublin harder than I did the 20+ in Berlin. Agree also in Berlin there's often a shady side of the street- I availed of it often even if it involved straying off the racing line

You weren't the only one, it was like running in a sauna until we cleared the park.

Advertisement