Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Thanks for that. It got up to 21-22C in Berlin last September and thankfully the heat didn't bother me too much. I see you paced Dublin. I was committed to running there 5 weeks after Berlin so I did. Went out hoping to run 3:10 but wilted around Clonskeagh and limped home in 3:17- I remember your balloons passing me around the RDS somewhere! Bottom line is I found the humidity and heat early on -followed by the wind going out Crumlin - in Dublin harder than I did the 20+ in Berlin. Agree also in Berlin there's often a shady side of the street- I availed of it often even if it involved straying off the racing line
    Ah right. Didn't realize you'd done the race before. You won't be needing my redundant advice then! Best of luck with the training. I promise not to pass you with a balloon in Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Ah right. Didn't realize you'd done the race before. You won't be needing my redundant advice then! Best of luck with the training. I promise not to pass you with a balloon in Berlin!

Not at all. If there was single change you made that you'd credit for your success in knocking chunks off your PB to 3 hrs and then well below, what would be it be? (apart from the obvious "more mileage";))

Rolex_ wrote: »
    Not at all. If there was single change you made that you'd credit for your success in knocking chunks off your PB to 3 hrs and then well below, what would be it be? (apart from the obvious "more mileage";))
    From 3:20 -> 3:00 was really down to switching to a formalized training plan, rather than a makey-uppey Hal Higdon 'go out and run 5 x 20mile long runs' type plan.
    All the rest of the gains (3:00 -> 2:55 -> 2:48:11 -> 2:48:10 -> 2:46:39) have been down to:
    Consistent 7 day per week year-round training
    Increasing the mileage and intensity of training during marathon peaks
    Including supporting exercise (weights and core)
    Identifying injuries early and getting them sorted
    ... and lots of hot weather (interfering with PB plans!). No silver bullets I'm afraid. Miles and more miles..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

From 3:20 -> 3:00 was really down to switching to a formalized training plan, rather than a makey-uppey Hal Higdon 'go out and run 5 x 20mile long runs' type plan.
    All the rest of the gains (3:00 -> 2:55 -> 2:48:11 -> 2:48:10 -> 2:46:39) have been down to:
    ... and lots of hot weather (interfering with PB plans!). No silver bullets I'm afraid. Miles and more miles..

Has luck kept you from getting fatigued/worn down? I find it impossible to get enough rest with the kids and I know you have to travel for work on top of that, how do you continue to up the effort without exhausting yourself?

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    Had Keith123 along for the run, so this was done proper-recovery style, at 8:16/mile, with a HR in the low 120s. Nice and humid out there, but no signs of the promised heat-wave around Clondalkin (they've not been paying the sunshine tax).

• Advertisement

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Has luck kept you from getting fatigued/worn down? I find it impossible to get enough rest with the kids and I know you have to travel for work on top of that, how do you continue to up the effort without exhausting yourself?
    I'm not travelling that much this year (only one trip so far). I eat well (which helps) and drink lots of beer (which has got to be good for you!). I got running fatigue after Berlin in 2010, so I stayed off all training programs for 6 months and just focused on enjoying my running, while keeping the mileage up (I set myself weekly mileage targets). I lost very little speed, and ran a 10 mile race just one minute slower than my PB. Same thing happened after Chicago last September. Running fatigue set in, and the planned 5k and 10k training plans got canned. I also picked up a chest infection at Christmas, but instead of training through it (as I tried the previous year and extended my illness for 6 weeks), I stopped immediately until I was better and lost one week instead of 6.

Sure, I get tired all of the time, but I just adjust my running for that day accordingly. I can't stop training altogether, as Abhainn is already 10 minutes faster than me over the marathon, and the gap is widening. ;) Did I mention that my kids are now 18 and 12 (almost)? That helps! I started running around 4/5 years ago, so they were already pretty grown up.

I'm not travelling that much this year (only one trip so far). I eat well (which helps) and drink lots of beer (which has got to be good for you!). I got running fatigue after Berlin in 2010, so I stayed off all training programs for 6 months and just focused on enjoying my running, while keeping the mileage up (I set myself weekly mileage targets). I lost very little speed, and ran a 10 mile race just one minute slower than my PB. Same thing happened after Chicago last September. Running fatigue set in, and the planned 5k and 10k training plans got canned. I also picked up a chest infection at Christmas, but instead of training through it (as I tried the previous year and extended my illness for 6 weeks), I stopped immediately until I was better and lost one week instead of 6.

Sure, I get tired all of the time, but I just adjust my running for that day accordingly. I can't stop training altogether, as Abhainn is already 10 minutes faster than me over the marathon, and the gap is widening. ;) Did I mention that my kids are now 18 and 12 (almost)? That helps! I started running around 4/5 years ago, so they were already pretty grown up.

You must have been a child bride groom?

Good to know, I'm learning the foot off the accelerator rule myself through painful experience. :)

Good to know, I'm learning the foot off the accelerator rule myself through painful experience. :)
    Absolutely. When everyone else was partying through their twenties, we were knee deep in nappies and debt, and running was something the washing machine did when clothes were dirty. We've done our penance; now it's our turn to party. :D Now of course all of our friends are knee-deep in nappies and debt, so we're all dressed-up with nowhere to go.. :(

Absolutely. When everyone else was partying through their twenties, we were knee deep in nappies and debt, and running was something the washing machine did when clothes were dirty. We've done our penance; now it's our turn to party. :D Now of course all of our friends are knee-deep in nappies and debt, so we're all dressed-up with nowhere to go.. :(

There's two possible solutions to that, make friends with older couples and discuss the finer points of denture sterilization or make a dramatic return to sleepless nights and get reused to not caring too much when you wipe some of the contents of your new addition's nappy across your forehead.

Which is it to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Thanks for that. Really only at this for a year. Managed 3:14 first outing on makey-uppey with just three 20 milers. Got down to 3:02 on 4-5 days per week but consistent 45-50 per week for 3.5 months. Managed a few long runs at sub -3:10 pace but did virtually no speedwork or tempos at TMP of 6:50 of faster - apart from 3 races I did during the 3.5 months.
    All the training plans I'm looking at are telling me I need to up my game and do 25-30% of my mileage (and of a higher mileage) at TMP or faster.
    Closer to M50 than M40 though so time is not on my side - though at least my legs havent years of heavy pounding on them...;)

• Advertisement

Monday evening: 50 minute cycle
    Making the most of the glow-ball, headed out for a handy loop around Stepaside and down Cornelscourt Hill (Wheee!) and back home along the N11 for a little over 20 kms. Myself and my siblings used to fly down Cornelscourt Hill when we were but ankle-biters, until the nice men at the Garda station informed our parents that it might be unsafe having 5 years olds hitting speeds of 40 mph on rickety bicycles. Massive improvement having the Garmin on the handlebars instead of my wrist, as it's easy to see when I'm being lazy and can increase the effort levels accordingly. I'm nearly as bad on the bike as I am at swimming. :o Hopefully a few round-trips to work will help sort that out (20 miles each way).

Summary: 20.5k in 49:02, @25kph

Tuesday evening: 6.3 mile hill/trail run
    Long work day, but an equally long stretch to the evening meant that after I had stuck the dinner on, I was still able to get out for my hill-run at 8:45pm. Rewarded with an amazing sunset, single person occupancy of the hills and trails, amazing 360' vistas and the day's sh1te quickly melted away. Legs and body feeling quite tired, but a quick flick back and I've only taken one rest day since Kildare. Wedding this weekend, so running will likely take a backseat, and I'll be forced to take the much needed rest.

Summary: 6.3 miles in 54 mins, @8:33/mile

Today: 5 mile recovery
    Glorious sunshine, partially naked clown, happy out. :D Then I had to go back to work. :(
    Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, @8:05/mile

Today: 11 mile steady run
    Work trumped a day-time run, which in hindsight was a good thing, as I was able to run a fast one in the rapidly cooling evening. A few miles were in order, as with a good buddy's wedding tomorrow, I needed to offset my beer foot-print for the weekend. A pleasant three mile climb chasing the sunset, before an even more pleasant downhill, chasing the beckoning darkness, interrupted only by a luxurious 5 minutes in the loo in Cornelscourt shopping centre. Every marathon should have a mandatory 5 minute loo break. There'd be a lot less heart-attacks and the whole experience (pun not intended) would be a lot more enjoyable for everyone.

Summary: 11.35 miles in 1:15, @6:40/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Great result in Kildare Krusty, way to go to bang out a super time like that, so soon after Boston too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

You have just described my life in that post apart from the fact we are still about 8 years off the "all dressed with nowhere to go" bit:)

You have just described my life in that post apart from the fact we are still about 8 years off the "all dressed with nowhere to go" bit:)

We're 11 years off :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

[ Every marathon should have a mandatory 5 minute loo break. There'd be a lot less heart-attacks and the whole experience (pun not intended) would be a lot more enjoyable for everyone.
    not the jax cleaner upper guy...

Disappointing weekend of running. Had Friday off to attend a mate's wedding, so planned a nice recovery run on Friday morning, but ended up working up until I had to leg it out the door to the church. Was in Portmarnock for the weekend, so managed a nice 5 mile post-wedding hangover recovery run along the coast with a lovely fresh breeze @7:18/mile. Followed this with a nice dip in the sea, with the watch demonstrating my inability to raise my wrist above sea-level to register any satellite track-points (apparently I swim in perfect right angles), but it was a wonderful head-clearing experience. Another night of celebrating, and we headed back home.

I set my sights on a solid 15 mile run on Sunday, but spent the afternoon throwing frisbees and playing on the exercise equipment in the local park catching up on missed family-time. Cooked dinner, done the shopping, and by 10pm I was feeling lousy after the weekend's festivities. Got the gear on and headed out, but was feeling worse and worse so managed 5.5 miles before making a mad dash for home, deflated.

Today: 6 mile recovery run
    A far more pleasant undertaking today, with a nice run in the last of the sunshine around Corkagh Park. Only planned 5 miles, but Keith123 and I had to take a detour when we spied a portly lady sunbathing in a thong, and had to run an extra half mile just to avoid the unpleasantness (it was either that our gouge out our eyes). Summer's over. Back to the woolly jumpers.

Summary: 6 miles in 47 mins, @7:53/mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Don't worry krusty, we all know what you meant to write................

I had to take a detour when we spied a portly lady sunbathing in a thong, and had to run an extra half mile just to catch up with her

Don't worry krusty, we all know what you meant to write................
    Nah... As Keith123 is my witness, it was worse than the guy wearing the mankini in the Adidas race series. :)

Last night: 5k run, 21k bike, 5k run

Feeling unsatisfied with my weekend's running, I headed back out with the plan of seeing what a duathlon would feel like in my legs. Pumped up my tyres, got helmet and gloves ready, and headed out for a pleasant 5k run in the sun, in 20:16. Quick drink, helmet and gloves on, watch on the handlebars and got ready to leave the house. Where's my bike shoes? Slowest transition evah, as I hunted around wardrobes upstairs. Finally onto the bike, and a 21k out and back to the Glenview Hotel (in 43 mins), which felt almost refreshing after the run in the sun. Deposited the bike, run shoes back on, and out for a final 5k. Legs didn't feel too bad, but the stomach was cramping, so had to slow a few times. All in all, an interesting experiment and I felt suitably bushed afterwards, bringing my running and cycling total to a far more satisfying 20k/21k, respectively.

5k run: 20:16, @6:31/mile, HR=142
    21k cycle: 43:03, @29.5k/hr, HR=130
    5k run: 21:06, @6:40/mile, HR=139

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

We really need to work on your swim. You'd be deadly. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    We really need to work on your swim. You'd be deadly. ;)
    Don't you mean fatal? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Don't you mean fatal? :)

I guess that's one way of putting it. ;)
    But more importantly, think of the entertainment value we gentle readers would derive from your epic post mortems, I mean, race reports. :D

Today: 6 mile recovery run, @8:06, in 48:32, HR=~120

Daytime: 7.5 Mile run down to Wheelworx and back, from work to pick up a set of pedals with toe-clips
    Evening: 10.7 mile cycle + 5k run

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

5k run: 20:16, @6:31/mile, HR=142
    21k cycle: 43:03, @29.5k/hr, HR=130
    5k run: 21:06, @6:40/mile, HR=139

KC you might be a dab hand at multi sports yet;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

mods: surely must be time to move this log to the cycling forum ? :P

Advertisement