Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

mods: surely must be time to move this log to the cycling forum ? :P

Less cycling, more sprinting Krusty! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

04072511 wrote: »
    Less cycling, more sprinting Krusty! ;)
    I hear you loud and clear.

Today: 21k cycle and 5k run :)
    Plans for a bike/run excursion to a forest near Clondalkin after work were scuppered by another work day that dragged on until 8:30pm, so myself and Keith123 abandoned the plan and headed back to the relative safety of Shankill. A 21km bike loop along the N11 to the Glenview Hotel and back. Makes a change to cycle with somebody else and it showed me clearly just how crap I am on the bike, quickly falling 100m behind, any time he put the foot down. A nice easy 5k afterwards saw the roles reversed. Think I need to get a bike fit, as my achilles are quite sore after a cycle/run workout.

Bike: 21km in 45 mins, @26.6km, HR=121
    Run: 5km in 21:42, @6:65/mile, HR=139

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

I hear you loud and clear.

Today: 21k cycle and 5k run :)
    Plans for a bike/run excursion to a forest near Clondalkin after work were scuppered by another work day that dragged on until 8:30pm, so myself and Keith123 abandoned the plan and headed back to the relative safety of Shankill. A 21km bike loop along the N11 to the Glenview Hotel and back. Makes a change to cycle with somebody else and it showed me clearly just how crap I am on the bike, quickly falling 100m behind, any time he put the foot down. A nice easy 5k afterwards saw the roles reversed. Think I need to get a bike fit, as my achilles are quite sore after a cycle/run workout.

Bike: 21km in 45 mins, @26.6km, HR=121
    Run: 5km in 21:42, @6:65/mile, HR=139

6:65/mile? That sounds so much better than the alternative. I may have to steal this from you. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    6:65/mile? That sounds so much better than the alternative. I may have to steal this from you. ;)

... and a couple of weeks back, I ran a 5k in 16:61! :)

Today: Hill sprints
    Crazy work week capped off with another 12 hour day yesterday and a date with Ridley Scott in the evening, and I didn't get a chance to run yesterday. Bugger it. So a bit of a self-indulgent run today, stealing <insert phone number here>'s recent hill sprints session. A three mile warm-up took me to one of a number of choice local hills (this time up Sutton's Lane; a nice rural rolling hill route, with a nasty kick at the end). After the warm-up I found myself at the nasty kick and ran 8 x 150m. Recovery was a slow jog, and a wait until my HR returned to below 115bpm (emphasis this time on mechanics, rather than cardio).

After that I went to the steepest part of the hill and ran 3x60m, recovering to 120bpm. A very enjoyable session. Having never done short intervals, it was a bit of a blast. Three miles warm-down back to sea level.
    Summary: 8 miles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Was this a local run?
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset

Today: Hill sprints
    Crazy work week capped off with another 12 hour day yesterday and a date with Ridley Scott in the evening, and I didn't get a chance to run yesterday. Bugger it. So a bit of a self-indulgent run today, stealing <insert phone number here>'s recent hill sprints session. A three mile warm-up took me to one of a number of choice local hills (this time up Sutton's Lane; a nice rural rolling hill route, with a nasty kick at the end). After the warm-up I found myself at the nasty kick and ran 8 x 150m. Recovery was a slow jog, and a wait until my HR returned to below 115bpm (emphasis this time on mechanics, rather than cardio).

After that I went to the steepest part of the hill and ran 3x60m, recovering to 120bpm. A very enjoyable session. Having never done short intervals, it was a bit of a blast. Three miles warm-down back to sea level.
    Summary: 8 miles

Good work. Interesting method with the jog back as opposed to a slow walk. I think that's pure craziness :p

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Was this a local run?
    java.net.SocketException: Connection reset
    Weird. It's working for me. Garmin fairies must have been enjoying a few long weekend brews!

Good work. Interesting method with the jog back as opposed to a slow walk. I think that's pure craziness :p
    More a case of not reading your post properly! I did wait until my HR reached full recovery before starting the next one, and some of my jogs back down were backwards (to stretch the Achilles, rather than practise backwards tomfoolery!)

So, what's next? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

A full length mirror, lycra body suit, sunglasses and a gold chain should do it. Very little actual running involved in prepping for the 400m :-)

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    A full length mirror, lycra body suit, sunglasses and a gold chain should do it. Very little actual running involved in prepping for the 400m :-)
    :) I have the sunglasses, but will have to hit Wiggle for everything else. I just want a book, which says: Today do this. Tomorrow, do that. The next day, three of these and two of those. The 400 seems to be firmly in the domain of the track free-masons. Have you run a 400m Simon?

No, haven't gone below 3,000m. Would like to give it a go at some stage. But where as 3k is close to road running etc, 400m just seems to belong to another world entirely. The county champs is always a good place to try these things out though - has the Wicklow one come and gone?

Ooooohhhh, he went there!! :)

More a case of not reading your post properly! I did wait until my HR reached full recovery before starting the next one, and some of my jogs back down were backwards (to stretch the Achilles, rather than practise backwards tomfoolery!)

Throw in some speed endurance sessions. Something like 4x300 at very close to flat out, with 4 minutes between each rep would be a good session. Or 5x200 with 3 mins break. Or a pyramid session of 100-200-300-300-200-100 with 3 mins between each. Lots of different sessions you can do really.

No, haven't gone below 3,000m. Would like to give it a go at some stage. But where as 3k is close to road running etc, 400m just seems to belong to another world entirely. The county champs is always a good place to try these things out though - has the Wicklow one come and gone?
    I think that was the event that took place the day before Kildare marathon. They had an 800m, but no 400. Looks like I'll have to strut my stuff at one of the graded meets, if I'm going to have a pop. Anyone else going to the graded meets? It'd be good to have a bit of moral support.

Ooooohhhh, he went there!! :)

yeah - apologies for novice level 400m joke. was the best i could do.

Today: 18 Mile mystery tour

Bit of a knot in my calf after yesterday's hill sprints, so I figured I'd play it safe and do a nice easy 15 mile long run along the coast. I have a habit of straying from my planned route. Still, I was quite surprised when I found myself immersed in the clouds at the top of Ticknock. Not what I had planned. So an extra three miles and a mountain, which weren't part of the original plan, but it makes up for the average running week and gives me a total of just under 60 miles for the last seven days. Tomorrow, I'll be sore.

Summary: 18 miles in 2:19, @7:44/mile, HR=133

Today: 21k cycle + failed run
    Woke up with the knot in my calf feeling much tighter (that's what happens when you have a niggle, and then stupidly don't stick to your running plan) so headed out on the bike for 21k in the sunshine. I'm toying with the idea of a duathlon, so swapped out the SPD pedals for some toe-clips, to see what kind of negative impact it would have on my speed. I cycled 5 seconds faster for the 21km route, but my HR was up from last Monday's cycle of the same route (130bpm -> 139bpm) so I clearly had to work a lot harder for the same pace.

Headed into the Wimmen's mini marathon afterwards, and it was great to see Linda Byrne, MarthaStew and the other elites looking so strong at the 8km mark. Had planned on running the 8 miles home from Donnybrook afterwards, but a short jog indicated in no uncertain terms that a run was off the cards. Decided I'd naively try again on the grass when we got home, but again, I managed 150m, before realizing again that a run was not going to happen. Time to call the physio. :(

Summary: 21.37km cycle in 42:55, @29.9 km/hour, HR=139

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Today: I'm toying with the idea of a duathlon, so swapped out the SPD pedals for some toe-clips, to see what kind of negative impact it would have on my speed. I cycled 5 seconds faster for the 21km route, but my HR was up from last Monday's cycle of the same route (130bpm -> 139bpm) so I clearly had to work a lot harder for the same pace.

Big difference alright! I'm told between 5-10%, more on hillier courses, and in practice that seems about right. I had regular pedals on my bike tonight, and having got used to the SPD's, it was a lesson in the huge difference between them. No power!

One thing you might consider for a duathlon is lock laces. I'm no expert by any means, but having suffered in transition changing bike shoes to runners, I bought these. The top guys seem to just slip their feet into the runners, tighten, and they're off in the same stride.

PS Great to see you targeting a Duathlon. What one do you have in mind? Any chance you might put that 910 to good use and get some swims in too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    PS Great to see you targeting a Duathlon. What one do you have in mind? Any chance you might put that 910 to good use and get some swims in too?

Never mind him. When are you doing a triathlon?

• Advertisement

Never mind him. When are you doing a triathlon?

That's what I said, you looper. Christ, if you weren't so cute, you'd be annoying.

What'll it be, Mr. Clown? The Lough Key Tri in Sept?

That's what I said, you looper. What'll it be, Mr. Clown? The Lough Key Tri in Sept?

I was asking you you looper. :p

That's what I said, you looper. Christ, if you weren't so cute, you'd be annoying.

What'll it be, Mr. Clown? The Lough Key Tri in Sept?
    I think the triathlete was addressing you, Mr. obstacle course. :)

No need to call me names. :(

I was asking you you looper. :p

Serious brain melt these days. Next up:

Eireman X 23rd June,
    Racing 795 Tri Bunclody 5th Aug,

and then we'll see. I'm going to have a "friends" off-road Tri some time in August, still working on plans. Focus is on a get-together around Glenmalure, so if anyone was thinking of running the first half of the WW around then, it might be a good time to meet up.

Not that this is a triathlon thread or anything, but you really think clipping in is the way to go? What about time spent at the bike to run transition? Obviously the fact the everyone clips in answers my question, but I have never clipped in so I'm struggling with the concept and worried about the learning curve between now and my supposed tri in August.

Not that this is a triathlon thread or anything, but you really think clipping in is the way to go? What about time spent at the bike to run transition? Obviously the fact the everyone clips in answers my question, but I have never clipped in so I'm struggling with the concept and worried about the learning curve between now and my supposed tri in August.
    It seems to make a lot of sense, and there's little doubt that it's far more efficient. In my case though, because I'm such an inexperienced cyclist, I reckon I'll gain more time in the two transitions by using toe-clips and wearing my running shoes, than I'll lose by using using toe-clips instead of clipless (SPD). Plus I don't have a decent pair of bike shoes. I'm really just doing it as Keith123 is doing it, but it should be fun, as I reckon he'll be 4-5 minutes quicker than me on the bike (it's a 5k-20k-5k in Donadea next weekend), so I've to beat him in the 5ks by around 2:30 each. Should be do-able (if my calf recovers) but it'll keep it interesting.

In a cost analysis scenario, I guess the transition time is sort of like a fixed overhead cost while the cost savings of clipping in is sort of based on the number of widgets produced. The more widgets, the more savings. Therefore, in shorter distances in the saddle with multiple transitions, I think you will get the most bang for your buck cycling in your runners. What is keith123 doing in this regard? :)

In a cost analysis scenario, I guess the transition time is sort of like a fixed overhead cost while the cost savings of clipping in is sort I of based on the number of widgets produced. The more widgets, the more savings. Therefore, in shorter distances in the saddle with multiple transitions, I think you will get the most bang for your buck cycling in your runners. What is keith123 doing in this regard? :)
    That's my thought process (but I'm also trying to finish as far up the field as I can. Keith's not the only target!). My logic may be flawed though. It may be that I use up so much energy on the cycle just trying to maintain a competitive speed, that I shag myself for the final run. Who knows? That's part of the fun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

In a cost analysis scenario, I guess the transition time is sort of like a fixed overhead cost while the cost savings of clipping in is sort of based on the number of widgets produced. The more widgets, the more savings. Therefore, in shorter distances in the saddle with multiple transitions, I think you will get the most bang for your buck cycling in your runners. What is keith123 doing in this regard? :)

Hey Dory Dory, I'll be using my Tri Bike Shoes - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37650 - I get the full benefit of using these on the cycle and my technique on approach to the transition at the end of the bike is to remove my feet out of the shoes about 500m out so I can still cycle with my feet on top of them - it's the same going from the run to bike - just cycle with my feet on top of the shoes and slip them in while the bike is in motion - it takes a bit of getting use to but I've had plenty of practice over the years doing the Phoenix park Duathlon's. The only problem I could have and what happened to me at the HellFire Duathlon earlier this year was the stones in transition! My feet where killing me by the time I got to the bike rack... we plan to go out and do the route tomorrow to see what's out there as I've never seen this place before. I did get a detailed route from the organizer over the weekend so this'll help me see the terrain around the transition are which is apparently opposite the castle... link below.

Donadea Route JPG - 7MB

Advertisement