Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

keith123 wrote: »
    Hey Dory Dory, I'll be using my Tri Bike Shoes - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=37650 - I get the full benefit of using these on the cycle and my technique on approach to the transition at the end of the bike is to remove my feet out of the shoes about 500m out so I can still cycle with my feet on top of them - it's the same going from the run to bike - just cycle with my feet on top of the shoes and slip them in while the bike is in motion - it takes a bit of getting use to but I've had plenty of practice over the years doing the Phoenix park Duathlon's. The only problem I could have and what happened to me at the HellFire Duathlon earlier this year was the stones in transition! My feet where killing me by the time I got to the bike rack... we plan to go out and do the route tomorrow to see what's out there as I've never seen this place before. I did get a detailed route from the organizer over the weekend so this'll help me see the terrain around the transition are which is apparently opposite the castle... link below.

Donadea Route JPG - 7MB

Sounds like you're a pro at this transition thing. What kind of laces have you got in your runners? I'll be quite interested in your transition time compared to Krusty's. The two of you with your different styles/backgrounds/strengths/weaknesses will make this race a real study in the art of the duathlon. Can't wait!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Sounds like you're a pro at this transition thing. What kind of laces have you got in your runners? I'll be quite interested in your transition time compared to Krusty's. The two of you with your different styles/backgrounds/strengths/weaknesses will make this race a real study in the art of the duathlon. Can't wait!!!! :)
    Ahh.. My arch-nemesis has arrived. No doubt reading my log to pick up all of my strategies and identify my weak-spots. take everything he types with a pinch of salt, as he could be just trying to inject some falsehoods to slow me down. In fact, take everything I type with a pinch of salt too, as I could be just trying to slow him down, with false strategies. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

I use lock laces LockLacesAll_Grid.jpg

There nice and quick for transition - depending on the weather I'm not sure if I should wear my Inov8's or Asic road runners - 10/12mm of rain on Thursday/Friday forecast - Saturday (Race day) is to be nice thou.

I don't know what Krusty is talking about it be close between us - he'll be at least 4-5 minutes ahead of my by the end. I might be close by the end of the bike but that's about it tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Hey Krusty, are you contemplating a 400m? I saw you posting on Pisco's log and that drew my attention to yours. Hope it goes well for you and good to see someone else trying out a sprint distance ;)

Hi RandyMann, yeah, I'm hoping to have a pop at the 400m over the next couple of months, with the plan of trying to crack under 60 seconds. I've never done track, I've never done sprinting and I've only ever run two races shorter than 5k (both in the last few weeks). and did I mention that I haven't a clue what I'm doing? So I'm certainly not approaching it the right way.

To make thing worse, after following up a hill sprints session with an 18 mile mountainous run, I've injured my calf and can't run at the moment. Hoping things will be better next week and I'll be able to commence some proper sessions. Now I just need to figure out what a proper session is, so if you have any tips, they would be most welcome!

• Advertisement

Today: 21.8km cycle
    Headed to Donadea with Keith123, with our bikes strapped to his trusty carriage. Plan was a 'recce of the bike section of the upcoming duathlon, followed by a run, if my strained calf muscle was playing ball. Nice ride around the country roads surrounding Donadea, though the road surface is just a little rough to make good solid progress. Ditched the bikes afterwards and went for a short run to check-out the terrain on the run loop (I've done two 50k races in the forest, but Keith had never seen it). Unfortunately the calf was having none of it. Fingers crossed it'll be sorted by Saturday morning (duathlon day). Would be a shame to miss my one and only bike race.

Summary: 13.57 miles in 45:48, @28.6 km/hour, HR=126 (after removing the dodgy Garmin HR data).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

Hi RandyMann, yeah, I'm hoping to have a pop at the 400m over the next couple of months, with the plan of trying to crack under 60 seconds. I've never done track, I've never done sprinting and I've only ever run two races shorter than 5k (both in the last few weeks). and did I mention that I haven't a clue what I'm doing? So I'm certainly not approaching it the right way.

To make thing worse, after following up a hill sprints session with an 18 mile mountainous run, I've injured my calf and can't run at the moment. Hoping things will be better next week and I'll be able to commence some proper sessions. Now I just need to figure out what a proper session is, so if you have any tips, they would be most welcome!

Sorry to hear about your injury Krusty. As regards sessions on the track, Pisco wont be putting you wrong.
    What I do is 200m max and never raced a proper 400(just did a 400 relay for fun) so my sessions would be a bit on the short side. What I am doing at the moment is mainly short speed work to sharpen speed during race season. Something like 150m repeats etc and split 200s, also 30s and 60s off blocks.
    Something simple like 200 repeats with a jog recovery would be good and on another day try some 300 repeats for yourself. For speed do the 200s at near full effort but have a long recovery of 4 mins plus.
    Have you timed yourself for 200s yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

There’s lots of stuff that you can do to become faster at 400m (gym, plyometric, hills, speed, speed endurance, block work) but that would be relevant for somebody who is focusing fully on sprinting.

For somebody like yourself whose main goals lie in them 5k-Marathon range and where the 400m is more of a side-goal, I would recommend putting the focus of your 400m related sessions on speed endurance. I’m sure you have a bit of natural speed in the legs so focus on trying to maintain high end speed for longer. Sessions like 3x300 close to flat out with 4 mins rest, or 4x300, 5x200, a 400-300-200. That sort of thing. Lots of different combinations you can come up with to keep things fresh and interesting. Hills are good for building up strength but I wouldn’t jump into it like you have done. For somebody who hasn’t done hill sprints before it could be a bit of an injury risk. I’d ease into them and do maybe 3x150 to start with. Could be done at the end of one of your easier days long run.

Best thing to do to start is to just get to a track and time yourself doing a 400m flat out. It will give you a reference point as to where you are, and how much you need to improve by. It will also let you see the progress you make as you go along which is always good for the confidence.:)

Run the first 60-70m hard, then settle until 200m (though don’t drop the pace much, just keep relaxed and within yourself) then when you get to 200m to go just go balls out!

RandyMann wrote: »
    Have you timed yourself for 200s yet?
    No. The other thing I didn't mention is that I don't have easy access to a track. My running club has an evening on the track every week, but my working hours prohibit me from making the sessions. There is a cinder track a couple of miles from home that is always available (not sure how good the markings are) but I reckon it'll do for my rough 'n' ready purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

No. The other thing I didn't mention is that I don't have easy access to a track. My running club has an evening on the track every week, but my working hours prohibit me from making the sessions. There is a cinder track a couple of miles from home that is always available (not sure how good the markings are) but I reckon it'll do for my rough 'n' ready purposes.

The markings are grand on the track, well for 400's they are, Think there is a painted white line on the kerb at the 200m also. So shouldnt be a problem.

• Advertisement

shels4ever wrote: »
    The markings are grand on the track, well for 400's they are, Think there is a painted white line on the kerb at the 200m also. So shouldnt be a problem.
    Do you know the track in Kilbogget Park or are you talking about a different track?

Do you know the track in Kilbogget Park or are you talking about a different track?

oops , I was talking about the one down the road from your work, in Lucan.

Right, so where's that one?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Transition practice: I would have thought that Shanganagh was ideal for going through your transition routine, 1 lap on 1 lap of?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Transition practice: I would have thought that Shanganagh was ideal for going through your transition routine, 1 lap on 1 lap of?
    Wait, are we talking about duathlons or 400m?!

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

I use kilbogget for the odd lunchtime session - there's no painted markings, but it's fine for 400's -I just mark a spot in the gravel :)

if this is the track near superquinn, I'm not sure it's 400m?? (although I haven't been there in a few years)

Well, tried to go for a run today, and figured the physio session I had on Tuesday evening had worked miracles, but had to pull up after half a mile and walk back when at first I felt a niggle and then the niggle became a little more urgent.

Chances of a big face/off with Keith in Donadea on Saturday: 34.6%.

jaymack75 wrote: »

if this is the track near superquinn, I'm not sure it's 400m?? (although I haven't been there in a few years)
    Yep its 400m , did a good few session on it last year and if its not i'd be very worried with my splits :).

Well, tried to go for a run today, and figured the physio session I had on Tuesday evening had worked miracles, but had to pull up after half a mile and walk back when at first I felt a niggle and then the niggle became a little more urgent.

Sorry to hear that :( . Injury sucks...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

jaymack75 wrote: »

I ran around this a few times here, it's 400m alright....ish:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

But, but, but.....can you at least still write a race report???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

But, but, but.....can you at least still write a race report???

...or just chill and use it as an excuse to drink beer and watch the football - sans guilt :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Emer911 wrote: »
    ...or just chill and use it as an excuse to drink beer and watch the football - sans guilt :D

Send him down to the pool with an old pair of shorts rolled up in a sandy beach towel, Emer. He want's to do it, he just needs a friendly push.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Send him down to the pool with an old pair of shorts rolled up in a sandy beach towel, Emer. He want's to do it, he just needs a friendly push.
    Well, if this problem persists, it'll definitely be off to the pool I go. Legs feel better than they have in years, it's just when I try to run that the problem raises its head. But on a positive note, I'm getting the rest week that I should have taken after Kildare marathon. Long cycle tomorrow, me thinks, to keep them beer calories at bay. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

Us athletes have a repsonsibility to drink sensibly so i've come up with my own game plan on the front........

I'm gonna drink like a fish until ireland score, then stop.

Whats your plan krusty.?

I'm gonna drink like a fish until ireland score, then stop.
    Hmm.. You might have to keep drinking until the game against Kazakhstan in September. Mine is a more measured approach (1 measure of whiskey and a beer chaser every 30 minutes).

Yesterday: 2.5 mile run
    Easy run just to make sure that I hadn't had a miraculous recovery that would allow me to participate in Donadea. Confirmed. I hadn't had a miraculous recovery, but made it to 2.5 miles before the familiar pull at the back of the knee, so certainly on the mend.

For DoryDory - Keith123's Donadea race report:
    Did 1hr 28(on garmin) or 1hr 29(on time board) - very happy! Aim was to break 1:30 - think I did cycle in 39 or not much after. Very windy first half of cycle. Official times are online tonight I'll see where I finished - maybe top 30.

So we would have been a lot closer than he initially predicted (I would've been aiming for around 1hr 25.

Today: 50k cycle
    Bit of a bruiser, for an occasional cyclist like myself. Headed to Enniskerry then up to Glencree, on an uphill climb that lasted for 15 miles, before 5 miles of free-wheeling back to earth and a nother 10 miles of flat to complete the circuit.

Summary: 31.31 miles in 2:09, @23.4 km/hr, HR=130

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭ChickenBalls

Yesterday: 2.5 mile run
    Easy run just to make sure that I hadn't had a miraculous recovery that would allow me to participate in Donadea. Confirmed. I hadn't had a miraculous recovery, but made it to 2.5 miles before the familiar pull at the back of the knee, so certainly on the mend.

For DoryDory - Keith123's Donadea race report:

So we would have been a lot closer than he initially predicted (I would've been aiming for around 1hr 25.

Today: 50k cycle
    Bit of a bruiser, for an occasional cyclist like myself. Headed to Enniskerry then up to Glencree, on an uphill climb that lasted for 15 miles, before 5 miles of free-wheeling back to earth and a nother 10 miles of flat to complete the circuit.

Summary: 31.31 miles in 2:09, @23.4 km/hr, HR=130

Posting a very personal message on your very public blog! Talk to my lawyers!

:D

keith123 wrote: »
    Posting a very personal message on your very public blog! Talk to my lawyers!
    :D
    Ah yes, Facebook. That most discrete and private means of communication. ;)

Today: 10k Easy easy run
    Made another batch of beer (Imperial IPA this time), threw the Sunday roast into the oven, and celebrated my productivity with a nice easy 10k run in the park with the spikes on to assist with my continued path to full recovery. No twitches from the calf until the 5 mile mark, so much improved. Should be back to normal by Wednesday. Arrived back just as the alarm on the oven started beeping, and the starting whistle was blown in the Spain/Italy game. Perfect pacing.

Summary: 10k in 47:35, @7:39/mile, HR=132

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

Are you planning on pacing the series half G?

Advertisement