Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭RandyMann

One more link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmErE5ogKJE&feature=fvwrel They should help you.
    This shows the full range of drills I do and I pick this guy cause I find him entertaining too :) This is part 2 but you can find the other parts of his series if you are interested. Now you have plenty to do !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Haven't been too eager to update as I'm still struggling with a niggle. Calf feels fine, hamstring feels fine, but still feeling that tug at the back of the knee. Another trip to the physio required.

Thursday: rest day

Friday: 10k with lots of strides.
    Headed to the park and threw on the spikes. Two mile warm-up, then hit a square field, alternating between a stride and a recovery on each side of the square, so around 15 strides of around 150m at approximately mile pace.
    Summary: 10k in 41:41, @6:37/mile, HR=~155

Saturday: 10k recovery run
    Easy recovery loop around Shankill minding the tightness in the leg.
    Summary: 10k in 47:02, @7:33/mile, HR=~130

Sunday: 15.5 mile medium long run
    Wonderful life-embracing run along the coastal path to Greystones, before climbing up to Windgates and then up to Bray Head for a run back along the top of the cliffs, with the mountains in Wales and the Mournes in Northern Ireland visible in the far distance. A tough but invigorating run, that reclaims the weekend from the football and the booze.
    Summary: 15.5 miles in 1:57, @7:33/mile, HR=~138

...and another recovery 10k run around Corkagh Park, in 49:25, @7:56/mile, HR=~126. Got hit by about 20 drops of rain, but they were as big as sliothars, so I was soaked by the time I got back to the office. Could'a sworn them was some ice in some of those rain-drops too, but it's nearly summer solstice, so that can't be right. Can it?!

Today: 10k with 3 x 1 Mile @5k pace
    Had hoped to head out to Greystones for a mile race on the track to get a little more track experience, but a last minute soul-destroying conference call put paid to that. Instead I arrived home totally drained and fell asleep on my bed for 10 minutes. Put on the running gear, but felt dead on my feet. Toyed with the idea of taking a day off and vegging on the coach in front of the England match but 'there be dragons' so I threw on the fast gear and prepared for hell. Original plan was to do some kind of session, e.g. Macmillan's 6 x 1 mile at 10k pace, but the first rep was too fast (5:24), so I shortened the recovery from 4 minutes to 3 minutes and did two more (5:25 and 5:24) to call it a 5k session (well, it beats the couch!). Not in as bad shape as I thought I was, but need to get into a more regular program.

Summary: 10k in 45 mins, @7:20/mile, HR=148

Yesterday Lunch: 7 miles easy
    Easy 7 miles out to the Lucan Harriers cinder track for a goosey. Definitely flatter than the track out in Kilbogget (no hills on the track!) but still not something you could wear spikes on. Did one loop of the track (a rather leisurely 1:39) then headed back to work in the glorious sunshine.
    Summary: 7 miles in 52 mins, @7:16/mile

Yesterday evening: 6 mile recovery run
    Just notching up the mileage and triggering some recovery. Easy 6 miles around the knacker-drinkers in the park.
    Summary: 6 miles in 47 mins, @7:50/mile, HR=~123

Yesterday late evening: 15 x 15 core strength and 15 x 2 x 4 weights

Yesterday night: Pints!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Easy 7 miles out to the Lucan Harriers cinder track for a goosey. Definitely flatter than the track out in Kilbogget (no hills on the track!) but still not something you could wear spikes on.

ahh my old stomping ground, wind always seemed to be at my back in the back straight. If you find any of the parts of my lungs I coughed up lying around there please do let me know.

ahh my old stomping ground, wind always seemed to be at my back in the back straight. If you find any of the parts of my lungs I coughed up lying around there please do let me know.
    I was beginning to think that all tracks had 'hills'. Can anyone just hop onto the track and have a go? Pity it's three miles away. It's a grand warm-up, but three miles after a track session is a bit much. Didn't see any 'lung-bits' but there was some dog-poop. Was that yours? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

I was beginning to think that all tracks had 'hills'. Can anyone just hop onto the track and have a go? Pity it's three miles away. It's a grand warm-up, but three miles after a track session is a bit much. Didn't see any 'lung-bits' but there was some dog-poop. Was that yours? :)

I'm not a dog. No. :D

Came close to needing the bushes myself on several occassions down there though. Something about mile repeats that doesnt agree with me. Following the 400 training with interest - good luck with the sub 60!

Yeah you can just turn up, great in the summer when there is light. Not a good idea when its raining heavy though, lane 1 collects water......

Splish, splosh, sploosh. Slurp, Splush.
    Summary: 10k easy with strides in a very wet and muddy field, in 44 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Splish, splosh, sploosh. Slurp, Splush.

You know, I read that and my heart actually skipped a beat. Thought you had joined us cool kids in the water:D

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You know, I read that and my heart actually skipped a beat. Thought you had joined us cool kids in the water:D
    Does five inches of water count? I'd love to be able to swim with the fishes..

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Spotted a trailer for this on apple tv:

MV5BMjA5OTI1Njg0Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzI5Nzc4Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Care to comment?

macinalli wrote: »
    Care to comment?
    How could that be me? The guy is clearly wearing men's clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Hmmm, I thought the singlet and the sleek garmin watch were a bit of a giveaway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

I take it you are not coming back to defend your king of the warriors title in Boyle this weekend? Giving it a miss myself this year too.

dna_leri wrote: »
    I take it you are not coming back to defend your king of the warriors title in Boyle this weekend? Giving it a miss myself this year too.
    I'm not sure they'd welcome another Dublin raid... Stealing their women and their prizes. ;) Without the two of us in attendance, it'll be wide open for Ming Flanagan to take the win. :)

Today: 4.5 mile recovery run
    Short recovery run, as I'm heading to Dunshaughlin tomorrow. Not in the shape for an assault on the PB, so just going out for a good workout, and because it's such a high caliber race. Hopefully get into the low 36:xx anyway, if the wind is kind, but on today's run it was pretty horrific. The Watch was going a bit nuts again, and had me leaping entire fields in a single bound and running uphill for my entire loop. Stoopid tetchy-nology.
    Summary: 4.5 miles in 35:18, @7:55/mile, HR=~126

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Today: 4.5 mile recovery run
    Short recovery run, as I'm heading to Dunshaughlin tomorrow. Not in the shape for an assault on the PB, so just going out for a good workout, and because it's such a high caliber race. Hopefully get into the low 36:xx anyway, if the wind is kind, but on today's run it was pretty horrific. The Watch was going a bit nuts again, and had me leaping entire fields in a single bound and running uphill for my entire loop. Stoopid tetchy-nology.
    Summary: 4.5 miles in 35:18, @7:55/mile, HR=~126

2.5 is available, going to update tonight.
    Edit: mainly swim related changes and a few others
    Changes made from version 2.40 to 2.50:
    Fixed several problems causing shutdowns during biking and running activities.
    Corrected several instantaneous pace calculation issues.
    Major modifications and additions to Bike Power functionality:
    1. Improved support for power based workouts.
    2. Added new power metrics (Training Stress Score (TSS), Intensity Factor (IF), Normalized Power (NP), kJ).
    3. Automatically modify power zones when functional threshold power (FTP) changes.
    4. Improvements to power sensor calibration process.
    5. Added support for left right power balance.
    6. Added support for 3, 10, and 30s power smoothing.
    Improved accuracy of distance calculations for pool swim.
    Rest times are no longer included in the average pace calculation for pool swim.
    Distance alerts for pool swim will now occur during the last length before completing the configured distance.
    Swim distance alert will now reset after pressing lap button.
    Corrected issues displaying history for open water swims.
    Improved calorie calculations during swim mode.
    Corrected issue with barometer calibration improving initial elevation readings.
    Corrected issue where sudden changes in the elevation could be observed on the watch.
    Fixed problem with auto-scroll that could potentially cause a device malfunction.
    Added ability for the user to enter ANT+ IDs for all sensor types.
    Added sensor details page for all ANT+ sensors.
    Prevented HR alerts from occurring when user was in the correct zone.
    Improved accuracy of battery charge information.
    Improved foreign language translations.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    2.5 is available, going to update tonight.
    Edit: mainly swim related changes and a few others
    Thanks. Installed it this morning. They've introduced a strange bug, whereby if you're analyzing your activity on the watch, it shows your Lap pace as 00:24/mile. Doesn't bother me, as I use 1 mile splits, so the time-taken for the lap is the same as my lap pace, but if you don't use per/mile or per/km splits it could be frustrating.

Saturday morning: 2 Miles easy, just to make sure that the legs were ok for a 10k blast later that evening. Still a lot of tightness at the back of the knee (wakes me up a few times a night), but running is fine, so all systems go. Summary: 2.1 miles in 15:56, @7:34/mile

• Advertisement

I've run 13 races so far this year, so no shortage of them, but haven't raced since Kildare marathon (6 weeks ago). There has been a bit of running malaise since then, and I know it's better not to force the issue after a high mileage marathon plan, so I have been happy enough to take it easy, with just a few moderately unsuccessful sprint sessions under my belt since then. But I have built the mileage back up to 50+ miles and hit 60+ miles for this week. The plan for Dunshaughlin was just to enjoy the race and hopefully hit a mark around 36:00, as I've lost a bit of fitness and added a few pounds since I ran 35:31 6 weeks ago (a race wedged between Boston and Kildare marathons). I ran 3 x 1 Mile at around 5:26 pace with 3 minutes rest last Tuesday, which gave me some level of optimism that I was still in pretty good shape. Arrived out in Dunshaughlin in plenty time to chat to the fellow Boards runners, and get a mile warm-up before the race. I got the forecast wrong (thought it would be lashing rain), so opted for the grippier Mizuno Precisions instead of the racing flats, which wasn't a great decision and the heavier shoe might have cost me some seconds. I lined up a couple of rows from the start, but by the time the starting horn went off, I was probably 75 runners from the front.

Mile 1: Started strong, weaving through the slower runners until I found a bit of space, and looked at the watch after about haf a mile, and my average pace was 5:20 (faster than 5k pace). I had stretched to the front of the current group, and was running behind a lead runner, but the gap to the group in front was widening. Running at 5k pace for the first mile wasn't a good idea, but I knew that I had to push-on and catch faster groups, or I would end up with an unsatisfactory time, so I made the decision, and pushed forward at the same pace moving from group to group until I found a group of 5/6 runners that looked strong and seemed to be holding a solid pace. Mile 1: 5:26

Mile 2: Focussed on recovering from the effort of mile 1 and just settling into a rythm within the group. Everyone there seemed to be of a consistent level, nobody breathing particularly heavy, just working hard. 5:36.

Mile 3: One runner dropped off the pace, and there were 5 of us. We were all fanned out in a line, so no-one taking wind shelter. This mile had a bit of an incline, so was slightly slower at 5:50, but shortly afterwards we passed the half-way mark with the clock showing 17:40 (my watch read 17:43).

Mile 4: A welcome downhill provided some level of recovery (I'd forgotten my HRM unfortunately) and my lower back/glutes had been killing me from the start of the race, so I took the opportunity to stretch out a little. Soon afterwards we were getting tired and it showed as we had a few jostles as we rounded the bends and I was feeling a bit wrecked. I looked up and saw the 7k marker and was pretty crestfallen. I thought my race was fooked at that stage, and went into a dismal spiral. But, I managed to reel it back in again. I convinced myself that it was only temporary and that it would pass, and thankfully, eventually it did and I mustered myself back into a better place. Mile 4: 5:43

Mile 5: The 5 mile marker comes at the top of a brief but painful climb, but we all hit the hill together and worked our way over it without slowing substantially and spent the next half mile recovering, with lots of heavy breathing. Mile 5: 5:43.

Mile 6: Seeing the 5 mile marker and knowing that we had ony just over a mile cemented my resolve. I had lost a bit of ground to the group, but on the long stretch that felt slightly downhill I lengthened the stride and caught the group again and by the time we hit the 800m mark we had caught one runner who had moved ahead. I found myself moving in front, more in anticipation of hitting the finish than in an attempt to split from the group, but with 400m to go I was dying a death. We were all gliding at this stage, but the three othere runners from the group were gliding faster than me and with 400m to go, had moved ahead. Mile 6: 5:36.

The Finish: The other runners in the group were sprinting to the finish, but I had no sprint left in me, so I cruised to the finish line @5:14 pace, a little dissapointed not to have a final bit of fight left in me to try and outkick the other runners, but glad that I had done the work early in the race to catch the group and reap the rewards of a significantly faster time than I could have hoped for before the race. I crossed the finish line with 35:23 showing on the clock and stopped my watch at 35:28. So a small PB (somewhere between 7 seconds and 3 seconds!) but delighted to run another fast 10k when I didn't feel I was in the kind of shape to do so. Delighted to have my race-mojo back, I'm now looking forward to the next race and will be aiming for a 34:xx 10k sometime soon.

A couple of easy warm-down miles with the other Sli Cualann lads (if we could only spell the name of the club consistently, we would have been the fourth fastest club!) and then into the club-house for some coffee and hang sandweggies and a nice chat with the other Boards runners. Alongside Ballycotton, this is my favourite road race in the country and if you haven't run it yet, you have already been missing out. Get to it!

Summary: 10k in 35:23 (35:28 on my watch), @5:40/mile

Sunday: 12.5 mile medium long run
    After some sage advice from Abhainn, I headed out early with the plan just to bring the mileage up to 60 miles for the week, which meant a 12.5 mile run. Headed out along the Riviera with wonderful sunshine interspersed with cloudy breaks. Killiney Hill was tough on my tired Dunshaughlin legs, but there were cyclists heading up the hill and I couldn't let them beat me (score 1 for the runner). Turned back just after the 40-foot, where I looked longingly at the cool sea waters (pity it's less than idea to break up a run with a nice cool paddle), and back up over Killiney Hill, this time with the additional climb up to the village past the cyclists (score 2-0 for the runner) and home. Happy to have a good week of training under the belt.
    Summary: 12.6 miles in 1:33, @7:23/mile

After a nice boozy lunch, finished up the afternoon with:
    P&D Advanced core exercises
    15 x 4 x 2 weights
    5 Minute plank

Before. After. D'oh! No killer instinct!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

I've run 13 races so far this year, so no shortage of them, but haven't raced since Kildare marathon (6 weeks ago). There has been a bit of running malaise since then, and I know it's better not to force the issue after a high mileage marathon plan, so I have been happy enough to take it easy, with just a few moderately unsuccessful sprint sessions under my belt since then. But I have built the mileage back up to 50+ miles and hit 60+ miles for this week. The plan for Dunshaughlin was just to enjoy the race and hopefully hit a mark around 36:00, as I've lost a bit of fitness and added a few pounds since I ran 35:31 6 weeks ago (a race wedged between Boston and Kildare marathons). I ran 3 x 1 Mile at around 5:26 pace with 3 minutes rest last Tuesday, which gave me some level of optimism that I was still in pretty good shape. Arrived out in Dunshaughlin in plenty time to chat to the fellow Boards runners, and get a mile warm-up before the race. I got the forecast wrong (thought it would be lashing rain), so opted for the grippier Mizuno Precisions instead of the racing flats, which wasn't a great decision and the heavier shoe might have cost me some seconds. I lined up a couple of rows from the start, but by the time the starting horn went off, I was probably 75 runners from the front.

Mile 1: Started strong, weaving through the slower runners until I found a bit of space, and looked at the watch after about haf a mile, and my average pace was 5:20 (faster than 5k pace). I had stretched to the front of the current group, and was running behind a lead runner, but the gap to the group in front was widening. Running at 5k pace for the first mile wasn't a good idea, but I knew that I had to push-on and catch faster groups, or I would end up with an unsatisfactory time, so I made the decision, and pushed forward at the same pace moving from group to group until I found a group of 5/6 runners that looked strong and seemed to be holding a solid pace. Mile 1: 5:26

Mile 2: Focussed on recovering from the effort of mile 1 and just settling into a rythm within the group. Everyone there seemed to be of a consistent level, nobody breathing particularly heavy, just working hard. 5:36.

Mile 3: One runner dropped off the pace, and there were 5 of us. We were all fanned out in a line, so no-one taking wind shelter. This mile had a bit of an incline, so was slightly slower at 5:50, but shortly afterwards we passed the half-way mark with the clock showing 17:40 (my watch read 17:43).

Mile 4: A welcome downhill provided some level of recovery (I'd forgotten my HRM unfortunately) and my lower back/glutes had been killing me from the start of the race, so I took the opportunity to stretch out a little. Soon afterwards we were getting tired and it showed as we had a few jostles as we rounded the bends and I was feeling a bit wrecked. I looked up and saw the 7k marker and was pretty crestfallen. I thought my race was fooked at that stage, and went into a dismal spiral. But, I managed to reel it back in again. I convinced myself that it was only temporary and that it would pass, and thankfully, eventually it did and I mustered myself back into a better place. Mile 4: 5:43

Mile 5: The 5 mile marker comes at the top of a brief but painful climb, but we all hit the hill together and worked our way over it without slowing substantially and spent the next half mile recovering, with lots of heavy breathing. Mile 5: 5:43.

Mile 6: Seeing the 5 mile marker and knowing that we had ony just over a mile cemented my resolve. I had lost a bit of ground to the group, but on the long stretch that felt slightly downhill I lengthened the stride and caught the group again and by the time we hit the 800m mark we had caught one runner who had moved ahead. I found myself moving in front, more in anticipation of hitting the finish than in an attempt to split from the group, but with 400m to go I was dying a death. We were all gliding at this stage, but the three othere runners from the group were gliding faster than me and with 400m to go, had moved ahead. Mile 6: 5:36.

The Finish: The other runners in the group were sprinting to the finish, but I had no sprint left in me, so I cruised to the finish line @5:14 pace, a little dissapointed not to have a final bit of fight left in me to try and outkick the other runners, but glad that I had done the work early in the race to catch the group and reap the rewards of a significantly faster time than I could have hoped for before the race. I crossed the finish line with 35:23 showing on the clock and stopped my watch at 35:28. So a small PB (somewhere between 7 seconds and 3 seconds!) but delighted to run another fast 10k when I didn't feel I was in the kind of shape to do so. Delighted to have my race-mojo back, I'm now looking forward to the next race and will be aiming for a 34:xx 10k sometime soon.

A couple of easy warm-down miles with the other Sli Cualann lads (if we could only spell the name of the club consistently, we would have been the fourth fastest club!) and then into the club-house for some coffee and hang sandweggies and a nice chat with the other Boards runners. Alongside Ballycotton, this is my favourite road race in the country and if you haven't run it yet, you have already been missing out. Get to it!

Hey Krusty, I was one of the 3 runners in the group you decided to run up to. Quite accurate description of the race there. Especially mile 6 where we reeled in my club mate who decided to go for home on the hill at 7.5K. I have a good picture of the group at 7.5K. Not sure how to put it on this though.

NiallG4 wrote: »
    Hey Krusty, I was one of the 3 runners in the group you decided to run up to. Quite accurate description of the race there. Especially mile 6 where we reeled in my club mate who decided to go for home on the hill at 7.5K. I have a good picture of the group at 7.5K. Not sure how to put it on this though.
    Well done Niall. If I remember correctly, you pushed on with about 200m to go? You had a very solid finish. I think this picture was taken as we rounded the bend to the finishing line and was our actual finishing order. Funnily enough, I was chatting to the Raheny lad afterwards, and he thanked me for pacing him to 3:15 in Dublin marathon last year. Either he's a lot sharper at the shorter/faster stuff, or he's come a long way in the last 10 months. I ran 2:48 for the marathon a couple of times before I hit a 35:xx 10k.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

This has been some year for you with the pb's! Very well done. Great to see beer-fueled auld fella's cutting it with the best of them!

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    This has been some year for you with the pb's! Very well done. Great to see beer-fueled auld fella's cutting it with the best of them!
    Yeah, that's three seconds I'll never forget. ;) Just glad to be showing signs of still being in reasonable shape. Surrendering the high mileage feels a little like giving up sometimes.

Today: 6 mile recovery
    Jogged over to the park with my daughter, and while she practiced her gymnastics on the bars, I ran loops of the top field. Easy way to pass a few miles, running past her on every loop, before we jogged back home. Some day soon I'll be struggling to keep up with her pace. My son also managed an easy 10k today in 51:22, which isn't bad for someone who has never run on any surface other than a soccer pitch before. I'll have him sub-45 before the end of summer!
    Summary: 6 miles in 45:48

Afternoon: Recovery 10k
    Nice easy 10k with Keith123, shooting the breeze around Corkagh Park, but the humidity had me bathed in sweat by the time we made it back to work. Will try and get out for a few more miles this evening and get this wee'ks core work kick-started.
    Summary: 10k in 52:11, @8:22/mile, HR=122

Last night: 10k recovery run
    Another long evening in work left me feeling tired, but when the weather's warm best to go out and take advantage of a bit of warm weather training, so another easy 10k, this time out to Bray Head and back.
    Summary: 10k in 48 mins, @7:43

Later last night: 15 x core and weights
    Could feel some pain in my back but stupidly persisted in doing the core work out, and felt a wrench while doing oblique crunches. Did I stop? Like hell I did. I reasoned that for the rest of the workout and weights I'd be using different muscle groups. Now it feels like my back is in spasm. Difene + heat patch plus a few days of no core stuff will hopefully sort it out. But seriously, you'd think an old fella would have a bit more cop-on.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: 12 hour work day + back muscle spasm = rest day

Thursday: 7 Mile easy run
    Work demanded its pound of flesh, and then I had my daughter's graduation from primary school (wtf?! We just went knacker drinking at that age). But as soon as I got home, it was on with the running gear and out the door. I teased my way around a 7 mile loop carefully nursing my back and only picking up the pace as I ran through some of the more savoury areas of this side of Dublin. No need to worry though, as wookies seem to be allergic to rain, so the fine mist kept me cool, and the wookies at bay.
    Summary: 7 miles in 51:21, @7:20/mile, HR=130

Advertisement