Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

... and 4 easy miles, just to add a bit of icing to today's running cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Well done on your race KC. :)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Well done on your race KC. :)
    Thanks Dory Dory. Not sure if it was well-done (more of a medium-rare!), but good at least to give it a lash. Having run the 400 and 800m, it really has given me an appreciation for these events that I didn't have before, so much so, that I've been glued to the women's 400 heats all morning (and I'm glad to see that I wouldn't have come last (actually third-last, with a potential fight for 4th last!)).

I miss your log. :( Now it's sooo many clicks away.. :)

Thanks Dory Dory. Not sure if it was well-done (more of a medium-rare!), but good at least to give it a lash. Having run the 400 and 800m, it really has given me an appreciation for these events that I didn't have before, so much so, that I've been glued to the women's 400 heats all morning (and I'm glad to see that I wouldn't have come last (third-last, with aactually potential fight for 4th last!)).

I miss your log. :( Now it's sooo many clicks away.. :)

That's the good old fashioned way of Clown spinning it!!! ;)

And I miss this forum. There's more of a party atmosphere here with all that talk of beer and such. Oh!!! Remember the time you went on the piss for like, um, 48 hours (I think that's how you say it...if not, then here in America it might mean you were caught for public urination...but anyway..) and showed up at a race in your wife's running shorts still inebriated?? Now those were some good times!! Miss that about you crazy runners....... ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

We can always move you back :)

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »

If I get into Boston we can talk. ;) Good to know my log has wheels. :)

Or ship me over. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Or ship me over. ;)

I don't think you can afford the membership fees :)

I don't think you can afford the membership fees :)

Unless he can get a sponsor. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Unless he can get a sponsor. ;)

He's already turned down several Garmin sponsorship offers, holding out for big bucks. A move from the 305 forum to the 910xt forum just might swing it!

• Advertisement

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    He's already turned down several Garmin sponsorship offers, holding out for big bucks. A move from the 305 forum to the 910xt forum just might swing it!
    Hey, runners can own 910xt's too!

Today: 1 hour easy
    A bit of a shift away from clock and pace watching, I decided I'd shift my 910xt over to show just 'Elapsed Time' and run for an hour. No pace, no distance, no route, just an expensive stopwatch and the radio for company. It did its job, as I was more relaxed and the time flew by, with only the occasional buzz of the watch as another mile was ticked off (which I duly ignored, and refused to count). I arrived back in the office, slightly surprised that I had covered 8.5 miles, so job done and a new way to run that takes the pressure off, when loading up the miles.

Summary: 8.54 miles in 1:02, @7:16, HR=136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Hey, runners can own 910xt's too!

You're right. We need one umbrella forum for Garmin users, the G/A/R/M/I/N forum. For General/Athletics/Running/Multisport/Ironman/'Ndurance topics, do we need a poll?;)

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're right. We need one umbrella forum for Garmin users, the G/A/R/M/I/N forum. For General/Athletics/Running/Multisport/Ironman/'Ndurance topics, do we need a poll?;)

Can you work "Wild Swimming" in there somewhere?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Most alarmingly, the Sli Cualann runner finished three seconds clear of me. I am at a loss as to how I lost 3 seconds in the finishing straight. A second I could understand, but three?

Ha, I know him well, he is a 53sec 400 chap, only does 800 once in a blue moon and he totally botched that one, he went out way too slow and left his kick far too late! So dont worry at all, the only proper way to do an 800 is be so caked with lactic last 100m that you might as well be in a wheelchair ha!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ha, I know him well, he is a 53sec 400 chap, only does 800 once in a blue moon and he totally botched that one, he went out way too slow and left his kick far too late! So dont worry at all, the only proper way to do an 800 is be so caked with lactic last 100m that you might as well be in a wheelchair ha!
    Cheers for the advice beforehand, which I duly forgot about completely on race day. Sounds like the Sli Culaann lad could do with a kick up the ar7e. If he's a 53 second 400 guy, I shouldn't be getting a sniff of him during the 800m race!

Friday evening: 4 easy miles just to top up the mileage on a drizzly Friday night, @7:39/mile

Saturday: 21 mile Daniels session: 2 x 2mile tempo + 1 hour easy + 3 mile tempo
    Met up with ecoli, Tunguska and another lad from Sportsworld for this session. Had a rotten night's sleep and didn't drink enough water beforehand, so made it a little harder on myself than it should have been. A 2.6 mile warm-up, then we hit the track for the first of the tempo sections. Had immediate flashbacks to the 400m race, as the three guys disappeared into the distance as soon as we started the first lap, but sure nothing to do but plug away. Comfortable enough finishing in 11:37 @5:48/mile, which was bang on pace. 2:37 rest and it was back into it. This two mile tempo was a little harder, but I kept the pace consistent, finishing in 11:36, @5:48/mile.

A quick drink and we headed out for an hour of easy running around Tymon Park. 40 minutes into the easy run I started to feel a little wrecked, so was happy to just follow in ecoli's tracks, until we got close to the track and I cut a couple of minutes off the easy run, to grab a much-needed gel from my bag. A quick wave to Woddle before I hit the track, where the lads had started their tempo already. I jumped into it, but was feeling fairly mashed and the pace suffered a little (18:18 for the three miles, @6:06). Pretty wrecked afterwards, bur glad to have completed the tempo section. Finished off with a 2.65 mile warm-down, which despite the easy 8 minute mile pace, began to feel a little like the tempo section, as once again the lads disappeared into the distance.

Arriving home afterwards, I had lunch and drank a couple of litres of water, and was still 6 lbs lighter than when I left that morning, so I figure I need to drink more water during these sessions. I had also managed to top up my suntan, so the weather was deceptively hot. Still, another bloody good session that feels like it's having a positive impact, which I noticed in the subsequent days running.
    Summary: ~21 miles in 2:22, ~6:40/mile (numbers are approximately as the Garmin was way way-off on the track).

Sunday: 10 mile easy run
    Turned the dial back a little on this one, to focus on easy after the previous day's tough session, but it felt pretty comfortable (heart rate seems to be dropping), so it looks like the legs are getting used to the mileage and intensity. Can't visit Roscommon without having a bit of a run around Moate Park, and this one was nicely timed between Olympic sessions.
    Summary: 10 miles in 1:16, @7:34/mile, HR=~120

Monday: 10 mile easy run
    Bit of a dirty hangover after heading out with the brothers in law for a few late pints (not used to throwing back the pints in pubs any more), but had to get the run done before the Katie Taylor fight. Headed out one of the minor bothrins, and kept the pace nice and hangover easy, until I ran out of road after 5 miles. Then (hangover dissipated) I picked up the pace on the way back, keeping the HR sub 140 (around 6:40/mile).
    Summary: 10 miles in 1:11, @7:06/mile, HR=130

Monday night: 5 recovery miles
    Arriving back in Dublin, hit the grass in the local park for an easy 5 mile recovery run, with the watch in 'slow-down mode'. Legs felt good after the 40 minute run in the spikes.
    Summary: 5 miles 40 mins, 8:02/mile, HR=~118

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Nice one Krusty, good week's work there. Hopefully I will be around to bring up the rear in that session next time.

cwgatling wrote: »
    Nice one Krusty, good week's work there. Hopefully I will be around to bring up the rear in that session next time.
    You would have been either alongside me or slightly ahead (our times were near identical, but you had to do it on your own). Looking forward to the next one (if I'm invited. :)).

Today: 8 miles very easy
    Ran around Corkagh Park with Keith123 and then did an extra 2 miles on my own to bring it up to the hour. S'funny how when running with someone else, 8 min/mile can feel perfectly natural, but then left to your own devices, the pace picks up to sub 7 min/mile and it feels no different. Will try to get out for 5 miles with strides this evening.
    Summary: 8 miles in 64 mins, @7:58/mile, HR=120

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Looking forward to the next one (if I'm invited. :)).

Open invitaiton, of course you're invited. Saturday or sunday, hasnt been decided yet, will let you know. Although theres a kilomarathon on in moone at the weekend which could double up nicely as a long run at M-pace.

tunguska wrote: »
    Open invitaiton, of course you're invited. Saturday or sunday, hasnt been decided yet, will let you know. Although theres a kilomarathon on in moone at the weekend which could double up nicely as a long run at M-pace.
    I was actually toying with the idea of doing the 10k there, in which case I would do the 20 mile run on the Sunday. The only thing that bothers me is that I measured the 10k route on Mapmyrun (so I could look at the elevation) and it's coming closer to 11km!

Maybe I'll do the 20 mile run this evening, and then do the Kilomarathon instead of the 10 mile Tempo session (not feeling great today, so I reckon the tempo session is off the cards). I reckon 16 miles close to PMP would be a great return for the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Maybe I'll do the 20 mile run this evening, and then do the Kilomarathon instead of the 10 mile Tempo session (not feeling great today, so I reckon the tempo session is off the cards). I reckon 16 miles close to PMP would be a great return for the week.

Just checked, 30 bills. Im not sure the others would be willing to fork out that amount for an M-paced run. I'll have to check with them.

tunguska wrote: »
    Just checked, 30 bills. Im not sure the others would be willing to fork out that amount for an M-paced run. I'll have to check with them.
    No worries. If you change your mind, might be able to swing a lift for you, if that helps.

Tonight: Easy/steady 20 mile run

In hindsight, the conversation in my head that went 'I'm not feeling too well; I'll skip the tempo run and do a 20 mile run instead' seemed to make sense at the time, but come mile 16, where I was searching furtively for a quiet spot to go to the loo, it didn't seem like such a hot idea. That wasn't the first of my loo stops, nor was it my last, but it was certainly the most comfortable. Sitting in trap 1 in Cornelscourt shopping Centre, I felt a sense of peace that wasn't present in the bushes in Kilternan, or the road leading up to Leopardstown Racecourse and wanted to settle in for the evening. But dinner was at home, and I was worried the security guards might start locking up, so I continued my plod home, with the job done (no pun intended).

During the quieter stretches of my run, I also counted back my miles over the last seven days. 106 miles and change. Does that count as a 100 mile week, or does it have to be a boring calendar week? There must be somewhere in the world where they start the week on a Thursday?!

Summary: 20 miles in 2:26, @7:20/mile, HR=~128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Good stuff KC cracking along nicely.

Good stuff KC cracking along nicely.
    Cheers Vaughn Easy Stepchildren. What's next on the cards for you? Any ideas about having another pop at the marathon?

Today: 7 mile recovery with 8 x 150m strides
    Strides? The day after a 20 mile run? Well, it's in the book of Daniel, so who am I to question it. Four easy recovery miles with keith123 around Corkagh Park, and the tightness and tiredness in the legs shrank away. 8 x ~150m strides along the side of the football pitch, with each one getting progressively faster. Keth123 finished just behind me on each one, except the last one, where he went flying past, proving that he has some inherent leg speed over short distances (when there is a good looking woman watching!).

Summary: 7 miles in 56 mins, @8:00/mile

Today: 5 mile recovery run
    The problem with lunch-time runs is that you tend to avoid eating until after you've done your run. But when you get caught up in work, and suddenly you realize it's 5pm and you're bloody starving, you are faced with the dilemma: eat or run? Today I ran, as I may be racing in the morning, and want to have a decent rest period before the race. But heading out into glorious sunshine at 5pm, running around the park while other drink beer, barbecue and play park games, just makes life harder when you have to head back into work for a few more hours (<self-pity whimper>).
    Summary: 5 miles @ 8min/mile (that felt like 6 minute/mile).

Today: Kilomarathon Kilo-crap-athon

The plan was simple: run the first 10 miles at around 6:14/mile and cruise to the finish and try and get a sneaky prize, to compensate for the costly €30 entry fee. But mostly, it was about the training. A few familiar faces from Sli Cualann and a 0.75 mile warm-up, and we were at the start line. Pre was lined up at the front, and having come third last year, looked in shape to improve on that position this time around, however Gary O'Hanlon had turned up, so first place was all but sewn up.

The sun had come out and the start of the race was mighty hot, but I figured I'd get through the 10 miles anyway, and chill after that if I needed to. After a pretty crap race start, I jumped into around 10th place, but within half a mile, the guy I was following was suffering badly, so I pushed on with a lad from Tallaght AC. There was a group 80m ahead, but with the sun beating down, and the focus on the training rather than the racing, I stuck with the Tallaght lad. We chatted about working together, but after a mile or two, we were still running 6:05 average, so I dropped back a little, with the focus on getting a good comfortable run. He was an m50, so I wasn't too bothered. :) About mile 4, he seemed to be struggling, and I passed him, sticking to my pace that felt comfortable enough. The sun had disappeared under a veil of cloud, however it had been replaced with a strong head-wind, that we seemed to battle into for the next 8 miles.

Hitting mile 10, I was glad to have hit the training target, with all but a few of the miles where I lost some time into the strong wind, but I still felt comfortable so I stuck to the same pace. There was a runner in the distance slowly coming back to me, but I in turn was being pursued by another running. Looking back it was Pauline Curley, who I'd comfortably beat in Kildare, but she didn't seem as hampered by the wind as me and was comfortably gaining ground. At approximately mile 11, we were directed right by a marshall happily sucking away at his cigarette, and once more headed into the uncomfortable wind. Eventually we hit a T-Junction with the runner in front just 50 metres ahead, and Pauline almost alongside me. Except, there was something wrong. There were no signs. There were no road markings. There were no marshalls. I realized I had not seen a water-station for a few miles (and they were supposedly positioned every 5km).

I had little choice, but to follow the runner in front, who was in turn following the runner in front of him, and so on, but I knew we had gone wrong somewhere. It was happening again... :mad:

Eventually (after 13.5 miles in my case) we were collected into the back of a van, and I was sad to see that Pre (who deserved so much more) was also in the back of the van. After much discussion, it was decided that the van would drop us off back on route, at approximately the same distance remaining, as we had ran (Malin to Mizen anyone?!), and we would finish in the same order as our current positions when we got into the van. This was a bit of a pisser, as I was feeling strong, and had we been on the correct route, I was about to make up two positions, into 6th male finisher.

The lad I would have passed was suffering quite a bit, but I'm afflicted with way too many morals, so instead of speeding off on him I ran the last mile alongside him and slowed to let him cross the finish line first. It transpired that he was an m40 too, so letting him cross the finish line first meant I would miss out on the first m40 position, but an agreement is an agreement.

I crossed the finish line in some irrelevant time, having hit my training goal, but feeling very pissed off. I threw my number away in disgust, and went for a mile or two warm-down with Pre and some of the other equally frustrated incorrectly directed runners. But I had hit my training goal.. (I need to keep repeating that). The real pisser was when the prize-giving started and the race organizer mentioned that fact that a number (12) runners had gone wrong. He said it wasn't his fault, he wasn't sure whose fault it was, and then said that a number of runners had followed a Garda car when they shouldn't have.

I was glad to see Pre get his rightful third-place prize, but then my name was called out as the sixth place male runner. Given that I had officially crossed the finish line in 7th place, I had to go up to the stage and correct them, and walk back empty handed. Then the m40 prizes were given to two completely different runners, further down the field. So a frustrating end to an otherwise solid training session. At the end of the day, I got 15 miles done at 6:20/mile (with a short break in the back of a van!), so a solid training session (keep saying it!). The legs are feeling good, despite another 80 mile week. And..... early in the race, I crossed the 2,000 mile mark for the year. It's time for a beer.

Summary: 17.43 miles, with 15.12 miles in 1:35, @6:20/mile

Awesome training session KC!!!! :D

(and real class too - you will be rewarded. ;))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Unbelieveable cock up krusty. Hard luck. Seems you are in great shape though. Didnt something similar happen a good while back in the bogtrotters with a poorly signposted turn? You went on to a huge pb in berlin after. Maybe its a good omen :-)

More setriously i hope they at least refunded your entry fee.

Advertisement