Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Dory Dory wrote: »
    Good value.....:D

How long ago was it then that I was faster than you you ran your first and second 10ks?
    They were the summer and winter of 2006. My first and second half marathons were in 2007 and 2008 in Connemara (1:53:11 and 1:44:46 respectively). Longford marathon came a few months after the half in Connemara in 3:25 (both half's of the marathon were faster than my half marathon PB!). I started running properly around that point (and started this training log soon afterwards). You've always been faster than me. You just need to go out and run the times. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

LEGEND.COM

Just so you know I'm planning on retiring before your wrinkly auld arse beats me :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Great run to read about, you're getting towards some scary times now. Well done, and Hail Satan!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Solobally8

My first ever 10k was the Great Ireland run, in around 51:45. My second ever 10k was the Port Tunnel run, in around 52:30! Used to get good value for money from a 10k in them days. :)

Gives us all hope :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Your race reports and your results just keep getting better and better. Massive congratulations, fantastic PB all down to your hard work.

I've been trying out some new religions myself recently, I'll have to give Krishna and the gang a try:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great going Krusty, you really have pulled away from the pack these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great run some high profile club runners behind you. Any XC plans after DCM?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great run some high profile club runners behind you. Any XC plans after DCM?
    Cheers Dom. Have absolutely no plans after DCM, but will definitely include some Wicklow XC. My only real goal is to maintain fitness and mileage so that I'm ready for an assault on London Marathon in April.

Today: 22 mile easy run
    After yesterday's 10k, I needed an easy long run, so when I read that theboyblunder and Menoscemo were getting together for a run at 7:30/mile, I jumped at the chance (even if it meant little celebratory PB beer :)), with an early 9:30am start. Met up with the lads and had a very enjoyable run, just shooting the breeze for the entire duration of the run, with the miles flying by. Picked up the pace for the last mile (you were right Meno, slightly quicker than 7 minute/mile!). A solid 91 mile week and a 10k pb. Gotta be happy with that.
    Summary: 22.32 miles in 2:44:27, @7:23/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Picked up the pace for the last mile (you were right Meno, slightly quicker than 7 minute/mile!).

Sure was, I figured it was under 6 minutes not 'just under 7' ;). Thanks for the company today.

Very solid weeks training (and racing). I still think you'll go sub 2:40 in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Savage; well done! You are a machine. And you make it sound so easy - for next week's race reoprt, some blood and guts would be a nice grounding change!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

theboyblunder and Menoscemo were getting together for a run at 7:30/mile,

Saw you guys going by the Spawell, around 11?

claralara wrote: »
    Savage; well done! You are a machine. And you make it sound so easy - for next week's race reoprt, some blood and guts would be a nice grounding change!
    Given that next week I'll be pacing the half marathon, blood and guts might not be the most welcome outcome. :)
    RayCun wrote: »
    Saw you guys going by the Spawell, around 11?
    Indeeding you might have. We saw an old chubby guy with grey hair across the road from us, who meno thought might have been you. I assured him that Ray was far younger, far less chubby, and wouldn't be running nearly as fast. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

KC ur on fire !! great results in recent weeks... ur an inspiration for us cough " mature folk ;) "... u must have huge confidence coming up to DCM...

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

liamo123 wrote: »
    KC ur on fire !! great results in recent weeks... ur an inspiration for us cough " mature folk ;) "... u must have huge confidence coming up to DCM...

Some powerful running,dedication and hard work paying off..great reporting too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

two great runs recently krusty. nice platform (god i sound like a politician) to head into autumn/winter marathon training. well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Well done on the sub 35min 10k. Just keep going man, put the blinkers on and ignore the "old man" nonsense.

tunguska wrote: »
    Well done on the sub 35min 10k. Just keep going man, put the blinkers on and ignore the "old man" nonsense.
    Cheers Tunguska. The blinkers are on, and age is but a number. Still would've taken the old man prize if they offered it me though. :)

Today: 8 mile + 5.5 mile recovery runs
    Much as I anticipated, the body was stiff and tired after the weekend's activities. It didn't help that I enjoyed a couple of pints last night (ironically celebrating the fact that I have given up the juice and switched over to a monastic lifestyle until after the marathon), but the rain and damp of Corkagh Park suited the mood, and the splash around the park wasn't unwelcome.

This evening: short easy recovery run around the other park, with the spikes. More soggy wet feet,but the body was definitely feeling a little bit looser than this afternoon's run. Picked up a pair of Saucony Kinvaras on Saturday, and hoping they'll be a good fit for a marathon shoe, so looking forward to give them a whirl (but rather pointlessly, didn't want to get them wet this evening :rolleyes:).

Summary: 8.17 miles + 5.44 miles easy recovery

Today: 10 mile easy run
    Initial outing for the Saucony Kinvaras and I found them very light, comfortable and responsive. Not the same level of cushioning as my trusty old Mizuno Precisions, but more cushioned than the Musha racing fat, so a good candidate for the marathon. A few more easy runs, before I take them out for a marathon pace run, just to get used to the lower heel-toe drop (all of my other road shoes being 10-12mm ordinary training shoes). Nice little run, tipping along at 7:10/mile. This week, I actually have to cut back my mileage in accordance with the plan, so I'll have to find ways to run less this week, which is a strange twist to the normal routine.

I also have to figure out how I'm going to work a session into the plan this weekend, with the 90 minute pacing at the Dublin half. The plan calls for a 15 mile PMP, but that could be a struggle to fit in. If I feel reasonably fresh after the half marathon, I'll either run 7 miles @marathon pace immediately afterwards, or try and do the 15 mile PMP the following day <grunt>.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:12, @7:12/mile

I also have to figure out how I'm going to work a session into the plan this weekend, with the 90 minute pacing at the Dublin half. The plan calls for a 15 mile PMP, but that could be a struggle to fit in. If I feel reasonably fresh after the half marathon, I'll either run 7 miles @marathon pace immediately afterwards, or try and do the 15 mile PMP the following day <grunt>.

Marathon Pace= 6 min miles
    "Pacer" pace= 6:50 min miles
    So just run first mile at 6 min/mile, keep going for another 25 seconds, turn back and run to the pace group "Everyone OK? Keep it up lads!".
    Repeat for all 13 miles.
    The extra you'll have run will make up your 17 miles, you'll have hit every mile split with the pace group at 6:50 mark... everybody's happy.
    And that, ladies and gentleman, is lateral thinking.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    So just run first mile at 6 min/mile, keep going for another 25 seconds, turn back and run to the pace group "Everyone OK? Keep it up lads!".
    Repeat for all 13 miles.
    The extra you'll have run will make up your 17 miles, you'll have hit every mile split with the pace group at 6:50 mark... everybody's happy.
    You've seen the flag/backpack, right? :)

• Advertisement

Resistance training. Win/win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Initial outing for the Saucony Kinvaras and I found them very light, comfortable and responsive. Not the same level of cushioning as my trusty old Mizuno Precisions, but more cushioned than the Musha racing fat, so a good candidate for the marathon. A few more easy runs, before I take them out for a marathon pace run, just to get used to the lower heel-toe drop (all of my other road shoes being 10-12mm ordinary training shoes). Nice little run, tipping along at 7:10/mile. This week, I actually have to cut back my mileage in accordance with the plan, so I'll have to find ways to run less this week, which is a strange twist to the normal routine.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:12, @7:12/mile

maybe do a recovery on sunday and do the PMP monday evening? The PMP session is so important that i reckon you need an easy day beforehand, then you could just push out the midweek session to thursday. Its worth risking a midweek session to ensure that the PMP run gets done on fresh legs?

Amazingly, you are now fast enough that this could be done on a (admittedly very) long lunch either: 2 x 7:20/mile + 15 x 6:11/mile + 2 x 7:20/mile = approx 2 hr 01 mins

good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Repeat for all 13 miles.
    Not to mention all those who will go with you and end up on their knees at mile 1

maybe do a recovery on sunday and do the PMP monday evening? The PMP session is so important that i reckon you need an easy day beforehand, then you could just push out the midweek session to thursday. Its worth risking a midweek session to ensure that the PMP run gets done on fresh legs?

Amazingly, you are now fast enough that this could be done on a (admittedly very) long lunch either: 2 x 7:20/mile + 15 x 6:11/mile + 2 x 7:20/mile = approx 2 hr 01 mins

good luck!
    Yep, I agree. It's a critical one. I've never done a 15 mile pmp run either (can it be much harder than 13 miles @HPM?). I'm just wondering how much the pacing will take out of me (seeing as it's technically not that far off easy pace any more). Last year I just ran another 7 miles afterwards, to make it 20 miles @6:52 pace, which isn't a bad option (and swap the 15 miles @pmp to some other time (though I see there's another one three weeks out).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

good luck!
    Yep, I agree. It's a critical one. I've never done a 15 mile pmp run either (can it be much harder than 13 miles @HPM?). I'm just wondering how much the pacing will take out of me (seeing as it's technically not that far off easy pace any more). Last year I just ran another 7 miles afterwards, to make it 20 miles @6:52 pace, which isn't a bad option (and swap the 15 miles @pmp to some other time (though I see there's another one three weeks out).

Yeah it is pretty close to your easy pace (jealous). Id agree youd be able to do rhe session the next day, youll miss out on feedback though because pmp will feel a little harder with 13 at sub 7 in the legs than it would with 5 or 6 easy in the legs. Maybe no biggie i suppose as you have really upped the mileage this year so the legs are tougher than before.

I suppose theres room to experiment because youve got another shot in a few weeks which you could rest up for the day before. I didnt find the 15 as hard as some previous p&d sessions id tried because pmp starts after 2 miles w\up instead of 4 or 6.

Not to mention all those who will go with you and end up on their knees at mile 1
    Sure can't they take a break for 52 seconds every mile, while the rest catch-up? Sounds like a great strategy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

tunguska wrote: »

Not a problem. He's so old he has forgotten what age he is :)

Don't fret age is catching up with me KC. Had a work medical yesterday and the doctor commented on how fit I was........ Was delighted with myself until she continued with "not bad for your age". Bitch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

34:xx, unreal! Well done Krusty. Keep it rolling, you'll have a great day at DCM.

TRR wrote: »
    Not a problem. He's so old he has forgotten what age he is :)
    Don't be ridiculous. I keep it written down on my hand, along with my name, address and phone number.
    TRR wrote:
    Had a work medical yesterday and the doctor commented on how fit I was........
    Good stuff. Sure you'll have no problem hitting a PB in DCM. Remember, if you start getting slower, and I keep getting faster, our paths will cross eventually. :P
    cwgatling wrote:
    34:xx, unreal! Well done Krusty. Keep it rolling, you'll have a great day at DCM.
    Cheers Paddy. Since the result in Athenry, I've been taking Dublin marathon a lot more seriously than I was up to two weeks ago! It's funny how a good or a bad result can spur one onwards! I hope you're on the mend from your illness. Any chance you'll get a decent shot at the half marathon this weekend?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

Initial outing for the Saucony Kinvaras and I found them very light, comfortable and responsive. Not the same level of cushioning as my trusty old Mizuno Precisions, but more cushioned than the Musha racing fat, so a good candidate for the marathon. A few more easy runs, before I take them out for a marathon pace run, just to get used to the lower heel-toe drop (all of my other road shoes being 10-12mm ordinary training shoes).

I switched to the Kinvara 2's back in Feb and found them so good that I used them for all my runs. Soon afterwards I developed an achilles problem in both legs which may or may not be attributable to the new shoes but I can't help wonder if the lower heel put extra strain on the calves/achilles. It didn't stop me from buying another pair as I think they feel great and I currently have 580 miles on the first pair which I still use for short runs. 18 miles is the farthest I've gone and I'll be running my first DCM in them but if I had my time over I'd have transitioned into them much slower.

Advertisement