Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Gringo's back! :)

A heavier more tubby version anyway - and just in time for silly season too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Rolex_ wrote: »
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/224361435
    Spikes in the last 2 miles just due to 100m strides x 8 at end of each lap. The 5 miles before that were a 7.30 easy pace which would normally not get the HR above 144-145. Similar pattten noted last 10 days or so. 2 weeks to marathon, not sick or injured. Tapering uneventfully. No spikes and troughs really though? (other than those caused by jacking up the pace).
    Strange...
    Hi Rolex_, that looks very regular and given the accurate tracking of your strides, would seem to be valid data. Was it hot? Were you wearing excessive clothing? Do you monitor your resting heart rate? Might be an idea to keep n eye on it for the next few days.
    Gringo78 wrote:
    A heavier more tubby version anyway - and just in time for silly season too.
    So, what's the story? Did you join up with a club? Still in Dublin? Any upcoming races? Sosa and Village Runner seem to have disappeared. There should be a 'what are they doing now...' thread!

Last night: 5 easy mile
    Just a few easy miles to bring the total up to 15 miles for the day. It's a 100% mileage week (according to Daniels). Not sure exactly what the 100% figure relates to (when I started, I had 90 miles in my head, but ran to 100 miles a few weeks back), so we'll see how the week progresses, but the most important thing is the sessions.

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:40/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Hi Rolex_, that looks very regular and given the accurate tracking of your strides, would seem to be valid data. Was it hot? Were you wearing excessive clothing? Do you monitor your resting heart rate? Might be an idea to keep n eye on it for the next few days.

Thanks for that KC, I did wear more clothes on the track for the first time this Autumn expecting a cold evening, maybe that's all it was. That and a bit of pre-Berlin paranoia perhaps? :D

Today: Slightly unorthodox Jack Daniels Plan A Tempo session

Right, this one didn't exactly go to plan, but the end result was just as good as the planned session (I think). Got distracted in work, so it was a little later than planned before I headed out the door to do this session. As per the last few days, there was a bit of a wind blowing from the West (which was directly in the path of the start of my tempo runs), but this is Ireland and that will happen.

Plan:
    2 x (20 mins easy + 20 mins tempo) and 2 miles warm-down.

Actual:
    20 mins easy = 2.7 miles @7:25/mile
    20 mins Tempo = 3.43 miles @5:50/mile
    <check watch, realize I've screwed up the time and I have a meeting in 45 minutes>
    20 mins easy 10 mins easy = 1.4 miles @7:10/mile
    20 mins Tempo = 3.44 miles @5:49/mile
    <At this stage I realize I have 14 minutes to run the 2.3 miles back to work for my meeting.>
    2 miles easy warm-down 2.3 panic miles @6:32/mile to get back to the office in 14 minutes
    30 Mins sweaty conference call - complete with lots of stretching
    2 miles warm-down @8:00/mile

So I had to shorten the middle easy miles by 10 minutes (better to trim off the easy miles than the tempo miles), but added a couple of quick miles after the tempo sections, and still managed to make my meeting and have a warm-down afterwards. Just as well I have understanding work-mates. It was also my first session in the Kinvara3 shoes and it went quite well. I'll reserve judgement until I see how I feel tomorrow morning, but it looks like I might have my marathon shoe.

Summary: 13.25 miles in 1:25, @6:24/mile + 2.08 miles @8:00/mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

So, what's the story? Did you join up with a club? Still in Dublin? Any upcoming races? Sosa and Village Runner seem to have disappeared. There should be a 'what are they doing now...' thread!

Didn't join a club...still in Dublin...no races, lots of hill training. Ramping up the mileage now, have the opportunity to average minimum 70mpw which is a big step up from the usual 20-30mpw i've been doing for the last few years so have to be careful not to get injured but hopefully average 70mpw up to christmas, lose about 10kg and hit waterford half marathon. Thats the rough plan. Expect I'll be posting "Not looking for medical advice but my achilles is f**ked" in about 4 weeks time. Or, if training goes well "Forgot to enter dublin marathon, any entries going...."

Today: 15.5 easy miles
    Legs a little stiff from yesterday' session, so took it handy while ratcheting up the miles. 10 mile run at lunch-time with a few very easy miles with Keith123, before heading for a run around Griffeen Valley Park. Followed up with 5 miles in the local park after work in the spikes.

Summary: 10.2 miles @7:47/mile + 5.33 miles @7:23/mile

Well, after another crap night of sleep, I said feck-it and threw on the running gear. Hitting the park, I was moving a little like one of the zombies from Shaun of the Dead. I felt knackered. Looking at the stats afterwards, I didn't realize just how knackered I was. Long time since I did a recovery run at that pace.

So, I gave up beer two weeks ago (over-looking a couple of pints last Saturday), so that I would: get more sleep, recover quicker, get down to race weight, feel better. I feel hungover, tired, sore and I weigh the same. It's going to kick-in, any minute now...

Pints tonight... :)

Summary: 5 miles in 42 minutes, @8:25/mile

Afternoon: Easy 10k
    What a difference a few hours makes. Just goes to show you the value of an easy recovery run. Instead of feeling old and decrepit, the legs had a lot more life. The light Kinvaras might have had something to do with it. Maybe I'm just not a morning runner. Just glad it felt a lot easier.

Summary: 10k in 45 mins, @7:12/mile

Today: Handy 5.8 mile run
    Despite a generous portion of hangover (abstinence is going great!), legs felt good, and had a lovely run in the sun, accompanied by Jack White and his Blunderbuss. Looking forward to a 22 miler in Phoenix Park tomorrow. Followed up with 5 minute plank (getting back into the core stuff).

Summary: 5.8 miles in 43 mins, @7:19/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Jack White?? Jack White??? I think you are the very first boardsie I've read who referenced this musical talent. I love Jack White. Have you ever seen the movie "It Might Get Loud"?? It's a tip of the hat to Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page - all uniquely talented guitarists who have influenced the field with their style and creativity. If you haven't seen the movie, it is a must if you dig any of these three greats. Here's the intro to the movie - it's so Jack White.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZ7DZ7HPXck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Should be a good concert on Halloween night as well for some post Marathon celebrations.

Is he playing in Dublin on Halloween????

Dory Dory wrote: »
    If you haven't seen the movie, it is a must if you dig any of these three greats. Here's the intro to the movie - it's so Jack White.
    Never heard of it! It's sitting on my hard-drive now. :) He's playing in the O2 (big arena) two nights after Dublin marathon. Auspicious or what?!

Never heard of it! It's sitting on my hard-drive now. :) He's playing in the O2 (big arena) two nights after Dublin marathon. Auspicious or what?!

You downloaded it?? You are my hero!! Pay attention to Jack when he says (and I'm paraphrasing) "why use 6 strings on a guitar when I can play with 3?"...or how technology is a destroyer of creativity.....and so on. For some strange reason, I think Kurt my appreciate his view on all that. After I saw this film (which I own), I realized Jack is the real deal.

He's at the O2??? He's old school, raw, stripped down.....full of blues....old soul...understands......I love this man. ;)

Also a big fan of Jimmy Page (and the other one isn't bad either!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

So, I gave up beer two weeks ago (over-looking a couple of pints last Saturday), so that I would: get more sleep, recover quicker, get down to race weight, feel better. I feel hungover, tired, sore and I weigh the same. It's going to kick-in, any minute now...

Pints tonight... :)
    Today: Handy 5.8 mile run
    Despite a generous portion of hangover (abstinence is going great!)

Soaking your Fr. Matthew pioneer pin in a thimbleful of neat vodka overnight, will leave it sparkling just like new (and leave you a handy pick-me-up for the morning).

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Soaking your Fr. Matthew pioneer pin in a thimbleful of neat vodka overnight, will leave it sparkling just like new (and leave you a handy pick-me-up for the morning).
    :D

Also a big fan of Jimmy Page (and the other one isn't bad either!).

Oh, they are class for sure. In fact, it was Jimmy Page and the Edge that attracted me to this film, not Jack since he was not the known entity that the other two were to me. But Jack made the biggest impression, and I discovered that there was actually god given talent underneath all that red and black, and a style I appreciated. Hope you enjoy the film.

Today: 22 mile long run

Emer was heading to the Park for a long run with Younganne, so it would've been wasteful not to head in to do my 22 mile long run, even if it meant a third week in a row of hitting the park at 9am (I'm definitely having a lie-in on the 29th October!). The young ladies headed off, so I stuck on some tunes and hit the road. I had thrown a progression-style run into the watch, just to keep the early miles easy and the later runs quicker, more to pass the time rather than any great need to run fast.

4 Miles @7:34/mile
    6 Miles @7:16/mile
    6 Miles @7:06/mile
    2 Miles @6:51/mile
    4 Miles @6:39/mile

Ran the first 10 miles on the trails around the park (Phoenix Park: let me count the ways I love thee), but with the next section I was really struggling to keep my pace in the required zone in the up'n'down twisty trails. I had just decided to move back to the paths/roads, when I spotted a runner moving quickly in the other direction. Wideball! We joined forces and chatted our way around the next 8-10 miles. I stopped the workout on the watch, but the miles were flying by and at a good clip too. The 22 mile mark (and 100 mile mark for the week) arrived all too soon. Felt great, and could easily have gone on for another few miles, but I'll save that for the big day. Sorry for dragging you around the extra few miles Wideball, and thanks a lot for the company; you made a long run so much shorter and faster!

Had 30 minutes to spare before the ladies finished their run, and had a picnic rug in the boot of the car, so spread it out on the grass and did my core session. I'm sure I looked like a right proper twat, but it meant the rest of the day off, which is a bit of a luxury these days!

Summary: 22 miles in 2:37:30, @7:06/mile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

How did you manage 22 miles in the Park without touching the Furze Rd or part of Chesterfield Ave? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Had 30 minutes to spare before the ladies finished their run, and had a picnic rug in the boot of the car, so spread it out on the grass and had a picnic, a bottle of wine and then a little snooze!!!

He was very comfortable looking when we got back and we hated to disturb him, but it was getting cold so Emer had to wake him:D:D

Mr Slow wrote: »
    How did you manage 22 miles in the Park without touching the Furze Rd or part of Chesterfield Ave? :)
    Trails. It's all about the trails. Where we're going, we don't need roads. At one stage, I needed a pee and there wasn't an obvious spot available, so I headed into a copse of trees (nowhere near the Furry Glen). I looked up from the job in hand and realized I was almost surrounded by antlered deer, all standing around watching me. It was like a scene from Hitchcock's 'The Birds', only with deer. Deer with big antlers.. and me with my lad out. Thank feck they're vegetarians.
    Younganne wrote:
    He was very comfortable looking when we got back and we hated to disturb him, but it was getting cold so Emer had to wake him
    I, on the other hand, am not a vegetarian. Barbecued venison... Yum..

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Today: 22 mile long run

Emer was heading to the Park for a long run with Younganne, so it would've been wasteful not to head in to do my 22 mile long run, even if it meant a third week in a row of hitting the park at 9am (I'm definitely having a lie-in on the 29th October!). The young ladies headed off, so I stuck on some tunes and hit the road. I had thrown a progression-style run into the watch, just to keep the early miles easy and the later runs quicker, more to pass the time rather than any great need to run fast.

4 Miles @7:34/mile
    6 Miles @7:16/mile
    6 Miles @7:06/mile
    2 Miles @6:51/mile
    4 Miles @6:39/mile

Ran the first 10 miles on the trails around the park (Phoenix Park: let me count the ways I love thee), but with the next section I was really struggling to keep my pace in the required zone in the up'n'down twisty trails. I had just decided to move back to the paths/roads, when I spotted a runner moving quickly in the other direction. Wideball! We joined forces and chatted our way around the next 8-10 miles. I stopped the workout on the watch, but the miles were flying by and at a good clip too. The 22 mile mark (and 100 mile mark for the week) arrived all too soon. Felt great, and could easily have gone on for another few miles, but I'll save that for the big day. Sorry for dragging you around the extra few miles Wideball, and thanks a lot for the company; you made a long run so much shorter and faster!

Had 30 minutes to spare before the ladies finished their run, and had a picnic rug in the boot of the car, so spread it out on the grass and did my core session. I'm sure I looked like a right proper twat, but it meant the rest of the day off, which is a bit of a luxury these days!

Summary: 22 miles in 2:37:30, @7:06/mile

Enjoyed the run today, I was running with no plan and was happy to help out with ur long run. Looking good for Dublin.

I'm just glad you didn't say "wee lad".

Monday: Rain, cold, wet, work, wet, cold, rain, run, shop, run, eat, work, wet, cold, run, wet, eat, sleep = 13.6 miles
    Tuesday: Rain, wet, cold, work, cold, rain, wet, run, strides, eat, work, cold, wet, eat, sleep = 8 miles

Wednesday: Jack Daniels Plan A - 1 Hour Easy + 6 x 1 Mile @Tempo + 2 Miles easy

After two days of pissing rain and getting soaked (ain't no motorcycling gear in the world can keep that rain out), the weather mysteriously cleared just as I got ready for my session. Plan called for an hour easy, followed by 6 x 1 mile at tempo pace (5:50/mile). Headed on a loop around Liffey Valley Park, with a quick loop around Ballyowen Park which I'd never visited before. Nice and flat, with some fresh tarmac, which would be perfect for intervals, but for the puddles which were large enough to be influenced by moon-phases. There was a nasty northern wind, but I was heading to my regular interval haunt on the road to Adamstown. Arrived feeling pretty fresh, despite running a little quicker than easy pace.

The intervals went fine. First few felt surprisingly comfortable, and I had to concentrate to slow the pace. The one minute break was just long enough for a quick stretch (and a drink every other mile). The later intervals got a little tougher, but I guess that's to be expected with this kind of session. As usual, left myself with only 20 minutes to make the 2 miles back to work and clean up before my next meeting, so not the smartest of warm-downs.

1 hour easy: 8.42 miles @ 7:07/mile
    Mile Intervals: 5:48/5:45/5:43/5:46/5:47/5:43
    Warm-down: 2 miles in 13:35, @6:38/mile

Summary: 16.7 miles in 1:53, @~6:35/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Monday: Rain, cold, wet, work, wet, cold, rain, run, shop, run, eat, work, wet, cold, run, wet, eat, sleep = 13.6 miles
    Tuesday: Rain, wet, cold, work, cold, rain, wet, run, strides, eat, work, cold, wet, eat, sleep = 8 miles

hahahahah insert 'entertain' and 'nappy change' and youve captured my week too :) Great running on the tempo - tough to do those long ones midweek

Wednesday evening: 30 mins core and weights

Thursday: 1 hour Easy. Bored with the usual routes, headed out to Baldonnel Airport. Now I'm no plane-spotter, but I still find it an impressive sight to have these massive compositions of aluminium and steel touching down alongside you with the grace of a butterfly. Whenever you run around Corkagh Park, they are a constant feature, passing overhead every couple of minutes. Planes, helicopters, army, private, commercial, they're always buzzing around the area. Did I see a single plane on my loop of Baldonnel? Did I fnck. Still, it was nice to clock up some quicker miles as the body loosened up from the previous day's long session. 8.58 miles in 60 minutes, @7:04/mile

Friday: 7 miles easy. They closed down my sandwich shop! Once every other week, I get lazy, and don't make myself a healthy lunch in the morning. Instead, I run the 3 miles to Adamstown, grab a Subway sandwich, and run back to work with sandwich in tow. Well no frickin more. It's gone. So instead I had to run the 7 mile round-trip, to the second nearest sandwich shop. Sandwich was cold by the time I got back. Grumble, recession, grumble. 7.25 Miles in 51 mins, @7:06/mile

Plane-spotting and bloody sandwiches. As a spotty 15 year old, I never dreamed that my life would take me on such exciting adventures. Running really changes a person. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Wednesday evening: 30 mins core and weights

Thursday: 1 hour Easy. Bored with the usual routes, headed out to Baldonnel Airport. Now I'm no plane-spotter, but I still find it an impressive sight to have these massive compositions of aluminium and steel touching down alongside you with the grace of a butterfly. Whenever you run around Corkagh Park, they are a constant feature, passing overhead every couple of minutes. Planes, helicopters, army, private, commercial, they're always buzzing around the area. Did I see a single plane on my loop of Baldonnel? Did I fnck. Still, it was nice to clock up some quicker miles as the body loosened up from the previous day's long session. 8.58 miles in 60 minutes, @7:04/mile

Friday: 7 miles easy. They closed down my sandwich shop! Once every other week, I get lazy, and don't make myself a healthy lunch in the morning. Instead, I run the 3 miles to Adamstown, grab a Subway sandwich, and run back to work with sandwich in tow. Well no frickin more. It's gone. So instead I had to run the 7 mile round-trip, to the second nearest sandwich shop. Sandwich was cold by the time I got back. Grumble, recession, grumble. 7.25 Miles in 51 mins, @7:06/mile

Plane-spotting and bloody sandwiches. As a spotty 15 year old, I never dreamed that my life would take me on such exciting adventures. Running really changes a person. :o

subway gone in the londis? ah bummer that was handy for lunch at the weekend.

how do u run to baldonnel airport as something I should explore.

Advertisement