Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Sunday: was all about recuperation and repair. Woke up extremely stiff and sore. Did my 5 minute plank exercises, which brought back a bit of flexibility, then headed to the park with the spikes to force a little more recovery. 5.8 slow miles completed out the 80 mile week, and finished off with P&D core and weights. Recovery be damned.
    Summary: 5.88 miles in 47 mins, @8:08/mile, HR=~117

Monday: 5.5 + 9 + 5.5
    Another high mileage week, so started it off right, with 20 miles in three runs. An easy commute to and from work, supplemented with a nice lunch run up towards Ticknock. The uphill climb was comfortable enough, but the downhill really hurt the tired quads, so I jogged back to work at a very easy pace.
    Summary: 20 miles @~7:35/mile

Tuesday: 5.5 + 5 + 5.5
    Same as Monday, just shortened the lunch run and did some strides instead, to ready the legs for a session on Wendesday.
    Summary: 16 miles @~7:26/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Just catching up the race report. A really great read made better sipping a Sierra Nevada. Some result. Really impressive splits.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I have to say fair play to Krusty and Pronator (that was me running with you from about kilometers 3 through 9).

That was my 10th marathon and while I'm usually relaxed before them there's always a bit of nervousness or tension. None whatsoever with the two lads!

I should know better by now but I went off too fast on Saturday. I had planned on averaging about 4.12 / km pace for the whole 50kms but after 3kms I was averaging close to 4 mins flat. I slowed a little and joined Krusty and Pronator. The lads were chatting away, joking, jogging along like it was a recovery run. The pace we were running would have brought us home in 3.25 and I was looking for 3.30, which would have been a bit ambitious for me. At 9kms I told the lads I'd ease up or I wouldn't finish but it took me about another 5kms before I lost sight of them and for the whole lap while I watched them bounce along in front of me all I could think was 'how are they so relaxed looking heading in to a sub 3.30 50k?'.

Whatever your targets are you're looking like you'll nail them. Keep up the good work. I'll have to pay more attention to your training log because you're doing something right.

For me, I ended up running the first 15km too fast and paid the price in the last 2 laps. Asimonov passed me with about 8kms to go. I tried to say hello but was starting to suffer. He's another runner who put in pefect splits. Top class running there. That's what I should have been doing, not going out so fast.

Apart from the 46th, 47th and 48th kilometers I really enjoyed the race. I'm more disappointed about going out too fast and fading than with missing the 3.30 target. I should know better. It was a year and a half since my last marathon so maybe I wasn't match fit. But it's a great event. Hopefully I'll be back next year.

Clum wrote: »
    I have to say fair play to Krusty and Pronator (that was me running with you from about kilometers 3 through 9).
    Ahh.. Good to put a name pseudonym to the face! I reckon I recognized you from somewhere. We've spoken/met/raced before? I know you mentioned Barcelona, but I don't think we met during that trip.

Personally, I run best when I'm not stressed. I reckon it keeps my HR lower, so I'm more likely to reach my goal. Have never been a 'grit your teeth with determination' kind of racer, more of 'look at that pretty tree' kind of runner. Still competitive, but more in a 'if I can pass this person out, my time will be better' kind of way. A hippy runner, if you like!

So, what's next on the cards for you? Further ultras (pardon the pun) or back to shorter and faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

So, what's next on the cards for you? Further ultras (pardon the pun) or back to shorter and faster?

Shorter and faster. My half marathon PB is way out of date. I've only raced one half marathon in the last two years so that's gotta change.

I've never raced a 10 miler before so that's the first target. I entered the Craughwell 10 which is in about 4 weeks. After that I'll mix it up with 5ks, 10ks and a couple of half marathons before targetting an autumn marathon.

We have been in a few races before, I can't remember which ones, but I'd see a lot more of you than you'd see of me as you're usually just in front of me.

• Advertisement

Wednesday: Jack Daniels Plan A - 2 x 20 mins @ Tempo

The legs were still pretty wrecked after Saturday's long run and another 37 miles between Monday and Tuesday didn't improve things, but I made a commitment that I would only do Donadea if it didn't interrupt my training. The wind was blowing strong, so I headed off on the three mile trek to the cinder track. I had printed off my track cheat-sheet (lap splits), and even went to the trouble of laminating it with sellotape. The session looked pretty tough on paper, so I was expecting a bit of a struggle. In the end, the tempo sections were pretty manageable. The near side of the track was into a strong head-wind, while I had an opportunity to recover during each lap with the wind behind me on the back-straight. Of course I had printed my lap splits in ascending order, while my watch was counting down the 20 minutes, so on each occasion I was distracted by the maths (lap split 6 = 8:42, so 20 minutes minus 8:42 is ??). Easy sums until you're doing them in the middle of a 20 minute tempo session, @5:50/mile. But it worked out great as I'd focus on the maths on the second half of each lap, before I crossed the lap marker.

In between tempo sections, I had to do a 10 minute easy run. A perfect opportunity for a pee, so I jumped into a nearby hedgerow, catching my legs in a few places on some briers. Didn't hurt, but of course as soon as I started running again, the gashes started to bleed, and the wind spread the blood droplets, so it looked like I had been in a massacre. I was getting some rather unusual looks as I loped around the park.

Second tempo went fine, too, with the mathematical distraction proving just enough that I didn't have to think too much about the headwind. Before I knew it, the tempo was over. The hardest part of the session was the three mile uphill run back to work, which was absolute torture. We runners must have some deep-rooted self-loathing to continually put ourselves through these struggles.

Session by numbers:
    Three mile warm-up: 22 mins @7:28/mile
    20 min tempo @5:50/mile, HR=155
    10 mins Easy @7:27/mile
    20 min tempo @5:50/mile, HR=157
    Three mile warm-down: 22 mins @7:33/mile

Summary: 14.12 miles in 1:34, @6:28/mile

Thursday: 7 + 4.5 + 5.5
    After the previous day's tough session I woke feeling quite sore and almost arthritic. Headed off to work with the back pack and within a mile the legs had loosened up, so instead of taking the shortest flattest route, I headed up towards Stepaside and took the long route to work. Was loving the run, but eventually had to turn-off and head into the office. Would have loved to do another few miles. Lunch-time was a more sedate painful affair with 4.5 miles on the grass, before another freezing, tired, backpack run home. Followed up with P&D core and weights.
    Summary: 17 miles @~7:29/mile

Friday: 5 mile recovery run
    Long steady run tomorrow, so just 5 miles this morning, before the legs had fully woken up. Legs were in rag order, so a very slow 8:30/mile on the grass in the spikes was the best I could manage. It was enough to shake out the cobwebs. Nice to have a break for 24 hours before my next run, which will hopefully see some flexibility return to the legs. More plank exercises and foam roller this evening.
    Summary: 5 miles in 42:43, @8:27/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Hey, wait a minute .... the previous page of this log starts off with the descent of the plague and ends up with zipping through a 50k ? This log is starting to give me the plot induced whip lash associated with a day time tv soap :D.

Despite this .... great run Mr Clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

:D Hi Krusty!! Nice work in the forest!! For some reason, I am envisioning you in some kind of Robin Hood attire....but I digress. Keep up the good work!! ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    :D Hi Krusty!! Nice work in the forest!! For some reason, I am envisioning you in some kind of Robin Hood attire....but I digress. Keep up the good work!! ;)
    Actually, I came dressed as a stripper, shedding a layer of clothing every time I passed the crowds at the start/finish. Lucky the race ended after 10 laps, or I would have been indecent!

• Advertisement

Today: 20 mile steady run
    Really woeful night's sleep was interrupted at 6:30am by the alarm clock, warning me that it was time for porridge after just around 3-4 hours of shut-eye. Met up with Pronator and prototype T2 (a smaller faster version of your typical Sli Cualann runner) at the Shanganagh main gates at 7:48am (typically, living just around the corner, I was the last to arrive). With 80 miles in the legs since the 50k race last Saturday, I wasn't entirely convinced that I'd be able to keep up with the lads for the entire run, but I hoped to stick with them as long as I could. Plan was to average 6:30-6:40/mile and then Pronator was going to tuck into some PMP miles, which would definitely see me spat out the back. We did an easy mile or two around the park before heading to Cabinteely via Tulylvale, which is a lovely route with some teasing little climbs. Up around Leopardstown and a quick glance at the watch told me that we were gradually picking up the pace (averaging 6:30/mile). Hitting mile 13 the pace was pretty close to my marathon pace, and the next 6-7 miles were at around my goal pace (but still comfortable for the two lads).

I lost touch with the guys as we arrived back in Shankill village, suffering tired legs, particularly on the short climbs, but with just a couple of miles to go, I just needed to maintain the current pace. I had to pause for 20 seconds in the park to massage out a worsening stitch under my rib-cage, which stopped me in my tracks, but otherwise, kept going to see out the 20 miles. Very happy with this run, particularly as it comes on the back of another 100 mile week (after an easy 7 miles tomorrow) and glad that the schedule only holds one further triple digit mileage week before London.

Summary: 20 miles in ~2:07, @6:24/mile, HR=~147

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Your training log opened for me on the first page, and reading today's post really shows how far you've come. These pages will be some keepsake in your old(er) age.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Great run today Gary. On top of last weeks 50k and today, your confidence should be growing. Keep ticking off the weeks now. Next LSR will be a bit slower ;)

Pronator wrote: »
    Next LSR will be a bit slower ;)
    Why, are we bringing TheRoadRunner with us? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Why, are we bringing TheRoadRunner with us? ;)

fcuker

Yesterday: 7.3 mile recovery run
    Very easy grass recovery run to round up the weekly mileage. A bit of shin pain on the left side, which is a little worrisome after a high mileage week, so I'll be mothering it this week. After the run, I threw a big slab of pork loin into the oven for 7 hours at a low temperature (love me a bit of pulled pork) and headed rock climbing with the missus for a couple of hours. I've said it before, but 'best core and weights workout ever'!
    Summary: 7.3 miles in 60 mins, @8:17/mile

This week: The schedule this week calls for 90 miles, but with the Ballycotton 10 this weekend and the worrying shin pain, I'm going to swap the weeks around and reduce it to 70 miles. I'll do one of the two planned sessions and the race. The options are:
    8 x 1 mile @10 mile pace with 30 seconds rest (=14 miles)
    Tempo session, with 2 x 12 min tempo + 1 hour easy + 20 mins tempo (=21 miles)

I'm thinking that the 1st session would be great prep for Ballycotton (if done early enough (like tomorrow). The second session is a really good one, but at 21 miles is just a bit much before the 10 mile race, and the race itself is probably a decent enough substitute (with 10 miles at tempo). After Donadea last week, my endurance is in pretty good shape, so the need isn't as great for long sessions, but I hate missing out on good tough sessions like this one. Any thoughts?

Weight: My weight is also heading in the right direction (now 11st 5.5lbs (72.3kgs)), so just 1-2 pounds off of race weight. 5-6 weeks should see me at the right levels, so just a bit of diet management during taper.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I'd go with option 1 and make sure you stick to tempo pace and don't drift into 10k pace.
    The alternative is to do the tempo session but drop some of the easy mileage so it's more like a 16 as part of a mid-week medium run.

Not sure if I've helped or confused you more :)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Not sure if I've helped or confused you more :)
    A bit of both. :)

I did the 8 x 1 mile session 4 days before the national half last last September and have rarely felt quite as strong during a race, so I'll probably give that another go (as long as this shin pain recedes).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

A bit of both. :)

I did the 8 x 1 mile session 4 days before the national half last last September and have rarely felt quite as strong during a race, so I'll probably give that another go (as long as this shin pain recedes).

I'd Sub the race for 8 x 1 mile and maybe do 5 x 1 mile at 10mile pace on tuesday or wed. Then run race on sunday and knock out 10miles easy later that evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Any thoughts?

I'd just take it easy for a few days, maybe even a few months. Give the rest of us a chance to catch up.;)

I'd definitely go for the 8 X 1 mile tomorrow and just easy running up to Ballycotton. You've gotten in bucket loads of endurance over the past few weeks and you've plenty of time till London to work in some more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Think Canova said something about scheduling sessions in the latter phases of marathon training which might be relevant.
    He schedules either an intensive or extensive session based on what the athlete needs. Your last two excellents essions means that endurance wont be an issue for you in the key sessions coming up. Now for balance you want to make the intensity @ around MP feel easier. So 8 X 1m and race is perfect (assuming Shin being OK). a 10m race is a seriously beneficial session and wont require the recovery of a half. As Beepbeep said approach the 8 x 1m with caution: warm up very well and make sure that first rep is at the right intensity. 5-10 s slower than average for the first rep may be the right intensity. Youre in super shape and the recent 50k can be regarded as reflecting a breakthrough in my opinion.
    As youd enter the last few weeks big training, id consider manipulate the training slightly to optimise recovery between big key sessions. Changing the odd easy pace down to recovery, sleeping well before and after a key session. Thats not reducing volume nor is it a taper, its just a reflection that these sessions become more important as sessions become more specific closer to race time. So in your mind you want to be slightly more rested for these sessions and you manipulate the in between accordingly. Minute gains in aerobic conditioning at that stage are less relevant to the gains of the specific sessions relative to your goal, which will improve aerobic conditioning anyway.
    One to consider a few weeks down the line maybe, but might be a good week to practice it this week with an eye on the shin and the two sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Great post there T Runner to help keep the minds focused!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Mind the shin injury doesn't develop into something bigger.
    Take it from someone currently off running due to a stress fracture in my foot.

The joys of cycling and aqua running/swimming have replaced my running fix.

wideball wrote: »
    Mind the shin injury doesn't develop into something bigger.
    Take it from someone currently off running due to a stress fracture in my foot.

The joys of cycling and aqua running/swimming have replaced my running fix.
    Ah sh1te. Sorry to hear that. Hope it heals up quick. Yes, it's been worrying me a little. I was all set for a second run last night, but knocked it on the head (which was a real challenge). It's unfortunately only after I pick up an injury that I look back and think about the stupidity of my approach. A 100 mile week with two sessions the week after a steady 31 mile run is asking for trouble. Hopefully I've escaped it this time. It's feeling mostly better today. Will see how it holds-up over today's session, and organize a massage if necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Yesterday: 7.3 mile recovery run
    Very easy grass recovery run to round up the weekly mileage. A bit of shin pain on the left side, which is a little worrisome after a high mileage week, so I'll be mothering it this week. After the run, I threw a big slab of pork loin into the oven for 7 hours at a low temperature (love me a bit of pulled pork) and headed rock climbing with the missus for a couple of hours. I've said it before, but 'best core and weights workout ever'!
    Summary: 7.3 miles in 60 mins, @8:17/mile

This week: The schedule this week calls for 90 miles, but with the Ballycotton 10 this weekend and the worrying shin pain, I'm going to swap the weeks around and reduce it to 70 miles. I'll do one of the two planned sessions and the race. The options are:
    8 x 1 mile @10 mile pace with 30 seconds rest (=14 miles)
    Tempo session, with 2 x 12 min tempo + 1 hour easy + 20 mins tempo (=21 miles)

I'm thinking that the 1st session would be great prep for Ballycotton (if done early enough (like tomorrow). The second session is a really good one, but at 21 miles is just a bit much before the 10 mile race, and the race itself is probably a decent enough substitute (with 10 miles at tempo). After Donadea last week, my endurance is in pretty good shape, so the need isn't as great for long sessions, but I hate missing out on good tough sessions like this one. Any thoughts?

Weight: My weight is also heading in the right direction (now 11st 5.5lbs (72.3kgs)), so just 1-2 pounds off of race weight. 5-6 weeks should see me at the right levels, so just a bit of diet management during taper.

Id agree with the choice of the first one. Canova's schedules juggle extensiveness and intensiveness depending on the athlete when things get specific. Youve done extensive work recently with the 50k race and the fast paced 20 miler. So on balance, it may be the turn of the more intense session. The 8 by 1 mile and Ballycotton 10m, will set you up for the remaining big sessions, i.e marathon race pace etc. will feel easier.

Id be well warmed up for and approach the first rep cautiously to make sure that its not too intense: 30s recovery doesn't give much scope for error.

Id consider gradually introducing slight manipulations of easy run intensity, sleep hours etc to bias towards the key big specific sessions as you get closer to race day. Overall volume remains with technically slightly more quality to these key sessions.

Might be one to practice this week as youre going a little easier anyway watching the shin and preparing for the two sessions.

Cheers T-Runner, great post indeed. The remaining sessions look like the following (all with 2-3 mile warm-up/down):

Week|Session 1|Session 2
    Week7|15 miles @marathon pace | 4 x 2 miles @Tempo
    Week6|22 Mile LSR | 2 x (20 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week5|(4 x 1 Mile @tempo) + 10 miles easy + (4 x 1 Mile @tempo) | 1 Hour easy + (6 x 1 mile tempo) + 15 mins easy
    Week4|22 Mile LSR | 2 x (40 Min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week3|15 miles @marathon pace | 2 x (20 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week2|2 x (15 min tempo + 3 min rest) + 45 min Easy| 2 x (40 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week1|4 x 1200 @Tempo | Race

It's based on an American calendar, where Session 1 is typically done on the Sunday of the previous week, however, I tend to organize the sessions based on what works best for me. Week 6, I will likely substitute the 22 mile LSR for a half marathon (raced, or at least faster than marathon pace anyway). Week 2 - Session 2 I'll substitute for something else as well, as I reckon it's just too tough a session 9-10 days before the goal marathon (~23 miles). There's a lot of quality, but not too much running at marathon pace (two sessions) with the brunt being at tempo/easy pace. I'd like to get a shorter/sharper race in there somewhere, so may sub-out a session at some point in favour of a 5k/10k race. Will also sub-out some sessions for group club runs (where possible), as the other lads are faster than me, so even a long progression run is a solid session for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Cheers T-Runner, great post indeed. The remaining sessions look like the following (all with 2-3 mile warm-up/down):

Week|Session 1|Session 2
    Week7|15 miles @marathon pace | 4 x 2 miles @Tempo
    Week6|22 Mile LSR | 2 x (20 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week5|(4 x 1 Mile @tempo) + 10 miles easy + (4 x 1 Mile @tempo) | 1 Hour easy + (6 x 1 mile tempo) + 15 mins easy
    Week4|22 Mile LSR | 2 x (40 Min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week3|15 miles @marathon pace | 2 x (20 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week2|2 x (15 min tempo + 3 min rest) + 45 min Easy| 2 x (40 min easy + 20 min tempo)
    Week1|4 x 1200 @Tempo | Race

It's based on an American calendar, where Session 1 is typically done on the Sunday of the previous week, however, I tend to organize the sessions based on what works best for me. Week 6, I will likely substitute the 22 mile LSR for a half marathon (raced, or at least faster than marathon pace anyway). Week 2 - Session 2 I'll substitute for something else as well, as I reckon it's just too tough a session 9-10 days before the goal marathon (~23 miles). There's a lot of quality, but not too much running at marathon pace (two sessions) with the brunt being at tempo/easy pace. I'd like to get a shorter/sharper race in there somewhere, so may sub-out a session at some point in favour of a 5k/10k race. Will also sub-out some sessions for group club runs (where possible), as the other lads are faster than me, so even a long progression run is a solid session for me.

A nice shiny 5k PB beckons on the flat and fast Ashford course at the Wicklow R/R champs on Apr 4th ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    A nice shiny 5k PB beckons on the flat and fast Ashford course at the Wicklow R/R champs on Apr 4th ;)
    I was actually just thinking about that. It would probably fit in with this kind of session: 2 x (20 min easy + 20 min tempo)

...though following up a 5k pb attempt with a 5k tempo wouldn't be the most enticing! I reckon P&D plans are generally more suited to hitting a 5k pb during marathon training, as there is a lot of emphasis on training at current 5k pace (V02 max). Whereas with the volume of tempo running in the Jack Daniels Plan A, one is more likely to see gains at the 10k - 1/2 marathon distance. Still worth a pop though, as general speed/endurance improvements could lead to positive benefits at 5k distance, even if not training for that specific distance.

Yesterday: 6 grass miles
    Taking things very handy, so just 6 miles on the grass at recovery pace, until the shin starts to feel a little better. Took all of my will-power not to go out for a second run that evening, but I settled for some P&D core and weights and started my regime of getting to bed slightly earlier.
    Summary: 6.27 miles in 49 mins, @~7:46/mile, HR=~118

Today: Jack Daniels Plan A: 8 x 1 Mile (actually 1,600m) @Tempo
    Calf was feeling a little better after some TLC (Difene spray, compression, icing and grass running). I felt it while walking down the stairs out of work and I felt it over the first 800m of my run, but after that, the pain (mild as it is) was gone. During the run I had a chance to think on it some more and what exactly caused the problem. Given that it only seems to affect me on downhills and walking down steps, it seems to be an impact injury, and on thinking about it, it's probably from last Saturday's run, when we ran down Leopardstown Road. Some good tarmac path is ruined by some channels for people's driveways, so running at close to 6 minute mile, there were some tough impacts on high mileage legs. Not to worry. Seems muscular only, so should be good in a day or two of grass running.

Three very easy miles took me to Kilbogget cinder track, where there was one lady already doing some laps. I think I may have unintentionally intimidated her off the track, as after a quick smile and a nod, she was gone. Unfortunately she was replaced by some parents with young kids and a couple of dogs. The kids I don't mind, as they tend to run in a pretty predictable path, so can be avoided, but the $%&£$ dogs.. First interval, first lap, half way around the track where the parents, kids and dogs are all standing around the inside lane. Dogs aren't on leashes, so Fido unknowingly steps directly into my path, and I grind to a halt narrowly avoiding falling over him. I glare back at them and say 'I'm sorry...'. The words mean one thing, but they eyes and gritted teeth are saying something completely different. They soon head to another part of the massive park. The park is for everyone, but a bit of mutual respect would go a long way.

Anyway, I get running again, and hit the 200m mark in around 38 seconds. I'm confused. My lap splits should be 1:25, so half of 1:25 is around 33 seconds. I'm way off the pace. I pick it up, and complete the first lap (despite the Fido interlude) in ~1:15. Once again, my watch is counting down the seconds, rather than counting up. I don't have the time to figure it out. Approaching the end of the fourth lap, it dawns on me. Half of 1:25 isn't 33 seconds. It's actually 42-43 seconds. D'oh. Idiot. Damage done, I complete the first 1,600m at closer to 5k pace (around 5:20/mile). I stop my watch, and fix the display field so it now displays lap time (€2 stopwatch would have done a better job), and get going again. This time it's better, but still way too fast. I hit the lap button, so I still only get 30 seconds recovery. That'll teach me for going too fast. This interval was around 5:30 pace. Third interval was a little better, at 5:38, but after that I got into the groove. The 30 seconds recovery was gone in the blink of an eye. Barely time to stretch or get rid of the phlegm, before lining up for the start of the next one. Suffered the same stitch under the ribs as I had on Saturday. I know it's caused by my breathing patterns, but try as I might, I could not change my breathing sufficiently to get rid of the stitch.

Anyway, I did myself no favours, by running the early intervals way too fast, so the later intervals got tougher and tougher, but finally it was done. All over-ambitious thoughts of a ground-breaking Ballycotton run on Sunday gradually leaked out, lap by lap. I know a session like today's has little bearing on the outcome on race day, but I can say with some certainty that heading out a 5:42/mile pace would be a pretty significant risk. I'm sure I'd be good for the first 6-7 miles, but when the climbs came towards the end of the race, I'd be in a shambles. So it looks like I'll have to take a more conservative approach and start out with a target of 5:45/mile and see if I can pick up the pace over the closing miles. Average heart rate for the intervals were: 159 -> 162.

Summary: 14.78 miles in 1:35, @6:36 (including recovery).

• Advertisement

Wednesday & Thursday: Boring, boring, boring, boring grass loop running

No real change to the shin (no better no worse) so have been sticking to the grass and taking it easy, in the hope that the shin will heal with a couple of days of low-impact slow running. Hasn't happened, so off to the physio tonight (don't anyone mention the 'R' word). Think my last visit was a couple of days before Dublin marathon, so I have fared pretty well. Hoping he'll just confirm that it's just muscular, do a bit of his healing magic and send me off for two more days of easy running before the race. Otherwise the legs are feeling good, and I was trotting out some steady miles this afternoon, without noticing the sub-conscious increase in speed.

I really like running, but not for the sake of running; not for just ticking off miles. There's got to be a point to it, something to see, something to do, which is why endless loops in a field drive me mad. I woke this morning prematurely at 6am, which would have been a great opportunity to go for a run, but thoughts of running loops around the local park (from which I had departed just 11 hours previously), was so off-putting that I just sat in bed and waited for 90 minutes, until I found the motivation to put on the running gear. The run was as dreary as I had imagined it might be. Even the radio couldn't lift the spirits, with it's talk of child neglect, underpaid mortgages and corrupt politicians. The afternoon run was a little better, but hand me a blank piece of paper, and I could plot the entire park, complete with 'x's for the locations of the various dog poops, and crushed Heineken cans. The road to the marathon is very long at times.

Summary: 7 + 6 + 5 + 5 miles easy/recovery

Advertisement