Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Cracking run by BTH too, who ain't a half-bad runner, for someone who dabbles in the dark arts.

BTH finally coming close to producing times that someone of his physique should be able to run. You can guarantee no one who beat me today did a hard 2.75km swim session last night! Good to see you again today KC, even if only briefly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

6 foot, medium build.

Just having an educated guess here but I would say 9-9.5 stone would be too light? I know that's not your goal but you 'ideal' race weight is probably 10.5 stone so not too far out.

At 6'2, I used to race at 11.5 and have (almost certainly never to be fulfilled) ambitions of getting close to 12 stone for the next marathon. I see Mark Kenneally is listed at 12 stone exactly and 6'3 and 1/2.

Sorry to drag this out, weight remains an active issue for me running wise. The food diary is something I am going to try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Another savage weeks training there Gary. Genuinely excited to see what you run in London. Fingers crossed you get the sort of luck you need. However I am booking flights to London for the weekend of the marathon as we're guaranteed to get some scorching weather ;)
    So who won the battle of the giants? Both TRR and Thirstywork2 ran extremely well and finished with superb times, but that's largely irrelevant, as they were well beaten by a Bray/Sli Cualann Runner, which is the only result that counts. ;)

Ha ha, there's always a new target. At least I wasn't beaten by one of the 3 Boards Sli Cualann amigo's ;)

Regards the weight thing. The food diary really is an eye opener isn't it! I did one for a couple of weeks before but I hadn't got the patience to keep it going. I think you may be entitled to an additional 200 calories or so a day. I think those diaries consider the calories you burn while running only. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but after a run the bodies metabolism is generally increased for a number of hours, I suppose to repair muscle damage etc and you get some additional calorie burning here. Just trying to help you justify your pig out after long runs :) By the way seen a pic of you in Ballycotton and there's not a pick on ya

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Just having an educated guess here but I would say 9-9.5 stone would be too light? I know that's not your goal but you 'ideal' race weight is probably 10.5 stone so not too far out.

At 6'2, I used to race at 11.5 and have (almost certainly never to be fulfilled) ambitions of getting close to 12 stone for the next marathon. I see Mark Kenneally is listed at 12 stone exactly and 6'3 and 1/2.

Sorry to drag this out, weight remains an active issue for me running wise. The food diary is something I am going to try.

Id be the same Paddy,would love to get under 12stone by end of the Summer but stuck on 12 and half.What you weigh when you ran your marathon last year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Id be the same Paddy,would love to get under 12stone by end of the Summer but stuck on 12 and half.What you weigh when you ran your marathon last year?

13.8 stone. Weighed myself that morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

TRR wrote: »
    Regards the weight thing. The food diary really is an eye opener isn't it! I did one for a couple of weeks before but I hadn't got the patience to keep it going. I think you may be entitled to an additional 200 calories or so a day. I think those diaries consider the calories you burn while running only. I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head but after a run the bodies metabolism is generally increased for a number of hours, I suppose to repair muscle damage etc and you get some additional calorie burning here. Just trying to help you justify your pig out after long runs :) By the way seen a pic of you in Ballycotton and there's not a pick on ya
    That's kind of the interesting thing. I'm not really limiting my food intake at all. In fact I'm probably eating more than I did for previous marathons, which is why I reckon it's a form of healthy weight-loss, and as such, it will be difficult to be 'too light'. I'm just being guilted into eating better food. I hear you about the patience required to enter the data, but the process seems to be a little easier now as most of the foodstuffs from Irish supermarkets are there already (Tesco, Dunnes, Superquinn, Aldi, LIDL). You can also scan bar-codes if using a phone app (I should really be part of their marketing team!). The only real pain is when you come across US measures, like cups. I don't bother putting other forms of exercise, like wall-climbing, core, weights etc. Just too much hassle. Last night I broke my fast and enjoyed 1,097 calories of beer. Still had a 1,037 calorie deficit. God bless the long run!
    Spot on. When I said 'my ideal weight' it wasn't 'my' I was referring to, but more of a 2:04 marathon runner. Having said that, I believe that Ryan Hall is 5ft 10, and 10 stone, so I was probably pretty far off the mark. Jack Daniels tables spreadsheet makes for interesting reading. After you enter details (age/weight/height/race time) it projects what your times could be based on losing or gaining weight. As with all these kinds of formulaic predictors, it's more a case of 'interesting reading' rather than 'written in stone'. By the way, if you got your weight down to 166 pounds, JD would give you a 2:30 marathon (without having to do any additional training).. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

By the way seen a pic of you in Ballycotton and there's not a pick on ya

I've seen him more recently and I thought he was looking a bit chubs if I'm being truthful:D.

Yesterday: 5 miles + rock climbing

Legs and body were actually feeling ok, despite Saturday's tough 22 mile run, so just an easy 5.4 miles around the park to wrap-up the 90 mile week. Followed up with two hours of rock climbing with some friends and family, cos everyone celebrates Paddy's day in their own way. A good core workout that left the legs a little more limber and the upper body absolutely shagged!

Summary: 5.42 miles in 41 mins, @7:35/mile, HR=123

Today: DUNE Dundalk to Newry Half Marathon

Pronator had arrived at the house at 7:30am, and we were soon on the road to Dundalk, complete with the two lady-clowns, who were accompanying us to do a little shopping in Newry (and give us a lift!). As we made our way along the M50, I failed to notice that the temperatures had dropped to below 0'C, didn't notice that the surface water on the road had turned to slush and ice, and didn't notice the three/four car pile-up on the side of the road, until I had to drive through the debris left behind by the accident. Not a good start to the day for the car occupants, but hopefully everyone emerged unscathed. A couple more accidents along the road, and we figured it was time to slow down. It was freezing and dangerous out there. We got a great parking spot in Dundalk, and stepping out of the car to pick up our race numbers, confirmed the freezing temperatures, before heading out for a couple of warm-up miles. Legs were unsurprisingly a little tired, but surprisingly niggle free. Got changed and headed to the start line, with the strategy dilemma still intact. 5:50/mile (PB pace) or 6:05/mile (marathon pace)? I'd love to have a pop at the PB, but the weather conditions (6-7 m/s head-wind from start to finish), Saturday's 22 mile run in the legs and hilly course, suggested that a marathon pace session would be a good outcome.

At the start line, we were greeted by the familiar face of Gary O'Hanlon (should have just handed him first place and saved him the trouble of running) and a few other quick looking runners around, but no signs of a hugely competitive field. Pronator's goal was marathon pace, so if I ran at HMP, I'd have some company for at least part of the race, so I was still very much undecided. We started off with a half-loop around Dundalk town, before heading out of town in the direction of Newry. We passed a couple of over-zealous starters to move from around 9th place up to 5th/6th. GOH was running with us at this stage, looking extremely comfortable at what was likely easy pace for him (Mile 1-5:53), before we hit an long straight and felt the wind for the first time, that would stay with us for the entire duration of the race. The second mile was 6:02, and I realized that it wasn't a day to be shooting for a PB. I'd effectively have to push through and ahead of the leading pack, and battle into the wind entirely on my own, leading out the field. So I figured I'd make the most of the situation and tuck in for a solid marathon pace session, or slightly faster if I could manage it.

A bit of banter with the other runners over the next mile or two, as we were all in a pack (miles passed in 5:54 and 6:12), before GOH broke his cherry, and pulled up for a pee on the side of the road mid-race for the first time in his illustrious running career. We should really have done the decent thing and waited up for him, but within a minute or two, he'd caught up with us, barely breaking a sweat, and passed on some course advice, before pushing on to chase down the leading group, who had opened up a bit of a gap on the first stretch of the long climb that lay ahead. The climb started at the 2.5 mile mark, and the route was essentially a long drag for the next 8 miles, until we reached 10.5 miles. Running up the drag into the wind, was tough as it was pretty unrelenting, but I felt pretty strong (if a little tired) running close marathon pace (miles in 6:02, 6:08, 6:10, 6:06, 6:03), with a bit of a slow down at the steepest most open section of the climb, in 6:23. It was great having Pronator for company (like Donadea, just a bit shorter and faster), and he did such a fine job, I may even even him back to pace me in London in 5 week's time. :) We were both eagerly awaiting the two mile down-hill that Gary O'Hanlon had told us about, and that helped with the remaining tiring uphill miles.

Finally we hit a roundabout that signaled the end of the climb and the descent into Newry. And what a descent it was. The pace picked up instantly as we recovered and made our way into the town centre, narrowly avoiding ignorant BMW-driver, who didn't seem to want to have to wait until we had passed and pulled out in front of us, causing a quick deceleration and detour Miles 11 and 12: 6:06 and 5:30). Finally we passed the 12 mile marker, and Pronator finally pulled out the stops and started accelerating for home. I couldn't match his leg turnover/stride length as we sped to the finish line, and he nipped in 6 seconds ahead of me, where I finished with a 5:17 mile, in 1:18:24, for 6th place and first M40.

So no assault on the PB today, but instead a very solid training session on tired legs, that felt hard but comfortable at a pace a good bit quicker than marathon pace. Some good things to be taken from this one.

Summary: 13.1 in 1:18:24, @5:59/mile, HR=154, plus another 4.5 miles warm-up/down.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Very, very solid run today Gary. The run confirms your shape, just need to keep a lid on it now over the next 34 days:eek:

Thanks for the lift and good company. That pacing gig in London could be on the cards :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great run, here's one you might want to show the grand kids, keeping step with GOH. That singlet is very striking!

8908_521604401219320_1394449076_n.jpg

pconn062 wrote: »
    That singlet is very striking!
    You should see the new Bray Runners singlet! Wouldn't be out of place in an 80's disco, but easy to spot yourself in the race photos. That must have been pretty early in the race. I was carrying Gary along at that stage before he found his second wind. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

Nice bumping into you today Krusty, me with my over-zealous start and all. :-) Your training for London must be going great. Best of luck.

Nice bumping into you today Krusty, me with my over-zealous start and all. :-) Your training for London must be going great. Best of luck.
    Yeah, you too Aonghus. Congrats on the PB. On a flatter circuitous course you'll knock the crap out of that shiny new PB!

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭NiallG4

pconn062 wrote: »
    Great run, here's one you might want to show the grand kids, keeping step with GOH. That singlet is very striking!

Hi KC. Yes this was just outside Dundalk (prob just starting mile 3). I was at the top of the first hill at 4 mile. I seen you in this group and gary about 30 yards behind hobbling. I drove alongside him to ask is he ok (it being his race series weekend 5K, 10K half) and he said he was busting for a pee. I was then at about 6.5 mile where the race left the road and went into the cyle path and the group above was down to 4. When Gary came out the other side about 1.6 miles later the group was down to 1 with a 30-40 sec lead. I seen you and Pronator passing the hotel side by side. Myself and Gary were in Dundalk last night having a late St Patricks weekend drink and we were looking at this photo above. Another friend walked in and said "I seen those two boys i.e. you and Pronator in Burger King in Newry to-day". A well deserved whopper meal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

By the way seen a pic of you in Ballycotton and there's not a pick on ya

It's true what he says, put away that calorie counter thing and ate a few more spuds.

NiallG4 wrote: »
    "I seen those two boys i.e. you and Pronator in Burger King in Newry to-day". A well deserved whopper meal.
    Haha, very true! Pronator was introducing me to his pre-London nutritional strategy; a healthy blend of chicken balls and Burger King! Not so sure how he's as skinny as a whippet!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Haha, very true! Pronator was introducing me to his pre-London nutritional strategy; a healthy blend of chicken balls and Burger King! Not so sure how he's as skinny as a whippet!

You cant beat a bit of Horse Burger KC :eek:

Pronator wrote: »
    Is that what gave you that speed down the hill into Newry? That was some canter!

Pronator wrote: »

Sure you wickla boys eat your young, a horse burger would be haute cusine for you savages :)

• Advertisement

Tuesday: 7 + 7 miles
    An easy 7.5 miles around the park outside of work. Supposed to be a lunch-run but work dragged it out until nearly 5pm, and having not eaten since breakfast, I was bleedin starving. Legs feeling ok, despite yesterday's solid run.

Left work a couple of hours later with just an easy 5.5 miles to home, but as I headed into Cabinteely Park for my usual short-cut home, the gate was locked. Ran around to the main gate and entered the park. Of course arriving at the other side, another locked gate... and another. Until I'd run a loop of the park and back out the original gate. Grrr... Not what you want on tired legs, when it's freezing cold, you've been in work for 11.5 hours and you're so hungry you could eat your young. Still after a couple of tired miles the energy levels picked up, and I cruised the rest of the way home.
    Summary: 14.5 miles

I changed my mind many times about going out to do this race, but in the end, it was the opportunity to get out of work at 6:30pm that coaxed me away from my desk and the easy comfort of a recovery run. I had run this race last year in fairly similar conditions (freezing cold, and in the midst of marathon training) but last time around I had been following a P&D plan, that included a lot of 5k-specific training at around 5:20/mile. By contrast, the Jack Daniels plan I'm following at the moment is primarily focused on tempo runs, at a less relevant 5:48/mile. Throw in a 90 mile week and a strong half marathon two days previous and I figured I'd be hard pushed to break 5 minutes, not to mind the 4:58 I ran last year. There was definitely a reticence to compete in a race where I suspected I was not in PB shape (I need to think positive thoughts for the next 4.5 weeks!), but in the end, I figured I'd do the race for the craic, just to have another lash at a track race and do it for the sheer buzz of racing.

I arrived out to the track in Greystones to the welcome site of Beepbeep (and his car, where I could safely stash my bike gear!) and after a brief registration, headed track-side and met-up with wrstan for an easy warm-up and chat. Wrstan dropped off to put on his spikes, and I thought to myself fnck it.. Why didn't I bring spikes to a track race? Thankfully, the sub 5:30 race got bumped to an earlier time, so before I knew it, we were called to the track. I recognized Timmaay who won the race last year, in around 4:48, so someone to keep an eye on. Apart from himself and wrstan, I didn't recognize any of the other runners.

Race plan: I hadn't really thought in terms of race strategy, but the one and only mile race I ran previously, I kept it steady for 3.5 laps and pushed hard on the final half lap, a strategy which seemed to work out well. This time I figured I'd keep it steady for three laps, and push from the start of the 4th lap.

Lap 1: As soon as the race started, I made an uncustomary move into a good position, falling in behind a main leading pack, in around 6/7th place. The leading group was bunched up, and I was tucked in just behind them. I had a slightly outside position, but there were no real opportunities to get an inside line. The pace felt hard initially, but I settled into it and it was feeling more and more comfortable as the lap went on. Can't remember the exact splits, but I think the clock at the start line read 1:12.

Lap 2: The runners ahead moved into a line formation, taking advantage of any wind shelter available, and I hugged the runner in front (it's a wicklaw thing!). The runner trailing me got a little close and I felt my foot being clipped. I glanced back hoping to impress upon the runner that a bit of space might be wise and continued working my way around the track, maintaining the pace. Completed this lap in around 1:15, with 2:28 showing on the clock.

Lap 3: Pace was actually feeling a little more comfortable and I was tempted to start pushing on, but knew that holding on for this lap was more important. Still I managed to make up a place on this lap, more as one runner slowed, rather than any effort to speed-up. The Garmin log suggests that I completed this lap in 1:15, with around 3:43 showing on the clock.

Lap 4: Time to pick it up. I gradually increased the pace, but so did all of the runners ahead. I was now in fourth place, and as I hit the back straight, my thoughts went to trying to pick off the third-place runner. As we hit the bend before the final straight, we were both running at max speed and the distance between us did not change and we both gave it everything, with him taking third place about a second ahead of me. Based on the Garmin track-log (actual results may vary!) and my official finishing time, I completed this lap in 1:11, for a finishing time of 4:54. I initially thought I'd finished in 4:52, which I was delighted with. A later confirmation (from my agent on the inside!) confirmed a slightly less impressive finishing time of 4:54 and another old fella 1st place, but under the circumstances, a result I'm very happy with.

Now, 4 hours later, my lungs are still hurting after taking quite a beating in the freezing cold air, but I'm well happy that I made the trek out to Greystones as it has given me a renewed hunger to go do some more track races, and have a pop at the shorter stuff. Well done to wrstan too, who took nearly 20 seconds off of his previous PB. Next year I'll have to wear the spikes and skip the half marathon, as I'll need to have every advantage to stay ahead of him.

Summary: 5 miles with 1 mile at 4:54, @4:54/mile. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Nice to mix it up and be very interesting to see after london if you spent few months on shorter stuff what you could run from 1mile-10k

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Great running Gary, and thanks for the compliment, I reckon you're safe for another year, or 5, and then some... :rolleyes:

You're dead on about the sheer buzz of racing - there's always so much to learn from it. And execution can be everything. I was happy to take a good chunk off my last mile outing, but I can't help feeling I left a few seconds on the track as I settled into a comfortable pace on lap 3 instead of pushing myself towards the red zone. Lessons, lessons lessons! The great thing about a mile though is that it's all over so quickly.

Keep the form man!

wrstan wrote: »
    Great running Gary, and thanks for the compliment, I reckon you're safe for another year, or 5, and then some... :rolleyes:

You're dead on about the sheer buzz of racing - there's always so much to learn from it. And execution can be everything. I was happy to take a good chunk off my last mile outing, but I can't help feeling I left a few seconds on the track as I settled into a comfortable pace on lap 3 instead of pushing myself towards the red zone. Lessons, lessons lessons! The great thing about a mile though is that it's all over so quickly.

Keep the form man!
    Cheers bill. There seems to be many ways to run a mile (or 1500m) race and I think it's worthy of some more study before my next one! I think I ran a faster final lap last year, but the faster more consistent running over the first three laps gave me the PB. So don't kill yourself over your third lap. It may have given you a substantially faster final lap. You said that you ran much of it on your own though, which may have cost you seconds. Perhaps it would have been worth working harder over the first few laps to stay in a pack, even if it meant a slower/tougher finish. So many strategies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Cheers bill. There seems to be many ways to run a mile (or 1500m) race and I think it's worthy of some more study before my next one! I think I ran a faster final lap last year, but the faster more consistent running over the first three laps gave me the PB. So don't kill yourself over your third lap. It may have given you a substantially faster final lap. You said that you ran much of it on your own though, which may have cost you seconds. Perhaps it would have been worth working harder over the first few laps to stay in a pack, even if it meant a slower/tougher finish. So many strategies!

Nice going Gary. For someone like yourself with an strong endurance background, I think an even paced race would give best results. If you could do 1:12 for the first 3 (and a bit) laps you would be well positioned to do more damage to that PB.

dna_leri wrote: »
    Nice going Gary. For someone like yourself with an strong endurance background, I think an even paced race would give best results. If you could do 1:12 for the first 3 (and a bit) laps you would be well positioned to do more damage to that PB.
    Cheers dna_leri. In that scenario that would have put me out in front of the race, on a slightly windy day on a pretty open track. Better to work to your strengths anyway, or tuck into the group for whatever shelter may be available? One thing I definitely have to do is to make a plan for what splits I should be running for each lap. Once again I found myself trying to work out what the correct splits were during the race. Schoolboy error!

Super stuff Gary, doing a mile leg in the road relays myself in a few weeks and would be very happy with a similar split. You've got great natural speed I really think between your speed and obvious endurance you could run a super 3k and 5k this Summer if you put your mind to it.

Today: 5 Hellish miles
    If I had a time machine, I wouldn't go back and kill Hitler. I wouldn't buy shares in Apple. I wouldn't even wind the dial all the way back and watch the creation of the universe. Instead I would permanently erase those 5 recovery miles from my memory. The worst weather I can remember for a long, long, time. I hate treadmills, but I would have snatched at one greedily after the first mile. Horrifically wet, horribly cold, gale-force winds lashing freezing ice-drop at you causing a permanent ice-cream head-ache, while doing loops of a muddy field.

If you haven't done your run today... Find a treadmill. Find an indoor track. Go swimming instead. Hell, go to the pub instead. It's no fun out there.
    Summary: 5 awful miles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Just ran from Blackrock into city centre. Wind at my back, cruising along! The painful bit was waiting 10 minutes outside the O2 for my bus to take me the rest of the way home. HTFU!

Advertisement