Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Gavlor

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think you're a hero - even though you went through halfway under 1:29 ;), I was sensible enough to sit back :pac:

Krusty was bang on! Maybe I should have ran Kildare instead of limerick!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Gary,

I usually manage 7 1/2 to 8 hrs in the bed, but a night of uninterrupted sleep is a real rarity. I often find I lack energy for anything,let alone hard training, hence the question. Funnily enough I usually wake up after 5 or 6 miles.
    How has the recovery gone since London? Any races planned for the summer?

Apart from a long list of schoolboy errors, and a (relatively) poor time, London was great, and the advantage of having a voluntary as distinct to an enforced slowdown over the second half was that recovery was very quick. I managed 38.17 in the Arc 10k - well off my best but faster than I've run for a while, and I managed a nice 10 mile warmdown immediately afterwards.

I'll probably do the race series, just to get out of having to do the water stations, and I have something else up my sleeve - I might even hijack your log (again!) to post about it.

Another important question - what's your current favourite craft beer?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

aero2k wrote: »
    I managed 38.17 in the Arc 10k - well off my best but faster than I've run for a while, and I managed a nice 10 mile warmdown immediately afterwards.
    Another important question - what's your current favourite craft beer?
    That's a cracking 10k, which shows that despite the setbacks, the underlying speed and fitness is ever-present.

I had a couple of celebratory beers after Kildare marathon (which is a little sad, as the only thing I had to celebrate was surviving another encounter with Ultraman). One of the beers I enjoyed was Dungarvan Mahon Falls Rye Pale Ale. It doesn't get a lot of good press on the 'beer' forum here on Boards, but I have to say, I loved it. A fruity hoppy pale ale, with just the mildest of suggestions of rye (or to be honest, none that I could notice), but a fantastic hoppy ale, that I'd be delighted to drink on any Irish summer's day (or winter, as it's known in other parts of the world). At 5.1%, it's not really beer-mile fodder, so the search for the perfect beer-mile staple continues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

im sure u mean frank mcdermott.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

ultraman1 wrote: »

Haha wha ?

• Advertisement

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Haha wha ?

I'm scared of all you northsiders. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

It doesn't get a lot of good press on the 'beer' forum here on Boards, but I have to say, I loved it..

Theres a beer forum :eek:

Is a craft beer lover - current favourite is Innis&Gunn, an Oak aged beer with a rum finish.
    Found it in Oddbins.

Was in Corvallis Oregan recently with work and they have many many many micro breweries. Heaven - if it wasn't such a boring fart of a place :) .

Theres a beer forum :eek:

Is a craft beer lover - current favourite is Innis&Gunn, an Oak aged beer with a rum finish.
    Found it in Oddbins.

Was in Corvallis Oregan recently with work and they have many many many micro breweries. Heaven - if it wasn't such a boring fart of a place :) .

If you found Corvallis boring, then either you didn't bring your running shoes - shame on you - or you didn't dring enough of that good beer!

Oh, I do love a good log hi-jack.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Ahh penny drops (i think) as to aeros ID...........now get back to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Hi Gary,
    Apart from a long list of schoolboy errors, and a (relatively) poor time, London was great, and the advantage of having a voluntary as distinct to an enforced slowdown over the second half was that recovery was very quick.

Didn't realise you had done London Sean, I thought everyone who did went to the Coal hole after.
    Just looking at the time something must have went badly wrong in the second half? You seemed to absolutely fly the first half?

• Advertisement

menoscemo wrote: »
    Didn't realise you had done London Sean, I thought everyone who did went to the Coal hole after.
    I knew about the meet-up, but after spending a while wandering round looking for the Coal Hole (KC and RQ wouldn't take my calls!:(), I found myself at Charing Cross Station and it was just a quick train journey to Lewisham so I took the soft option.
    Just looking at the time something must have went badly wrong in the second half? You seemed to absolutely fly the first half?
    Well the "seemed to absolutely fly the first half" probably explains the "something must have went badly wrong in the second half"!

I had a cracking first 10 miles - 65:10 and probably the easiest I've ever ran. Unfortunately I then realised my sub 2:50 target was wildly ambitious given my curtailed training (35 mpw). I had actually started to leak time and I was outside 7 min/mile by halfway. Feeling a bit light-headed and fearing a DNF I decided to ease off and did a bit of run-walk. I stopped for some first aid - nothing serious and I would have kept going if I was at or near target. The upside was I really enjoyed the crowds and I finished relatively fresh.

Belated congratulations on your cracking run.

If you found Corvallis boring, then either you didn't bring your running shoes - shame on you - or you didn't dring enough of that good beer!

Oh, I do love a good log hi-jack.:D
    Sounds a little like my HQ in Wisconsin. On the surface, it seems like a very quiet little town in the middle of nowhere, but scratch under the surface and there's a huge amount going on (and some incredible micro-breweries). Being North of California, you should be able to get some amazing beers. Look out for Russian River Brewing Company beers. Would swap my left nut for a bottle of pliney the younger.
    I didn't realize Sean was over either unfortunately and because of my ignorance, missed out on the opportunity to give him directions to the coal-hole. I blame RacoonQueen. :)

Well the "seemed to absolutely fly the first half" probably explains the "something must have went badly wrong in the second half"!

Well I figured that first half might have been a bit fast given that we had been close(ish) in 5k races recently.
    Anyway I'll savour the fact that I passed you at some point and managed to stay ahead for once (remember jingle bells ;)). Thats a first and for me (probably a last).

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    I think you're a hero - even though you went through halfway under 1:29 ;), I was sensible enough to sit back :pac:

What's this about you being sensible? You were running beside the other 3 hour pacer;)

Ahh penny drops (i think) as to aeros ID...........now get back to work.
    Just in from a long day at the office - sorry for taking you and your fellow managers seriously on the whole work-life balance thing! Seriously though, how many workplaces can run a 5k race on the premises, during working hours - brilliant.
    Would swap my left nut for a bottle of pliney the younger.
    My ambition is to get my hands on a bottle of Arrogant Ba*tard!
    I didn't realize Sean was over either unfortunately

I entered at the last minute, inspired by the thread. My plan was to:
    1. Find a miracle cure for my injury / biomechanical problem
    2. Train like a demon for 9 months
    3. Turn up heavily concealed behind go-faster sunglasses
    4. Cruise past Krusty et all around mile 2, and give either a friendly wave or a Lance Armstrong glare, depending on how full of drugs I was my mood
    5. Waltz round the pub afterwards, pint of Fullers London Pride in hand, casually holding forth on the day's adventure along the lines of "Sunny? I didn't notice any sun, I was focused"
    I (sort-of) managed one of the above.....

..... I blame RacoonQueen. :)
    A good strategy - it's always her fault!:)

To be fair, I had sworn her to secrecy, lest my rivals got wind and upped their training. Pity I didn't carry out my part of the deal as well as her. RQ, I know you're reading this - how are the bruises today?
    ....Anyway I'll savour the fact that I passed you at some point and managed to stay ahead for once (remember jingle bells ;)). Thats a first and for me (probably a last).
    You and 1022 others, according to Runpix!. It probably won't be the last time either, given that unlike me you're getting faster more quickly than you're getting older. I haven't had a PB since March 2011 - I'll have to put that right soon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Despite the facial bruises I'm still as beautiful as ever. :cool:

I did talk about you to meno and KC in the coal hole, they were hammered though.

I did talk about you to meno and KC in the coal hole, they were hammered though.

Sorry, I must have switched off in the middle of all your moaning ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

What were ye up to? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Mr Slow wrote: »
    What were ye up to? :D

... and why would you switch off in the middle of it, whatever it was :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If it helps jog your memory it was around the time you were telling KC and Pronator how fat I am. :)

• Advertisement

If it helps jog you're memory it was around the time you were telling KC and Pronator how fat I am. :)

:eek: Everybody is fat compared to those two skin-rods.

Right.... Time to steal back my training log from the clutches of the online daters. ;)

Sunday: Kildare marathon - 3 hour pacing
    Having to get up at 6:30am for a spot-of brekkie on a weekend morning brought back fresh memories of recent marathon training runs with Pronator and Neil. This time around, there'd be a slightly bigger group though. Arrived out in Kildare and all regrets were cast aside. Regrets? Yeah, it seemed like such a good idea at the time. I owed ultraman a couple of favours, so why not trek around Kildare for three hours. Then the reality hits, and you realize that you have to run 26 miles at around 6:50/mile on a cold wet blustery winter's morning and if you fnck it up, a lot of people will never forgive you. But the somber mood is only momentary, as you meet up with all of the other pacers and lots of old friends (emphasis on 'friends' rather than 'old). I was a little slow leaving the pacing arena, so by the time I got the start and ran a few strides, I had to leg it to the front of the corral, with mere seconds to go before we were off.

0-5 miles: Miserable pi$$y weather, but the group was in good form, as the first few miles were slightly downhill and the pace had not yet become challenging. Usual introductions, joking around trying to keep the mood light. We have the two leading ladies in our group. Former Olympian Pauline Curley (who ran 2:51 on the course last year) and another young lady hoping to break 3 hours, having missed out on London due to injury (PB: 3:08). I predicted a 2:55 for Pauline, as she had set out at a significantly faster pace last year. We had around 20 runners in our group, including such luminaries as Beepbeep (who looked extremely chilled) and a couple of nice lads from Tallaght, who were shooting to break three hours for the first time. One or two early heavy breathers drifted off the pace. After 4-5 downhill miles we were a good chunk ahead of target, but it was difficult to reign in the group, until Pronator stopped for the first of many bathroom breaks, and everyone breathed a sigh of relief. ;)

6-10 miles: Still making good progress (around 25 seconds ahead of our 2:59:00 target) as we hit the first minor climb with a bit of headwind on a bridge over the motorway. 11-15 miles: Over the hills up to the half way point, we lose a number of runners as the wind and hills take their toll. Unfortunately those that were a little optimistic about their goals find this stretch very tough. The group has been halved. Pauline Curley has forged ahead, and like a Pied Piper, 4-5 runners take after her on the tough hills, little realizing that she's headed for a 2:55 finish and a 4 minute negative split that kills off most of them. I stay with the two lads from tallaght, with Pronator, beepbeep and another couple of runners just 100m behind. Half-way split: 1:29:09.

15-20 miles: We're now around 10 seconds ahead of target, giving up a few seconds here and there on the winder or hillier sections. The group has now mostly consolidated, and there are now around 7 runners (including the two pacers). I take a gel, as I want to make sure that I don't run out of steam over the course of the remaining 10k. Beebeep is still looking very chilled and there's no doubt he's going to finish strong today.

20-26 miles: I drop back to try and encourage a runner who has dropped off the pace. I try to shepherd him back into the group, but it's just too much effort for him. It must be very disheartening to lose touch with the pace group. It's frustrating not being able to help in some way. You want to take them by the hand and start pulling them forward (but then you realize that you'd never be able to return to your training log again for all the slagging). The group is just 50-60m ahead, but entirely out of reach. Regretfully, I gradually make my way back into the group again. Eventually, we catch one of the Tallaght lads who had moved slightly ahead. He's still going strong. We can see the stadium back at the Curragh. That's all the encouragement Beepbeep needs to start forging for home, with Tallaght lad not far behind.

We pass a couple of the runners who had opted to chase after Pauline Curley. They're suffering now, but some will still go on to hit their goals. Now there's just me and Pronator. It's peaceful and quiet on the road back to the Curragh, like an early morning training run. The silence is broken by the leading 10k runners, including our club-mate Neil. Up ahead, Pronator spots Abhainn, running alongside BeepBeep. Unusual to see 5 of us running towards the finish line, while participating in three different races (with the three racing lads taking an impressive 3rd, 4th and 9th positions in their respective races). I was hoping to avoid the MC-lady at the finish line and just creep over the line, but there was little chance of that, as Marthastew had alerted everyone within a 5 mile radius that were were finishing, with a credible impression of a 10 person cheer-leading squad. After a few cringe-worthy questions (thankfully not televised this time) I managed to slink away to the peace and sandwiches of the jockey room.

Summary: 26.2 miles in 2:58:55

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

and deres me thinkin we were bff's....fee;l like the cable guy now...:)

and deres me thinkin we were bff's....fee;l like the cable guy now...:)
    Can you get me free cable? :)

Monday: 1 hour rock climbing
    Legs were in bits (strangely far more sore than the day after running Donadea 50k, which was a good chunk faster), so I took another running rest day. I have now had more non-running days this year, than I did all of last year. I could barely manage the stairs, so I'm not sure why I thought rock climbing would be a good idea, but everything seemed to loosen out a little with a bit of climbing.

Tuesday: 6 mile grass recovery run @8:27/mile

Wednesday: 6.5 miles recovery + 5 miles easy
    Legs returning to normal so after an easy 6.5 mile lunch run (@7:43/mile), I headed back to the park in the evening for some quicker miles to top up the endorphin levels (@7:03/mile).

Thursday: 10 miles steady - Nice undulating hilly loop at a steady pace (6:50/mile)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I have now had more non-running days this year, than I did all of last year.

:confused: Thought you got off to a shaky start last year with injury/sickness.

Still, an interesting stat on the basis of your London performance.

Peckham wrote: »
    :confused: Thought you got off to a shaky start last year with injury/sickness.
    That was actually this year. My first non-running day last year, was the day after Boston marathon.

Today: 10 recovery miles
    A few too many beers last night (on a school night too!) and I lost all enthusiasm for running today. Finally mustered some energy after work and headed off with the plan of an easy run home. Between the backpack full of work gear and the post-beer dehydration, it would've been a good MDS training session. After a couple of miles I figured I'd tick off all of the days mileage instead of heading out twice, so detoured down to the sea and into Shanganagh for a few loops. Not the greatest of runs, but glad to have mustered the energy.
    Summary: 10 miles in 74 mins, @7:28/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

, but it was difficult to reign in the group

All hail King Krusty :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

2 questions:

1) When are you running the 400m?

2) What sort of specific training have you got in mind for the beer mile mid June? I assume you are building a base right now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

A week to go. Wrap yourself in cotton wool time. ;)

Advertisement