Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pgmcpq wrote: »
    All hail King Krusty :)
    I meant reign as in...... Never mind.. :)
    1) When are you running the 400m?

2) What sort of specific training have you got in mind for the beer mile mid June? I assume you are building a base right now?
    Hope to give it a shot at the next graded meets (meet 3). Of course I've done no specific training. Any thoughts on a few sessions? Think it would be worth hitting the track for some 200s at target pace? At least I'll have the spikes this time around.

I'm all about the Wicklow Way relay at the moment. Best race in the calendar! Dreading it already. Scariest race in the calendar too. As to the beer mile, I reckon I'm still in shape to run a sub 5 minute mile, but I haven't chugged a drink in 20 years. I envisage being a quivering heaving mess after 800m. I reckon it'll be the first race I ever DNF!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Monday: 1 hour rock climbing
    Legs were in bits (strangely far more sore than the day after running Donadea 50k, which was a good chunk faster), so I took another running rest day. I have now had more non-running days this year, than I did all of last year. I could barely manage the stairs,

Impact of running in the fat burning zone? Approx MP + 1min.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

I meant reign as in...... Never mind.. :)

Hope to give it a shot at the next graded meets (meet 3). Of course I've done no specific training. Any thoughts on a few sessions? Think it would be worth hitting the track for some 200s at target pace? At least I'll have the spikes this time around.

I'm all about the Wicklow Way relay at the moment. Best race in the calendar! Dreading it already. Scariest race in the calendar too. As to the beer mile, I reckon I'm still in shape to run a sub 5 minute mile, but I haven't chugged a drink in 20 years. I envisage being a quivering heaving mess after 800m. I reckon it'll be the first race I ever DNF!

I'd recommend a couple of specific sessions but as you haven't been doing that sort of stuff you'd be better off easing into it rather than going gung-ho all out.

Maybe do 3x200m in 30-32 seconds with 4 minutes recovery to ease into it. Then the next session could be 3x300m in 45-46 seconds with 5 minute recoveries.

I wouldn't worry about the beer mile. As long as you pace yourself in both drinking and running (being a sub 5 miler is irrelevant for your first beer mile, you just want to finish), get a small bit of practice with the skulling beforehand, you will find that by beer 3 you will be catching those eejits who went out with a 65 second first lap. Think of the running part as a swift jog and you will get through it without spewing.

This is a race report I really want to read! :D

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Impact of running in the fat burning zone? Approx MP + 1min.
    6:50 is MP + 1 min? I wish! No, just because I've run two marathons in three weeks and fit in a good bit of hill running in between. I always promise myself that I'll take a week off after every marathon, but I only ever last two days. I really enjoy running (not just racing) so it creeps back in after 48 hours. Also I'm an addict. :o

Yesterday: 6 miles easy with strides
    I really have not been feeling well the last few days. Haven't been getting any sleep and Thursday night's hangover isn't out of the bloodstream. Just a case of over-doing everything (running, drinking, being awake). So headed to the park with the idea of doing some strides, just in case I was in any fit state to run the 5 mile in Terenure on Sunday. I hadn't signed up for it, but was keeping an open mind, as I wanted to get some quality done this week. 2 miles very easy and then slotted in the strides, starting with 5 x 80 strides, 2 x 120 strides, and 1 x 160 strides.

Today: Terenure Sportsworld 5 mile
    Another really crappy night's sleep (around 3-4 hours) and when the alarm went off, I felt very unwell; completely exhausted to the point of slight nausea. I had paid my €20 though (I registered around 30 minutes before reg closed yesterday) so figured that if Pronator (who was also very much in doubt about making the race) arrived at the door to give me a lift, I'd go. Otherwise I'd give it a miss and have an easy run in the hills. I was really, really hoping that Pronator would text me and cancel, but by 9am, I knew the game was up and packed up my stuff. I got a lift with Pre and Pronator (great to see Pre back on his feet again) and we went for an easy 2.5 mile run on the grass after picking up our numbers. I felt like I was struggling and when I looked at my watch and saw 7:51/mile, I knew I was not well, and I needed a different game plan for the race. No point in pressurizing yourself when you feel rotten, so I turned the Garmin to show miles only and twisted it around my wrist so I wouldn't be tempted to take a sneaky peek. I figured the best thing to do was run by feel, enjoy the race and just get a good tempo session out of it.

I started the watch with the starting horn, and that was my last interaction with the watch until I crossed the finish line. A bit of a slow start for me, as I had started back a good bit (the guy I chatted to before the race was aiming for sub 40), and within 1/3rd of a mile, I caught the sub-40 guy. A nice long straight and I was milling past loads of runners and just settling into my stride. Eventually I caught the back of the club runners section. Had no idea what pace I was running, but it felt like around 5:30 (actual 5:33). For the next few miles, I just cruised, passing runner after runner after runner (mile 2: 5:39, mile 3:5:41). Eventually I caught up with the leading women (well, except for Maria MacCambridge!) and pushed on. By mile 4, I finally started to feel comfortable (think it takes me 3-4 miles in a race until I warm-up properly) and was still picking of group after group (mile 4: 5:26).

By mile 5, there weren't many runners ahead as the gaps had really opened up, but I spotted on of the lads I had raced recently in Marlay Park run, who was running alongside another lad. I caught them with around .6 of a mile to go and settled in to catch my breath. The sun had broken through the clouds and with it, came thousands of flies. At 5:30'ish/mile, it's hard to avoid the feckers, and I swallowed three, spat out two, and got a couple in my eyes. Eugh... I pushed on past the lads and caught a Clonliffe runner, with 1/2 mile to go. After a short while, I pushed on passed him as well. I didn't want any of the three lads to pass me (they were getting a good bit of encouragement around the course) but at the same time, I just didn't feel fresh or strong enough for a really good finish, so I just picked up the pace a little (enough to hold the other runners off).

I passed the start line and one of the marshalls was good enough to let me know that it was another 200m to the finish line and I couldn't hear any of the lads behind me (no way I was looking back!). As I rounded the corner, I saw the clock for the first time, showing around 27:40 with around 100m to go. I picked up the pace, just to make sure that I got in under the 28 minute mark and crossed the line with an official time of 27:54 for 25th place.

Not my best race ever (and 20 seconds off of my PB from last year) but the way I was feeling before the race, it was as good a result as I could have hoped for. I felt pretty comfortable throughout and got the decent tempo session I was looking for and for the first time since I got my Garmin, ran entirely by feel (and lived to tell the tale!). Pronator ran a very solid low 27 min time, so seems all set to do some damage over the summer. For me, it's time to cut back on the drinking, get more sleep and start to feel healthy and fast again. The break is over.

Summary: 5 miles in 27:54, @5:35/mile

Yesterday: rock climbing

Thankfully no residual affects from the race (proving that I was a lazy git). Rock-climbing on the other hand... Don't read this Slogger-Jogger:
    Whacked my knee off of a protruding rock, and after a few minutes of effin and blinding, tried another climb and landed hard, feeling a jarring in my knee. Then realized I couldn't walk properly or bend my knee, and packed it in. Spent the evening alternating between ice, compression and anti-inflammatories.
    . Thankfully, woke thing morning and it was flexing fine.

Today: 5.5 + 5.5
    Recovery lunch run - glad to see that the knee was working as normal, so was happy to stick with some loops around the local field. Recovery pace turned out to be 7:17/mile (HR=134), so on the mend. Followed up with an easy run home, with bag that weighed a half-stone on my back (weighed it when I got home). Coincidentally the same amount of weight that I shed in the last 6 weeks before the marathon. Really brings it home, just how much extra effort is required to carry the extra weight. 5.5 miles @7:25/mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Recovery pace turned out to be 7:17/mile (HR=134).

KC - do you always do training runs with a HRM? How often do you check resting heart rate? Do you train by pace or HR - or does 1 dictate the other??

I'm interested in picking up little titbits of advice as I currently own, but dont use a HRM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

KC - do you always do training runs with a HRM? How often do you check resting heart rate? Do you train by pace or HR - or does 1 dictate the other??

I'm interested in picking up little titbits of advice as I currently own, but dont use a HRM.

And if I could tag on here just a query about calculating my Max HR. What is the best way of establishing it apart from a test. I have date from recent races as well as hill intervals in the last week. Would one of thes be relative as a % of max HR?

Races were over 5K, 10K & HM and hill intervals were a club session.

No, I don't always train with a HRM. In fact I had to dust it off for my last marathon training cycle, and replace the battery. I haven't used it consistently since then either, but find it handy to wear during races or training sessions (rather than general aerobic runs) to see where my fitness levels are. I wore it yesterday, as I've been very tired over the last 4-5 days and wanted to make sure there weren't signs that I was doing some damage (e.g. if my HR had been very low or very high). I don't use it for looking at a specific run, but rather comparing one run to another, or looking at a general trend. I never look at it during training or racing. I don't train by HR and mostly (except for sessions) don't train by pace either. I wear my Garmin for most runs, but usually only have distance (or time; but not both!) showing on the watch. On easy/aerobic runs, I have found that looking at pace numbers is counter-productive.

As for resting HR: I was checking it regularly during marathon training, particularly with a view to looking for signs of over-training or ill-health. I'd check it in the morning or in the afternoon, every couple of days. I don't use a Garmin for this (because it's sh1te!), but rather the 'Instant Heart Rate' app (Android/iPhone) which I find gives very accurate results (sitting at my desk I'm currently 47bpm).
    pistol_75 wrote:
    And if I could tag on here just a query about calculating my Max HR. What is the best way of establishing it apart from a test. I have date from recent races as well as hill intervals in the last week. Would one of thes be relative as a % of max HR?

Races were over 5K, 10K & HM and hill intervals were a club session.
    I'll be honest, I don't even know what my max HR is. Looking at recent races, I have maxed out at 172bpm (Ballycotton), 170bpm (Marlay Parkrun), and 171bpm (London marathon) so I'd estimate that my max is around 3-4 bpms higher than these values (around 175bpm), as none of these races would have been ideal to reach my max heart rate. As for relevance, I just can't see anyone hitting near max HR in a club session, so it would really depend on how much you put into your 5k, 10k and half marathon races. I would guess that the idea race to get close to your max HR would be somewhere between 3k and 5k (or any relay race, where the weight of expectation will force you to push just that little bit harder!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭Beef

Thanks for the tip as regards the heart rate monitor app - it's brilliant! I've been meaning to take my heart rate in the mornings but can't be arsed when it comes to it, and I'm hopping up late for work etc...
    When the alarm goes off in the morning I'll have no excuse! These training logs are endlessly helpful. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I'll keep that spoiler to read after Saturday ;)

Gentle run or nothing at all on Thurs and Fri. Theres a couple of spots I can meet your path on leg 7 so we can work out refueling etc.

You'll have serious competition on leg 7 from the adventure racers. I expect Tim ODonoghue to mark up the fastest time of the day. Seriously good time by him in Ballycotton earlier this year and he's a dervish on the hills. Nice chap too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I'll keep that spoiler to read after Saturday ;)

You're way to easy on him SJ. As his former captain, let me tell you he only understands the stick, and even then he's fairly useless. Plant a couple of beers at the top of the hills, that might work. Eat the head off him at the bottom of the hills, and point at your watch like its Fergie time, you might squeeze a few extra seconds for the team. I don't envy you though, every team has a weak link...

Go'wan de After 8's:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Yesterday:Followed up with an easy run home, with bag that weighed a half-stone on my back (weighed it when I got home). Coincidentally the same amount of weight that I shed in the last 6 weeks before the marathon. Really brings it home, just how much extra effort is required to carry the extra weight. 5.5 miles @7:25/mile.

Interesting point, i have gone the other way and put on the same weight as you describe, about a half stone. I can really feel it at the moment with my running (helping my swimming & cycling though:)). I am running like a mule with poor form and much slower than usual. Need to leave the pies alone.

Interesting point, i have gone the other way and put on the same weight as you describe, about a half stone. I can really feel it at the moment with my running (helping my swimming & cycling though:)). I am running like a mule with poor form and much slower than usual. Need to leave the pies alone.
    Isn't cycling a weight-sensitive sport too? I know the laws of physics suggest that momentum is a product of speed and mass, so velocity must be momentum divided by mass, so the greater the mass, the less the velocity? I suppose the weight helps on the downhills and hinders on the uphills. Maybe stick to the downhill only races? :) The way you train, you'd lose a half stone in a blink of an eye. The pies are just fuel for training!

Interesting observation, as a fatty I notice the excess lard is a barrier to Running>Biking>Swimming in that order, on flat courses. I get dropped like an ugly sister going up hilly bikes though. Maybe the running effort of propelling fat up and down while jogging (as opposed to keeping it relatively stable on a flat bike) has a cumulative adverse effect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Isn't cycling a weight-sensitive sport too? I know the laws of physics suggest that momentum is a product of speed and mass, so velocity must be momentum divided by mass, so the greater the mass, the less the velocity? I suppose the weight helps on the downhills and hinders on the uphills. Maybe stick to the downhill only races? :) The way you train, you'd lose a half stone in a blink of an eye. The pies are just fuel for training!

It is when climbing although i would still have a high watts per kg ratio going up climbs. In terms of absolute power the 3 extra kgs i am carrying can make a difference. Think of time trials on flat roads or slightly rolling, i can put down more power.
    There is a point at which if i am too light i find it impacts me on the bike (although fine for climbing). 66-67kg seems to be an ideal number for me to still be decent enough on the bike and be running without the feeling of carrying a small child on my back, not like now running at 70kg:o.
    I read somewhere that you can add on a few seconds per km over a marathon for each 1kg you are overweight. If my only focus was on running i really should be down to around 64-65kg. Hopefully i will have a good solid 14 weeks after Frankfurt for a crack at DCM. Either that or get my weight down to 40kg and smash the WR using the principle above:)
    BTW my training compared to pie consumption is off kilter, you can guess which way.:rolleyes:

I read somewhere that you can add on a few seconds per km over a marathon for each 1kg you are overweight.
    Interesting (just interesting, not scientific!) site, which looks at the impact of weight on running: Running for fitness. It suggests that based on my recent marathon time (and weight) every kilogram is worth about 2 minutes over the course of a marathon. Of course this presupposes that there is no other impact of this weight loss (e.g. this is based on the unrealistic assertion that nothing else would change, i.e. you 'magically' lost the weight). Based on your current weight/goal, each kg is worth around 2 mins 10 seconds. I'm about 70kgs at the moment too.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I don't envy you though, every team has a weak link...
    Jaysus, I'm getting tired of being the weak link. Just for once, I'd settle for being an average link. Are you doing a leg this year Paul? Will we finally get that pint in the Dying Cow?

Yesterday: 5 recovery + 5 easy
    Easy recovery run with Chickenballs around the local field. Somebody had scattered a number of 7" vinyl singles around the field (if you don't know what that is, then I'm old enough to be your father), so I amused myself by picking one up on each lap, and having a quick read, before flinging them Shaun of the dead style into the distance. Speaking of fathers, my son officially finished school yesterday, so after attending his graduation, the only way I could claw back some small pretense of youth, was to go out afterwards and run an easy 5 miles out to Bray and back. It didn't work. I woke up this morning feeling stiffer and older than ever.

Summary: 5 miles @~7:50 + 5 miles @~7:15

Are you doing a leg this year Paul? Will we finally get that pint in the Dying Cow?

This is the year for the Dying Cow pint, we will make it happen! I'm doing leg 8 (torturously running right by the door of that very pub!), but will walk/stroll/jog back with you from the end to have a pint there if you like. Or you could jog there after your leg and be nicely settled to slag me as I pass later with several thirsty km's to go;) Are you staying over? There's a good few camping in Shillelagh afterwards, I was considering this. Although there's a bed at my gaff if you wanted too.

But they're just options, for now its eyes on the main prize, that pint in the cow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

Interesting (just interesting, not scientific!) site, which looks at the impact of weight on running: Running for fitness. It suggests that based on my recent marathon time (and weight) every kilogram is worth about 2 minutes over the course of a marathon. Of course this presupposes that there is no other impact of this weight loss (e.g. this is based on the unrealistic assertion that nothing else would change, i.e. you 'magically' lost the weight). Based on your current weight/goal, each kg is worth around 2 mins 10 seconds. I'm about 70kgs at the moment too.

Similar website here: http://fellrnr.com/wiki/VDOT_Calculator

Plug in recent race & time, current weight, (+ optional to include max training distance).

It'll throw you out a lot of training paces based on Daniels & FIRST.
    Daniel Quality Workout 1 in detail based on your VDOT & max mileage.

+ it'll give you weight adjusted times for each race distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    You're way to easy on him SJ. As his former captain, let me tell you he only understands the stick, and even then he's fairly useless. Plant a couple of beers at the top of the hills, that might work. Eat the head off him at the bottom of the hills, and point at your watch like its Fergie time, you might squeeze a few extra seconds for the team. I don't envy you though, every team has a weak link...

Go'wan de After 8's:)

I was getting a bit of physio last night and the Lady was telling me she was doing the relay at the weekend. I asked her was she running for her club and she told me her team name was the After 8's.

Was surprised to see it again this morning :)

Good luck with the race the weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Congrats on winning Bray Runner's Athlete of the Year ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Congrats on winning Bray Runner's Athlete of the Year ;)
    Really? Shocked. :eek:
    Jaysus, if I'd known that, I might have run slower in the WW relay, so I'd be in a fit state to attend. Instead I spent the evening on the sofa with a blistering headache. Wow. First award since I was presented with a book for reading Jonathan Livingston Seagull, almost 32 years ago. Chuffed to bits.

Wednesday: 6 mile recovery run + 1 hour squash
    Followed up a very easy 6 mile recovery run (which was bliss) with an hour of squash (which was hell!). I only ever played squash once before, so the eccentric movements were probably not a good idea just a few days before the WW relay, but I'd committed to playing 4/5 months ago, so there was no backing out. The running wasn't a problem (I could run around the squash court all day) but the sudden sharp changes in direction, jumping/crouching, accelerating/sudden stops and losing (9-0,9-0, 9-2, 9-4) didn't help. I think I'm built for running in straight lines. Still, but for the pain in my glutes, it was something very different and a bit of a laugh (largely at my expense).
    Summary: 6 miles @7:52

Thursday: Easy miles + 200s + 1/2 beer mile
    After a couple of easy miles, met up with KielyUnusual at the track in Kilbogget, with the plan of running some short fast repeats that would help loosen up the legs, and a beer mile practice, that would loosen up the stomach. We started with 3x200m (31, 31, 34) with full recovery (stretching to 8-10 mins, as we chatted away). The 200s were very tough, particularly on my squash-pained legs, but a tough head-wind for two of the reps didn't help the cause. KU led out the first one and I struggle to keep up with him, finishing about 1 second down. I led out the second (wind behind us) and he drew level and could have passed easily. He led out the third, and the gap between us widened. Whatever about my chances of running a sub-60, Ku is in with a really good shot of running a solid 400, despite not having done anything of the sort before. There are definitely gains to be made (race environment, other competitors, spikes, blocks, proper track, no cinder) but it's still going to be a hell of a challenge.

Beer half mile: We hung around waiting for the occasional jogger and kids to disperse, before saying 'feck it' and pulling out the bottles (poison of the day were 330ml bottles of Coors (yum!)). Fortunately I had the foresight to bring my own bottle opener. We started the watch, cracked open the bottles and.... drank slowly.... It was as bad as I feared. Had to drink it in 3/4 gulps. I dropped the bottle and had a few seconds lead on KU. Legs were tired after the 200s, so I just pottered around the track and KU wasn't long catching me. Cracked open another bottle, and had the same 3/4 gulps, before starting the next lap. Managed to squeeze out the excess gas over the first 1/4 of the lap (which seems like an important strategy point) and pottered around the lap again, with KU catching me as I neared the finish. The half-mile took around 4:10 and was a little easier than expected. I suspect that the real difficulty kicks in between laps three and four, but that's as much practice as I'll get before the big day. It was really only on our easy jog back towards Bray that the alcohol buzz had a chance to catch up. So yep, some irresponsible running and drinking, but a bit of fun and a much needed timeout, with the pressure of the relay race building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Ha ha super stuff KC. Congrats on the award. 4.10 for 800 so I guess a sub 8 would be a super time on the day considering you'll have tapered ;) etc. was hoping for sub 8 myself but it's much tougher than it sounds. I'm actually worried about a DNF. That's why I've bought a fancy dress costume, should keep deflect some of the attention if I have a nightmare ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

It was a good learning experience on Thursday. We're well matched on the running front so I'll have to catch up on the drinking front if I'm to be competitive. Cans over bottle might be worth a half minute on the day. Sub 8 would be a great achievement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

TRR wrote: »
    Ha ha super stuff KC. Congrats on the award. 4.10 for 800 so I guess a sub 8 would be a super time on the day considering you'll have tapered ;) etc. was hoping for sub 8 myself but it's much tougher than it sounds. I'm actually worried about a DNF. That's why I've bought a fancy dress costume, should keep deflect some of the attention if I have a nightmare ;)

I did a beer 800 (well an 809) in training in 3:50 and come the big day I ran 8:19. As Josh Harris says, the 3rd beer is what separates the pussies from the men! :D

Friday: 4 mile recovery run
    I tend to forget how important rest is before a race and do stupid things like 6-10 miles the previous day, but with the pressure of being a member of a point to point relay team, I didn't want to risk anything, so stuck with an easy 4 miles on the grass in the park after work. Just enough running to keep the brain-worms at bay.
    Summary: 4 miles @7:55

Saturday: Wicklow Way Relay - Leg 7
    Three months of committed marathon training and you arrive at the big day with pent-up nerves and a chunk of aggression, ready to put everything on the line and battle it out, physically and mentally for the next 2-3 hours. But, it has nothing, absolutely nothing, on the pressure and stress leading up to running a leg of the Wicklow Way relay. It was during a very weak moment, just hours after finishing London marathon, and battling with perhaps my 5th pint of the afternoon, that I got the nod. 'Great news for you', Pronator informed me. 'Mick wants to know if you'll run a leg of the Wicklow Way relay?'. I'd finally made it to the big time. I couldn't help but feel that London Marathon had been my qualification, and thankfully I'd passed with flying colours. It was only in the cold light of dawn (a hungover dawn) that I realized exactly what I had signed myself up for. A few days later, I got a mail from Mick; the choices were: Leg 5 or Leg 7. I had raced Leg 7 two years ago (finishing in 6th place in 1:32) and knew it well, having recc'ed it with Kurt, Slogger, and jb-ski in the past. Still, the boss ordered another recce' and I was glad I did, as there were a number of spots where I had to slow to choose the correct path.

Move forward a couple of weeks and it was race day. I was far more nervous than I had been for any other race in the last two years (since I last participated in the WWR). Looking at the list of names in the team, you can't help but wonder: Am I worthy? Can I do the team justice? Am I the weak-link (thanks Kurt!). Will I get lost? The nerves only got exacerbated during my breakfast, when I realized that the race had already started. Soon afterwards there was a text to say that after two legs we were in second place. Sh1te. Dial the nerves up to 11.

I had recruited Emer to drive me out there and pick me up at the end of the leg, and we picked up Mithril on our journey too, and were out there in no time. It's really tense out in Ironbridge as there is no mobile phone coverage, so you literally have no idea where your team is placed, when you expect to start, or how close you are to pursuing teams. You want to go for a warm-up, but you're not sure if you can stray away from the start area. Need a pee? Better do it quick, in the bushes nearest the car-park. At least we had a good idea that there wouldn't be any action until Raheny and Rathfarnham had gone through. All other positions were up for grabs. Eventually, Raheny handed over, in a blur of green and white, and were soon being pursued by Rathfarnham. Emer took the opportunity to give me a pep-talk, which was along the lines of 'If you're not at the finish line in 90 minutes, you can find your own bleedin' way home' and then I was out waiting for Warren. SJ, our team captain joined us, and seemed to delight in pointing out the other leg 7 competitors, including the 4th place Ballycotton finisher, selection of 70 minute half marathoners and various hill-runners of much-repute. At this stage, I was completely at ease (of the ill variety). A runner came through for the TT Racers, and soon after I saw Warren in his promised Blue and yellow singlet. No battons, just a touching of hands (yes, yes, we've had that joke already!) and I was off up the hill at breakneck speed, which lasted all of 2 minutes, until I rounded the corner and was out of sight. A glance at the watch and I was averaging 5:30/mile, which couldn't last as soon as the climbing started.

The first hill is a 220m bruiser that feels unrelenting, but having run the leg a number of times, I knew the hill climb kept going to the 2.5 mile mark. It was just a case of easing back and making steady progress up the hill. With around a 1/2 mile to go though, I started to develop some chest pain in my right side. Thankfully it was no more than a stitch, but it was the same stitch that had slammed me to a halt, just 150m from the finish line in the Frank Duffy 10 mile race some years ago, that saw me crossing the line in 60:02, just two seconds outside of my target. This time was no different, and when I should have been accelerating over the brow of the hill I found myself ground to a halt. I'm not sure how long I spent kneading underneath the rib-cage (looking at the Garmin, somewhere between 20 and 40 seconds) but I knew I couldn't move another step until the pain started to recede. Eventually, there were signs of it lessening, and I had no choice but to push on. Every second was one gained by the team behind and lost on the team ahead. I just hoped the different stride pattern of the downhill would somehow loosen it out.

The next 2.5 miles are downhill, and this was where I had planned to use some of that marathon training to gain some ground. Thankfully, as the pace picked up, the stitch receded and soon I was running 5:3x miles on the fire-road and eventually the homely comfort of the tarmac road. SJ and Emer were waiting just outside the exit to the forest with a bottle of water in hand and I grabbed it greedily, having sweated a huge amount on the 2.5 mile climb under the glaring sunshine. Another half mile of tough uphill, before you finally see the landmark of the small bothrin, which marks the drop of almost 100m, down a rocky technical path. Last time I'd run with Kurt here, he had left me for dust down this path, so I tried to replicate some of his reckless abandon, without risking turning on an ankle. The Garmin says it was around 5:30/mile, but still it felt slow, and I wished I could push harder.

A brief drop into the basin of a valley is followed by yet another climb (this time just 30m, but in the hot midday sun at race pace, feels like another 100m climb), before I'm greeted by the bungalow that signals that I should take the left fork and the steep downhill. It's frustrating. Here, on a downhill, with 8 miles done, this is where I should be able to make a difference, but there is little payoff from the marathon training. I'm winding my way down small roads that don't exist on any map trying to scramble to get just a few seconds faster on the downhill, but between the gravel and twists and turns in the road it's just too difficult to maintain a steady 10k pace and I am having to work very hard.

Finally, the bit I've been dreading. I see Emer up ahead at the river crossing, at the start of the final climb. She hands me a bottle of water and tells me that the runner is just a minute ahead of me. I guiltily wonder is she's lying to me, to get me to work harder. I head up the laneway and start climbing. I remember this climb from two years ago when Asimonov dragged me up the hill kicking and screaming. This time, there is no Asimonov... Just the promise of a phantom runner to chase, and the fear of hearing chasing foot-steps behind me.

Eventually, I'm at the top of the lane-way and I clamber over the first of many obstructions; this time a ladder. There's a large open area of farmland, and there 150m ahead of me, I see a runner in white making his way up the hill. I'm buoyed by this sighting, but fail to realize that 150m up a steep hill is not the same thing as 150m on a flat road. I'm chasing, but he's just not getting any closer. Eventually, he disappears among the various climbs and bushes and I'm chasing phantoms again. Technically, I'm still running, but in reality I'm putting one foot in front of the other slightly faster than a walk. I really want to walk up the rest of the hill, in that familiar hands on knees way, but I know that it is giving in, and once it starts it is very difficult to stop, so I keep pushing on. I'm literally dying on my feet. My engine is overheating. What's left of the water bottle is poured down the back of my neck, but seems to just run-off with little effect. I climb over more gates and style (each providing a momentary relief from the climb, but sucking valuable seconds from my time) and eventually the ground starts to level out.

I start hurtling downhill, recovering quickly, but remembering that the drop is only brief as another climb awaits. I make it over the second small hill and spy two runners ahead. I'm over the moon. Two runners to chase! White runner has opened a gap though so I need to speed up. I catch the second runner but am confused. He's not familiar. He wasn't at the changeover point. He must be one of the crazy ultra runners. I try to pass him on the narrow stony tricky stretch, and pass on my best wishes for his brave folly, but he's confused; Doesn't know why I would be wishing him well. I figure I may be wrong. Perhaps he was there to help a team-mate by opening the gates further along the course. I really hope so.

I arrive at the first of the gates. It's unlocked, but closed. I have to stop, figure out how to open the gate and push on. Same thing, again and again. Each gate has been unlocked, but closed. It's really frustrating. If they were open, I could push through and shave time off. If they were locked, I could simply climb them, but instead, I have to stop at each one, figure out how it opens and make my way past. The break in rhythm is soul destroying. Ultimately, I get past the gates and am out on the road. I cross the river, hurling silent abuse at those who endeavored to move the finish point a kilometer further away up a hill, and really struggle over the remaining climb, until I encounter Emer. She paces me for 50m, until I can see the finish line and Asimonov waiting. I push on and tag him, before stopping the watch. The pain is over.

I had hoped to break 1:28, which would be a respectable enough time for a road-runner, pretending for the day to be a hill runner and figured I could do it the gates had been open (as they had two years previous). I actually finished in 1:28:44, which was worth 4th place out of the 35 runners, which I'm ok with, as I was largely beaten by far superior runners. My only real disappointment came today, looking at the results, where I lost nearly 40 seconds to the third-place runner (the runner in white). I can't understand how that happened and I'll beat myself up for another while, until I figure it out.

Anyway, it was great to be a part of such a strong team, that was pipped to a podium by three of the country's most formidable athletics clubs and runners, and I was dead proud to be a part of Slogger Jogger's gypsy crew, The After 8's. Immediately afterwards, I swore blindly I'd never race another leg of the Wicklow Way Relay, but as soon as the dust had settled, and I stood outside in the sunshine, sipping on some pints with some good people, and recounting the tales of the day, I realized that it's just an extraordinary event, and one that I want to be a part of, as long as I can. There is no race quite like it; no situation where every runner is quite as willing to put everything on the line, for a team who may never all meet, united by a single common link; our team captain. As I lay on my sofa later that evening, with a pounding headache, I couldn't help but feel that the relay got the better of me this year; that I should be better up those hills; should be faster on the descents; should be.... a hill runner... Damn you relay... Damn you..

Summary: 13.x miles in 1:28:43, @6:49/mile

• Advertisement

Bravo KC. I feel guilty reading that for feeling I put you guys under pressure. The text reply from Ian came back a bit quick from London alright! Looking at the results I think you should feel rightly proud of your result. 4th out of 35 with no out and out hill running training is fantastic! It really is a magical event. The urge you felt to get yourself moving, the kickstart you gave yourself to start running after the bloody gates... those where the very vital seconds that allowed Asimonov to close the gap on his runner on leg 8. Its all connected and its wonderful. Thanks for being part of a great team.

8858610171_a64ee735b1_b.jpg

Advertisement