Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

pa4 wrote: »
    Not far to go so, looking at your training you seem well prepared, you're getting some good quality mileage in the legs! Will you be going for a PB?
    That's the plan anyway. I'm not seeing any strong indicators of a significant improvement so far, but I still have 600 miles to go between now and race day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

That's the plan anyway. I'm not seeing any strong indicators of a significant improvement so far, but I still have 600 miles to go between now and race day!

Well you ran sub 2:40 earlier in the year so I reckon you could at least produce a repeat of that and as you said, plenty of more miles to go! Best of luck with it anyway :)

Sunday: 5 Mile recovery run + Climbing
    Simple five mile recovery run on the grass, just to top the weekly mileage up to the 100 mile mark. Feels very strange to run only 5 miles on a Sunday. You realize just how much commitment marathon training takes, when suddenly you find you have a load of time that you don't normally have (so watched some TV!). Followed up with three hours of lead rope climbing. Loving the lead rope climbing. It's a real buzz (and a little bit scary).

Monday: 7.5 mile recovery + 8 miles Easy
    Easy recovery run at lunch-time, largely sticking to the grass where it was available, followed by an easy run home with the backpack, adding a few extra miles to top up the mileage on a bloody warm September evening. I was pretty dehydrated by the time I got home, which may have contributed to....

Tuesday: The workout that didn't...
    Pushed this one to a day early, given that I'd done my long run/session last week on a Saturday. Thought I'd sneak one past the weather gods by running a day early, but they must have been listening to the whispers in my brain, as heading out in the mid-afternoon, it was scorchio. After last week's 2 x 3.5 miles at tempo, 8 x 1 mile should be pretty comfortable by comparison, but I knew after the first mile rep that I was in trouble. I'm not sure what went wrong. It could have been yesterday's 15 miles. It could have been the unexpected heat (21'C). I may not have rehydrated properly yesterday. It could even be a bug (my daughter has a head-cold for the last couple of days). I'm also keeping an open-mind about potential over-training..

The Plan: 8 x 1 mile @ tempo, with 30 seconds recovery
    Actual: 3 mile warm-up in 23 minutes, took me down to the cinder. Completed some strides, and then hit the first rep. It was tough. I ran a little faster than planned (5:39), but it was bloody tough. The thirty second rest was over in the blink of an eye and I hit the second one closer to target in 5:47, but it was significantly harder. With each rep, the workload spiralled upwards. By the third rep (5:48), I knew I was going to have to do something as there was no way I was going to complete the session as planned. After the fourth rep (5:51), I decided to split the reps into two sets, with a two minute rest. The two minutes didn't really help and I continued my downward spiral on the 5th rep (5:50). On the 6th rep, I figured that I'd be better off focussing on effort, rather than time, but struggled to complete the rep anyway (5:58). Stopping, I was feeling pretty nauseous, so decided abandoning the reps was the best thing to do, and that's when the problems really started...

I figured that giving in was not good practice, so decided I'd jog out the remaining two reps on the track, but even at 8 min/mile, I was really struggling. Stomach cramps, calf cramps, dehydration and nausea, and I still had to get back to work (some three miles away). Made my way to the nearest public facilities where I used the loo and bought some water and then struggled my way back to work, having to stop many times. When the hearing went in my right ear (which I now realize was caused by the sweat pouring down the side of my head!), I figured I was banjaxed; falling apart at the seams. Was pretty knackered for the rest of the day.

On mature reflection, I'm going to call it 'one of those days'. I'll consider it a warning shot across the bows, and keep an eye out for signs of over-training. It's pretty frustrating when you don't hit a workout, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not a big deal. More important is general health and well-being.
    Summary: 15 miles in 1:50, @7:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I figured that giving in was not good practice, so decided I'd jog out the remaining two reps on the track, but even at 8 min/mile, I was really struggling. Stomach cramps, calf cramps, dehydration and nausea, and I still had to get back to work (some three miles away). Made my way to the nearest public facilities where I used the loo and bought some water and then struggled my way back to work, having to stop many times. When the hearing went in my right ear (which I now realize was caused by the sweat pouring down the side of my head!), I figured I was banjaxed; falling apart at the seams. Was pretty knackered for the rest of the day.

I'm not so sure I'd be buying water sold from public toilets!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Hard luck KC - yeah sounds like one of those days: tired legs, maybe low level infection (I have that cold right now- its very mild, I didnt realise id had it for a few days...), and/or the weather (I found it tough to do a simple 7 miler yesterday)

You know yourself, you dont lose fitness overnight. You'll knock it out next time.

• Advertisement

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm not so sure I'd be buying water sold from public toilets!:D
    There are worse things you can get from a public toilet!
    Hard luck KC - yeah sounds like one of those days: tired legs, maybe low level infection (I have that cold right now- its very mild, I didnt realise id had it for a few days...), and/or the weather (I found it tough to do a simple 7 miler yesterday)
    Cheers tbb. Things looking a little rosier today. Went out for an easy 12 miles at lunch-time, and while the legs were still pretty tired, I was feeling much better (though still very dehydrated). Stomach issues still not sorted, but I can live with those.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

I'll consider it a warning shot across the bows, and keep an eye out for signs of over-training.

Hi Krusty, something I've been meaning to ask you for a while. Like many others here, I've followed your fab progress in recent years in terms of your race times from 800m to 50k, on the back of very significant increase in your training miles and intensity and consistency. You don't seem to take many step back periods but yet your log very rarely reveals any of the classic signs of over training or staleness. Am I missing something, or how do you manage to put yourself through such relentless punishment and stay so bullet proof?

I've had about 6 to 8 months of a step up in my mileage this year, nothing near your levels, but quite frankly I feel shagged and sore and in need of a break. I'm currently weighing up whether to just train through this or take a month with a big step back. Any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

You might have seen this but it looks like there'll be some major changes in your local park, seems like the council are going to swap the land on the other side of the Dart line for the grounds around Shanganagh Castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

I'll get you into a Pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room after the race on Saturday if you run a few easy ones after the race! You can be Yoda and i'll be Luke and share your wisdom!

wrstan wrote: »
    ...on the back of very significant increase in your training miles and intensity and consistency. You don't seem to take many step back periods but yet your log very rarely reveals any of the classic signs of over training or staleness. Am I missing something, or how do you manage to put yourself through such relentless punishment and stay so bullet proof?

I've had about 6 to 8 months of a step up in my mileage this year, nothing near your levels, but quite frankly I feel shagged and sore and in need of a break. I'm currently weighing up whether to just train through this or take a month with a big step back. Any thoughts?
    Well, to the first point, I wouldn't say that there is a very significant increase in miles. I mean on occasion, I'll do something stupid like go from 60mpw to 90mpw after falling behind due to illness, but I'd suggest that if you look at my mileage from a macro perspective, my mileage is pretty consistent and increases are subtle:

2009-092013.png

After a long hard graft for London marathon, ideally what I should have done was completely disregard any thoughts of marathons and focussed on something completely different, like 800m, or 5k, but I got a little caught up in the enthusiasm of tackling Dublin again this year, and perhaps a little greedy (hoping to replicate some of the improvements I made in London marathon). I knew in the back of my mind that going into another marathon plan so soon was a bad idea, but once I pop, I can't stop... I find it very hard to quit anything, and will see things through to the end, even if it has a negative outcome. So onwards I trudge towards Dublin marathon, not certain if I will get any return at all for my hard work (which will be close to 1800 miles, by the time the race comes around).

Shagged and sore? (I predict a Digger'ism!). I'm permanently wrecked, and often feel like I'm held together with sticky tape. I don't walk down a stairs any more; I lower myself down a stairs. Watching me walk across the floor in my workplace after sitting for a while, would remind you of the days when a hatch became free when the pension was still handed out in the post office. Getting out of bed in the morning, I totter and sway, like those extremely tall buildings caught in strong winds.

The reality is that everything comes at a price. It's very easy to look at the results/improvements in isolation of the miles and the sacrifice, but you can't really do that. Right now I'm struggling with the investment versus gain ratio and thinking that regardless of the outcome, it's unlikely that I'll be in a position to go through this again. Sure, there'll be other marathons, but I doubt I'll be in a position to apply the same level of commitment. Maybe there will still be some more seconds for the taking on lower mileage plans, or maybe I'll just start playing the masters game. They do say that most runners improve for seven years and record their final PBs in their seventh year, so I still have one more spin of the wheel remaining.

<Guess who didn't get much sleep last night and is feeling particularly tired, sore and full of self-pity?!>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The other possibility is that you don't enter a spring marathon, ease off a little (you know, just 90+ miles a week:rolleyes:) and only pick shorter-term targets for a few months, and by the time June rolls around next year you'll be thinking of sub 2.35...

RayCun wrote: »
    The other possibility is that you don't enter a spring marathon, ease off a little (you know, just 90+ miles a week:rolleyes:) and only pick shorter-term targets for a few months, and by the time June rolls around next year you'll be thinking of sub 2.35...
    Yeah, I went through a similar mind-set a couple of years ago, after running 2:48 in Berlin (having run 2:55 in Barcelona earlier in the year). After two back to back marathon programs, I just couldn't face into another similar plan, so instead focussed on ultra marathons for 6 months. :rolleyes: (it's not necessarily the mileage, but the hard-graft!). If I get into Tokyo, I'll do it. Otherwise, I'm going back to shorter distances for a while. Would love to set the target of breaking 16 mins for 5k (even if it's not achievable).

You might have seen this but it looks like there'll be some major changes in your local park, seems like the council are going to swap the land on the other side of the Dart line for the grounds around Shanganagh Castle.
    Wow, bit of an eye opener. But at least in theory it should make the entire park more accessible to the public (few people use the bottom fields) and bring the castle back into circulation. I've never been in the castle grounds. Might be the right opportunity to petition the council for a cinder track?! Could be a great location for a Parkrun too, though we probably have enough of 'em in Dublin at this stage.
    thewolf_ie wrote:
    I'll get you into a Pool, Jacuzzi, sauna and steam room after the race on Saturday if you run a few easy ones after the race! You can be Yoda and i'll be Luke and share your wisdom!
    Well, I'm glad you went for Yoda and Luke, instead of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley! Plan is to follow up the race with another 12 easy miles (two laps of the route?), if you're up for it? Actually, looks like I may have to take the bike to the race, so if anyone has some boot space where I can stash some bike gear, I'd be very greatful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Actually, looks like I may have to take the bike to the race, so if anyone has some boot space where I can stash some bike gear, I'd be very greatful!

Ill be down in the car so you can stash whatever you want in there. I still have that bottle of DEUS Belgian beer I promised you the night of the beer mile but you sneaked off without :)

Lets make it interesting, a little wager. You beat me on saturday you get the beer no strings attached. I beat you, you still get the beer but you have to drink it within the week and have two cans of coors light beforehand :) Deal?

Ps you will notice there is no forfeit for me and I'd like to keep it that way :)

Well, I'm glad you went for Yoda and Luke, instead of George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley! Plan is to follow up the race with another 12 easy miles (two laps of the route?), if you're up for it? Actually, looks like I may have to take the bike to the race, so if anyone has some boot space where I can stash some bike gear, I'd be very greatful!

You could leave the bike at my house and its a mile jog to the start? I'll give the run after a bash but don't let me hold you back.

TRR wrote: »
    I beat you, you still get the beer but you have to drink it within the week and have two cans of coors light beforehand :) Deal?
    You fecker... I mentioned a few posts back that I was giving up beer on Sunday and you use this information against me?! :)
    Deal! Though after being beaten by a cripple, I may just have to shut down my training log for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

thewolf_ie wrote: »

:eek:

996595_10201224292043675_982594863_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Let the record reflect- I had nothing to do with this sodomy reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

The resemblance to Krusty is uncanny, but the wolf looks nothing like Mark Hamill :P

Am I meant to laugh at this???

Anto maybe if I let the hair grow no????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Well, to the first point, I wouldn't say that there is a very significant increase in miles. I mean on occasion, I'll do something stupid like go from 60mpw to 90mpw after falling behind due to illness, but I'd suggest that if you look at my mileage from a macro perspective, my mileage is pretty consistent and increases are subtle:

2009-092013.png

After a long hard graft for London marathon, ideally what I should have done was completely disregard any thoughts of marathons and focussed on something completely different, like 800m, or 5k, but I got a little caught up in the enthusiasm of tackling Dublin again this year, and perhaps a little greedy (hoping to replicate some of the improvements I made in London marathon). I knew in the back of my mind that going into another marathon plan so soon was a bad idea, but once I pop, I can't stop... I find it very hard to quit anything, and will see things through to the end, even if it has a negative outcome. So onwards I trudge towards Dublin marathon, not certain if I will get any return at all for my hard work (which will be close to 1800 miles, by the time the race comes around).

Shagged and sore? (I predict a Digger'ism!). I'm permanently wrecked, and often feel like I'm held together with sticky tape. I don't walk down a stairs any more; I lower myself down a stairs. Watching me walk across the floor in my workplace after sitting for a while, would remind you of the days when a hatch became free when the pension was still handed out in the post office. Getting out of bed in the morning, I totter and sway, like those extremely tall buildings caught in strong winds.

The reality is that everything comes at a price. It's very easy to look at the results/improvements in isolation of the miles and the sacrifice, but you can't really do that. Right now I'm struggling with the investment versus gain ratio and thinking that regardless of the outcome, it's unlikely that I'll be in a position to go through this again. Sure, there'll be other marathons, but I doubt I'll be in a position to apply the same level of commitment. Maybe there will still be some more seconds for the taking on lower mileage plans, or maybe I'll just start playing the masters game. They do say that most runners improve for seven years and record their final PBs in their seventh year, so I still have one more spin of the wheel remaining.

<Guess who didn't get much sleep last night and is feeling particularly tired, sore and full of self-pity?!>

I surely can't be the only person to read this and think "Thank God it's not just me who feels this way". A few days after London I came down to breakfast and told Mr Stew I was seriously concerned that if the house went on fire I wouldn't make it out on time;)
    I like the idea that I've 2 more years to keep improving though (assuming your 7 year figure isn't affected by how old the person is when they start running)
    thewolf_ie wrote: »
    You could leave the bike at my house and its a mile jog to the start? I'll give the run after a bash but don't let me hold you back.

Does Kiely know about this Mr Wolf?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Good lord, remind me to never get behind reading your log ever again!! It freakin' took me all day to get caught up, but boy howdy was it worth it. :)
    First - congrats on the mind-blowing Alpine marathon. Second - your training is impressive, phenomenal and exhausting. Third - is there nothing you can't do or excel at? Which brings me to....Fourth - for some strange reason, at this very minute I really want to challenge you to a duel in the pool. ;)

Dory Dory wrote: »
    At this very minute I really want to challenge you to a duel in the pool. ;)
    Ok, but I get to choose the rules. Firstly, we drain all the water from the pool. First person to complete 50 lengths wins!

Wednesday: 12 miles easy + 4.5 miles recovery
    Still a little dejected with Tuesday's failed session, I headed out with Keith for an easy 12 miles. He's targeting 3:30 for Dublin marathon, but based on this run, he looks like he's in good shape to run a good bit quicker, if he can get the long runs done. It was a warm one, so we stopped by my house for a drink of water, before pushing on to complete the 12 miles in 90 mins, @7:29/mile. Great to have a bit of company for a medium run. Followed up with another 4.5 mile recovery run, to chalk up some miles. Legs feeling pretty wrecked.

Thursday: 5.75 recovery + 5:25 easy/steady
    Really struggled my way through 5 miles at lunch-time, with the legs feeling like they had nothing in them. Really wasn't feeling optimistic about the 10k race on Saturday. In the hope of trying to salvage some kind of optimism, I picked up the pace for the second 5 mile run after work, and managed 7:09/mile for the rolling hill route, but felt extremely sore and stiff afterwards.

Friday: 5 mile recovery run
    A return trip to Cork for a funeral, necessitated an early start and it certainly ranks as one of the worst runs of the year. Emer headed out at the same time, and though she too was running at easy/recovery pace, I struggled to keep up, such was the pain and stiffness. Had planned 6 miles, but wasn't doing myself any favours, so called it quits after 5 miles. Even tried to do some strides over the last mile to loosen up the legs and managed to bring the pace up to a rather worrisome 7:42 mile. Bleak.
    Summary: 5 miles in 42 mins, @8:15/mile

Saturday: Lake Striders 10k
    Appalling weather as I ate my breakfast, I dejectedly put on the motorcycle gear for the trip out to Blessington, genuinely expecting the worst. When the bike didn't start with a flat battery I was half-tempted to throw in the towel, but realizing that the alternative was to do a very tough JD session, I made my way to my mum's house and nicked her car. Despite the setback, I still got to the Lake in time to see spiderman TRR making his way back from the number pick-up. We did a few warm-up miles, and I was glad that the legs/achilles felt a lot more limber than they had for the last 4/5 days, so I was ready to give the race a good go. I've ran a 10k PB on my last two visits to this race (36:18 and 34:50, finishing 8th on both occasions) so was optimistically hoping to take a few seconds off the PB on this occasion too. With TRR, Pre, Maria MacAmbridge and Neil (another very solid club-lad) the quality of the field seemed much better than previous years, so I hoped I'd have someone to run with/pace off.

After a couple of minutes in the freezing damp wintery conditions the gun went, and I was surprised to see Pre and TRR making very steady progress forging ahead, chased by Maria. Neil was slightly behind them with a couple of runners between us. I made a snap decision to focus on my own race rather than trying to catch anyone, but as we hit the other side of the bridge and started on the first downhill, I passed a couple of runners and wasn't too far off the group that had formed alongside MM. Mile 1: A slightly fast but also slightly downhill 5:24. Over the second mile (5:35), I had joined the group proper, alongside Neil, MM, and a couple of other runners. TRR was a good 100m ahead at this stage, but we seemed to be closing the distance on Pre (first race back after an 11 month injury-related layoff).

I found it fascinating to be running alongside a runner as good as MM. She was breathing pretty heavy for the second mile of a 10k (certainly suffering far more than I was at that stage of the race), and it really struck me that what makes a really good runner is the ability to push beyond the pain and tiredness barrier. The other interesting thing is that she was running at sub 35 pace, yet could have run a couple of minutes slower to take the win. So she was willing to push herself out of her comfort zone to compete on equal footing with the men-folk and hit her training goals. Well, enough of the veneration... As we worked out way along the third mile, there was me, Neil, Pre, MM and a civil service guy, running shoulder to shoulder. Gradually we were closing the gap on TRR (mile 3: 5:39). On a different day, I'd take great joy in catching TRR, but the reality is I need to be at the top of my game, while he needs to be recovering from the bottom of his, in order for us to be on a level playing field. We drew level around the 5k mark (around 17:18).

Soon afterwards, we took the sharp right turn which signaled that we were on the homeward stretch and that the single noteworthy climb was on the way (mile 4: 5:35). It's really a small climb in the grand scheme of things (30m), but at 10k pace, it can really knock the socks off of you (which are this stage were pretty squelchy). I lost a bit of ground on the climb (a couple of metres), but the top came sooner than I remembered. At this stage, I could feel lactic acid coursing through the legs, so I eased back the effort a tiny bit. TRR urged me to push on, so as the two lads opened a small gap, I stayed with them on the gentle drop after the hill (mile 5: 5:40). Almost immediately I regretted the decision, as I started to feel a little nauseous with the effort, but we were on a gentle decline so I reckoned I'd survive until the finish. Finally the 9k marker passed and we were still on a slight downhill (I wish I'd remembered all of the downhill from last year). With 500m to go, I glanced back and saw that MM was closing fast. I could see the finish line ahead in the distance, so I urged Neil to push on, as he was still looking pretty comfortable. As he accelerated I stuck to him and was surprised when the civil service lad dropped slightly off the pace. And so I crossed the finish line, chasing in Neil's wake, with MM and TRR and the Civil Service lads all within a second or two.

Antomagoo seemed to have MC duties for the day, and announced that I'd finished in 7th place. I checked the watch a few seconds later, to see 34:40, so an 8 second PB. Nothing to get terribly excited about, but I was happy to have run well, in such esteemed company; a decent note on what was otherwise panning out to be a pretty shoddy week of training. Hard to take this is an indication of progress towards DCM though, as I didn't run any 10ks in the build-up to London, but a PB is a PB, and I have a nice PB beer to celebrate it (cheers buddy!).

Summary: 10 miles, including 10k in 34:40.6, @5:34/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice run - everything falling into place for Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Great result KC, always nice to get a PB when you're not feeling good. I'm not going to give you any advice as you are much more experienced (and faster!) that me but you from reading your last few posts, you sound exhausted! I really don't know how you do back to back (to back to back!!) marathon training plans and you don't seem to be feeling the love for this cycle at all! Maybe people always have weeks like this in a marathon plan, but it reads like you're finding it a real slog this time round. As I said I have no advice for you (apart from wanting to tell you to take a few days off!), but I hope the fog lifts and you get back into the training groove soon.

Distance runners are always exhausted other then a week before the goal race! ;)

Or else you training below your potential!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

On a different day, I'd take great joy in catching TRR, but the reality is I need to be at the top of my game, while he needs to be recovering from the bottom of his, in order for us to be on a level playing field.

your modesty sickens me :) I have run faster than I did today but I've also ran slower many many many times. That's the beauty of a race you get yourself into the best nick you can and once you toe the line all excuses go out the window. If you are afraid to get beaten don't race. You beat me fair and square, I'm just disgusted I couldn't get in front of you so you'd have to drink those couple of cans of coors light :) See you in Moone

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Well done Gary, was great to see a good bunch of you in the top 10 racing together at the finish

Nice run - everything falling into place for Dublin?
    Everything falling apart for Dublin! Nah, just kiddin'. There always seems to be a tough patch around 7/8 weeks out from the goal, where the body doesn't seem to be responding well, and it affects the mind too. But yesterday's 10k helped, as did today's follow-up long run, so I'm feeling a lot better about this week's training.
    pconn062 wrote:
    It reads like you're finding it a real slog this time round. As I said I have no advice for you (apart from wanting to tell you to take a few days off!),
    It's just a phase I'm going through! Growing pains. :rolleyes:
    A few days off? Are you mad?! :eek: I'll take the 29th, 30th and 31st October off. :)
    TRR wrote:
    your modesty sickens me
    That's just my public facade. As soon as I got home, I shook up the bottle of beer and sprayed it around the house, much to the consternation of the wife and kids. After all, it's not every day you beat someone who took part in the world championships. ;)

Today: 20 mile easy run
    After yesterday's race, made a plan to meet up with Neil from the club, as long runs the day after races are always a bit of a suffer-fest. I made a plea for something flat, but it must have fallen on deaf ears, as he led me up to Windgate and onwards on a rolling hilly route. Chatted our way around the loop, and didn't notice the miles ticking off, so by the time we got back to Bray, I was happy enough to jog the remaining miles home to top up the run to 20 miles. It was a bit wasteful running more miles than my 90 mile week target, but I couldn't help but round it up. Thankfully a low mileage week next week (70 miles), before my final high mileage week.
    Summary: 20 miles in 2:22:22 (?), @7:06/mile

• Advertisement

Monday: 7 miles recovery + 5 miles easy
    Legs understandably tired, so took it easy and headed to Cabinteely Park for an easy few miles. Broke up the monotony by hitting the bars on each loop for some impromptu core work, with front and rear chin-ups and monkey bars. I'm sure I looked like a right twat, but that stopped bothering me around the same time I started wearing lycra. Followed up with an easier 5 miles in the park as darkness descended.

Tuesday: 6 miles recovery
    The low mileage week fits in nicely with a heavy workload week, so an easy 6 miles worked out just grand, on a 12 hour work day. Not sure how I'm going to manage next week, as it's supposed to be a 100 mile week, and I have two days of customer visits and a wedding to attend. May have to swap things around, but honestly, I just want to get the final high mileage week over with.

Wednesday: 4 x 2 miles @tempo w/2 mins rest
    A very physical day, that started with a session at lunch time, a visit to the physio after work, and a night-time visit to the climbing gym. The session was probably a little heavy with this Saturday's half marathon in mind, but frankly, after last week's training session failure, a training victory was a higher priority than a half marathon PB. So I was a little hesitant heading down to the cinder, but I didn't give myself time to think; as soon as I arrived at the track, I launched into the repeats.

Planned 2 mile time: 11:36 (5:48/mile pace)
    Actual times: 11:34 / 11:34 / 11:30 / 11:33

Despite a tough head-wind down one side of the track, they all went fine, but for the final two laps on the final rep, which were a bit of a struggle. Just happy to get it ticked off and followed up with a sports massage that should help ease things up for Saturday.

Summary: 14.73 in 1:38, @6:40/mile

Advertisement