Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Tks, still have the 305, but thinking of upgrading.

I'm not sure if you'd be upgrading tbh as the 305 probably has more 'features' (not sure about this but never used many features anyway) but it is certainly a snazzier and smaller watch than the 305.

I only upgraded from my 405 because it was giving out some distress signals and seemed to be on it's last legs (can't complain after 5 years and about 12000 miles tbh) so when the garmin30 code came up it was a no-brianer...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

menoscemo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you'd be upgrading tbh as the 305 probably has more 'features' (not sure about this but never used many features anyway) but it is certainly a snazzier and smaller watch than the 305.
    Things the 305 does, that the 220 doesn't:
    Record/follow a breadcrumb trail
    Multi-sport mode (no swimming)
    4 Data fields on screen

Things the 220 does, that the 220 don't:
    Aquires satellites much quicker
    Battery lasts much longer (when not in use/standby)
    Obtain latest satellite almanac via bluetooth
    Upload workouts to Garmin Connect via phone (Bluetooth)
    Records (longest run, fastest run, fastest mile).

January 1st: Finished up 2013 with a meal in a Chinese restaurant (including a couple of bottles of wine), some pints, some shots, some more pints and possibly some more shots, a sing-song in Paddy MacCrann's pub and some more pints. So my first run of the year was a bit of a delayed affair. Leaving the house and heading towards Roscommon Race course, I was reminded that nothing clears a hangover quite like an uphill run into the wind, on a cold wet day. It is the breakfast roll for the soul, without any of the ketchup stains or indigestion. The pace was handy, as I repeatedly and intentionally got lost around the tractor-sized roads around Roscommon town. Finally, arriving back into town to collect the car, I was greeted by a tractor, complete with blaring horn, hazards, and flashing headlights. I got a big wave as the tractor went by. Then another tractor and another wave. And another tractor, and another, until I had passed around 80 tractors, all part of a New Year's Day charity 'drive'. Where else would you get it?

Arriving back home in Dublin (work on Thursday (blurgh)), I headed out for another sneaky 5.6 miles around Bray. Legs were tired, but the will to start the year right, was stronger than the will to remain stuck to the sofa.
    Summary: 6.8 miles + 5.6 miles @~7:14/mile

Thursday: 11 miles with strength/strides
    I printed out the first page of Steve Magness' 5k plan and pinned it to my partition in work, and was struck by the fact that the running I've done this week closely mirrors week 1 of the base-building phase, so why wait a week? Why not start now? I've done three 10+ mile runs, a split 12 mile run, and my mileage will be headed north of 70 miles for the week. So I headed out with the intention of running 10 miles with some strides. In typical style, the legs were knackered; in comparison to the last week, no zip at all. I can only assume that the energetic cocktail of drugs my doctor had prescribed to me for my chest infection have since worn off. Down with that sort of thing! I hit Cabinteely Park for some core-strength stuff (10 x side, front and back chin-ups) and failed miserably on the final few (those extra xmas turkey pounds proving a hurdle too much). Now humiliated, I finished off the loop around Foxrock, before hitting Leopardstown Race course for the strides. Even heading uphill they were easy, and my confidence was fully restored, until I turned back down the hill, into the icy-cold gale. 5k pace was the best I could manage on the downhill stretch into that ugly wind. Still, 11 miles with strides on the second day of the year is no mean feat.
    Summary: 11 miles @7:07/mile, HR=140

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Nice Christmas beers by the way. That Founders Dirty Bastard has a great kick to it. I'm loving their all-day IPA, gorgeous stuff. I also had a bottle of Anderson Valley Hop ottin IPA which I'd highly recommend.

On topic, ish. I've a 220 after upgrading from a 305 and loving it so far. So light, picks up the satellites very quick, seconds. The bluetooth is great when it works. I did find uploading a bit buggy initially, had to reset the watch and garmin connect a few times before it would upload.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Nice Christmas beers by the way. That Founders Dirty Bastard has a great kick to it. I'm loving their all-day IPA, gorgeous stuff. I also had a bottle of Anderson Valley Hop ottin IPA which I'd highly recommend.
    Nearly all gone sadly. :( Thankfully, I've taken a respite from the beer for a while, so I'll have some to savour, when I return to it. Founders all-day IPA is fantastic and thankfully, low ABV by comparison to most craft beers, so extremely drinkable. I definitely overdid it on the sweetness and the hops over xmas though, so my best beer of the period was definitely the rauchbier (smoked Marzen). So much so, that I started checking out how far it is from Frankfurt, to the village where Schlenkerla is made (Bamberg), but the 210kms may prove a bridge too far, post-marathon.
    nerraw1111 wrote: »
    On topic, ish. I've a 220 after upgrading from a 305 and loving it so far. So light, picks up the satellites very quick, seconds. The bluetooth is great when it works. I did find uploading a bit buggy initially, had to reset the watch and garmin connect a few times before it would upload.
    I was most impressed with the menu system, which is very user friendly (very untypical of Garmin). I didn't think they had release the app for synching via Bluetooth, but that may be an Android limitation. Are you using an iPhone?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Must watch out for the rauchbier. 210km is a tad bit far to go for a beer. But then again.

Yeah I've the Garmin Connect mobile app for the iphone. Initially, the phone and watch connected no problem but workouts wouldn't upload. Eventually go it working but when uploading another activity, that failed and the previous one disappeared.

Seems like a common problem judging by the garmin forum. However, someone suggested to switch the app off, switch watch off and on again, and pair the two devices again. That seemed to do the trick with the last workout loading no bother.

Friday: 6 + 5 miles easy
    Went on the fallafel run at lunch-time to pick up our weekly fallafel rolls, only to be struck-down in the harshest way, when I found the farmer's market closed in some kind of crazy extended xmas holiday. Don't they know that there are diligent employees back in work who need sustenance? I bet you elite runners don't have to put up with this kind of crap. So had to run an extra mile to Subway instead, for some unhealthy sloppy food. (6 miles @6:52/mile).

After work, I ran home in the crazy weather, that thankfully was more of a cross-wind than the expected head-wind. I'd forgotten just how cleansing that Friday evening run home from work really is. By the time I hit the darkness of the park, work is almost two miles behind me, and there it stays, firmly parked. If you happen to live a runnable distance from your workplace, do this one thing - run home on a Friday. Best run of the week. 5.44 miles @6:59/mile.

Saturday: Recovery 5 miles
    Splooshy (what a great word!) 'recce of the master's xc route in anticipation of the following day's race. Ground was pretty firm, particularly with the morning's hoar frost, but if they chose the two fields closest to the railway line, there were some particularly damp boggy sections. Legs felt particularly lifeless, but I've learned that this isn't typically a predictor for subsequent days racing. 5 Miles @7:38/mile. Followed up with a few hours of easy family rock climbing, and some tougher bouldering (just to make sure that the upper body would be just as tired as the legs for race day.

Sunday: Wicklow Masters XC
    Trudged over to Shanganagh in pretty awful conditions (strong winds and sheets of rain), which is my mental picture of what cross-country is supposed to be like. Met up with Beepbeep and Abhainn for an easy trot, and watched Emer run her first XC race in, what must be 30 years (yes, she's that old ;)). Managed to clock-up 2.5 miles of warm-up, before very reluctantly peeling off my gear. I was absolutely frozen heading to the start-line with the other 40 or so brave 'ould guys (really they should run the masters race first in the calendar, when our bones are less brittle and the the arthritis makes us somewhat less creaky). There were a handful of M35s in the race though, hopping around and stretching with obvious elasticity.

I had missed the race last year, due to the same damn infliction that bothered me today, but thankfully, this time around I was at the tail end of it, rather than in the midst of it, so didn't think it would bother me until after the race, when the chest infection would rear it's ugly head once more. I hoped to run well in this race to get the year off to a good start and with Mick Byrne absent (who is typically a dead cert in these races), I figured a podium should be achievable. One other runner had finished a couple of minutes (and spots) ahead of me in the senior XC, but I'd been laid pretty low with illness at the time, so hoped to provide a little more of a challenge. After figuring out which direction to face, the gun went off, and I started a little more energetically, finding myself in around 5th position after the first bend. DL (the favourite) surged ahead pretty early, opening a gap on the rest of us of 2-3 metres, but when he realized he was on his own (and possibly concerned over the strong head-wind) he backed off, until we caught him. So at the bottom of the hill, there was a small pack including the leader, myself, Cormac, Abhainn and Beepbeep. Cormac pushed ahead on the slight incline and myself and DL chased after him, so as we turned into the head-wind, Cormac took the brunt of it, with the two of us in chase. Cormac stayed with us for most of the lap, on each occasion taking the lead into the head-wind (moral victory!), until eventually he dropped off and there was just DL and myself. Mile 1: 5:38.

As we hit the downhill/tail-wind section for the second time, the leader opened a 3-4 metre gap on me, and I just couldn't match him for speed. When we hit the bottom of the hill and started the brief climb, I closed the gap again, only to have him forge slightly ahead again, once we hit flatter ground. As we hit the second field, I took a wider line than he did, and the gap widened to around 5 metres. Each time we hit a flat section, he opened the gap a little more. Mile 2: 5:32.

The race was becoming a little like an interval session, with tough sections into the wind, followed by recoveries when the wind was behind us. By lap 3 I was feeling a little tired (mile 3: 5:37), but knew that second place was in the bag if I just maintained the effort. I never managed to gain any ground on him (in fact he widened the gap gradually), but I seemed to be widening the gap on those behind me too. Over the final mile I picked up the pace slightly, more to finish well, but was never within touching distance. Chatting to the winner afterwards, he thought we still had to complete another lap, so likely had plenty in the tank left. I crossed the finish line in 22:23, with a final mile in 5:32, at which point the chest infection caught up with me (three minutes of phlegm-retching provided a much needed core/cardio work-out).

The winner finished a strong 14 seconds ahead, and I had a gap of 22 seconds on the next runner. Between Abhainn, Beepbeep and myself, we just missed out on team gold (had to go to the rule book to separate the results), but some silverware, nonetheless. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't provide a greater challenge to the winner, but recent lack of quality work showed, particularly on flatter ground. I was happy looking at the stats afterwards, showing a 5:34/mile average pace for the race, but Beepbeep's Garmin activity shows quite different stats, so either I was running a very bad line, or my Garmin is trying to flatter me (unfortunately it seems like the latter). Regardless, it was a good workout, and my legs actually feel fresher than they did before the race, so a good outcome. A 4 mile warm-down catching up with Abhainn and Beepbeep took me to 10.5 miles for the day, and 70 miles for the week, and week 1 of base-training well and truly ticked off.

Summary: 2nd place Wicklow XC ould fella.

Monday: 10 miles easy @7:00/mile
    The program offered me a choice of 9 or 10 miles. Choice? I'm not really comfortable with choices. Just tell me what to do damnit! Needless to say, I went with the 10 mile option. Wind looked nasty at lunch-time, so I put the run off until the evening, where I had some company in the form of a club-mate, which made a pleasant change and the miles past by in a breeze (a very strong breeze at times). Nice to be ticking over at 7 minute mile and having it feel nice and easy. It's not been long since I was in the midst of marathon training, and was finding 7:20 a bit of a painful struggle.

Tuesday: 9 miles @7:32/mile + 5 miles @7:11
    Ran the first 4.5 miles with Keith on the soggy grass, before abandoning him (and the grass) for a faster loop around the racecourse. Felt tired, but as soon as I picked up the pace, the miles felt easier. I wasn't eager to head out for the second run in the dark, but my curiosity to see the Bray Promenade after the ravages of the crazy weather over the last few days provided enough motivation to get me out the door. It didn't disappoint, and the promenade's typical hard unyielding concrete surface was now covered in a soft, flat sandy surface with the occasional rock deposits. Had to jump over the sand-bags when leaving the promenade, which just added to the excitement (gotta conjure up some excitement from somewhere during a 5 mile easy run!).

Wednesday: 9 miles steady with 6 x 10 second hill sprints
    Really, really enjoyed this session. I haven't done any hill sprinting, since I tried to replicate some of Chivito's 400m sessions a couple of years back. This time around I was a little more cautious, as my last venture resulted in a couple of visits to the physio. Still, I headed back to exactly the same spot, a trip of just under 4.5 miles, with the MarathonTalk Pete Pfiztinger interview for company (check it out, if you haven't listened to it already). Arriving at the bottom of Taylor's Lane, I ditched the jacket and the podcast, and hit the lap button to kick off the advanced workout on my watch (a 2 second lead-in, followed by 10 seconds at a sprint), followed by a full 2 minute recovery.

The climb in question starts out as a moderate climb and gets steeper as you travel further up the hill, so perfect for this kind of workout. I stayed pretty low for this session (approximately 5 metres elevation gain for each 10 second sprint), but will move further up the hill for subsequent iterations, when the body's a little more used to it.

There's no point in looking at Garmin stats for anything that takes just 10 seconds to perform, but the Garmin was dead handy, to signal the end of recovery, start of the lead-in, and end of the sprint, without having to look at my wrist. By the 6th one, I was wishing there were more, but once again, caution is better than enthusiasm, when trying something pretty new. The run back to work was a comfortable 6:37/mile, with more of the podcast for company. Good to see lots more sprinting in the base-building phase. Happy days.

Summary: 9.5 miles with 6 x hill sprints

Hey KC, I was intersted to see the exact spot where you did you hill spints as I work very close, but unfortunately your Garmin profile is set to private so I can't view :(

Hey KC, I was intersted to see the exact spot where you did you hill spints as I work very close, but unfortunately your Garmin profile is set to private so I can't view :(
    Should be fixed now. It's pretty remote (not a single car or person did I see) and the peace and views are fantastic. It's actually called Sutton's Lane, not Taylor's Lane (which is actually in Ballinteer). Here's the view up the hill (if the link works for you).

• Advertisement

Should be fixed now. It's pretty remote (not a single car or person did I see) and the peace and views are fantastic. It's actually called Sutton's Lane, not Taylor's Lane (which is actually in Ballinteer). Here's the view up the hill (if the link works for you).

Thanks for that, I was hoping the hill was one near Taylor's lane, but that view brought back memories nightmares. Sure enough that's were Mr Stew took us for a long run this time last year......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Blue Orange Kinvara 35

Wow are you part of their advanced testing group ;)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Wow are you part of their advanced testing group ;)

Do you not have the 35s yet? You'll not even have heard of the 36's then. They're so light, you drop a couple of pounds just by wearing them.

Yesterday: 6 miles @7:13/mile + 6 mile @7:24/mile recovery
    Focus for this run was just to try to get Menoscemo the best possible shoe deal available, which required several trips over and back to Dundrum shopping centre. Followed up with a second evening recovery run, which took me half way up Killiney Hill, before looping back by via Killiney Golf Course and Loughlinstown. Really wasn't looking forward to the second run, but without any pace pressure, these recovery runs are a real joy. Just dial out the world with some good tunes and focus on relaxation and good form. My left shoulder has been bothering me since late November and after seeing a back doctor earlier this week, I'm trying to focus more on form/posture while running (though I suspect much of the problem is caused by bad posture while sitting slouching at work).

Today: 9 mile progression run
    Not sure I did this one right; there's no structure for this session provided in the plan/presentation, so decided to do a progression run in the more traditional sense, rather than a sequence of progressions (which is another type of session described in the plan).
    2 Mile warm-up @6:59/mile, HR=~137
    1 Mile @6:32/mile, HR=132 (largely downhill)
    1 Mile @6:26/mile, HR=142
    1 Mile @6:13/mile, HR=148
    1 Mile @5:52/mile, HR=154
    1 Mile @5:47/mile, HR=163 (uphill)
    2 Miles warm-down @6:27/mile, HR=151

Given that my warm-down was as fast as the first two miles of my progression run, I should probably have been a little more aggressive with my times, but I don't think I could have run much quicker than 5:45/mile today (though the final mile was a tough uphill drag to the race course). Next time I'll start at sub 6:30 after the initial warm-up, and try to finish with a half-mile at close to 5k pace.
    Summary: 9 miles in 58 mins, @6:25/mile

Yesterday: 6 miles @7:13/mile + 6 mile @7:24/mile recovery
    Focus for this run was just to try to get Menoscemo the best possible shoe deal available, which required several trips over and back to Dundrum shopping centre.

Haha, be honest you were going down there anyway with selfish intentions :pac:
    (I have sent another spy down this evening to get a second opinion ;))

Haha, be honest you were going down there anyway with selfish intentions :pac:
    (I have sent another spy down this evening to get a second opinion ;))
    I was of course! Just having a laugh...
    Where do you live now by the way? Fancy a run some evening if you-re nearby?

I was of course! Just having a laugh...
    Where do you live now by the way? Fancy a run some evening if you-re nearby?

I'm over in Monkstown, if that's any use? I often run home passing by Sandyford/Leopardstown....... You'd have to go dead slow for me though....:pac:

I'm over in Monkstown, if that's any use? I often run home passing by Sandyford/Leopardstown....... You'd have to go dead slow for me though....:pac:
    Ah right. for some reason I figured you were up around Sandyford. Still, got lots of doubles in my schedule (2-3 per week).

Ah right. for some reason I figured you were up around Sandyford. Still, got lots of doubles in my schedule (2-3 per week).

Good stuff. Might catch up with you on the way home some evening, I'll have PMP miles starting soon so might be worth my while holding on to your coat-tails while you're trotting along at your easy pace....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Where do you live now by the way?

In marthastew's shed with the cat ;)

• Advertisement

Saturday: 6 mile recovery run @7:14/mile
    Plan called for a 13 mile long run, but I had planned to meet a couple of other runners and run longer on the Sunday, so just swapped this out for an easy recovery run with the spikes in the park. I find it hard to run slow in the spikes though. As soon as I put them on, they seem to drive me forward, but the legs still feel better for the few miles.

Sunday: 18 mile steady run
    Picked up the club-buddy and headed down to Ashford to hook up with Abhainn. When we arrived, we spotted Beepbeep and thought he was along for the spin, but he'd already done his long run the previous day and we'd bumped into him more by accident. Still didn't stop him from leading the pace for the first couple of miles, before he looped backwards towards home, having done the necessary damage. The lads blamed me for the next few quick miles, but in fact it was all Beepbeep's fault, for giving me a taste for the 6:40 - 6:50 miles. Chatted our way around Abhainn's loops, occasionally running into a tough headwind. Things got a little quieter around the 11 mile stretch as we climbed the hill into the wind, but chat and pace picked up as soon as we crested the top and we hovered and the 6:40-6:40/mile for the rest of the run, until the final mile, where the talk of lunch-time sausages clearly spurred the guys into another gear as they struck for home, with a final mile @5:56. Enjoyable run that was reminiscent of last year's group long runs, a tradition that hopefully we can get kicked off again properly. Doesn't hurt that I've been abstaining from the beer so far this year, so getting up at 7:45am on a Sunday morning is easily done. Followed up in the afternoon with 2.5 hours of rock climbing, because you can never be too tired, or too sore.

Summary: 18 miles in 2:02, @6:45/mile

Monday: 9 Miles @7:16/mile + 5 miles @7:09/mile
    Plan called for hill sprints, but after running longer (and faster) than plan the previous day, I figured I'd be better off swapping things around and doing some easier miles. Second run called from some strides, but I was feeling pretty shagged, so couldn't muster a lot of enthusiasm (or pace) for the strides, but they acted as a bit of a shake-out.

Tuesday: 9 miles with 8 x 10 second hill-sprints
    Same route as last week, just a lot bloody colder. Really didn't want to relinquish my jacket for the hill-sprints (particularly the recovery walk back down the hill afterwards), but it's hard to sprint with multiple layers, so suffer I did. Again, really enjoyed the session, despite moving further up the hill this time (steeper slope). I could have managed a sprinkling more of these sprints, but Steve's the boss.
    Summary: 9.88 miles

Wednesday: 9.3 miles @7:05 + 4 miles @7:30
    Did the first run with Keith, stopping briefly at the bank, before looping around Foxrock and picking up the pace back to work. Keith actually recorded a 10 mile PB on this run (from Dungarvan last year), so definitely some damage to be done to his longer distances. The night-time 4 mile run seemed pointless and rather unpleasant, though a podcast about the existence of King Arthur kept me just above death-boredom levels.

Thursday: 8/9 Mile progression run
    After last week's progression run, I'd planned on moving through the stages a little quicker this time, getting down to sub 6:30 after the warm-up and spending more time at quicker paces, hopefully finishing up close to 5k pace. Well, that didn't happen (but close enough that I'm happy with the workout)!
    1 Mile @7:16 warm-up
    1 Mile @6:57 steady
    1 Mile @6:31, HR=132 (downhill)
    1 Mile @6:14, HR=132
    1.5 Miles @6:02, HR=154
    1.5 Miles @5:49, HR=160
    0.5 Mile @5:32, HR=166
    0.33 Mile @5:33, HR=169
    2 mile warm-down @6:42/mile

The last fast one was supposed to be half a mile at sub 5:30, but all of the faster miles were into a light head-wind (9 m/s) and twinned with the slight drag at the end, it burned me out completely and I had to stop before I hurled. Still, just 300m short of a top-notch session.
    Summary: 10 miles in 63 mins, @6:22/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Interested in those hill sprints. Are they part of a programme you are following for a certain distance or are you adding them in to help with the 400m target later in the year?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Interested in those hill sprints. Are they part of a programme you are following for a certain distance or are you adding them in to help with the 400m target later in the year?
    Specifically following a 5k program by Steve Magness. Here's an article by the man himself, on the subject of sprint training for distance runners. If it gets me closer to my 400m goal later in the year, than that's a bonus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Stazza

Monday: 9 Miles @7:16/mile + 5 miles @7:09/mile
    Plan called for hill sprints, but after running longer (and faster) than plan the previous day, I figured I'd be better off swapping things around and doing some easier miles. Second run called from some strides, but I was feeling pretty shagged, so couldn't muster a lot of enthusiasm (or pace) for the strides, but they acted as a bit of a shake-out.

Tuesday: 9 miles with 8 x 10 second hill-sprints
    Same route as last week, just a lot bloody colder. Really didn't want to relinquish my jacket for the hill-sprints (particularly the recovery walk back down the hill afterwards), but it's hard to sprint with multiple layers, so suffer I did. Again, really enjoyed the session, despite moving further up the hill this time (steeper slope). I could have managed a sprinkling more of these sprints, but Steve's the boss.
    Summary: 9.88 miles

Wednesday: 9.3 miles @7:05 + 4 miles @7:30
    Did the first run with Keith, stopping briefly at the bank, before looping around Foxrock and picking up the pace back to work. Keith actually recorded a 10 mile PB on this run (from Dungarvan last year), so definitely some damage to be done to his longer distances. The night-time 4 mile run seemed pointless and rather unpleasant, though a podcast about the existence of King Arthur kept me just above death-boredom levels.

Thursday: 8/9 Mile progression run
    After last week's progression run, I'd planned on moving through the stages a little quicker this time, getting down to sub 6:30 after the warm-up and spending more time at quicker paces, hopefully finishing up close to 5k pace. Well, that didn't happen (but close enough that I'm happy with the workout)!
    1 Mile @7:16 warm-up
    1 Mile @6:57 steady
    1 Mile @6:31, HR=132 (downhill)
    1 Mile @6:14, HR=132
    1.5 Miles @6:02, HR=154
    1.5 Miles @5:49, HR=160
    0.5 Mile @5:32, HR=166
    0.33 Mile @5:33, HR=169
    2 mile warm-down @6:42/mile

The last fast one was supposed to be half a mile at sub 5:30, but all of the faster miles were into a light head-wind (9 m/s) and twinned with the slight drag at the end, it burned me out completely and I had to stop before I hurled. Still, just 300m short of a top-notch session.
    Summary: 10 miles in 63 mins, @6:22/mile

That's a great progression run today. The fitness is coming along nicely.

Friday: Recovery: 5 miles @7:37/mile + 5 miles @7:35/mile

Saturday: St Anne's Parkrun
    My guilty pleasure is trying to finish first in all of the Parkruns (starting with the Dublin-based Parkruns) which is quite a challenge, as beyond the immediate need to run faster than everyone else who turns up that day, there are also new Parkruns springing up every week. Emer mentioned that she was planning a Parkrun on Saturday, to get a marker for where she is right now. I persuaded her to go out to St Anne's instead of the nearby Marlay Park, as I'd managed to finish first in all of the other Dublin races.

Getting up on Saturday morning, there was a brief moment of indecision, when we looked out the window at the sheets of wind and rain, but sure you might as well face the demons earlier in the morning, than later in the day. On the 30 minute soggy, wet drive over to Raheny, I took several opportunities to remind Emer that this was all her idea (even though secretly I had implanted the idea in her brain). A quick stop at the loo, and we made our way to the start. I decided to jog a quick lap of the course, but didn't realize that I'd only left myself 12 minutes to do it, so had to pick up the pace to avoid missing the start. I flung off the jacket as I approached the start area, but thankfully the run didn't start for a few minutes after I arrived. Had a quick chat with ChristieB, and made my way to the start, trying to leverage my way near to the front. When the gun went off, I was back around 15 places, which suited me fine. It looked like there were some pretty decent runners ahead, based on the choice of running shoe, club singlets (despite the cold), Ironman tattoos and lack of Christmas padding.

Lap 1: After the bull-horn, I got past a few runners and settled into around 10th place, just behind the triathletes. Just ahead a group of three runners opened up a gap, so I pushed on and caught them, dropping in behind the group. I had no interest in my race time, I just wanted the first finish, so I couldn't let the leading group of runners drop me. I was happy to stick with them for the first lap, just to get a feel for what I was up against, with the hope of pushing on, when/if the opportunity arose. We would our way around the course, sploshing through puddles and the pace felt pretty pedestrian for a 5k. As we hit the main avenue, the watch beeped after the first mile and I risked a quick glance, and was surprised to see 5:39, which would explain why the pace felt so comfortable. Two of the runners took to the main road, while myself and a runner in a Kilkenny singlet stuck to the path, which meant some ducking and diving under the tree branches, which were heavy with rain. I noticed that the two runners on the road seemed to drift off the pace, so I caught the Kilkenny runner and ran alongside him along the fast avenue. I noticed he was breathing pretty heavy and as I held the pace he had been running at, he started to drop off, which was a bit of a surprise. I hadn't planned on taking the lead quite this early, but dialing back the pace would be a mistake so I just stuck with it.

Lap 2: The volunteers gave us a big cheer and rousing encouragement as we passed by the finish line and I could hear a gap opening behind me. I didn't want to risk a glance back, but got a sense that Kilkenny was falling away. I just focussed on maintaining what felt like a decent 5k pace, while making sure I didn't push myself over the red-line (didn't want a repeat of the Malahide blow-up/blow-chunks double whammy). On one or two of the turns, I risked a sideways glance and saw that the gap was now 100m. Mile 2: 5:26. I just wound my way around the course, trying to maintain the pace, always a little paranoid that the assault would come at any moment, but whenever I got a chance to look back, the gap was widening. I hit the main avenue again, and knew it was in the bag, I just had to hang on until the finish. Mile 3: 5:29. I picked up the pace for the finishing straight and crossed the line with a couple of hundred metres to spare.

Checking the watch/results afterwards, the time wasn't the quickest (17:01), but that was largely down to the rather chilled first mile. It's definitely a fast course, and on a dry day with some sharp runners, I reckon some decent times are achievable. Hat's off to the volunteers who did a stonking job, in pretty appalling weather conditions. They still managed to look and sound cheerful, directly in contrast to us miserable runners. So for now, I've collected all the Dublin Parkrun badges... until the Ardgillan/Balbriggan course comes online in three weeks time. :)
    Summary: 5k in 17:01

Sunday: 20 mile steady run
    Great company for this run, with Beepbeep, Abhainn, theboyblunder and clubbie lining up on a cool Sunday morning at 9:15am. I'd plotted a route of two 10 mile loops with a decent climb in each, in order to simulate the Connemarathon route. The plan was 7 minute miles, which suited my tired legs just fine. The first loop took us up Killiney Hill, but in a moment of early-morning-cobweb driven confusion, I took us up the wrong turn and we ended up climbing a significantly steeper grade of hill than I had planned (past the Canadian embassy, instead of Bono's gaff!), but we struggled our way up, with the lads effin' and blinding me under their breath! Much relief when we hit the top and got to enjoy some downhill miles afterwards. Tried to reign in the pace a little, but these group runs tend to get a little enthusiastic and by the time we'd made our way back to the cars for a quick drink, the average pace was around 6:53. We parted ways with Bepbeep, who had completed his 20 mile run the day before, and was ratcheting up another 10 mile steady run.

For the second loop, we headed up Puck's Castle Road, which has a similar profile to the 'Hell of the West'. In fact as Abhainn pointed out, Puck's Castle presents a tougher challenge, as it's 15m more climb, over a similar distance (with further climbs before and after the hill). But what better way to simulate a tough course, than run an even tougher course. :) Theboyblunder was forging his way ahead on the uphills, and the only way I could keep him in touch of the group was to send himself and Abhainn the wrong direction a number of times, only to call them back once we had taken the correct turn. Once we crested the hill, the pace picked up again, and we were knocking out miles at a very decent clip. One final nasty surprise for the lads, as we passed down and back up a steep valley, that had my 5k-weary legs screaming at me to stop, before we were back on level ground and hurtling back towards Bray and the comfort of the cars. A very enjoyable run, despite the nasty hills. Some very tired/lethargic climbing in the afternoon, followed by my first couple of beers for the year. After a solid 83 mile training week, I reckon I earned them.

Summary: 20 miles in 2:15:46, @6:47/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Great performance in St Annes. I was marshaling (at the sharp right turn). You were cruising on the 2nd lap and looked like you could have picked up the pace if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ferris B wrote: »
    Great performance in St Annes. I was marshaling (at the sharp right turn). You were cruising on the 2nd lap and looked like you could have picked up the pace if required.

+1

I was marshaling at the finish and you looked very fresh crossing the line.

Ferris B wrote: »
    I was going to ask if that was the right turn beside the tennis courts, but there only seems to be one right turn on the entire course, so that must be it! Thanks for the shout of encouragement on the second lap.
    yaboya1 wrote:
    I was marshaling at the finish and you looked very fresh crossing the line.
    Thanks a lot, but I wasn't feeling particularly fresh! Fortunately the rain washed the snot bubbles and spittle dribbles off my face. Hat's off to you guys for a superb Parkrun, and a particularly commendable effort volunteering on a day like that!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

So for now, I've collected all the Dublin Parkrun badges... until the Ardgillan/Balbriggan course comes online in three weeks time. :)

Your mountain marathon will stand to you for the Ardgillan Parkrun :)

Advertisement