Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've taken to not taking too many days off, if I can help it, but I won't run. I'll probably take the bike out for a spin if I get home early enough, but less from an exercise perspective, more for recovery. I found that getting some exercise on non-running days has helped with recovery. I've also lost a few pounds recently (not that I really needed to), but I suppose the less you have to carry around the 26 miles of Berlin, the better.

How about yourself? Rest or run? How confident are you feeling about Berlin? Do you think you could have trained harder? I think next time, for the assault on sub-3, I'll follow the P&D 'up-to 70 mile' program.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

I'm in two minds about whether to run today. I did yesterdays recovery run before work just to give myself a 36 hour break should I feel like running today. Come back to me in 12 hours.

That 'up to 70 mile' plan buggered up my Spring training this year. The body just said no and the dreaded shin splints attacked with a vengence. That said, I'm probably in better shape now should I decide to move up to it after Berlin. However, I'm not thinking about the next one (actually the next next one because the 'next' one is already set, more about that on a separate log).

As you enter taper mode I think the demons definitely come in regarding whether you trained hard enough. All I can say is that I stuck to the schedule, I haven't missed a day since June and I've made the effort (maybe even too much) in all my sessions. If I don't do sub 3 (and I'd say it's 50/50) I won't beat myself (or the schedule) up about it. If I crash and burn, P&D and me may well part ways because I think I've held up my end of the bargain.

What about yourself, how would you appraise your training for this one ?

Like you, if I fail in terms of my target, it won't be because I deviated from the plan. I have followed it rigidly from day dot. I know that the plans are supposed to be more organic and adapt to the current situation, but sticking to it rigidly has helped with my motivation. Because I failed to make my last marathon, I feel like I've been training for this one since December and in realistic terms, I have. That equates to around 10 months work, 1,300 miles, thousands of euro (Edinburgh, Berlin, Physio, running shoes etc), and a near infinte amount of family support!

But thankfully, all that doesn't equate to pressure. I'm a realist, and I've seen things go wrong before, and I know they can go wrong again. But that doesn't change the fact that I will be bitterly dissapointed if I fail to perform to my own standards. The problem with marathons is that you invest so much time and effort into them, yet all it takes is an open shoe-lace or a dodgy meal to scupper your efforts. But as I've said many times in this log over the last year, Running isn't just for Christmas. The journey doesn't start in Tiergarten, it started back on the 9th December 2008.

So is that plan set in stone yet ? 1st mile at 7'04" and every mile after it ?

Didn't get to go out this evening, as had to feed the urchins, and then it got too dark for the bike.

The plan is to have three fields on the watch:
    1) Distance covered
    2) Average pace (not lap pace)
    3) HR
    Plan is so start at around 7:05, and if things are going well at half-way, push-on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

2) Average pace (not lap pace)

I came across this by accident while running with Figs and Ral3 on a long run and now use it on all my long runs. Far better as theres no point telling you you've ran 6'50 for your last mile if your overall pace is 7'10.
    Getting excited now.

Woddle wrote: »
    I came across this by accident while running with Figs and Ral3 on a long run and now use it on all my long runs. Far better as theres no point telling you you've ran 6'50 for your last mile if your overall pace is 7'10.
    Getting excited now.
    Yeah, lap pace has its place (I'm a poet and I know it), like when you're doing 10 miles at x pace, and then want to shift up a gear, but for race day, average pace seems to do the job (with auto-pause turned off - the clock doesn't stop just because you need to pee!).

I dreamed the other night that I woke up at 11am, and I'd missed the start of the race by 2 hours, so I decided to head out for a long run instead. Definitely taper-time!

Woddle wrote: »
    Getting excited now.

I've been wondering (worrying) more about this than is probably healthy. What settings to put the Garmin on.

Krusty, are you going to have those three fields showing at once ?

If so, which will be the dominent field ? I find when you relagate distance covered to a smaller field (on the watch screen) it only shows minutes (not seconds). TBH, I'm not sure about HR, I find although I wear the HRM every run I hardly ever pay attention to my HR. I've certainly never forced myself to slow down due to a higher than predicted HR.

Yep, pace will be center-stage, distance bottom left, and HR on the right. The HR is actually for the opposite purpose - it'll allow me to push on a bit, particularly in the second half. I don't think distance is that important, as I would imagine the Germans (god bless their efficiency!) will have pretty accurate mile/kilometer markers! On the 405, distance in the bottom left is to 2 decimal places (distance is measured in miles and kilometers, not hours and minutes. :))

On the 405, distance in the bottom left is to 2 decimal places (distance is measured in miles and kilometers, not hours and minutes. :))

My bad, was thinking of time alright. So you won't have time shown at all ? I know with the other information it's not strictly necessary but I dunno, nice to see (say 90 mins at the half way point). I guess I could put this information on a 2nd screen and just 'tab' into it if/as necessary.

Here's one for you, has your screen ever clouded with condensation when being hit with a high sun ? Doesn't happen often (our great summer) but it's a pain when it does. May return the watch after if it gives me jip in Berlin.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Yep agree with Rusty here, I'll have time as the main, bottom left will be overall pace and bottom right will be distance, I may put it on to rolling between the heart rate field aswell but I might find the HR off putting, not sure.

Why do you need time? Won't there be a clock at the finish line?! ;o)
    Yeah, I'll probably have a quick check at 10k, half-way, and 20 miles, to see if I'm close to target, but if I'm not, I won't be too bothered. I'm not aiming for one of those milestone times where every second is critical, so the plan is to really savour every moment of what should be a fantastic experience. Hopefully when I get to the stage when I'm aiming to tackle sub-3, I'll be aiming for 2:55 or better (lol! Wake-up Krusty!) so I won't be fighting for every second either.

Yes, I remember the watch clouding twice, since I got it. I think you need a very specific set of conditions for it to happen, i.e. very high humidity (the like of which you can only get in this country), plus a dramatic change in temperature (a set of conditions we can probably only achieve on these shores!). It's definitely a flawed piece of equipment, but it's the best flawed piece of equipemnt I've bought in a long long time.

KC, Woddle

I posted early on the Berlin Marathon thread that my flight into Berlin wouldn't make the expo in time (land in Berlin around 6pm, Sat) to pick up my race number. At the time Jrar said that as he was picking up a few numbers already, he didn't mind picking up mine as well. I don't think he posts very much on this forum so I'm a bit hesitant tracking him down to fulfill his promise.

Would either of you be able to pick it up ? If your busy, arriving late, picking up others already, then no worries I'll mail Jrar.

That's no bother. I'm going on the Friday, so can pick it up then. (You can always have a back-up plan for the Saturday as well then!). Send me a pm with your e-mail address, and we can sort out the details. btw: What pen are you starting in?

Thanks Krusty, just pm'd you.

I think I'm in the sub 3 pen. My confirmation document lists 2'59'59" beside my race number so I guess they are going on my predicted time.

What about yourself ?

Although I signed up for Berlin last December, I'm glad to see that my predicted time back then is within 1 minute of my current target. I'm not sure what the pens are, but I should be in the next one after sub-3, with a predicted finish of 3:05.

So if we see each other during the first 13.1 miles one of us is not following the plan.

Or one of us took a short-cut. ;)

Today: 10k time trial. Too much chatter on this training log, and not enough training, so I decided to head out for my 10k time trial. I was supposed to do an 8k-10k race tomorrow, but there are none to found in the country, and the Kilkenny and Portlaoise races didn't suit the schedule.

So with some trepidation, I set the Garmin to countdown from 10k to zero, and headed out with the intention of stick to 6:20 pace. The first mile and a half are uphill, and were into a strong wind, so I figured any chance of recording a good time were out the window. Hit the down-hill, and looked at the watch. Still on the pace. The uphill loop into Cherrywood nearly killed me with the wind, but I struggled on. Back onto another downhill into Rathsallagh, and I was wrecked. Thankfully, I met a girl on a bike, who wanted a race. I chased her for two miles (not drafting!) before passing her as I arrived into Shanganagh Park. Another small uphill, and my lungs were absolutely busting (I never thought it would be my cardio system that would let me down).

A loop of the bottom of the park, and back onto an uphill, with 500m to go. Managed to keep going, until finally, with a searing pain in my lungs and a taste of blood in my mouth, the watch played it's jingle that signals the end of the run. I have never been in this much pain after a run. The course I ran had a net down-hill of 26m, so a pretty sympathetic course, but i'm still very happy with my time of 38:12. Can't wait to give a proper 10k race a real go. Until then, this'll have to do me.

Summary: 10K in 38:12 @6:08min/mile, with 30m elevation drop. HR=173 (91%).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Yeowsers! Nice one, sub 3 here you come ;)

• Advertisement

Ooo, now there's a target for tomorrow morning. Was going to run a pseudo 5 miler but after reading this I guess I'll make it a 10k instead. Let's see who's laughing then Mr Clown ;)

And sure while I'm at it, threw 38'12" into McMillan = 2:59'16" marathon. Interesting, very interesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Today: 10k time trial. Too much chatter on this training log, and not enough training, so I decided to head out for my 10k time trial. I was supposed to do an 8k-10k race tomorrow, but there are none to found in the country, and the Kilkenny and Portlaoise races didn't suit the schedule.

So with some trepidation, I set the Garmin to countdown from 10k to zero, and headed out with the intention of stick to 6:20 pace. The first mile and a half are uphill, and were into a strong wind, so I figured any chance of recording a good time were out the window. Hit the down-hill, and looked at the watch. Still on the pace. The uphill loop into Cherrywood nearly killed me with the wind, but I struggled on. Back onto another downhill into Rathsallagh, and I was wrecked. Thankfully, I met a girl on a bike, who wanted a race. I chased her for two miles (not drafting!) before passing her as I arrived into Shanganagh Park. Another small uphill, and my lungs were absolutely busting (I never thought it would be my cardio system that would let me down).

A loop of the bottom of the park, and back onto an uphill, with 500m to go. Managed to keep going, until finally, with a searing pain in my lungs and a taste of blood in my mouth, the watch played it's jingle that signals the end of the run. I have never been in this much pain after a run. The course I ran had a net down-hill of 26m, so a pretty sympathetic course, but i'm still very happy with my time of 38:12. Can't wait to give a proper 10k race a real go. Until then, this'll have to do me.

well done - great running on your own...(ya masochistic lunatic). :)

To be fair it was downhill....Downhill.... Flatten it out, and it's probably worth a 40:05. I am looking forward to the next 10k race though. great to have someone to chase down, rather than a girl on a bike, even if we were having a laugh.

Well that's the porridge well burnt off. Don't go doing anything heroic on the 16 miler or you'll have me in a heap.

So? How did it go? Don't keep us in suspense!

I went out with the IMRA lads on the navigation course (which was brill.), so going to skip the 4 miles w/strides.

Well I didn't want to start posting my times in another person's log ;) but as you've asked.

37:48 @6'05 pm, AHR = 157 (not sure what % that is).

The course was dead flat with a strong tail / head wind out / return. The first 3 miles (tail wind) were done in 17:48. Then the turn and I watched my average pace creep ever up. Obviously happy with the time. Gonna head out for a few scoop-da-loops tonight so tomorrow's 16 will be a more modest affair.

Pity to miss that navigation course, I was shopping for curtain material (give me another 10k).

Outstanding running, that man. If the conditions are good, and everything goes to plan, it'll be a case of how many minutes sub 3 you'll go.

Outstanding running, that man. If the conditions are good, and everything goes to plan, it'll be a case of how many minutes sub 3 you'll go.

Ah shucks, thanks big guy. A modest four pints o'plain tonight so hopefully tomorrow's 16 should be event free. Then we reallly are in taperplatz.

Today: 16 mile taper run up over the Dublin Riviera, in the lashing rain. Who ever said tapering was easy?! Legs were still a little bit stiff after Friday's 10k, so this was never going to be a speedy session, but I still wanted to focus on quality and pick-up the speed close to pmp, which I managed from miles 12-14, before settling back into a final couple of recovery miles.

It'll be great not to have to carry the drink belt any longer, as it's no longer fitting me very well. I need to start tucking into the pints real soon, or I'll have to pick up a new running wardrobe. Speaking of, I've reached the mid-point, having given up all my bad habits two weeks ago, with just two weeks to go!

Summary: 16 miles in 2:01 @7:34/mile. HR=142 (74%).

• Advertisement

Good going KC. Today's run was certainly no easy affair. Very glad to get that one in the bag. You taking tomorrow off ? (I know I am).

Advertisement