Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

316009.jpg

I have a work trip to Wisconsin from Sunday, and it's incredibly difficult to get any proper mileage done due to work commitments, jet-lag, flights etc., so the plan was to hit max volume this week, and take next week as a recovery week. I'll lose two days to travel (including tomorrow), so had to hit my target volume in six days instead of seven (or face the prospect of getting up early tomorrow and not getting to bed until 24 hours of travel later), all made a little harder by the uncharacteristically warm weather.

Monday: 8 miles + 10.7 miles easy

Tuesday: 6 x 1600m @T w/ 1 min rest + 6 mile recovery run
    A bit of a fnck-up of the session on Tuesday, (6 x 1600 @threshold), when the absence of a step-back or rest day between the race on Saturday and the session left the legs with no energy at all (20 miles on Sunday and 18+ miles on Monday). The unusual mist seemed to cool the day's temperatures down a little, but still I was sweating buckets and had no energy in the legs, so I abandoned the targeted splits and ran the intervals at a steady effort.
    Original target: 5:32/mile
    Actual 1,600 splits: 5:36 / 5:39 / 5:42 / 5:44 / 5:51 / 5:50
    So a bit of a downward spiral. I'm sure if I'd just left the session for an extra day, I'd have had a much better outcome, but to be honest, just doing the session this week was a bit silly. Didn't stop me from heading out for a 6 mile recovery run that evening, despite the heat (forever destined to repeat the same mistakes!).

Wednesday: 9 easy + 5.6 easy + 5.6 easy
    Highlight was the mid-day lunch run with Keith, when we stopped at a tap in Kilternan for a quick drink. It must have been a magical tap, as Strava reckoned that I'd been transported to Papa New Guinea, which contributed towards a 31 minute 10k. I'll definitely be hitting up that tap again. 20 miles in total, all with the added weight of the backpack. I reckon I'd be in good MDS shape at the moment.

Thursday: 10 easy + 6 easy
    Lovely sunny lunch 10 mile run, including a tough climb up Ticknock Road. As I ran through a park near my office, a young teenager called me a living legend and gave me a high five. Cheered me up no end. I reckon he was being ironic, but I'm taking it at face value. :) 6 mile easy run home afterwards, with the pace finally arriving back into the legs.

Friday: 5.6 easy + 7.5 easy
    Morning run-mute was a bit of a struggle, but the lunch run was a glorious 7.5 mile easy run. finally getting the hang of the heat. Lately I've felt my role in life is to convert water into perspiration. Water goes in, miles and sweat come out.

Saturday: 20 miles steady + 2.3 mile recovery
    Neil wanted an early start, so just the three beers the night before, as I met him just after 7:45am and we headed off on a loop of Kilternan (stopping at the magical tap), Marlay Park, Sandyford (quick drink) and home. Despite chucking out a couple of 6:13 miles at the end of the run, Neil still disappeared off into the distance. Fecker. :) Pace for the long run averaged 6:53, so good to have a solid long run at the end of a high volume week. Some stretching and rehydrating at home, then headed out for a 2 mile cool-down, just to top out the weekly mileage target (and my highest ever mileage week).

Sunday: 4,252 flying miles.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I need a recovery drink after reading that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

You're pure stone mad KC.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would it take long to jog to Kilbogget track from where I work? May be a good spot for my Tuesday runs...

Would it take long to jog to Kilbogget track from where I work? May be a good spot for my Tuesday runs...
    Hi Medbh, about 4 miles I reckon, so probably a bit much if the plan is to do a session once to get there. I have done sessions along the pavement/cycle track which runs parallel to the motorway: here. It's a little public and can be quite windy, but it's also relatively flat. Then there's also the racecourse. The far-side has a long straight, but it's a bit of a drag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Everyone on Boards must be rich with all their fancy business trips :P

pa4 wrote: »
    Everyone on Boards must be rich with all their fancy business trips :P
    I take it you've never been to Wisconsin then? It's like Leitrim, only more so!
    Having left my house yesterday at 8:30am and arrived in my hotel today at 10:30am Irish time, I can confirm that there's nothing very glamorous about work trips. For the full experience, try locking yourself into the toilet of a caravan with four strangers for 24 hours, then have someone roll the caravan down a long steep hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Having left my house yesterday at 8:30am and arrived in my hotel today at 10:30am Irish time, I can confirm that there's nothing very glamorous about work trips. For the full experience, try locking yourself into the toilet of a caravan with four strangers for 24 hours, then have someone roll the caravan down a long steep hill.

I concur. I travel quite regularly to Seattle and it's a pain in the hole - about 18 hours door to door and then you're 8 hours out of whack. Start the week by waking at 4 a.m. and just as you're getting used to the time difference, it's time to do the journey in reverse.
    Having said that, it's always nice to have somewhere new to run and the gear is dirt cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

PaulieC wrote: »
    I concur. I travel quite regularly to Seattle and it's a pain in the hole - about 18 hours door to door and then you're 8 hours out of whack. Start the week by waking at 4 a.m. and just as you're getting used to the time difference, it's time to do the journey in reverse.
    Having said that, it's always nice to have somewhere new to run and the gear is dirt cheap.

Sorry to hi jack your log G but any good routes around there? will be over there for a few days in 3 weeks time myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

It couldn't be! The 70's Show was set there!

But seriously, as someone who also travels a lot with work (in airports weekly) it is not conducive to training! Although I have recently discovered cheap ways of using airport hotel gyms which is brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

Hi Medbh, about 4 miles I reckon, so probably a bit much if the plan is to do a session once to get there. I have done sessions along the pavement/cycle track which runs parallel to the motorway: here. It's a little public and can be quite windy, but it's also relatively flat. Then there's also the racecourse. The far-side has a long straight, but it's a bit of a drag.

Do you mean the road around the racetrack? I didn't think you could run that, was up there recently and there are signs up saying no walking/running and tresspasers will be shot (I may have mis-read the last part!)

I find Torquay / Brighton road to be about the flatest around Sandyford, I hate running that road parellel to the motorway, in my head you are going uphill all the way from the Dundrum roundabout!

Weetabix wrote: »
    Do you mean the road around the racetrack? I didn't think you could run that, was up there recently and there are signs up saying no walking/running and tresspasers will be shot (I may have mis-read the last part!)

I find Torquay / Brighton road to be about the flatest around Sandyford, I hate running that road parellel to the motorway, in my head you are going uphill all the way from the Dundrum roundabout!
    No. I know some of the lads have run there (pronator for example), but the 'here be Dragons!' signs have so far scared me off too! I meant this section of road. It's not bad from a running perspective but it's never entirely flat. Always a drag going one way or the other.

Think I've run that stretch by the motorway before, other alternative is to run up and down the Drumartin link road for 30 minutes. Really not the best place for running. I've only done a couple of routes round there, have my own 10k route and one I run up to the race course with some of the lads. Need to broaden the horizons a bit!

Might try deerpark for sessions...a 30 min steady run around there maybe a little boring though.

Think I've run that stretch by the motorway before, other alternative is to run up and down the Drumartin link road for 30 minutes. Really not the best place for running. I've only done a couple of routes round there, have my own 10k route and one I run up to the race course with some of the lads. Need to broaden the horizons a bit!

Might try deerpark for sessions...a 30 min steady run around there maybe a little boring though.
    Deerpark's a bit crap. How about Marlay? It's really only about 2 miles from you and there are several routes to get there. If I were you, I'd also be heading up to Ticknock for the views. You can also hit the coast, for an nice 8-10 mile loop. The industrial estate isn't great, but lots of nice places to run nearby. It's around a 10k run home for you too, isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Congrats on the win KC!

If you are stopping over in Chitown on the way to cheeseville and need a run give me a shout!

Deerpark's a bit crap. How about Marlay? It's really only about 2 miles from you and there are several routes to get there. If I were you, I'd also be heading up to Ticknock for the views. You can also hit the coast, for an nice 8-10 mile loop. The industrial estate isn't great, but lots of nice places to run nearby. It's around a 10k run home for you too, isn't it?

10 miles to home. Will have to check out the routes to Marlay on an easy run day...sticking to a big lap of Drumartin link road and Benildus Ave for today I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭AdpRo

I do almost all of my midweek running from the industrial estate. A couple of routes I use are, leave the estate via the Leopardstown roundabout, head up by Bewleys Hotel, on past Glencairn luas stop, right at the 2nd set of lights after the stop and left almost stright away, this road takes you up to Stepaside village, right in the village and straight back down to Sandyford via Blackthorn Drive, just over 5 miles and can be made longer by running back to the industrial estate vie Benildus Ave if necessary.

Another 5 miler is again leaving the industrial estate the Leopardstown roundabout, left onto Brewery Road, left again just before you hit the N11 and on into Stillorgan. Left at the pub beside Lidl (can't remember the name of it!) and straight across Lower Kilmacud Rd to the Dunmartin Rd and again back to the estate via Benildus Ave.

Here's a nice little 7.5 mile loop that will take you off some of the usual roads. Here's a 10 mile loop taking in a bit of climb, up around Ticknock Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Feldschlösschen. Have you tried it? Very very tasty Swiss beer.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Feldschlösschen. Have you tried it? Very very tasty Swiss beer.
    Hmmm... I spent a couple of days in Switzerland last year (Davos Alpine Marathon), so may well have sampled this one (the hotel room fridge was stocked with beer, and unusually, it was all free!). To be honest, none of the beers in Switzerland really inspired me. Even the few craft beers I tried (Feldschlösschen is made by Calrsberg) were muck. Chocolate, they may have mastered; precision engineering may be a piece of pi$$ for them, but the fine art of brewing seems to have, of yet, escaped the swiss! Hope you're enjoying Zurich. I'm on holidays at the moment, so great to be able to watch it on the telly-box uninterrupted!

• Advertisement

28th - 3rd: Work trip to the US
    From previous work trips to River Falls Wisconsin, I knew it would be extremely hard to get any running done, between transatlantic travel, hot weather, jet lag, long working hours, work dinners and drinks with colleagues, but mostly the work thing. Because of this, I'd written off the week in the training schedule (recovery week), and any mileage I got done would be a plus. I haven't missed a day of running since holidays in March, so the rest would probably do me some good anyway.

Monday: Despite awful flight delays and arriving at the hotel at 5am (instead of 9pm the previous night), managed to get out for a sneaky 10 miles after work. I'd only managed two hours sleep, but felt pretty good, so the miles ticket off easy enough, as I lost myself in the small-town countryside and balmy 22'C. 10 miles @6:58/mile

Tuesday: Literally had 30 minutes to spare between work and dinner, so just had time for 3.5 miles and a shower, in a slightly warmer 25'C, @7:20mile

Wednesday: 7 miles easy. At 6am it was a lovely 12'C, so managed a nice 7 mile loop, before work. 7 miles @7:18/mile

Thursday: Off
    Friday: Off

Had a big presentation to deliver on Thursday, so used the spare time to work, and then was out to dinner immediately after finishing work. Friday was a half day in work, and then Transatlantic travel back to Ireland, arriving on Saturday.

Saturday: 20 mile progression run
    Got feck all sleep, but wanted to get some quality done, so after about two hours in bed, laced on the shoes and hit the road. Really was jaded, so figured the best use of my time would be a progession run, so if I did run myself into the ground, then at least I wouldn't have far to walk home. :) Divided the planned 20 miles into four mile segments, and the plan was to increase by 15 seconds per mile, every segment, starting at sub 7:30/mile.

Planned/Actual:
    sub 7:30 / 7:19
    sub 7:15 / 7:02
    sub 7:00 / 6:47
    sub 6:45 / 6:36
    sub 6:30 / 6:25

A really great way to do a solid long run, particularly under circumstances like this, when you're not sure if tiredness will allow you to get around at a decent clip from the start. Looking at the average pace for each segment, it's a great psychological boost to need to slow down rather than speed up. The run got a little tough for the last 1.5 miles, but with no water, and much tiredeness/dehydration, that's no great shock.
    Summary: 20 miles in 2:16, ~6:50/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Hmmm... I spent a couple of days in Switzerland last year (Davos Alpine Marathon), so may well have sampled this one (the hotel room fridge was stocked with beer, and unusually, it was all free!). To be honest, none of the beers in Switzerland really inspired me. Even the few craft beers I tried (Feldschlösschen is made by Calrsberg) were muck. Chocolate, they may have mastered; precision engineering may be a piece of pi$$ for them, but the fine art of brewing seems to have, of yet, escaped the swiss! Hope you're enjoying Zurich. I'm on holidays at the moment, so great to be able to watch it on the telly-box uninterrupted!

Yeh their dark beer was nice. But just had the original and its fairly poor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Speaking of beer, the new Viethow from Trouble Brewing is very nice. On tap in P Macs anyway.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Speaking of beer, the new Viethow from Trouble Brewing is very nice. On tap in P Macs anyway.

They're doing some magic beers at the moment. The lazy Sunday saison (bottle) is one of my favourites at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

They're doing some magic beers at the moment. The lazy Sunday saison (bottle) is one of my favourites at the moment.

Would you be a New Glarus drinker when on your holidays in Wisconsin? ;)

Spotted Cow is a stable for me now and I import it across state whenever I know someone going up.

blockic wrote: »
    Would you be a New Glarus drinker when on your holidays in Wisconsin? ;)

Spotted Cow is a stable for me now and I import it across state whenever I know someone going up.
    Yep, definitely sink a few spotted cows when in Wisconsin. But, there is such variety in the bars over there, that I usually switch around beers constantly. My favourite in the area is Surly Furious (only sold in Minnesota), but there are lots of other local brewers that are top notch, like Rush River, Summit, Leinenkugel (linie for short). They're really spoilt for choice.

You have some amazing brewers in your backyard too. Three Floyds, Lagunitas, Goose Island (AB, but still makes some damn fine beers). Then you got all the best stuff from California and other states, like Russian River, the Lost Abbey, Bell's etc. I could never stick to the one beer! Probably just as well I don't live over there!

I've never been a beer advocate before, just stuck to the Henieken but a recent trip to America has opened my eyes to the possibilities. If any of yous are ever in Boston, you have to try this guy CBC Sgt Peppers. My mouth is watering as I type.

I've never been a beer advocate before, just stuck to the Henieken but a recent trip to America has opened my eyes to the possibilities. If any of yous are ever in Boston, you have to try this guy CBC Sgt Peppers. My mouth is watering as I type.
    You should try the Trouble Brewing Lazy Sunday Saison. Same style of beer, just made a little closer to home. Is 6+℅ though, so not a good beer mile candidate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Have you tried Bo Bristle? There IPA is very tasty. Saint Mels is another new Irish beer well worth sampling to.

• Advertisement

You should try the Trouble Brewing Lazy Sunday Saison. Same style of beer, just made a little closer to home. Is 6+℅ though, so not a good beer mile candidate!

Will do. Thanks for that. I was just looking up if you could get here but I knew it would be a bit of a long shot.

Advertisement