Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tang1 wrote: »
    Have you tried Bo Bristle? There IPA is very tasty. Saint Mels is another new Irish beer well worth sampling to.

I've had Bo Bristle a few times, but I've gotten a bit tired of the hop-bomb IPAs of late. Having said that, I ordered a tankard of Galway Hooker in a pub in Athlone last night. €7.50 for 2.5 pints of a really decent craft beer was just too good to pass up. Well, I am on my holidays!

Have been on holidays for the last two weeks, and it's just too difficult to update the training log on an Android tablet, so I took a break from the log too.

3rd - 10th August:
    Visited the Algarve with the family for a week, where the temperatures were a warm but manageable 26-29'C. Still in the runnable range, but outside of the 'session' range for me, so lots of easy runs along the coast, occasionally paddling back in the sea. I always had the best of intentions to get out early in the morning, but invariably ended up heading out at the hottest part of the day.
    Sunday: 10 Miles easy
    Monday: 9 Miles easy
    Tuesday: 15.5 Miles easy
    Wednesday: 11 Miles easy
    Thursday: <upset stomach - no running> - 3 hours sea kayaking
    Friday: 10 Miles easy
    Saturday: 12 Miles easy
    Sunday: 15 Miles easy
    So a pretty decent 73 miles for the week (84 miles for the 8 days abroad), which is a good outcome for a hot holiday week.
    Summary: 73 mile suntan.

11th - 17th August:
    Back on the 'ol turf, but with 5 days down in Roscommon, plan was to step the mileage back up in a reasonable fashion (50 -> 70 -> 90). Towards the end of the week, I realized that I was in a position to comfortably hit the 100 mile mark, and thus swap around this week's target, which has a couple of bruising sessions.

Monday: 14 mile hilly trail run around Bray Head. A little too much (particularly given the terrain), with a hard session the next day.

Tuesday: JDA: 2.5 E + 4 x 1M @T + 1 hour easy + 5K @T + 2/5E
    Timing of this session probably wasn't so good after two weeks with no quality running (nothing marathon paced or faster), so a 21 mile session with 7+ miles at tempo pace was going to be a tall order. The 4 x 1 mile section went fine with most of the 1600 sections coming in close to plan (5:27, 5:27, 5:30, 5:27). I found the 1 hour of easy paced running pretty tough. I got very hungry during the 8.2 miles section, and sipping on the 500ml bottle of water I'd picked up, did little to satisfy my hunger. I ditched the splits for the second outing on the cinder track, and completed the 12.5 laps (5k) in 17:44 (35 seconds slower than plan). Not a bad outcome after my two previous weeks of easy mileage.
    Summary: 21.3 miles in 2:24, @6:47 (including rests)

Wednesday: 9 mile recovery run around the Roscommon bothrins. Followed up with a couple of hours of surfing down in Strandhill (decent core workout). Having never visited these parts previously, I was impressed by the local hill, which I figured must be the climb portion of the Warriors run. While I didn't get a spot in the race this year (and am signed up for a different race this weekend) I'd love to have had the time to do a 'recce, cos I'll definitely get my name in at some point. Looks like a cracking route.

Thursday: 10 miles easy
    Another easy loop around the bothrins in Roscommon.

Friday: 2 Miles Easy + 4 x 1 mile @T + 5 mins easy + 3 x 1 Mile @T + 2 Miles easy
    After the difficulty of Tuesday's session (which left me hanging for the rest of the day), I was a little nervous about this one, as I didn't have access to my usual track. At the 10 mil race a couple of weeks back, one of the other runners had idly mentioned a track in the nearby town of Lanesborough, so after a bit of searching, I located something, that from 10,000 feet (google maps) looked a little like a cinder track. Reassured that I'd have no problems with gaining access, I headed down and quickly located the track, complete with around 40 young lads doing community-games type activities. Thankfully they were largely using the track as a base for a 'tip the can' type game, so either disappeared into the nearest hedge, or stared at me dumb-founded, as I flaked by on my 32+ laps. On my 6th mile rep though, a young lad (maybe two feet tall), stumbled backwards off the grass directly into my trajectory, and I almost ran into him full force, managing at the last second to grab him with two hands and lift him off the ground, before safely depositing him safely back on the grass (unharmed but a little shell shocked!). Strangely, despite having to come to an abrupt halt, it was among the faster of my splits, as I worked hard to get the time back into line.

Certainly a faster cinder track than I'm used to (less gravel, more concrete) which might explain why the splits where a little quicker than normal. I had previously walked slowly around the track to make sure it was 400m, and arriving back at the start with .26 miles showing on the watch, I satisfied myself that it was close enough for any potential shortcoming to be negligible. A second decent session that gave me a confidence boost after a couple of easy weeks.

1600m target: 5:28
    1600m actual: 5:24/5:28/5:26/5:25 <5 mins easy> 5:28 / 5:26 / 5:24
    Summary: 10.46 miles @6:21/mile + 2.6 miles warm-up

Saturday: 12 mile easy/recovery

Sunday: 20.5 miles easy
    Bit of a dirty hangover and was well dehydrated heading off on my big loop. I'd planned on stopping in the nearby town of Knockrockery after 12-13 miles for a drink, however, the only shop in the village seemed to have closed down. The local pub and clay pub museum didn't offer any liquid solace at that hour of the day, so I continued on my thirsty way. With a big hill climb and the sun beating down, I was hitting meltdown thirst proportions, so stopped to grab a handful of ripe blackberries (taking just a moment to shoo away the bluebottle flies that hovered disconcertingly around the cherished fruit). Much revived, I continued the climb and was rewarded for my efforts by a cold shower of rain that left me shivering for the rest of my dirty miles. Not the most rewarding run I've ever done, but with two good sessions and a 100 miles in the bag, I was satisfied that I'd done enough to make it a damn fine week of training. Holidays are over now, so back on the wagon.
    Summary: 20.5 miles in 2:28, @7:13/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Blackberries, excellent!

Blackberries, excellent!
    They seem abundant in this part of the world. I could have eaten my fill, but was put off by the number of bluebottles. Paleo running nutrition?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Ah now he is back! Nice tempo fella like the config. Is it 5 minutes between reps?

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Ah now he is back! Nice tempo fella like the config. Is it 5 minutes between reps?
    Nope. It's 1 minute rest between reps, however, the first session had an hour of easy running (equated to 8.3 miles) between the first and second set of reps (which serves to further tire you out). The second session had 5 minutes easy running between the first and second set, which was a little more restive.

Holly Molly! I'm doing a 2 x 2 miles @ T (5:40) with 5 min easy between reps + 2 x 1 mile with 2 mins easy between reps. So will think of your session if I moan tomorrow!

Holly Molly! I'm doing a 2 x 2 miles @ T (5:40) with 5 min easy between reps + 2 x 1 mile with 2 mins easy between reps. So will think of your session if I moan tomorrow!
    Interesting. What is your 'T' value of 5:40 based on? Is it your recent 1500m?

Interesting. What is your 'T' value of 5:40 based on? Is it your recent 1500m?

My 1500 was 4:26 so mile would be around 4:47. McMillian say my tempo is at highest 5:38 based on the 1500 time :)

If I don't hit session tomorrow or not able to walk away and train for the remaining week I will look at it again. I'm having fun and hit the 1 x 2 and 2 x 1 last week.

• Advertisement

My 1500 was 4:26 so mile would be around 4:47. McMillian say my tempo is at highest 5:38 based on the 1500 time :)

If I don't hit session tomorrow or not able to walk away and train for the remaining week I will look at it again. I'm having fun and hit the 1 x 2 and 2 x 1 last week.
    Isn't that faster than your current 5k pace? Seems to be a bit of a disconnect there. Either you're running your tempos too fast, or you are under-performing at the 5k distance. Probably time to start thinking of committing to the shorter distances, as it's where your strengths appear to lie.

Isn't that faster than your current 5k pace? Seems to be a bit of a disconnect there. Either you're running your tempos too fast, or you are under-performing at the 5k distance. Probably time to start thinking of committing to the shorter distances, as it's where your strengths appear to lie.

Last 5 k pace is 5:47 but my coach thinks I'm under performing and is why we are experimenting with middle distance! I really enjoyed the 1500 but I love the 5k more but need to grow a pair!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭FrClintPower

You should try the Trouble Brewing Lazy Sunday Saison. Same style of beer, just made a little closer to home. Is 6+℅ though, so not a good beer mile candidate!

Had this at the Big Grill Festival on Saturday - two thumbs up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi KC,

Where's the track in Lanesboro?

I'm house sitting down there for 3 weeks next month and it would make life a lot easier for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Wednesday: 9 mile recovery run around the Roscommon bothrins. Followed up with a couple of hours of surfing down in Strandhill (decent core workout). Having never visited these parts previously, I was impressed by the local hill, which I figured must be the climb portion of the Warriors run. While I didn't get a spot in the race this year (and am signed up for a different race this weekend) I'd love to have had the time to do a 'recce, cos I'll definitely get my name in at some point. Looks like a cracking route.

Some savage sessions there Krusty, so early in the training cycle.

That was the back of Knocknarea you saw in Strandhill alright.
    Warriors race starts and finishes at the seafront, goes around the hill, off-road to go up the (south?) side and down another path (east?). You could do serious damage there. Getting an entry will be the hard bit.

pointer28 wrote: »
    Hi KC,

Where's the track in Lanesboro?

I'm house sitting down there for 3 weeks next month and it would make life a lot easier for me.
    Hi pointer28, it's at the back of the community college. You should be able to see the track from this side-road and here's an overhead view. If you're not there for a couple more weeks then schools may be back in force, and you'd likely need to time your training so that it doesn't co-incide with school hours. It's pretty bare (from a cinder/grit perspective), which makes it a tough (but fast) surface). Hope that helps!

dna_leri wrote: »
    Some savage sessions there Krusty, so early in the training cycle.

That was the back of Knocknarea you saw in Strandhill alright.
    Warriors race starts and finishes at the seafront, goes around the hill, off-road to go up the (south?) side and down another path (east?). You could do serious damage there. Getting an entry will be the hard bit.
    Cheers. Didn't get to see the other side of the hill, but looked pretty challenging from the 'beach-side'. I think I'll just have to commit to it next year, whether I get a place or not and then vie for a spot with the last minute transfers. Dunno how I'd fare against those mountain men, but it has always struck me as one of those 'must do' races. I take it it's not on your calendar?

Cheers. Didn't get to see the other side of the hill, but looked pretty challenging from the 'beach-side'. I think I'll just have to commit to it next year, whether I get a place or not and then vie for a spot with the last minute transfers. Dunno how I'd fare against those mountain men, but it has always struck me as one of those 'must do' races. I take it it's not on your calendar?

Based on your time from Roscommon against the Shligo lads I'd guess you would be around 3rd or 4th in the Warriors but on the day, who knows.

I did it back in 2011 and have been tempted to go again for the O45 prize (there is no O40) but wisdom has prevailed so far.

Did you drop in to see the craic at the Fleadh while you were up west?

Did you drop in to see the craic at the Fleadh while you were up west?
    Nah, unfortunately it was an out and back trip to Sligeach, but now that I know it's only an hour up the road from Roscommon, I'll definitely visit more freqently, particularly for the surfing.

Monday: 7.3 miles + 9 miles easy
    Tuesday: 9 miles + 5 miles easy

Wednesday: JDA: 2 x (3 Miles @T w/3 mins rest) + (2 Miles @T) + 6 Miles warm-up/down

Bit of a disappointing week so far, as I came to terms with the fact that I would have to choose between having a final stab at the 400m at the graded meets, or running a much-needed marathon session. I came tantalizingly close to my sub-60 400m target (60.19), but realistically, I have done absolutely nothing since then that would lead me to believe that I might improve on that time. In fact, as the focus has shifted towards the marathon, the emphasis has moved to tempo/threshold running, and further away from a sub-60 400m. At the same time, I'm feeling that I'm performing well below the goal/standard I have set for myself for the marathon, so the decision was a straightforward one, if a little heavy-hearted. The goal for the year has been the marathon, and everything else along the way has been either a building block or an enjoyable distraction.

I haven't slept properly for weeks at this point (part stress, part jet-lag, part noise, part holidays), and woke up feeling extremely tired and quite pessimistic. I carried this mood with me to the track, where the thought of 3@T + 3@T + 2@T filled me with a little dread. The goal (as usual) was to hit each 1600m split in around 5:30. I fell well-short of that goal, but was close enough that I'm not quite yet ready to start reconsidering my marathon target.

3 Miles warm-up @7:15/mile
    3 Miles Tempo @5:37/mile in 16:46
    <3 mins rest>
    3 Miles Tempo @5:36/mile in 16:42
    <3 mins rest>
    2 Miles Tempo @5:44/mile in 11:25
    3+ Miles cool-down @8 min/mile

I was completely shagged after the second tempo section and a little nauseous. I was considering all forms of escape to get me out of the final 2 mile tempo, but in the end just resigned myself to putting the head down, and counting down the laps. I ignored the splits and kept the pace on just the right side of nausea. While the splits are a good chunk quicker than when I ran this session exactly a year ago (approx 10 seconds per mile), it didn't fill me with the usual post-session warm fuzzy feeling. Over-riding feeling is of being behind target, with time running out. Well, I have a 13 mile marathon-paced session this weekend, which should serve as a really good indicator of where I am.
    Summary: ~15 miles in ~1:39, @~6:30/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

... but it has always struck me as one of those 'must do' races.

Mightn't be too late yet, think there was a few transfers available earlier. Only a few hours left before the deadline as far as I know though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

massive PBs in 5k, substantial PB over 10 miles a few weeks ago, and ten zillion miles run this year... I reckon your marathon training isn't too far off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    massive PBs in 5k, substantial PB over 10 miles a few weeks ago, and ten zillion miles run this year... I reckon your marathon training isn't too far off!

+1 and if T pace is supposed to be akin to 10 mile pace (for a man of your speed), surely today's splits were spot on?

neilc wrote: »
    Mightn't be too late yet, think there was a few transfers available earlier. Only a few hours left before the deadline as far as I know though.
    Cheers, but I've already signed up for another race. Instead, I'll be running Longford Half marathon as a marathon-paced session. Ironically, if it goes to plan, it'll be close enough to my HM PB, but the plan is only to run marathon pace, and try and race a half marathon in a few weeks time.
    Ray wrote:
    Cheers Ray. Certainly feel that I'm still on plan for a PB, but I'm hoping it'll have been worth the investment in training and miles.
    Meno wrote:
    +1 and if T pace is supposed to be akin to 10 mile pace (for a man of your speed), surely today's splits were spot on?
    Fair point, but I wasn't running to my potential in the 10 mile (hadn't trained for the distance and ran a very controlled race). It may prove to be an aspirational goal/threshold pace, but there's still time to figure that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Fair point, but I wasn't running to my potential in the 10 mile (hadn't trained for the distance and ran a very controlled race). It may prove to be an aspirational goal/threshold pace, but there's still time to figure that out.

You always out perform your other times over Marathon distance (the male claralara) I trust you'll do the same again.

Thursday: 8.7 + 7.5 miles easy-> steady
    First run was supposed to be a recovery run, after Wednesday's tough session, but felt ok, and the quicker than recovery numbers suggest I repaired well. Headed out for five miles in the evening, but ended up staying out for 7.5 miles over a hilly loop and finishing with some steady miles, which was a bit dumb the day after a session.

Friday: 6 miles recovery
    Paid the price for the previous evenings fast miles, with stiff legs and tight muscles. Supposed to do some strides, but legs were just too sore.

Saturday: 5 miles with strides
    Easing back a little for Sunday's session.

Sunday: Longford Half marathon @MP
    Goals for the race were:
    1. Run the entire thing at marathon pace (target 5:50/mile).
    2. Try and get a sneaky minor PB
    3. Get a podium spot if it was there for the taking

I find that running a half marathon at mp is probably a little too easy (when compared to doing it solo), to really count as a 13 mile marathon-paced session, but I've recently been feeling that I'm a little behind, so could do with the extra help. I ran this same race last year at MP, and finished fifth, so I figured that if I was targeting 1:16:00, it might move me up the ranks a little, but it all depends on who turns up on the day. 90 minute early morning drive to Longford and had plenty time to tick off 2.5 miles warm-up. Good to bump into Dublin Runner, Oisin, Aimman, yaboya, BitterLemon and the glamour couple. Always makes races that much more chillaxed when you know a few friendly faces about the place.

At 10am sharp, we were off, and though I started 50-100 people back, I soon weaved my way through the runners and moved close to the front. I learned from last year's mistake that it's better to count the runners ahead of you before they disappear into the distance, so I closed the distance on the front-runners, and found that I was in seventh, before the full and half marathon courses split into different directions. I saw Freddy and Gary O'H up ahead (both doing the marathon), so figured I was in at least 5th spot. Early pace was comfortable enough, and the first couple of miles ticked off in 5:46 and 5:43.

Got chatting to a couple of runners as we headed back through Longford town. First guy was targeting 2:36 for the marathon. Second guy had never run a marathon before, but usually headed out for a 20 mile run at the weekend, so figured he'd give it a pop. Given that we were averaging around 5:45/mile, I felt it might be prudent to ask him what pace he usually ran his 20 mile runs at, just in case he was over-doing it. When he answered 6:10/mile, I figured he'd be grand. More on this guy later.....

We hit the branch off point, and I bid good luck to the two marathon runners, who in turn wished me the best of good fortune. Time to count how many runners were ahead in my race. I could see Philip Harty disappearing into the distance (probably 500m ahead at this point) and a blue-singleted runner approximately 150m ahead. That was it. I was in third place. I was a little surprised, as the standard is typically better than this. Perhaps the Frank Duffy 10 mile sucked up all the good runners? This changed the dynamic a little, as a podium in Longford would be a great result. No point thinking about it though. Primary plan was to average 5:50, so if that found me in 3rd, I'd be well happy. Later in the race, if I lost a spot, I could make a decision at that point what I might do. Mile 3: 5:52.

We were now out in the countryside, with just myself and the blue-singleted runner ahead visible on the stretch of road. Every once in a while we'd get passed by a car, which turned out to be Michelle McGee's entourage. I had drawn close enough to the runner ahead that I could now make out the Longford AC writing on his singlet. True enough, at every junction he got a hearty cheer. Never nice to take on a local chap, as they know the road better than anyone else, and get the most encouragement, but bit by bit, the distance was closing (mile 4: 5:53), and as we emerged out on the major road once more, I drew level and soon overtook him. His breathing was pretty heavy, which is never a good sign at mile 5 (5:47), so I secretly hoped I wouldn't see him again until after the finish line. I was now in second place. :eek:

Out on the major road, we once again rejoined the full marathon distance runners, though this time we closed on the back of the field and had to make our way through the throngs, which demanded a bit of weaving and running on the main road (amid the Mayo fans headed for Croker). Thankfully one of the be-cycled officials picked me out, and cleaved a path ahead of me, urging the full marathoners to keep in, to give us a bit of space. I decided to take the opportunity to make as big a gap as I could from the Longford runner, selfishly hoping he didn't also have a bicycle to chase along the national road. Mile 6: 5:47. Eventually, the Half-marathon route once again split off from the marathon route, and I had to regretfully say goodbye to my two-wheeled friend. I continued to work on the gap, while keeping my average pace (now 5:48) within acceptable marathon pace bounds. Mile 7: 5:44.

Soon after, I hit a couple of short climbs that increased the effort levels and had an impact on pace (mile 8: 5:56). I took a glance backwards and was dismayed to see a runner about 200m behind in a red singlet. I'd have been happier if it was the Longford runner, but a red singlet meant that someone else was within tracking distance and may be closing on me. Who could it be? I thought I remembered seeing Michelle McGee in a red singlet, and suddenly there was a lump in my throat. She's in great shape, but is she in 1:16 shape? At least it wouldn't impact the final podium standings, but I could see TRR signing up for a new boards account, just to get the digs in. :) I started counting the gaps between clapping at the water-stations, and the distance didn't seem to be narrowing.

Miles 9 and 10 were rather lumpy, and took a toll on the average pace (5:53 and 5:56), which was back at 5:50. Worse was the growing side-stitch. Yes, that side-stitch. The same one that robbed me of a minute in Dublin marathon and has cost me a couple of places in a few races. As usual, I did everything I could, including massage, changing stride pattern, breathing pattern, and stretching my neck off to the left and right in an effort to stretch whatever was causing the growing pain. Something eventually worked as gradually the pain receded. Mile 11 was a lacklustre 5:55.

Soon after that I was back out on the national road, and with a dawning realization that I was in second place in the Longford half-marathon, the pace picked up a little as I headed for home. Mile 12: 5:44. Final mile back into town saw me clawing back some of the lost time on the lumpy hills, as I knocked out a 5:36. Saw the clock ahead ticking off 1:15:35, so picked up the pace to guarantee the minor PB, finishing in 1:15:56 (for a whopping 8 second PB!). Hung around and got a quick massage, and some lovely treatment from the nice First aid folks (nice cool facecloth), before meeting up with Dublin runner and Yaboya for a couple of cool-down miles. The MC had said that the awards ceremony for the half marathon was at 12:45, but as it turned out, his watch was wrong, so returning from my five mile leg loosener, I missed it completely. :o

That runner who was out for an elongated Sunday run? Finished in 3rd place in 2:32 in his first ever marathon. Puts my performance into perspective! Still, I was happy with the outcome. Ticked off all my goals. Effort was a little higher than it should be (particularly over the hillier miles), but the last few quick miles suggested that there was still something in the tank, so I'll plough ever onwards.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:15:56, @5:49/mile + warm up/down = ~20 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great run! (she was two and a half minutes back)

Boring, boring, boring.
    Not feeling the best during the week, starts off ok, fades a bit in the middle and comes back with a podium position and a PB. It's a bit like an X-Factor performance. :rolleyes:

Oh yah, well done.

BTW your 2:32 marathon runner might have been under-selling himself a bit. He is a regular 10K winner around these parts in c32mins. With the right preparation he should be up there with Gary H and Freddy, or ahead.

Boring, boring, boring.
    Not feeling the best during the week, starts off ok, fades a bit in the middle and comes back with a podium position and a PB. It's a bit like an X-Factor performance. :rolleyes:
    BTW your 2:32 marathon runner might have been under-selling himself a bit. He is a regular 10K winner around these parts in c32mins. With the right preparation he should be up there with Gary H and Freddy, or ahead.
    Yeah, it definitely seems that way. Every week seems a little like a mini-soap opera. Too much drama, not enough running. :)

Funny you mention that about the 2:32 guy. During the conversation between the three of us, one of the lads asked me my name. 2:32 guy recognized my name from the Roscommon 10 mile and said something about 'putting the Sligo lads in their place', which was something you'd said previously in this thread. Do you run with him sometimes? Reckon he has some memorable times ahead, if he makes the commitment. Some runner.

RayCun wrote: »
    Great run! (she was two and a half minutes back)
    As it happens, it wasn't Michelle. It was the guy who came 3rd. There's a section during the race where you do a quick turn-about around some cones (triathlon run-style) and you get to see all the folks who are within a minute of you, up close and personal and the red singlet belonged to a lad from Cavan (if memory serves). Fair dues to Miss McGee. She ran 1:25 last year and improved by 7 minutes in a year (over the half marathon distance). At that rate of improvement, she'll be national marathon champion in 2015 (if she wants it) and I'll be chasing in her wake from mile 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Super stuff as usual today Krusty.
    Ze Germans better watch out in October :pac:

Advertisement