Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm mostly taking tomorrow off, and need it too! Swimming lessons start back tomorrow, so I'll do that instead. My youngest has started throwing up though, and I'm not feeling 100% either, so hopefully she'll get over it quickly, and I won't pick it up. As long as it's just a brief bug, and not the illness whose name shall not be spoken. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Indeed, well an easy afternoon for all in the KC house. Was considering the cinema tonight but after a tough run (and a lowered immune system) I'm having a Howard Hughes day, (just waiting for Cate Blanchett to arrive).

LOL. I'm watching Das Boot. In an 80s classic mood. Dinners ready to go into the oven, waiting on Mrs Clown to finish her 11 mile run (furthest she'll ever have run). Definitely a lazy day.

I've been to the cinema a lot recently (instead of the pub!). District 9 was great, one of the top movies of the year, but I actually enjoyed Inglorious Basterds even more. A Tarantino classic if you like that kind of thing. Full of over-acting, and over-elaborate script, but great fun.

DIVE DIVE DIVE !!!

Aye, Christoph Waltz really steals the whole thing as the Nazi you love to hate (to love ?).

Might go along to District 9 tonight after all. Mrs Cogs is at EP so I'm free to watch aliens on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Today: 10k time trial. ....... The uphill loop into Cherrywood nearly killed me with the wind, but I struggled on. Back onto another downhill into Rathsallagh, and I was wrecked. .....happy with my time of 38:12.....

Great running KC. Pretty sure we drove past you on the Ballybride Road on Friday night - were you in a dark longsleeve top and earphones? I was thinking it looked a bit fast for someone out on a Friday night jog.

P.s. Almost didn't see you on the road when we were driving round the bend. A brighter top would be a good idea..:)

• Advertisement

Thanks! Did I look like a blur as I streaked past you? Unfortunately, I don't think it was me, as I did my run at 6:30pm, in daylight (for a change!), and was wearing a short-sleeve red/blue/white top (I think!). *Edit*: Actually, I did wear a long-sleeve dark top. But it was definitely day-light!

Thanks! Did I look like a blur as I streaked past you? Unfortunately, I don't think it was me, as I did my run at 6:30pm, in daylight (for a change!), and was wearing a short-sleeve red/blue/white top (I think!). *Edit*: Actually, I did wear a long-sleeve dark top. But it was definitely day-light!

You're right it was daylight but I passed you on the one dark part of the road which is heavily overshadowed by trees so the least you could have done was pull on a high viz vest for that 200m stretch....:pac:

You were actually travelling at warpspeed though (aka sub-40mins 10k pace) - I only saw you in the rear view mirror once you had passed..:D

rigal wrote: »
    ...dark part of the road which is heavily overshadowed by trees so the least you could have done was pull on a high viz vest for that 200m stretch....
    I could just run in the middle of the road. :)

Tonight: 50 minute swim. I got promoted, so must be making some kind of progress. Some leg cramps, but I expect that's because I haven't done much proper swimming for the last 6/7 weeks. Calf and hip a little sore from recent running, but hopefully just niggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

great result on the time trial , i think it was round this time last year at donadea you were 30sec ahead of me at 43min , now 5 mins faster for 10k :eek: and possibly more under actual race conditions , fantastic , look forward to seeing how you get on in berlin :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

Hey KC where did that 38 mins come out of eh? Fair play thats flying, you will be in 37 min territory soon! Also good work on the swimming... :D

• Advertisement

That's not much of a day out there. Are you getting out for your 7 aerobic w/strides ?

Thanks Seres, but I won't count it as 5 minutes faster just yet, until I have done it in race conditions, but I suppose there are certain advantages to the race environment, such as not having to hurdle gates, dodge smoking teenagers, skip around dog-poop, and you have some kind of finish line to aim for. So hopefully I'll get to run a proper one soon and can then wear my sub-40 badge with pride. (We do get a badge, right? I'll settle for a tiara).

I must check back on my records, but it looks like I'm cutting 5 minutes a year off my 10k time. I expect to run-away with the Irish and World record 10k times in 2012. Unfortunately I'm not sure that the AAI will accept a down-hill course for record purposes (note to self - must find a 10k down-hill slope for 2012).

MCOS wrote: »
    Hey KC where did that 38 mins come out of eh? Fair play thats flying, you will be in 37 min territory soon! Also good work on the swimming... :D
    It cam out of 1,300 miles of marathon training, a girl on a bike, and a nice down-hill route. :)

That's not much of a day out there. Are you getting out for your 7 aerobic w/strides ?
    It's not a case of 'if' it's a case of 'when'. My calf is still rock solid though, so I reckon it'll be on the grass in Shanganagh this evening. Those 1 mile intervals tomorrow should be pretty easy in comparison to the weekend's 10k runs. I was a little bit worried about doing mile intervals, but in relative terms, they should now be quite manageable.

BTW: I'm picking up Mithril's race number on Friday as well. I think he may be on your flight, and also be on for approximately the same target.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

love your log, always so funny , whats the REAL target for your marathon , secretly sub 3 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

It cam out of 1,300 miles of marathon training, a girl on a bike, and a nice down-hill route. :)

ah those downhills! I did sub 40 on a mountain run recently

going up 5km 24'
    going down 5km 15'45" !! eyeballs out it was!

Thanks, but no. There's no secret sub-3. Not even a deep-down tell-no-one, don't even want to think about it, secret sub-3 target. All my training runs (tempos, intervals, PMP runs) were based on a target of 3:05. 5 Minutes doesn't sounds like a big difference, particularly when spread over 26 miles, but it's still 15 seconds for every mile, and it's the difference in heart rate over those 15 seconds that would ultimately be the race-killer.

But....
    The plan is to get as close as possible to three hours.. So like I posted in Ike's thread, I'd like to:
    Run the first 15 miles at pmp.
    Pick up the pace for the next 5 (if i can!)
    Pick up the pace again for the next 5 (again, if the indicators are there).
    Finally, give it all for the last 1.3 miles. In the race photos, I want to be throwing up as I cross the finish line. I've seen the Kenyans do it, and they're really fast.

Tonight: Awful 7 mile aerobic run with 8x100m strides. Riddled with stomach cramps, so after cresting the hill at the back of Carrigologan, couldn't get any speed up, because of the abdominal pain. Calf is getting tighter too. Might warrant a visit to the physio. They can't all be good runs. :(

Summary: 7 Hilly miles in 53 mins, @7:40min/mile, HR=140.

Tonight: Awful 7 mile aerobic run.... so after cresting the hill at the back of Carrigologan, couldn't get any speed up... Calf is getting tighter too.

Maybe give the hills a break for a while? :confused: Just a suggestion as they can't be doing the calf any good if it's tight.

Tonight: Awful 7 mile aerobic run with 8x100m strides. Riddled with stomach cramps, so after cresting the hill at the back of Carrigologan, couldn't get any speed up, because of the abdominal pain. Calf is getting tighter too. Might warrant a visit to the physio. They can't all be good runs. :(

Summary: 7 Hilly miles in 53 mins, @7:40min/mile, HR=140.

Could be time to go ultra-taper and just maintain fitness in the pool or on the bike. Let the physio worry about your calf.

• Advertisement

Yep, that was the last hilly run (it's kind of difficult to avoid them where I live, without repeated runs up and down the N11 (which I will avoid at any cost). Also, the hills provide a good aerobic work-out without the need for great speed. But they're done for now (until October!).

I'm not quite ready for the ultra taper just yet. I used the foam roller this morning, and it seems to have helped. Will see how today's 8 miles with intervals goes. Did you do this session already Rusty?

Nope, even I draw the line at speed sessions before breakfast. Meetings 'till 8pm so it will be my first truely night time run of the Autumn.

Today: 8 Miles with 3x1,600m intervals @4K pace with 120 sec jog
    Felt a little stiff starting off, but by the time I got to the park for the intervals, I was feeling good. I found the intervals surprisingly comfortable. It's great to see the logical progression of a structured plan, as running 6min/mile becomes more and more comfortable over the 12 weeks of the training program.

Intervals were: 6:02 / 5:54 / 5:58

So, the last interval session for quite a while completed. Physio session tomorrow, to work on the calf and hip niggles. The count-down is on.

Summary: 8 miles in 59 minutes, @7:22/mile. Average HR=147.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Hey, did you get that session off of a specific programme? If so, did it say anything else about the session and its purpose? Sounds like a tough one, great to be feeling strong on it.

Hi CFitz, it's part of the Pfitzinger and Douglas Advanced marathoning program, and is a segment of the Vo2max training. Typical progression would be:
    <snip> (Sorry, I don't have the earlier sessions in my calendar.)
    8 Miles w/5x600@5K pace - jog 90
    10 Miles w/4x1200@5K pace - jog 120 seconds
    8 Miles w/5x600@5K pace - jog 90
    8 Miles w/3x1,600@5K pace - jog 120 seconds (this is 1.5 weeks before the marathon target).

In the early stages of the program I was struggling with the 600s at 6:09 pace, but these days mile repeats at sub-6 are pretty comfortable, so the pattern definitely works to build speed into the marathon program.

I agree with KC (we're following the same plan). Went out late last night to do this session. It wouldn't have been long ago that I would have looked at 5'57 mile intervals with dread and forboding but last night I was zipping along (not without some effort I'll add) passing random runners who I imagine (as I've been in their shoes) where thinking 'who's this punter ?'.

I looked down at the Garmin at one point and my lap pace showed 5'11". Although it was just a patch of an interval it does give you a high. Then you realise that's the pace Paula Radcliffe runs the whole 26.2 and you realise your mortality.

I would have looked at 5'57 mile intervals with dread
    Damn. I averaged 5'58. At every opportunity you thwart me. Vengeance will be mine, when I run the Berlin marathon with two numbers, Krusty on the front, and Rusty on the back. :D

Well done. You must be feeling pretty confident after that session.

Damn. I averaged 5'58. At every opportunity you thwart me. Vengeance will be mine, when I run the Berlin marathon with two numbers, Krusty on the front, and Rusty on the back. :D

Well done. You must be feeling pretty confident after that session.

Ah now my goal pace was 5'57". I didn't say that that's what I ran at. I've yet to download that run, may have been slower, may have been faster ;)

And if I'm going sub 3' I'll be happy to see myself pass myself come the end :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭cfitz

Today: 8 Miles with 3x1,600m intervals @4K pace with 120 sec jog

Oh ok, so this was meant to say @5k pace? That makes a bit more sense alright.

• Advertisement

cfitz wrote: »
    Oh ok, so this was meant to say @5k pace? That makes a bit more sense alright.
    Haha! you spotted my deliberate typo. You win a pair of my old Mizuno Waveriders.

Advertisement