Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Outstanding KC. Delighted all the hard work going all the way back to the 5k stuff in the spring was properly rewarded. Super report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Tremendous achievement and read. I knew you when you were a slower chap. You've come a long way since. Kudos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭aero2k

Fantastic!

Have a bit of pity for an old man though, I was up way past my usual bedtime reading that.

Looking forward to lots more races and reports from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭Abhainn

A brilliant account Gary, and a truly great perfomance
    You have grown into a brave runner with loads of balls.
    Hats off to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Great stuff Gary - really like the way you refuse to plateau and keep pushing on. very admirable approach to running and life in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Brilliant run, and a great report

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Special mention goes to the formatting - subtitles, paragraph breaks, this report had the lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭overpronator

I can't add much to what's already been said but huge congratulations Krusty, ill never cease to be astounded by what I read in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

(Insert more superlatives here)

Inspirational stuff Krusty, just rewards for all the hard work you put in

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Can't add anything that hasn't already been said- that was one seriously good race, matched by an equally inspiring report. Well fupping done sir!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Congrats Gary on a fantastic well judged race, such an impressive finish. From the comments it's obvious you are an inspiration to many here, myself included and I look forward to following your next challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

I'm just trying to comprehend running a 1:17 half marathon after already completing 13.1 miles :eek::eek:......the rags to riches story continues. Thanks for sharing with such detail and eloquence.

I presume the back held up and didn't give you any trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Congrats, great run, great writing! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

Fantastic stuff - can't add anything more that hasn't been said already. Really enjoyed the report too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

RayCun wrote: »
    Special mention goes to the formatting - subtitles, paragraph breaks, this report had the lot!
    Cheers. I started with the structure of the race report and then ran the race to match what I'd already written down (it's easier than trying to run the race and then writing the report). ;)

Thanks all for the kind words. Every time I see the word 'inspirational' I cringe a little bit and it makes me reconsider keeping a training log. Eventually, everything dies down, and I'm happy again. I know I write the race reports in 'hero-style', but that's more because I enjoy trying to capture some of the excitement I felt during the race and I'll be honest, I enjoy writing. But as those who know me will testify, inspirational I am not. There aren't many who have kept a consistent training log from their first foray in the marathon, right through to today, tracking their progress along the way, so this log stands out a little more than it should. If there's to be praise, it should be for consistency in tracking and documenting one's training (the log will be 6 years old on Monday!), and that's more down to routine, and an enjoyment of writing.

In terms of running achievements, we are surrounded by better runners, whose achievements go largely unnoticed, because they don't feel the need to write everything down and share it 'hero-style'. There's nothing special about what I've done and it's not anything out of reach for anyone else, if they've got the kind of mindset to just keep chipping away. So thanks again for all the kind words. The fact that someone enjoyed the report means a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thanks all for the kind words. Every time I see the word 'inspirational' I cringe a little bit and it makes me reconsider keeping a training log. Eventually, everything dies down, and I'm happy again. I know I write the race reports in 'hero-style', but that's more because I enjoy trying to capture some of the excitement I felt during the race and I'll be honest, I enjoy writing. But as those who know me will testify, inspirational I am not. There aren't many who have kept a consistent training log from their first foray in the marathon, right through to today, tracking their progress along the way, so this log stands out a little more than it should. If there's to be praise, it should be for consistency in tracking and documenting one's training (the log will be 6 years old on Monday!), and that's more down to routine, and an enjoyment of writing.

I agree the term "inspirational" can be a bit OTT (though obviously meant in good nature), but I think it comes from the fact that it shows how far the average person can get in this sport through hard work, dedication and perhaps most importantly a love for it. A lot of people throw up barriers to what they can achieve. Lots of people think "oh I could never run under 3 hours" or whatever. So in that regard this log would have to be inspiring as it tracks, in one place, over a significant period of time, where you have come from, and where you are now, and so shows others that it can be done, and that they should aim higher. So I would assume the "inspirational" thing comes from this, rather than the performance in an absolute sense, as there of course are people running up to 30 minutes quicker. That's the good thing about this sport. No matter how good one gets, there's always somebody to chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

+1. Regardless of the semantics used to describe your performance, the point is that your consistent training and performances encourage a lot more people to think "big" because so many set themselves mediocre limits. Looking back how far you've come since the start of this log makes myself (and possibly others) believe I can do it and that's something to be proud of, not something to cringe about, unless you really want to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Great run in the marathon, so have u forgotten about Athlone now ?

Great run in the marathon, so have u forgotten about Athlone now ?
    I had until just now. :)
    Cleanman wrote:
    I presume the back held up and didn't give you any trouble?
    Back didn't give me any trouble at all. In fact, I'd even gone back and completed a couple of easy rock-climbing sessions in the weeks leading up to the race. I was lucky that it was just a minor herniated disc. The glutes were in spasm and gave me a bit of trouble for a week or two, but ecoli's expert ministrations helped greatly, and everything was back to normal by the third week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Cheers. I started with the structure of the race report and then ran the race to match what I'd already written down (it's easier than trying to run the race and then writing the report). ;)

In terms of running achievements, we are surrounded by better runners, whose achievements go largely unnoticed, because they don't feel the need to write everything down and share it 'hero-style'. There's nothing special about what I've done and it's not anything out of reach for anyone else, if they've got the kind of mindset to just keep chipping away. So thanks again for all the kind words. The fact that someone enjoyed the report means a lot.

There's no two ways about it, your writing style is very accessible and I'm sure that it plays a role in bringing so many back to your log but you're running isn't too bad either you know!

Like many others I do enjoy your race reports immensely. Your ability to describe what you go through is enviable. You could be writing about any sport really and I'd want to read it.

I don't imagine for a moment that a sub 2:30 marathon is outside of your capabilities. You could probably hit it in the spring if you could train full time but life's not like that and one of the interesting things about your log is reading about how you juggle work and family life along with the running.

Oh and well done on Frankfurt! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Fantastic race, and epic report as usual KC. Well done !

I was going to mention something about "from running around a football field (post #6 on your log) to running 2:35 in Frankfurt is some achievement", but you seem to have bet me to it...

Well done again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Bloody excellent, again executing a perfect race!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Totally get why you would cringe at the 'inspirational' tag. But as somebody who was left gutted and feeling like jacking it all in on Monday, reading that report does indeed inspire me to get over myself and get back on the horse. I've gone back to read your log from scratch in the past but was put off by the km's!! Must give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭DukeOfDromada

Great race and great report. As you said not many people have logs from when they started all the way through to their great achievements. That's what makes this log so good and I for one am learning from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭jfh

Clearlier wrote: »
    There's no two ways about it, your writing style is very accessible and I'm sure that it plays a role in bringing so many back to your log but you're running isn't too bad either you know!

Like many others I do enjoy your race reports immensely. Your ability to describe what you go through is enviable. You could be writing about any sport really and I'd want to read it.

I don't imagine for a moment that a sub 2:30 marathon is outside of your capabilities. You could probably hit it in the spring if you could train full time but life's not like that and one of the interesting things about your log is reading about how you juggle work and family life along with the running.

Oh and well done on Frankfurt! :D

+1 to all of this.
    this is why i always keep coming back to this log.
    it damn enjoyable, it's a nice little distraction on the phone when i'm stuck waiting somewhere.
    there was another log going here that i might have picked up more running related info but it wasn't as fun/easy to pick up as this.

your writing is inspiritional:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Ok report and a solid run but more importantly did you buy yourself a new belt :)

TbL

Ok report and a solid run but more importantly did you buy yourself a new belt :)

TbL
    I hoped to have the other Irish participants validate the acceptability of my belt, but between the drinking and the carousing, I forgot completely. The boss lady did offer to buy me a belt in the airport, but I subsequently decided that I'm attached to the belt, and they'll have to pry the belt from my cold dead waist. :p

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I hoped to have the other Irish participants validate the acceptability of my belt, but between the drinking and the carousing, I forgot completely. The boss lady did offer to buy me a belt in the airport, but I subsequently decided that I'm attached to the belt, and they'll have to pry the belt from my cold dead waist. :p

You are allowed to have more than one belt you know...I've 2 anyway!

adrian522 wrote: »
    You are allowed to have more than one belt you know...I've 2 anyway!
    I have two belts*, but they're both identical.
    (I also have more belts for my suit trousers, but I'm not bringing them into the conversation!).

On the running front:
    Nothing! Longest running break for many, many months. Yesterday, my legs were feeling great, so I felt that I was good and ready for a return to running, but the legs were feeling so good, that I figured another day or two and they'd be feeling even better. I've often returned to running far too soon after a marathon and ended up with a bag-full of niggles, but after hitting my goal (or coming damn close to it), I'm not fueled by the same anger and rage, so I'm going to try and last as long as the will-power will allow me. Heading to Madrid for the weekend with a couple of buddies to catch-up on lost drinking and relaxation time, so I figure Saturday will be a good time to strap the runners on again, and hit the Casa de Campo for a few miles. Next stop is Wicklow Senior Cross Country, but I hear rumour of a couple of new Dublin ParkRuns, so will have to schedule a visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

It was almost like running the race again reading through all that! Congrats again on a great performance.

Back in the real world again myself after the break in Germany. Keep Comrades on your radar in the next year or two!

Advertisement