Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Funny running through Foxrock, where the kids asked me was it ok if they could throw snow-balls at me. A different class of hooligan from the kids in Ballyogan!

What was your answer? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

What was your answer? :P
    I told them that if they hit me with a snowball, it would be the last snowball they would ever throw. Then I let them hit me with their snowballs. :)

Tuesday 20th: 12 miles slow
    The eternal refrain - Another crazy day in work... Plan called for 6 miles + 6 miles, but never got the chance to get out at lunch time, so figured I'd just get out in the evening and tip around for 8+ miles or whatever took my fancy. Weather was cold and pissy, and even the podcast was doing it's best to destroy the mood (45 minute instructional video on the art of juggling :confused: and I was just too dis-interested to change it). But still the miles ticked off one by one, and it was just damn nice to be not in work, so kept going until I had the 12 miles done, at a very humdrum 7:40/mile

Wednesday: Easy run with 60 x 60m sprints + 10 miles easy
    Headed to a nearby park with Keith on an uncharacteristically sunny day and jogged a few easy miles with him before settling on a straight grassy patch to do the sprints. Counted off a number of trees that looked like it was approximately 60m and launched into the sprints. These were good fun. Always good to throw caution to the wind, particularly on the forgiving grass. Paces/distances are pretty irrelevant, but it felt fast (but wasn't really!). In a rare moment of little discipline, I decided to tackle a Strava segment that Keith had mentioned to me, and gave it socks from the playground to the fence and hammered it as much as I could.... All for nothing, as the Strava segment ran in the other direction (West to East). I soon rectified the situation to my satisfaction by creating a new Strava segment to match my sprint and my smug self-approval was absolute. Take that athletic community. The gauntlet has been thrown down! Followed up in the evening with an easy 10 miles with Neal. Best thing about these sprint sessions is that as long as you're not carrying any niggles, you can get back out there for an easy run. 10 miles @7:27/mile

Thursday: 7 miles recovery + 9 miles easy
    Trying to tick off the weekly mileage before the weekend's race, so an easy 7 mile recovery run (@7:59/mile) on tired legs, plus another 9 very easy mile loop around Bray with Neal @7:52.

Friday: 6 slow tired miles
    Adapting again to the higher mileage (and long working hours), legs, body and mind were all tired. Not an enjoyable way to spend a Friday evening. Beer - let me count the ways I miss you. :mad:

Saturday: 6 miles with strides
    Final prep run before Raheny so headed out for a few miles (up the Mine Hill lane climb), then hit some strides on the gentle descent back to sea-level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

60 x 60m sprints???! That's roughly a bazillion metres. :D

60 x 60m sprints???! That's roughly a bazillion metres. :D
    <cough> typo! 6 x 60m! I'm no Emil Zátopek!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

<cough> typo! 6 x 60m! I'm no Emil Zátopek!

I was wondering why you were so blase :) the fact you then did 10 miles that evening had me convinced you were on the gear. If WADA come knocking at your house tomorrow morning, aplogies :)

How come you are starting to increase the mileage again? Starting a new cycle? What's the goal race?

I was wondering why you were so blase :) the fact you then did 10 miles that evening had me convinced you were on the gear. If WADA come knocking at your house tomorrow morning, aplogies :)

How come you are starting to increase the mileage again? Starting a new cycle? What's the goal race?
    Sure 6x60 is just a little over two miles. You're getting lazy in your old age! Time to get the thumb out and start running some decent mileage so I have a reasonable target to equal this year (nothing short of sub 2:32:30, mind you ;)). Tell the WADA lads to come over at 8:10am, as that's usually when I struggle out of bed for my first piss of the morning (oh and if they bring coffee, they can have a solid sample too :D).

I'm back on the Steve Magness 5k plan (that I also followed last year). It's pretty tough as the mileage starts at 70mpw and builds to 100mpw over an 8 week period (in two weeks time) so I'm currently running 90mpw. It's a lot of miles, but sure in 'dry January', what else would you be doing?! I averaged around 76 miles per week, all year round last year (just under 11 miles per day), so the body and mind are well hardened up and used to the mistreatment at this point (have added some core and stretching to the weekly routines too, which seem to be helping). Not so much a goal race as a goal time. Every time I mention 15:30 for 5k though, I notice people's eyebrows furrow, as in 'what the fook are you thinking'?! But I'm trying to think of it in terms of a 22 second improvement (7 seconds per mile) and it doesn't sound so bad, particularly in the context of 6 months dedicated training. I may be dreaming, but how do we find out, unless we try?

The real goal is of course the marathon (likely Dublin in October), but hope to run as many competitive/national races as I can in the interim, as that's where I'm getting most enjoyment these days. Realizing just how crap you are is good for the mojo!

Raheny 5 Mile
    After 5-6 weeks of base-building, with no road races, I was as much curious, as eager, to discover how I'd fare back on the road. Previous PB was 27:3x, from a while back, so if all went to plan, a PB should be on the cards. Plan was to aim for 5:25/mile and see if I could last. It was also a 90 mile week, so you just don't know if the body will hold together, until you see the finishing gantry. My training schedule doesn’t have any races for a month or two, but Raheny is such a legendary race, that I really wanted to give it a shot (my only previous participation was back around 2010).

Squeezed my way close to the front, and managed to slip under the starting cordon to get a few final strides done, surrounded by the eliterrati. Back under the cordon for the start of the race and got sucked back into the crowd, perhaps 250 places back. Made good progress from the start, and had managed to find a bit of open space by the time we hit the main Howth Road (Mile 1: 5:23). A couple of Rathfarnham runners making good progress ahead, so I latched on and stuck with them. Found the traction on the tarmac on this stretch of road particularly poor, and it was taking an additional bit of effort to maintain the pace, but I couldn’t quite believe how comfortable I was feeling. Temptation was to push on, but I knew that given the weeks’ mileage, a gradual increase in pace was a smarter strategy. Recognized Greg as one of the Rathfarnham runners, and he’s been on the cusp of cracking 16 minutes for 5k recently, so was a good place to be. Mile 2 = 5:24.

Feeling a little too comfortable as we hit a gentle downhill, so I pushed on past the runners I was with (and Greg wished me well on my journey (those Rathfarnham lads are a pleasure to race against!) and caught another group, with some familiar faces. I didn’t really remember the race route from 4/5 years ago, so was a little surprised, when we took a left, instead of hitting the coast. I was catching and passing the leading women (most of ‘em!) at this stage, as they must have gone out hard and were fading a little. I was still in a small group with a Rathfarnham runner and a Sportsworld guy, as we took a right and headed for Clontarf Strand (Mile 3: 5:18).. I was running alongside the Sportsworld runner and as we approached the gaps in the speed-bumps in the road, he’d take a right hand position (even though there was room for both of us), forcing me to go over the top of the speed-bump, which upset the cadence/stride. After this happened a couple of times I was getting cheesed off, given that it seemed a little futile, so I made a point of over-taking him, and taking the inside line on the bend, forcing him to run outside my line, perpetuating the petty rivalries.

Finally hitting the clontarf Road, I recognized T-Runner (formerly of these parts) up ahead and drew level with him. I’d chatted to him briefly before the race and he seemed to be in pretty good shape. I wasn’t too sure what that meant but just as we were getting boxed into a group, he sidestepped and pushed on, and it was welcome to have someone to work with, as we hit the uphill stretch away from the sea (Mile 4 : 5:15). I tucked in behind T-Runner for a stretch, and as we approached the turn, moved to over-take, so that I could take my turn in the lead, and we could cement the gap that we had opened on the chasing pack. But glancing back, he wasn’t taking up the opportunity to reciprocally take the limited advantage you get from chasing another runner, and soon drew level with me instead. Glancing at the watch, I could see we had just over a kilometer to go and I started to wind up the pace, to try and use up whatever was left over the last few minutes. Gradually T-Runner’s footsteps seemed to quieten as he must have slackened off the pace a little (which was a real shame, as we’d have had a hell of a sprint-off, over the final 200m!).

I glanced right, and got a sneaky peak of the finish line. Not wanting to lose the places I had managed to gain, I further picked up the pace to empty the tanks, and immediately cursed myself as I realized that I wasn’t at the finish line and still had two sides of the park to circumnavigate, before we were done. I was really busting a gut, and the temptation to look over my shoulder to see how far behind the chasing runners were, was immense. At the same time, I knew that looking over my shoulder would spell disaster, as it was the fear of the unknown enemy that kept me pushing harder, and a glance backwards would likely give one of the pursuers the fortitude to surge past me. Finally I hit the final bend and picked up the pace as much as I might, and even managed to force a pretend smile as I crossed the finish line. Mile 5: 5:14.

I finished in 29th place, in 26:42 (chip-time), and took second M40 (an achievement that netted me a George Foreman two-person grill for my efforts!). I got a great buzz from the race and was happy with how I ran it, largely accelerating throughout the race, and running well despite the high mileage week. These early races serve no purpose for me (probably a little bit counter-productive if truth be told), but at this stage, it's all about building strength and enjoying the running so I'm willing to sacrifice a little at the top end, in order to keep the motivation and positivity up. It's going to be a long few months of hard-training, so it's better to be heading into it with the right frame of mind. Even after a couple of warm-down miles and a catch-up with Tunguska and T-runner afterwards (while waiting for the electric kettles and curling tongues to be handed out!), I knew I still had some miles to run before the night was done (slave to the numbers!) so jumped out of the car (while it was stationary) 10k from home, and was surprised how good the legs felt after the race, knocking out a post-race 10k in a little over 45 minutes. Proof, if any were needed, that base-building hardens you up for the trials ahead.

Monday January 26th: 9 miles grassy recovery @8:23/mile + 6 miles grassy recovery @8:15/mile
    No rest for the very stupid (those who race when they shouldn't and still have 90 mile targets), so eased back on the pace and stuck to the grass.

Tuesday: 25 minute split tempo + 5 mile recovery
    As I write this down almost two weeks later, it looks incredibly foolish, to run a tempo session two days after a race and it really serves little purpose, as the race would have been an ideal substitute for the tempo session. But I am nothing, if not consistent (consistently foolish), and having a work week that wouldn't support doing this session any other day, I felt it was best to get it done on the Tuesday and sacrifice a little on pace. Kept it relatively comfortable, completing the 15 minute ad 10 minute segments, somewhere around 5:40/mile (with 2-3 minutes rest). A further 5 mile recovery run afterwards, a just reward for my idiocy.

Wednesday: 6 miles recovery + 6 x 10 secs + 2 x 20 uphill sprints
    After a further lunch-time recovery run, it was back out into the freezing cold and darkness for a hill sprint session. I decided to head back to the stretch of road which was well lit and offered some safety away from the moving traffic, though it meant sprinting on a hard concrete path. I was a little disappointed to see that the road had been blocked off and closed, but easing past the barriers, I realized that it was a perfect arrangement as the road was closed to traffic, and I had some soft new tarmac for my hill-sprints. Enjoying these hill sprint sessions, particularly as it's a nice short run, interspersed with brief moments of manic eye-popping effort!

Thursday: 3 miles easy + 16 miles easy
    Lunacy continues as I planned to run the Fit4life 2 mile race on Thursday evening. Short 3 mile run in the afternoon to flush out the legs and then thankfully, my plans for self-destruction were thwarted, as the weather gods did their merry best to keep me uninjured, covering the ground with a delicate layer of snow, that saw the race cancelled. Frustrated after having built up some pre-race adrenaline, I headed off to Kilbogget with the plan of hitting up some 200m strides, before finally seeing sense (and realizing that Kilbogget was pitvh black), and instead, fired off a text to Peckham, who is now residing in North Wicklow, instead of North Dublin. I underestimated the distance to Bray from Kilbogget, so was both late and a little tired by the time I got there, but had an enjoyable 10k around Bray (despite pretty awful conditions) before parting ways with Peckham and heading for home. Crossing back over the Wicklow border, I realized I had inadvertently covered 14 miles, so felt it made more sense to run two more miles and tick off the week's 16 mile long run. Happiness is ticking off your weekend long run to days before the weekend!

Friday: 7.5 mile easy run with 6x200m strides + 5 mile recovery
    If I had to single out a single week where I have been more stupid than any other week, it would be a tough job, but this seven day period would certainly rank right up there. Headed to Kilbogget and ran the 6 x 200m at planned 5k pace (37 seconds), with 200m jog recovery. Hit the strides at the right pace, but it's really begun to hit me, just how quick my planned 5k pace is, and what a massive task lies ahead of me. Followed up with a 5 mile recovery run in the evening, cos what else would you be doing of a Friday evening, when you divide all of your time between working and running.

Saturday: Hartstown Parkrun
    Wanted to mark the occasion of the end of a month of hard training (and no beer/comfort junk food!), so headed out to Hartstown to run one of the newer Dublin Parkruns. Ran the route beforehand as a warm-up, and then lined-up at the start, only to be greeted by AuldManKing, who, truth be told, didn't look very happy to see me. ;) As the run started, he sprinted off into the distance and a quick glance at my watch told me he was running at 5:19/mile (which was around Raheny pace). Well, this wasn't Raheny and I didn't have that kind of pace in my legs that morning, so I backed off a little as he pushed on. Eventually he eased off, and I caught up with him after around 800m, but still ended up knocking off the first mile in an overenthusiastic 5:23. After opening a gap, I intentionally took the foot off the pedal a little and relaxed into the run. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have on eye on the course record (think it was around 16:30), but hitting a windy stretch, wisdom prevailed and I eased back a little more (mile 2: 5:32). Complete the big lap, and started into the small lap, catching many of the parkrunners working through their first lap. Tried to pick up the pace a little towards the end (failing miserably!) and ticked off the 3rd mile in 3:34, before ramping it up for a last ditch sprint for the line. 16:49 for my efforts, and was soon joined by the Auld fella, and we headed off for another lap of the park, this time at a far more sociable pace.

Sunday: 10 miles recovery
    Running buddy Neal is still on the road to recovery, so thankfully for me, after a dumb-ass week, this was a nice sedate 10 miles at recovery pace (8 min/mile), to round off a 93.3 mile week.

Monday 2nd: 2 x 15 mins @tempo + 5 mile recovery
    Eventually the amount of foolishness had to catch-up with me, and it certainly seemed to, during this session, where the two 15 minute tempo sections were run at 5:41 and 5:44/mile. Made the conscious decision not to watch splits (after the first couple), and just just run at tempo-feel, so it was a pretty good gauge of tiredness. Followed up with 5 miles on the grass that evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles easy (7:29/mile) + easy/recovery run home after work (5.3 miles @7:57

Wednesday: Easy 7.5 mile run to work, + 3.5 miles at lunchtime (with 5 x 100m sprints) + evening 5 mile recovery run

Thursday: 6 miles easy + 14 miles easy w/5 minute pick-up
    With Enniscorthy 10k on Sunday, I had to slot in the long run at some point or else face the prospect of skipping it (not really possible for me). With a 95 mile week I also needed to rack up as many miles as I could earlier in the week, so that I could rest up a little for the 10k. I also had to take a spin to that hell-hole (Dundrum shopping Centre) so ran an easy 10k at lunch-time and then ran out to Bray and met up with Neal for 10 miles before parting ways and heading home. I had abandoned the idea of doing the 5 minute pickup as I was pretty knackered, but when I hit the flat final mile back towards home, I did it anyway, notching up a pretty lack-lustre 6:15 pace for the 5 minute segment.

Friday: 3 mile shopping run + 10k easy
    Disaster! Out of coffee! Early morning run to the shops ensued, followed by an easy 10k run at lunch-time, as the wind down began for the 10k on Sunday. T'was Emer's birthday though, so we headed out to a fine musical extravaganza, interspersed with an uncustomary number of beers and fruit-based drinks. No great race prep, but some things gotta take priority.

Saturday: 5 mile run with strides
    Bit of a dirty hangover, but after a couple of miles and a nice hill climb, the cobwebs were gone, and the strides and gentle downhill back to home resulted in a couple of comfortable 6 minute miles, which is a good mental boost after a week of relatively slow mileage. Spent the day swapping between the foam roller and the stretching mats, trying to work out some knots in the calf muscles, glutes and every other piece of connective tissue in my legs.

Sunday: Enniscorthy 10k
    I had rather optimistically hoped to get close to my 10k PB in this race, despite the fact that it ended up being a 100 mile week, I hadn't rested up properly and my PB came from a significantly flatter Dunshaughlin (at the end of my 5k training last year). In other words, I failed... :) Started the morning with a couple of miles just to flush-out the legs (and pick-up some milk!) and then headed out to Enniscorthy with Emer and a couple of clubbies. A few easy miles and strides and we lned-up near the front of the field.

Race: Plan was to tackle the first hill at around 5:30/mile, and then pick up the average pace to 5:25/mile once the road flattened out a bit. The start of the race was a bit of a disaster though, as slower runners held a position at the front of the field and brought the proceedings to a near halt. It wasn't until we got around the first corner that I managed to navigate into a bit of space. Even then, I was boxed in several times and glancing at the watch, could see I was way behind my target pace. Neal was nearby (still recovering from injury, but showing great progress in his return to form) as we worked up the hill. I was still boxed in and getting frustrated at not being able to make progress, so eventually side-stepped to the curb and pushed-on hard up the hill. The problem was that the next runner ahead was already 200m in front, so I was essentially striking it out on my own. I later found out that the chasing pack didn't really lose any ground on me (maintained the same pace 10-15m back), so the whole process of striking out on my own was probably futile, but at least I was running on my own terms. (Mile 1: 5:35). Eventually I heard a patter of feet and looked back to see an SBR runner tucking in behind me (66_lad), and so we stayed for the next mile (5:31), gradually closing the distance on the Slaney runner ahead who was completely on his own.

I had forgotten just how hilly this course was, but the legs were strong from the weeks of high-mileage mistreatment and rather than struggle up the climbs, I seemed to negotiate them, which was a positive change from the same race the previous year. Still the SBR runner was tucked in slightly behind, with the Slaney runner gradually coming back to us. Kept a good racing line and that helped to reel in the Slaney lad, who largely kept a position in the middle of the windy road, and we had caught him by the time we hit the down-hill patch. Given my weakness on downhills, I thought this would present the two runners with an opportunity to open a gap on me, but neither runner seemed intent on taking advantage, and maintained their positions just behind (mile 3: 5:25). Hitting the 5k mark, I glanced at the watch and saw 17:08, and knew that I had a hell of a lot of work to do in the second half, if I was going to break 34 minutes (not to mind target the PB).

The next kilometer features some ill-timed climbs, and I sensed rather than heard one of the runners drop off the pace a little. Arriving back on flatter ground, I glanced back and saw that SBR runner was still with me. I was tired of leading the charge and needed a break, so hoped that 66_lad would take a frontal position and give me a chance to take a breather and recoup, but hugging the ditch and glancing back, he didn't act on the visual cues and stayed where he was just behind me. Eventually the patter of his footfalls seemed to fade away also, and I sensed that I was on my own (mile 4: 5:32).

I figured I lay in about 6th/7th position, and was probably leading the M40 charge, but breaking 34 minutes was now the primary goal, so I maintained a steady effort, waiting for the visual queues that we were back on the downhills towards the finish. I could make out the next runner in the distance in his Rathfarnham singlet, but he was too far ahead to have any impact on my race. My breathing was sounding a little rasping, so I eased back slightly, knowing that the final downhill mile was an important one (mile 5: 5:25). One more gentle drag and I was finally on the descent to the finish line. Kept a good line and tried to run as fast and comfortably as I could, waiting for the sights and sounds of the finish. glancing at my watch, I could see I'd passed the 30 minute mark, which meant that Fagan had already finished, and I had just another 3-4 minutes of pain to endure. Past the 9km sign, keep going, keep going... Now the landmarks were familiar, and I knew I was getting close. I didn't look back back, but knew there was no-one near me, as I was getting the occasional cheer and didn't hear any cheers for my pursuers. Temptation was to step off the gas, but I knew that getting under 34 minutes was going to be really close, so I couldn't afford to. Finally the finish line came into sight and I gave it all that I had left, crossing the line with 33:57 showing on the clock. I finished in 6th place and took the M40 category for a second year in a row - much to the chagrin of one of the pursuing SBR runners, whose first comment after crossing the finish line (before he'd even caught his breath), was 'Are you over 40?!'.

It sounds a little greedy (being the second fastest 10k I've ever run), but I wasn't really happy with my time, largely because my performance in Raheny suggested I should be able to do better. It was around 18 seconds faster than last year, but I just couldn't explain why I had not been able to run faster. My head was in the right place and despite the high mileage, my legs were in pretty good nick - I just didn't run fast enough. Neal ran a stonking race, finishing 20 seconds back in 7th place, showing that his patient 6 month return from injury is paying off. Additionally, from his vantage point, he was able to provide some valuable feedback: firstly that I was checking my Garmin almost every minute, and secondly, that my uphill charge nett'ed me very little in terms of performance gains. After getting home, I went back out and ran the additional 3.1 miles to bring my weekly mileage up to 100 miles, but truth be told, the only purpose it served was to give me a mental excuse for not performing as well as I had hoped. It's a judgement error in terms of cause and effect. Instead of thinking 'I ran a poor race because I was running high mileage', I should be thinking 'I'm doing high mileage - what do I hope to achieve from running a race?'. Much food for thought. Puts TRRs fine performance on Saturday (10k in 33:16) into perspective. Must avoid meeting him between now and June, at which time he'll be back to normal weight. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

"much to the chagrin of one of the pursuing SBR runners, whose first comment after crossing the finish line (before he'd even caught his breath, was 'Are you over 40?!')."

He must have been in a bad way if he couldn't tell by looking at you :)

TbL

He must have been in a bad way if he couldn't tell by looking at you :)
    People who live in glass mausoleums, shouldn't throw stones. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think we should have your over 40 membership suspended for making the rest of us look bad. Back to the Seniors with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Just catching up on your log now. I was at the Raheny 5 Mile. I was desperately trying to stay with a group for the first mile. I just couldn't do it though, I'm guessing you must have been amongst them. Would have been good to finally meet you in person. You had a good race, well done. The 10k in Enniscorthy wasn't bad either, despite what you say about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭squiredanaher

Looking good krusty! Irish runner mag.
    Great going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Every time I read a few weeks of this log and the thoroughly enjoyable race reports but especially the mileage, two words come to mind. Always the same two.

The second is 'hell'.

Looking good krusty! Irish runner mag.
    Great going.
    Really? How odd! Picture from Raheny?
    Itziger wrote:
    two words come to mind. The second is 'hell'.
    Goto?

Monday: 10 miles recovery @ 7:34/mile + 6.3miles @7:55/mile
    Surprised the legs felt so good after Enniscorthy. Planned an easy 6-7 miles, but was enjoying the run, so stayed out for the full 10 miles. Much easier recovery 10k in the evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles easy @7:17/mile + 6 miles recovery @7:44
    Needed to get away from the craziness of work, so headed for the solitude of the hills, but had to really pick up the pace to make it back for a meeting, so the legs got a good stretch. Easy 6 miles out to Bray Head and back in the evening (bumping into Dubgal a couple of times- who didn't look like she was enjoying her run very much!).

Wednesday: 30 minute tempo (20/10 mins w/2mins rest) + 10 miles easy
    Took a flick through the plan, and it suggested that the 30 minute tempo should be split into 20/10, rather than the 15/15 split I'd done last week, so figured I'd give that a try. As usual, checked the splits for the first few laps, and then just checked out, listening to my podcast. Pace felt handy enough, so welcomed the two minute break. 10 minute segment went by quick enough, and I liked the arrangement of getting the brunt of the work over and done with. Pace was 5:37 for the 20 minutes and 5:38 for the 10 minutes, to make 12 miles for the entire session. Met up with Neil later on, with the promise of a few recovery paced miles. Well, we headed out for a loop around Bray, and by the time I was heading back for Shankill, I'd gone a lot further than the planned recovery run (and a lot faster than I would have hoped). Arriving back at the front door, key in hand and 9.6 miles on the watch, I just couldn't let it go. I knew it would scratch at my mental tick, so jogged out another .4 miles just so I could sleep better!

Thursday: 6 miles recovery + 6 miles recovery
    Woke too early, so headed out for a very easy grass recovery run (@8:18/mile) and followed it up with another 6 mile recovery run at lunch-time. Was feeling a little knackered, and thinking back, I realized I'd hit up 34 miles in the last 24 hours, so a little bit on an ill-conceived training stretch.

Friday: 7 miles with strides
    Still feeling a little knackered from my over-exertion, but on a positive note, it meant I could step it back for a day or two. As usual, got caught up in work so lunch-run was delayed, and had to peg it back to get in on time for a meeting, which meant some choice speedy miles.

Saturday: Popintree Parkrun
    Long, frustrating day in work on Friday, so by the time I got home (around 9pm), I just wanted to enjoy a few chillaxed beers. All ideas of doing a Parkrun went out the window, as one crafty beer followed another so when I hit the hay at about 1:30am, I had no intention of going anywhere in the morning. But my brain had other plans, and wide-awake (but slightly groggy) at 7am the next morning, I figured I might as well get dressed and head to Popintree (the last of the Dublin Parkrun badges to pick up!). The crafty beers had done some damage, so wasn't too enthusiastic by the time I found the park in Ballymun. Wasn't sure if the growing stomach pain would mean beating a hasty retreat, but I'd come this far so what the hell. A quick hello to Belcarra, and were were lining up at the for the first of three laps.

Didn't really know the route, so the plan was to follow another runner for at least the first lap, and then try and pick it up for subsequent laps and try and sneak a first finish. That plan lasted all of two seconds, as a runner streaked past and broke away from everyone else, at what I'd imagine was close to 15 minute 5k pace. Came down to the usual choice - give chase, or wait? Given my 'present state' I decided to let him off and see what happened, while not letting the gap get too wide. After 800m, he was about 30m ahead, but didn't seem to be widening the distance any further. Hit the back half of the lap and on the fast straight, I was gradually reeling him in. By the time the watch beeped off the first mile (5:26) we were level. Starting the next lap, he dropped in behind me, but after a further 800m we were running into the back of the Parkrunners on their first lap, so it took quite a lot of weaving in and out of the various participants, so I couldn't quite figure out if he was managing to hold on. Back on the straight again, I figured he was still hanging on, so might give me a run. I eased back a little (mile 2: 5:30), with a plan to hit the last 800m hard (where he didn't see to have the leg turnover to match my speed). Lots of weaving in and out, as we were now working through the participants on their first and second laps), but hitting the last 800m, I sensed that he'd fallen off the pace. Still, I didn't look back, as wanted the forward momentum to continue. Hit the third mile in 5:20 and picked up the pace for the final stretch to the finish line, nipping in a rather undeserved 16:40, with finisher two, arriving in 15 seconds later. A few more miles to warm-down, exploring the sights and sounds of Ballymun.

Sunday: 18 miles easy
    Another early start, as I woke an hour before the alarm was set to go off (at 7am) and filled up with porridge and coffee, knowing full-well that the Wicklow animals wouldn't settle for anything slower than 6:50/mile. Good to see Pre and Pronator moving nicely along the N11, as we drove past on our way to Ashford, to meet up with Beepbeep, Abhainn, and Tom, who were all running various distance portions of their medium-long runs. A very enjoyable but bumpy first 10 miles, as we covered a wide array of long-run topics, that saw the miles disappear in rapid succession, with the watch showing a rather healthy 6:50 average pace. We parted ways with BB, and headed on in a nice loop towards Wicklow, taking in some scenic spots, before heading back in the direction of the car. Picked up the pace over the last two miles (and rather rudely, didn't bid our former running buddies adieu, as they headed on to complete their extra miles), finishing up with a gut-busting 5:52, which acted as a suitable full-stop to mark the occasion of the end of a 100 mile week, and the end of my base-building phase. A couple of hours of easy rock-climbing gave the muscles a bit of a stretch and ensured that I was suitably wrecked from my peak week of training.
    Summary: 18.5 miles @6:45

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

You were right, I had a horrible few days. Jays was it really that obvious?! :o Nice mileage and well done in Poppintree, I see you are joining the pre-race drinkies club :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Monday: 10 miles recovery @ 7:34/mile + 6.3miles @7:55/mile
    Surprised the legs felt so good after Enniscorthy. Planned an easy 6-7 miles, but was enjoying the run, so stayed out for the full 10 miles. Much easier recovery 10k in the evening.

Tuesday: 10 miles easy @7:17/mile + 6 miles recovery @7:44
    Needed to get away from the craziness of work, so headed for the solitude of the hills, but had to really pick up the pace to make it back for a meeting, so the legs got a good stretch. Easy 6 miles out to Bray Head and back in the evening (bumping into Dubgal a couple of times- who didn't look like she was enjoying her run very much!).

Wednesday: 30 minute tempo (20/10 mins w/2mins rest) + 10 miles easy
    Took a flick through the plan, and it suggested that the 30 minute tempo should be split into 20/10, rather than the 15/15 split I'd done last week, so figured I'd give that a try. As usual, checked the splits for the first few laps, and then just checked out, listening to my podcast. Pace felt handy enough, so welcomed the two minute break. 10 minute segment went by quick enough, and I liked the arrangement of getting the brunt of the work over and done with. Pace was 5:37 for the 20 minutes and 5:38 for the 10 minutes, to make 12 miles for the entire session. Met up with Neil later on, with the promise of a few recovery paced miles. Well, we headed out for a loop around Bray, and by the time I was heading back for Shankill, I'd gone a lot further than the planned recovery run (and a lot faster than I would have hoped). Arriving back at the front door, key in hand and 9.6 miles on the watch, I just couldn't let it go. I knew it would scratch at my mental tick, so jogged out another .4 miles just so I could sleep better!

Thursday: 6 miles recovery + 6 miles recovery
    Woke too early, so headed out for a very easy grass recovery run (@8:18/mile) and followed it up with another 6 mile recovery run at lunch-time. Was feeling a little knackered, and thinking back, I realized I'd hit up 34 miles in the last 24 hours, so a little bit on an ill-conceived training stretch.

Friday: 7 miles with strides
    Still feeling a little knackered from my over-exertion, but on a positive note, it meant I could step it back for a day or two. As usual, got caught up in work so lunch-run was delayed, and had to peg it back to get in on time for a meeting, which meant some choice speedy miles.

Saturday: Popintree Parkrun
    Long, frustrating day in work on Friday, so by the time I got home (around 9pm), I just wanted to enjoy a few chillaxed beers. All ideas of doing a Parkrun went out the window, as one crafty beer followed another so when I hit the hay at about 1:30am, I had no intention of going anywhere in the morning. But my brain had other plans, and wide-awake (but slightly groggy) at 7am the next morning, I figured I might as well get dressed and head to Popintree (the last of the Dublin Parkrun badges to pick up!). The crafty beers had done some damage, so wasn't too enthusiastic by the time I found the park in Ballymun. Wasn't sure if the growing stomach pain would mean beating a hasty retreat, but I'd come this far so what the hell. A quick hello to Belcarra, and were were lining up at the for the first of three laps.

Didn't really know the route, so the plan was to follow another runner for at least the first lap, and then try and pick it up for subsequent laps and try and sneak a first finish. That plan lasted all of two seconds, as a runner streaked past and broke away from everyone else, at what I'd imagine was close to 15 minute 5k pace. Came down to the usual choice - give chase, or wait? Given my 'present state' I decided to let him off and see what happened, while not letting the gap get too wide. After 800m, he was about 30m ahead, but didn't seem to be widening the distance any further. Hit the back half of the lap and on the fast straight, I was gradually reeling him in. By the time the watch beeped off the first mile (5:26) we were level. Starting the next lap, he dropped in behind me, but after a further 800m we were running into the back of the Parkrunners on their first lap, so it took quite a lot of weaving in and out of the various participants, so I couldn't quite figure out if he was managing to hold on. Back on the straight again, I figured he was still hanging on, so might give me a run. I eased back a little (mile 2: 5:30), with a plan to hit the last 800m hard (where he didn't see to have the leg turnover to match my speed). Lots of weaving in and out, as we were now working through the participants on their first and second laps), but hitting the last 800m, I sensed that he'd fallen off the pace. Still, I didn't look back, as wanted the forward momentum to continue. Hit the third mile in 5:20 and picked up the pace for the final stretch to the finish line, nipping in a rather undeserved 16:40, with finisher two, arriving in 15 seconds later. A few more miles to warm-down, exploring the sights and sounds of Ballymun.

Sunday: 18 miles easy
    Another early start, as I woke an hour before the alarm was set to go off (at 7am) and filled up with porridge and coffee, knowing full-well that the Wicklow animals wouldn't settle for anything slower than 6:50/mile. Good to see Pre and Pronator moving nicely along the N11, as we drove past on our way to Ashford, to meet up with Beepbeep, Abhainn, and Tom, who were all running various distance portions of their medium-long runs. A very enjoyable but bumpy first 10 miles, as we covered a wide array of long-run topics, that saw the miles disappear in rapid succession, with the watch showing a rather healthy 6:50 average pace. We parted ways with BB, and headed on in a nice loop towards Wicklow, taking in some scenic spots, before heading back in the direction of the car. Picked up the pace over the last two miles (and rather rudely, didn't bid our former running buddies adieu, as they headed on to complete their extra miles), finishing up with a gut-busting 5:52, which acted as a suitable full-stop to mark the occasion of the end of a 100 mile week, and the end of my base-building phase. A couple of hours of easy rock-climbing gave the muscles a bit of a stretch and ensured that I was suitably wrecked from my peak week of training.
    Summary: 18.5 miles @6:45

Yep, same two words!!

Will add, well done as well though. One question, How does one run an undeserved 16.40?? Must give it a lash some time.

• Advertisement

Itziger wrote: »
    How does one run an undeserved 16.40?? Must give it a lash some time.
    You drink five bottles of strong beer the night before, and go and run 16:40, when you should be in bed, sounds asleep. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

You drink five bottles of strong beer the night before, and go and run 16:40, when you should be in bed, sounds asleep. :)
    note to self - start drinking strong beer :) I'm exhausted just reading your log - amazing going

Monday: 5 miles + 9 miles easy
    Still a little tired and stiff from the previous day's steady long run, so opted to push out the session for a day and just take things handy.

Tuesday: 20 min tempo + 1600 @10k pace
    Was a little nervous about this one, and as it turns out, justifiably so, as it was tough. Part of the reason was that the body hadn't come to terms with the fact that I'd just peaked in terms of mileage, and was now on the downhill trajectory, but with just one easy day (14 miles) since the max mileage week there was no real resting up before this session. The 20 minute section actually went ok (around 5:38/mile), followed by three minutes easy, and then straight into the mile. Urgh.. It was tough. The 10k pace was a little aspirational, which didn't help, but got through it in the end, finishing the four laps in 5:15. Total: 11.39 miles.

Wednesday: 5 mile recovery + 9 miles easy
    Very easy 5 miles then met up with Neil and Peckham for an easy 9.7 mile trot around Bray.

Thursday: Workout: Alternating 800@10k/800 steady for 5 miles
    Another workout that I faced with some trepidation, largely because the 10k pace had been a bit of a struggle on the Tuesday (on the back of a 20 minute tempo), but as it turned out, it was pretty ok (enjoyable even). The target was 2:38s for each of the 10k 800s, and just keep it steady for the in-between bits.

Actual splits: 2:36/2:37/2:37/2:36/2:36 (pace: 5:14/mile)
    Steady splits: 3:14/3:12/3:16/3:18/3:17 (pace: 6:32/mile)

One of those sessions that gives you a warm sense of fuzziness when it's over and done with. I clearly couldn't hold 5:14/mile for 10k, but it worked out ok for this session. There's something....respectable... about not coming to a halt at the end of of a rep. It feels a little more natural. No hands on knees gasping, just try to recover as much as possible on the hoof. Considered a recovery run (double), looked at my weekly plan and thought 'screw it'. Went rock-climbing instead. :rolleyes:
    Summary: 11.34 miles

Friday: 6 mile + 6 mile recovery run-mute
    Was half-way to work, passing Cabinteely Park when all of a sudden I get hit by an apple, which landed delicately on my foot and rolled down the road. Not the first time this has happened, I looked up angrily, but there was no-one to be seen. On closer inspection, the apple looked much like the one I had packed in my bag that morning. With a sigh, I pulled the open bag from my back and wondered just how much of my lunch I had lost, over the previous three miles. On the way back home after work, running through the pitch black park, I was greeted to the sounds of teenage chanting followed by blood-curdling screams. The sacrificial observance of pairing alcopops and merry-go-rounds, marking the end of mid-term break and a return to school.

Saturday: 15 mile Hill/trail run
    With half the family travelling, I was at the mercy of the remaining family member, and had to work around her schedule, so dropped her up to Gymnastics and had a couple of hours to get my run done, before she needed collecting. Felt like I needed to get away from the concrete and tar, so made my way up Ticknock Road, up as far as the masts, where I got blasted by the gale force winds and icy cold air. Worked my way up to Fairy Castle, before descending to Ballybrack Road, hooked a left at Johnny Foxes, and a further short climb, before hitting Barnacullia, and the trail that takes you down to Stepaside and back to the office, where I had deposited my bike. A wonderful, wonderful run, where I was tempted to stretch it out further and take in another climb up to Ticknock, but had to keep one eye on the clock and another eye on the weekly mileage.
    Summary: 15 hilly miles

Sunday: 6 mile recovery run
    Met up with some buddies for some beer and pool the previous night, and paired with an alarm clock that went off very early the next morning, was a little shattered. 6 Mile recovery run was the order of the day, so just tottered around Shankill for a very easy 6 miles, @8:20/mile, topping off the week just shy of 91 miles.

Monday: 3 x (4x400m @5k w/30 secs rest) 3 mins between sets + 8 mile recovery
    Another squeaky bum session - the first at my targeted 5k pace. Weather wasn't playing ball either, with 25mph gale-force winds from the SW. Toyed with the idea of putting it off, but in this country, the weather is hardly likely to improve dramatically over a couple of days (says he looking out the window at a cloudy blue sky paired with a light breeze), and it's not the kind of session you can run on a dreadmill, so nothing for it but to take the windy hit. Made it to the track comfortably (with the wind pushing me all of the way down) and then launched into the reps. The target was to hit 74 seconds (37 for 200m), a quick 30 second recovery and into the next one. The problem was that the wind favoured the start of each rep, so I was hitting half-way in around 34 seconds, and then dying as soon as I hit the bend and the full force of the gale-force winds. I still made the splits (largely), but feck me, it felt more like mile pace than 5k pace.

The three minutes rest between sets was very welcome, and by the time the clock had ticked off the remaining seconds I was ready to go again. My legs felt like they were popping they were so full of renewed energy at the start of each new set, but that lasted all of around 100m, before the familiar tiredness and lactic set-in. Still, I made it to the end having ticked off the numbers, with the dry-heaving and acidic taste of blood in my mouth a fresh reminder that many hard days lie ahead.
    Rep target: 74 seconds
    Actual: 73/74/73/73/73/74/75/74/74/74/75/73

Didn't want to move for a few minutes after the last rep, but the icy cold wind and rain soon provided enough motivation to start moving again. It's a bit of a toss-up, whether the 'cool-down' three mile uphill run back to work into that icy gale force winds was even more unpleasant than the track reps. At one point I had to turn around and run up the hill backwards, such were the icy-headaches brought on by the icy winds.

With a bit of travel this weekend, wanted to front-load some of the weekly mileage, so headed back out after work, despite Emer's dire warnings, having not really enjoyed her earlier foray into the cold. After a couple of sheltered miles I stupidly headed down to the sea where the exposed landscape immediately brought back the icy headaches, as I was forced to run with my head turned sideways away from the wind. Not the most pleasant of runs, but it served as a useful reminder that....well.... I'm an idiot.....

Summary: 10 miles + 8 miles

Tuesday: 13 miles easy + 7 miles easy
    Had to head out to the 'Power Tower', to pick up some keys from a buddy, so decided a nice run in the sunshine would be just dandy. 3 Miles into my run, the cold rain and sleet and wind had left me soaked and broken. Didn't want to run any more. Just wanted an end to all of the pain and suffering. A few miles later, the sun came out and all was right with the world once more. The second drowning was as bad as the first, and I wanted the ground to swallow me up. But soon enough... sunshine, daffodils and happy places. Didn't last though. Can't help but feel a little bipolar, as a February runner in Ireland. More ups and downs than.....<-insert obligatory 50 shades reference here. Can't barely remember heading out that evening for another 7 miles, but the Garmin says I did. I do remember pulling a whitey, and the Garmin recorded a 9:53 minute mile, which paints a pretty dismal picture, but I recovered soon after, and even managed to throw in the strides that I should have done on my earlier run.

Wednesday: 5.5 + 4.5 + 5.5 miles run-mute
    Mmmm.... Don't really remember any of these runs either, but apparently, they happened. That is all.

Thursday: 12 miles with 8 miles @MP
    Heading away for the weekend, so did this one a day early. Without any real idea of an MP target I had to settle on something, so went with 5:49/mile. A two warm-up mile run too me up to Palmers pub, where I launched into the MP section. Or at least, that was the plan. Any attempts to get down to marathon pace were met with strong winds, and the best I could get, despite some hard-work and down-hill sections was around 6:10/mile. A few more down-hill stretches and I'd clawed the average back to around 6:00/mile, but hitting half-way and a decent climb, I was pretty fooked. Eventually I turned away from the wind and despite some drags, gradually pulled in the average pace to around 5:55. Finally, with a mile to go, I figured I'd pull out all the stops and see if I could get it down to 5:49. Really had to work hard and finished in a bit of a train-wreck with the average pace showing 5:49 (and according to Strava, a final mile in 5:29). Two more cool-down miles took me back into work just in time for the next meeting. Fecking Garmin Connect rounded up my marathon section to 5:50 anyway, so I shouldn't really have bothered. Not that I'm concerned about such things... Grumble, grumble.. Good session though, and i'm sure it'll help in Ballycotton at the weekend.
    Summary: 12 miles @6:17/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

See, it's logs like this that inspire me to go out and do my paltry 10k into the freezing wind.

Friday: 8 miles real, real slow
    Headed away to Madrid for a few days of drinkin' and romancin' (you get less years for life, and all that), which meant a very early start to the morning, after a very late night in work. But the sun was shining, and an opportunity to run around Madrid is not something you turn your nose up at, so I left Emer digesting her lunch and hit the Park de Retiro for some very, very slow miles (stiff from the previous day's session and that morning's flight). After 4 miles I headed back to the apartment, picked up Emer, and we headed back for another loop of the Park de Retiro, guiding Emer around the park, much like a tour guide leading a troupe of sightseers. Very enjoyable easy miles, stopping occasionally to admire the fake bullfighters, tree-lined avenues, and hordes of Spanish students (they're everywhere these days!). A nice chilled 8 miles @9:06/mile.

Saturday: 7.3 miles very easy
    After way too much food and drink the night before, headed this time through the Parque del Oeste, abandoning Emer on her lonesome (some way to spend your wedding anniversary!), for an hour of relaxation, while I wound my way around the narrow streets of the capital, past the royal palace and into the Parque del Oeste. Stopped briefly to admire the somewhat underwhelming Temple of Debod, before enjoying the opportunity to run up the middle of the equivalent of a six-lane highway (Paseo de Camoens), which is closed to traffic and has been abandoned to the in-line skaters, runners and cyclists. Pace was again very slow (part narrow streets, part over-indulgence, part residual soreness, and part sightseeing), but a great way to see the sights.

Sunday: 10.5 miles super easy
    Plenty more boozing, and a not so urgent start to the day and we headed off to the Casa de Campo (Madridian equivalent of the Phoenix Park), via the Royal Palace and the main entrance to the Park. First few miles are all downhill, which suited the post-indulgent mood, and when we hit the lake, we headed off in different directions (different paces), while I ran the road to the Western side of the park (returning via the zoo and theme park), Emer stayed closer to the lake. Met up again soon afterwards, and joined the throngs of other runners, cyclists and outdoorsy types, who prefer to drink a beer and enjoy some tapas beside the lake, rather than work up a sweat in their lycra gear. After taking a break, we opted to take the Teleferico (ski lift!), back across the valley and up as far as the Parque del Oeste. Easy few miles back (getting lost only occasionally), arriving back just in time to wash-up, pack and hit the nearest Irish pub for the rugby, before the flight home.

Monday: Workout: 2k / 400m / 1.2k / 400m / 1k (10k pace /3.2k pace)
    Snow meant a delayed flight, which meant a late night and an early start, and a day off, meant a huge backlog of work, so enthusiasm was at an all-time low. Didn't seem like an attractive session on paper either, but with Ballycotton at the end of the week and another session in the plan before then, Monday was the only workable day to hit the session. This one is quite intriguing in terms of structure, until you add the various distances together and realize that it adds up to 5,000m, and realize that the alternating pace will put you just outside of 5k pace, albeit with quite a number of lengthy recoveries (2 mins and 4 mins). Actually, despite my lack of enthusiasm, it went fine, and I had little issue hitting both the 10k pace and 3.2k pace segments and the recoveries were plenty enough to see my ready to go, by the time the clock ticked down the remaining seconds. It's quite a challenge switching gears between the two paces and trying to get it right, but at least the 10k pace segments were getting progressively shorter, so mentally, it was more achievable. Sore calf/achilles on the cool-down afterwards, which is probably an indicator that I'm stretching myself in a new direction, rather than an injury-specific alert, but must remember to get some treatment and do some stretching/prevention.
    Summary: 10.5 miles @7:09/mile

Tuesday: 9 miles easy + 5 miles easy

Wednesday: Workout 12x200m @3k pace w/200m jog
    Target was around 36 seconds, and manged largely pretty well. On the second one, I lost focus and ended up running 38 seconds, and on the 6th rep, I had to pull up when a dog casually strolled into my path, while facing the other direction (because apparently the other 25 acres of parkland is not enough space to walk your dog), so I ran a 13th, just to be sure.
    Splits: 35/38/36/36/35/39/35/35/36/34/35/34/34

Met up with Neal for a few miles after work, which wasn't really the best idea in the world, as only 2-3 hours had passed since I'd finished my session, due to work meetings (late lunch), so less than ideal to trot around for another 8.5 miles. Sore legs and over-tiredness were the reward for the foolishness.

Thursday: 5.5 miles + 5.5 miles recovery run-mutes

Friday: 5.5 miles easy run-mute

Easing back for Ballycotton. Love this race. Can't wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

The couple who run together...happy anniversary you two :) I'm not going to let Himself in on this little key to marital bliss as that might take away some of my running time :eek: :o
    Best of running in BC.

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    The couple who run together...happy anniversary you two :) I'm not going to let Himself in on this little key to marital bliss as that might take away some of my running time :eek: :o
    Best of running in BC.
    There's a good reason we only run together one or two times a year and that's because one of us would soon be found dead on the side of the road, with a Garmin watch shoved up their bum. Unfortunately, that 'one of us' is me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Are you headed for Ballycotton? Best of luck if so, I may see you around afterwards,

Advertisement