Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Ah now my goal pace was 5'57". I didn't say that that's what I ran at. I've yet to download that run, may have been slower, may have been faster ;)

OK, so it was 5'46" average but I was looking at your route, you're running around estates, you're going to lose lots of time avoiding cars, people, lamp posts, taking corners etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Nah, did all of my intervals in the park. The only thing you need to avoid is trees, and they don't move too quickly. Physio session this evening. He worked my calf and my IT band, so hopefully along with a light taper schedule that'll see me good until the 21st September.

I'm sorely tempted to sign up for this 10k race on the new stretch of motorway near Carlow on the 7th November. Might wait until after Berlin though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

I'm sorely tempted to sign up for this 10k race on the new stretch of motorway near Carlow on the 7th November. Might wait until after Berlin though.

Hi Krusty would you have any interest running the Dublin novice on the 11th of October in the phoenix park?

Entries limited to 500 according to that link so I wouldn't wait too long. €30 to run 10k on a stretch of motorway though ? What next, €30 to run 10k on a treadmill ? Still, now I know where Prumplestown is.

Woddle wrote: »
    Hi Krusty would you have any interest running the Dublin novice on the 11th of October in the phoenix park?
    Hmm... Interesting.... I may still be crippled at that stage. I've had a sprained toe for a while that I've been proising to mend..
    But.. Any details?

• Advertisement

Entries limited to 500 according to that link so I wouldn't wait too long. €30 to run 10k on a stretch of motorway though ? What next, €30 to run 10k on a treadmill ? Still, now I know where Prumplestown is.
    I'll leave it up to fate. If it's full after Berlin, then so be it. It's only because it's on an unopened stretch of motorway that I would consider paying €30. But you're right. There's not much requirement for Gardai assistance, closing roads, etc. so 30 squids is a bit steep. But it seems to be well intentioned, and officially sanctioned/measured,so you could run the 10k of your life, and record an unbeatable pb.

you could run the 10k of your life, and record an unbeatable pb.

Would you really want to run an unbeatable pb. Kind of take the fun out of the distance ? :rolleyes:

Would you really want to run an unbeatable pb. Kind of take the fun out of the distance ? :rolleyes:
    Everyone's gotta hit their peak some time, and I'd rather hit it with a really good time. Something to taunt the grandchildren about.

Tonight: 5 mile recovery with 6 x strides. 42 minutes.

Something to taunt the grandchildren about.

taunting grandchildren is good, I'm keeping boiled sweets in my beard.

Boiled sweets in the beard is also a handy trick, for when you run out of energy on your long runs.

Today: 20 mile 12 Mile hilly cycle with a climb up around Ticknock (not to the top), which is a nice little hill climb. Unfortunately got my first puncture, and it found me without a phone, money, or a pump. So I had to take off the shoes (cleats) and walk a couple of miles to a friend's house, before the OH could come rescue me. How do you regular cyclist manage these situations? Spare tubes and pumps at all times?

Top tip: After fixing a puncture, before putting the rear wheel back on, make sure aforementioned puncture is really fixed, not just pretend-fixed.

Summary: 12 Mile hilly cycle prematurely interrupted.

• Advertisement

and just because I'm incredibly stubborn, here's another 9 miles @25.8km/hr, to round up to 21.7 miles for the day.

Today: This time next week I hope to have completed Berlin marathon (otherwise I'll be looking at 4:15+). Today was my final medium long run. Nothing for the next week greater than 7 miles, so it was fitting that this last run would be a good one. I wanted to keep my eye on the pace, so that I didn't over-exert myself, but failed miserably. As soon as I got distracted (oh look, a butterfly!), I'd look back down at the watch, and the pace would have jolted upwards, so there's quite a few unintentional pmp miles. I suppose it's a good sign.

In beautiful sunshine, I ran up around Tullyvale, stopping to admire a couple of ancient stone celtic crosses, before having a 'new meets old' historic moment, by running down the new unopened LUAS tunnel to the ghostly Brennanstown station. Finished up with a run through a few parks (Cabinteely, Deansgrange, Kilbogget and Shanganagh). All in all, happy with where I am right now. I've come out the other side of this training feeling fast, fit and healthy.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:27, @ 7:16/mile, HR: 143.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

How do you regular cyclist manage these situations? Spare tubes and pumps at all times?
    Basically yes - you can ask on the cycling forum and they'll say that real cyclists always have a car following them loaded with spares and provisions but for real-life cyclists cycling shirts typically have pockets on the back. I have a tiny bag that ties on under the saddle - stick in a spare tube, a couple of tyre levers and a 5 euro note and add your phone when you go out. I have a mini pump but you can get little single-use canisters of CO2 that would also fit in the little bag. I figure if I get multiple punctures or anything more serious, I'm ringing for help.

Best of luck in Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running today and nice route. I've jogged past those celtic crosses gasping on the uphill from time to time. Can't remember doing so on a day as good as today. Sounds like you're in good shape for next week. Take it easy and nothing silly in the next few days.

Cheers SJ. I won't know myself this week. What do people do with all the extra time?!

I normally run in the other direction, so the crosses are on the down-hill. Won't be long before the piece and tranquility of Tullyvale will be broken every 10 minutes by the Cherrywood LUAS.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Today: 8 Miles with 3x1,600m intervals

Intervals were: 6:02 / 5:54 / 5:58

Same workout for me:
    I did 6:02/5:54/6:02 and my goal is 5 minutes faster than you. You have a pretty solid race strategy worked out and I think you could still dip under the 3 hours if everything goes right for you on the day.

Wow, incredibly similar figures. Were you running in my shadow? :)
    I'll run the first 15 miles at 7:05, which would leave me with way too much of an uphill battle to get near sub-3. i.e. I'd have to run the last 11 miles at close to my 10 mile pb pace!

Anything around 3:10 will be deemed a great success (at least 12 minutes off my pb and the quintessential Boston Qualifier). Anything below that is just chocolate sprinkles.

There's talk of doing the Seville marathon in February, so that could be a good one to target the sub-3. What's this one like Mithril? Would it be a good candidate?

Seville is a great marathon. Very flat, well organized and you get loads of free gear which more than covers the entry fee - I think it was only 15 euro. It takes place in mid February and is one of the earliest city marathons in the year. Around that time its chilly enough early in the morning when you are starting but gets up around 20 degrees around the middle of the day.Its lovely relaxing in the sun afterwards particularly when you are escaping a damp Irish winter.

Its a little bit difficult to get to from Dublin - most of the cheap direct flights to Southern Spain don't run in winter,. I had to take a flight to Madrid and then a train from there.

The other consideration is that you will be training for it in the dark and coldest time of the year and if you start serious training that early it makes a very long running reason.

Thanks Mithril. Don't suppose you have a Garmin link to your race? There doesn't seem to be a race web-site.
    Today: 1 Hour swimming practice. My best stroke is sadly the dolphin. Not much use in a triathlon. Or survival. Though it does seem to work for the dolphins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

A few friends of mine did Seville and said it was fantastic, they also told me it finishes at a lower elevation than you start at. They also said that world bests are not recognised on the course for this reason, I don't know if thats accurate just there heresay

• Advertisement

It is recognised by AIMS as a qualifier for Boston. For London, they don't seem to have a list of supported qualifying races. New York is a lottery, and I'm not aiming for any worlds bests this year. :)

Woddle wrote: »
    A few friends of mine did Seville and said it was fantastic, they also told me it finishes at a lower elevation than you start at. They also said that world bests are not recognised on the course for this reason, I don't know if thats accurate just there heresay

Not sure about the route on previous years, but It started and finished in the Olympic Stadium last year. From what I remember the course was perfectly flat except for a small climb onto some of the bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

New York is a lottery, and I'm not aiming for any worlds bests this year. :)

It's guaranteed entry at 2:55:00 if you think that's achieveable.....

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Ruarl Runner

Hello KC, best of luck in Berlin... I hope the marathon goes well. I am delighted to see your training has gone well. It must be a nice feeling to get to the starting line of a marathon again!!! Even more so after the injury prevented you from running the Edinburgh marathon!!

Peckham wrote: »
    It's guaranteed entry at 2:55:00 if you think that's achieveable.....
    I do absolutely believe it's achievable. Just not by me. :)
    If I wait two years, I can aim for the masters. A more achievable 3:10.

Hello KC, best of luck in Berlin... I hope the marathon goes well. I am delighted to see your training has gone well. It must be a nice feeling to get to the starting line of a marathon again!!! Even more so after the injury prevented you from running the Edinburgh marathon!!
    Thanks Ruarl_runner. It's a relief to make it through the other side! A friend of mine has just pulled out from injury, with only 4 days to go. Gutted for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck in berlin. i am sure the P&D 44 week training programme will stand you in good stead...it won't be for the lack of miles, 3:03 has a nice balanced feel about it. :)

Tonight: 6 mile recovery run. Nice easy run. Felt like I was gliding. Pace: 8:26/mile. HR=128bpm.

Thanks Asimonov. It'as actually been a 41 week training program. :o

Thanks Mithril. Don't suppose you have a Garmin link to your race?
    There doesn't seem to be a race web-site.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13370285 and ignore the elevation stats.

The web site is http://imd.sevilla.org/maraton

• Advertisement

Thanks twice!

Advertisement