Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

adrian522 wrote: »
    I don't really have access to a track but if I was running 400m at 5K pace or whatever I'd tend to just run at what feels like 5K pace rather than trying to hit a particular time for 400m. Partially because I'm never sure exactly how far 400m is as the Garmin isn't that accurate.
    I have a problem with my 'perceived effort'. I really struggle to relate effort levels accurately to pace. I'm sure this is caused by an over-dependence on my Garmin, but for the last 2 years, I haven't even had pace information displaying on my watch - just current time and distance. But when I kick off on the cinder track and hit that first 200m, it's a coin toss as to whether it will show 34 seconds or 42 seconds. It's only once I've done a few reps in the same session that I can dial in the appropriate pace. The thing is, 'perceived effort' is probably a more important gauge of the level you should be training at on a particular day, than the numbers on my cheat-sheet. But so many of my sessions are at target pace, so you just have to focus more on the numbers and less on perceived effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Great to see the old pen & paper will do the trick - I'm garmin-less & inclined to stay that way (I think)

kit3 wrote: »
    Great to see the old pen & paper will do the trick - I'm garmin-less & inclined to stay that way (I think)
    I can't say that I'd ever go back to a Garmin-less world (for me, it'd be like trying to go back to not carrying a mobile phone (now wouldn't that be a great thing?!)), but like mobile phones, I suspect that everyone is better off without one for as long as possible.

It may be a coincidence, but a lot of the guys I would know who are more aggressive/competitive racer type runners tend not to have a significant Garmin fixation, while those who tend to be more focused on time-based targets tend towards a greater level of Garmin fixation. Food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

I've only recently joined the Garmin world but do find it very useful for training. I have no intention of wearing it in races though. I'd rather concentrate on the person in front of me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

I can't say that I'd ever go back to a Garmin-less world (for me, it'd be like trying to go back to not carrying a mobile phone (now wouldn't that be a great thing?!)), but like mobile phones, I suspect that everyone is better off without one for as long as possible.

It may be a coincidence, but a lot of the guys I would know who are more aggressive/competitive racer type runners tend not to have a significant Garmin fixation, while those who tend to be more focused on time-based targets tend towards a greater level of Garmin fixation. Food for thought.

In fairness, I can see the training benefits - will probably succumb at some stage (when a little lump of spare cash presents itself ! )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Friday: Easy run with 2 x 60m, 2 x 80m, 1 x 120m @90-95%

Those sprints should be a good help when you get round to the 400m sub 60 attempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

dna_leri wrote: »
    Those sprints should be a good help when you get round to the 400m sub 60 attempt.

+1

What sort of recoveries did you take between each sprint? Walk or jog?

Chivito550 wrote: »
    +1

What sort of recoveries did you take between each sprint? Walk or jog?
    I walked back to the start and took about 2 minutes in total. To be honest, I didn't give the 'session' the attention it deserved, as I was on my way to work. As a consequence, I've picked up a couple of niggles, in the form of a slight glute strain running down the right hammie and pain in my left shin. Just not a great idea to do these as part of a work commute. Should have done them on the grass in my spikes, but sometimes work/life just doesn't play ball (yes, I'm aware just how bad that sounds!). Also did these workouts last year, and didn't manage to break 60, but I think U'm a little faster across the board this time around, so hopefully it'll mean something in the 400m.

Today: 5.3 miles easy. Skipped the strides as the body just wasn't up to it. Lots of stretching and foam rolling this evening, to try and get into shape for tomorrow's race.

Today: MSB 5K:
    Arrived around 11am and picked up my number. Abandoned the girlies and headed off for a trot around the latter parts of the course. Energy level felt strangely muted. I often feel a little like this before a race, but on this occasion if felt slightly different, and I kind of wished I wasn't racing. Still, the muscles felt a lot less tight than they had over the previous few days.

I slid into the corral near the front and it was good to chat to 'the wolf' briefly before the off. Gun went without much of a sense of occasion and we were off...Only we weren't. Very slow start as I was caught in a bad position behind way too many runners. Turn left at the top of Dawson Street and passing the Shelbourne, I risked a glance at the watch, and it was showing an average pace of 5:26 (closer to 10 mile pace). Nothing for it but to start really pushing hard to try to reclaim lost time, so I was really weaving in an out of the groups, passing dozens of runners by the minute. Finally got a bit of space on Fitzwilliam Street but could see I was still way too far back, so continued pushing hard. I passed Catherina McKiernan, who I'd run much of this race with last year, and passed some more groups, before I recognized a few runners that I should probably be running with.

I hit Herbert Place and was working really hard to close the distance on the group ahead. Eventually I caught them on Wilton Terrace and tried to settle in to try and recover a little, after the hard work getting to this spot. Passed the 3k mark and took a glance at the watch (9:42). 'Cool', I thought, 'that's almost a 3k PB.. Should be nicely under 16 minutes if I can keep it steady'. If I'd bothered to do some simple maths before the race I'd have realized I was around 12 seconds outside of my target. Still, the group was stringing out and we seemed to be picking up the pace, instead of slowing.

A brief moment of annoyance, as the second lady cut directly across my path in her attempt to run the shortest line forcing my to come to a halt or choose between running into her or a parked car. Ordinarily, I wouldn't mind as to be honest, her race was far more important than mine, but she wasn't running the fastest race line - instead of running a tight arc that would allow her to accelerate out thought the other side of the corner, she took a right angle that forced me to stop or plough into her. A brief muttered curse and I pushed on past her, onto Leeson Street. Onto Pembroke Street and I was tucked in behind Gavin of Sportsworld, who I'd raced a couple of times over the last few months. He was running very strong so I was letting him drag me along towards the finish. Then I clipped his heel. :mad: Under the same circumstances, I'd be 'effing and blinding, but he had the good grace to just keep pushing on..

Back onto Stephen's Green and I was working very hard, but feeling pretty confident that I could hold on for a sub 16. Heard and briefly saw the Quirks on the side of the green, before turning the corner onto Dawson Street. The two runners ahead were opening a gap, but I was suffering badly, so was running pretty close to my limit. Approaching the finish line, I could make out the clock was was surprised and disappointed to see it ticking off 16:10, passing under it as it read 16:12. It had really felt like a sub 16 effort, so to be honest, I was a little confused and a little cheesed off. I'm not quite sure how I managed to mess this one up, but as TRR pointed out, the best thing about 5ks, is the next one is just around the corner. The watch showed a race distance of 3.21 miles, so perhaps I lulled myself into a false sense of belief that I was on track, but to be honest, I couldn't have run that last mile any quicker.

Lessons learned: Get proper rest the two days before the race. Start on the line and get into the right pack from the start. Check what your splits should be before the race. Don't assume that the mile splits on the watch are correct.

Summary: 5k in 16:12 to make around 62 miles for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Yes nice to bump into you again. I ran sub 17 pace but that course gave me 17:08. Like you was pissed that my well excited plan failed to break 17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

Good run all the same KC, I felt the breeze in the last mile hurt. Really believed I was going to scrape under 16.30 and the watch pace was agreeing with me but when I saw the clock on Dawson St it was on 16.25 ... managed 16.39 in the end but garmin had it as 3.14 miles so think I made same error as you. Ran the last 200m on fumes trying to hold off Orla Drumm!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Fair play KC - a few interesting challenges in your race today. Like yourself, I'm hoping to pick up another 5k soon and do myself a little more justice, so your comment to that effect also gives me something to focus on as I mull over a close one today :)

Nice to catch ya afterwards. (As I wouldnt be able to catch ya during ;) )

Killerz wrote: »
    Fair play KC - a few interesting challenges in your race today. Like yourself, I'm hoping to pick up another 5k soon and do myself a little more justice, so your comment to that effect also gives me something to focus on as I mull over a close one today :)

Nice to catch ya afterwards. (As I wouldnt be able to catch ya during ;) )
    Good to see you got your two seconds back! You're really flying at the moment. They'll all be sub 17 from now on. 16:30 next!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

Good to see that you have the occasional crappy race, (yes I know it's relative) kinda getting boring reading all about your auld man podium finishes and PB's :)

TbL

Monday: 6 miles easy @7:11/mile
    Frustrating day in work meant that this one was a lot spicier than it should have been, but the legs felt pretty ok, so hopefully no great harm done.

Tuesday: 14 miles with 5 mins pick-up
    After meeting up with Abhainn and Beepbeep (good influences!) on Monday evening, I met up with some other buddies (bad influences) so ended up having pints until late into the morning. So didn't get going until lunch-time at which point I was feeling a little bit better for wear, despite the lack of sleep. This route seems somehow to have become a Paddy's Day ritual (could be related to the habitual Paddy's day hangover), but ran through Bray and wanted to get away from the parade crowds, so headed out along the Bray Greystones cliff walk, cutting up to Windgates just before reaching Greystones, then did the climb up to Bray head, before heading back through Bray (where the parade tension was building) and homewards. Glancing at the watch, I realized that I'd be running closer to 14 miles, rather than the planned 12 miles, so figured I might as well line-up this run with the weekend's planned 14 mile medium long run. As a consequence, I also had to incorporate a 5 minute pick-up, so despite the dehydration picked up the pace for the final mile, and it felt comfortable enough (beer = fuel for my body) and finished off with a 5:45, which was just about fast enough to satisfy the training gods.

If you've never run from Bray to Greystones and back over Bray Head, then I suggest you put on your running shoes and do it as soon as possible, otherwise you're missing out on some of the best running this fair land has to offer. This route is reason enough to become a runner.

Wednesday: 6.3 + 5.5 easy
    A little knackered from Monday night's exploits, but the pace wasn't affected for my first run. Second run was a little more sluggish, but that may have been the podcast, which was all about the origins of tea.

Thursday: Workout: 5 x (400 @5k / 800 @steady)
    Really like this session. Not sure if it's because you transition directly from 5k to steady, and so never get a chance to wallow in self-pity, or because it's over and done so quick, but the time flies and soon you're heading back to work. Target was 1:14 per 400 and just comfortably steady for the 800s, and it pretty much went to plan.
    400s: 1:15/1:14/1:14/1:14/1:13
    Steady: 3:05/3:08/3:06/3:08/3:06
    Still not feeling like an achievable 5k pace, but does 5k race pace ever really feel achievable in training? Strangely have already done my quality work for the week, so just some medium-long runs to tide me over to next week, when I start the 8 week 5k competition phase.
    Summary: 10 miles in 65 mins

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Looks like a nice route alright, given that it starts and finishes in your neck of the woods I guess you'd be ok to provide the Tea and cake?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Looks like a nice route alright, given that it starts and finishes in your neck of the woods I guess you'd be ok to provide the Tea and cake?
    But of course! Actually, the nice part really only starts once you leave Bray seafront. It's such a wonderful stretch of coastline, that strikes me as being very much underappreciated. Bray doesn't have the boutique fish and chip shops of Howth, but it does have lots of miles of wonderful runnable coastal trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭laura_ac3

You've certainly convinced me. On the ever growing list of places to strike out to for a change from where I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

So we have it here in black and white that KC has just volunteered to be tour guide for the next trail run? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    So we have it here in black and white that KC has just volunteered to be tour guide for the next trail run? ;)

He'll have to leave a trail of crumbs or something for us to find him... Or maybe he could do two laps!!

• Advertisement

laura_ac3 wrote: »
    You've certainly convinced me. On the ever growing list of places to strike out to for a change from where I am.
    Sometimes you just need a change to charge up the running a little. The Bray to Greystones cliff walk is really accessible (makes a great out and back too), without all of the climb you get in the Bray Head paths (There's lots of up!).
    Dubgal72 wrote:
    So we have it here in black and white that KC has just volunteered to be tour guide for the next trail run?
    It'd be my pleasure! I'm a very experienced Boards trail guide, and over the years, have only lost a handful of runners. Eventually people forget, and let me take out another band of victims fools runners.

But of course! Actually, the nice part really only starts once you leave Bray seafront. It's such a wonderful stretch of coastline, that strikes me as being very much underappreciated. Bray doesn't have the boutique fish and chip shops of Howth, but it does have lots of miles of wonderful runnable coastal trails.
    Don't be dissin' Henry and Rose's now....

Never heard of it (I'm a blow-in!), but a jumbo batter burger for €3.50? That's value for money you can't really be turning your nose up at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I'll never think of Beshoff's the same way again...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

You've got to love a chipper that says "Chips from real potatoes" on the menu. A bit like those "Genuine Diesel For Sale" signs around the border areas. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

Never heard of it (I'm a blow-in!), but a jumbo batter burger for €3.50? That's value for money you can't really be turning your nose up at.

20 years ago they were great for losing weight too!

I may have mentioned before that I'm in total agreement with you regarding the cliff walk. The New Forest is a nice place to run in but the cliff walk is still my favourite place. Next time I'm over (maybe this summer) I'll let you know and see if we can hook up for a few (slow!) miles.

Clearlier wrote: »
    20 years ago they were great for losing weight too!

I may have mentioned before that I'm in total agreement with you regarding the cliff walk. The New Forest is a nice place to run in but the cliff walk is still my favourite place. Next time I'm over (maybe this summer) I'll let you know and see if we can hook up for a few (slow!) miles.

Great so we'll put Clearlier at the front of the group and KC can be hobbled and sweep up any stragglers. Sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If you've never run from Bray to Greystones and back over Bray Head, then I suggest you put on your running shoes and do it as soon as possible, otherwise you're missing out on some of the best running this fair land has to offer. This route is reason enough to become a runner.

you wouldn't have a GC link for that route by any chance ? I'm not premium enough to download the GPX from Strava.

PaulieC wrote: »
    you wouldn't have a GC link for that route by any chance ? I'm not premium enough to download the GPX from Strava.
    Didn't realize you had to be a premium account holder for Strava. Perhaps that's just for downloading other people's GPX routes? Anyway, here ya go.

• Advertisement

Thursday evening: 5 miles recovery - dead slow

Friday: 9 miles easy
    Woke up at an ungodly hour, so after procrastinating for 30 minutes, I got out of bed, had a coffee and hit the road. Went thorugh the standard conversation in my head...
    I have to do 9 miles today.
    Legs are hurting - I'll do five miles now and 6 miles later.
    Legs aren't too bad. I'll do six miles now and 5 miles later.
    Feeling ok. I'll do 7 miles now now and make up the extra two miles another day
    Sh1t. I'm three miles from home. I guess I'll be doing 9 miles.

Still, when you're doing a lot of doubles, it's nice to get the morning run done and have the rest of the day free. It's not like running is a chore.... But sometimes, there's only so many times you want lace up those shoes...Perch the Garmin on the windowsill... Zip-up that jacket.. Have yet another shower..

On an unrelated note, just playing around with Strava... This is soooo cool.

Advertisement