Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

The big baldy bollix (most of us baldy fellas are OK I swear!) looks like a long string of misery... I'd say you could've handled him if you hadn't had bigger fish to fry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I think the username big bald bollix is still available if yer man wanted to join Boards :P
    He's a 2:22 guy, so not a bad runner. Doesn't make him any less of a d1ck though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

He's a 2:22 guy, so not a bad runner. Doesn't make him any less of a d1ck though. :)

Decent club runner. ;)

Biggish lad for 2.22, no? Looks a bit awkward a runner too.

As for the TV coverage, first class. I can just imagine the Dutch commentators though. If that dopey Irish langer could just get out of the way we might be able to see our glorious Dutch girl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

...already the fire has been stoked and I have a new imagined adversary. Plans are being formulated.

Not sure what that plan is but if it’s happening this weekend, all the best!

..and from the fiery pits of hell, the training log re-surfaces... Thanks Murph_D!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Easy in Kaapse!! All the best Krusty, one positive thing I can tell you, weather is promised perfect per Zuid Holland weather forecasters. Have a great race.

OOnegative wrote: »
    Easy in Kaapse!! All the best Krusty, one positive thing I can tell you, weather is promised perfect per Zuid Holland weather forecasters. Have a great race.
    One less worry! I'm assuming you'll be cheering us on somewhere near the finish line, with beery refreshments waiting for all of the Irish runners?

<well, it was worth a try>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

good luck on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Dev1234

Best of luck tomorrow Krusty. I hope you've more training under your belt than you've captured in your log!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

Good luck tomorrow Krusty. Hope it goes your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jaysus, I left the forum for a few years and now have digested the last dozen or so of your reports. Flippin hell KC that's simply amazing progress and belief. I'm late but massive respect! Ha if you were racing your newbie self to this forum you would finish the marathon over 10k ahead of yourself! Was that the real BAC 10k Challenge..:-)

Cheers shotgunmcos! Great to see you back at it. Yep, I chased a lot of dreams over the last few years, achieved some of them, came pretty close to others, and missed the mark completely on a few more. :o I'm now reaching the philosophical stage of my running 'career' - as in, I don't run any more I just think about what could have been. :) It's been a great ride and I've loved every last minute of it, but I fear that the sub 2:30 will ever evade me. At least I got to spend 4 hours believing I had achieved the mark. Though the official record will forever show otherwise, I do occasionally permit myself a guilty impure thought, that if you subtracted the time of day when I crossed the start line, from the time of day when I crossed the finish line, you'd arrive at an ultimately more satisfying number.

But now it's your turn. I'm proof that someone who started out as a 52 minute 10k runner, can run 2:30 for a marathon. Why don't you see how much further you can push past that mark? Will follow your training and progression keenly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

No Chance! I love the part in your log about get lighter and running feels easier, its not scientific. However 154lbs. You have seen my body type right! Cheers KC and you are the model of going after it. I've already gleaned some of the sub3 nuggets from your input to the sub3 thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Cheers shotgunmcos! Great to see you back at it. Yep, I chased a lot of dreams over the last few years, achieved some of them, came pretty close to others, and missed the mark completely on a few more. :o I'm now reaching the philosophical stage of my running 'career' - as in, I don't run any more I just think about what could have been. :) It's been a great ride and I've loved every last minute of it, but I fear that the sub 2:30 will ever evade me. At least I got to spend 4 hours believing I had achieved the mark. Though the official record will forever show otherwise, I do occasionally permit myself a guilty impure thought, that if you subtracted the time of day when I crossed the start line, from the time of day when I crossed the finish line, you'd arrive at an ultimately more satisfying number.

But now it's your turn. I'm proof that someone who started out as a 52 minute 10k runner, can run 2:30 for a marathon. Why don't you see how much further you can push past that mark? Will follow your training and progression keenly!

Ever thought about doing World Masters or European Masters? 71 minutes won gold in the M45 in Aarhus last year, and 76 took a bronze.

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Ever thought about doing World Masters or European Masters? 71 minutes won gold in the M45 in Aarhus last year, and 76 took a bronze.
    No running for me, for the next 3-4 months minimum, due to damage sustained over the last training cycle (pelvis). By the time I come back to proper form, I could be chasing M50s. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

No running for me, for the next 3-4 months minimum, due to damage sustained over the last training cycle (pelvis). By the time I come back to proper form, I could be chasing M50s. ;)

Sorry to hear that KC- hope the recovery goes well!

sideswipe wrote: »
    Sorry to hear that KC- hope the recovery goes well!
    Cheers sideswipe. By xmas time, I'd except I'll be chomping at the bit to make progress and be competitive again. Thinking of posting on my log again, to keep myself honest about my injury rehab, but not sure if this is the right place to keep a log that doesn't actually feature any running (at least for the next 4 months).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

FFS. What have you done to yourself?

Cheers sideswipe. By xmas time, I'd except I'll be chomping at the bit to make progress and be competitive again. Thinking of posting on my log again, to keep myself honest about my injury rehab, but not sure if this is the right place to keep a log that doesn't actually feature any running (at least for the next 4 months).

Fire away. It’s your log. Writing about stuff is a great way of processing it and figuring it out. It wouldn’t be the first to feature little or no running anyway. ;)

<time passes>

<time passes>

M50. I didn't appreciate what a prophetic post that was, but now, here I am, fulfilling my own prophesy. Warming into M50, mostly over the groin and hip problems (but twinges are an ever present - every other day reminder). Much water has passed under the bridge, but I'm starting marathon training again, so it seems a fitting time to start capturing some thoughts about progress and that fine balance between trying to grasp some semblance of the runner I used to be, while balancing that with the runner I am now, and injecting some reality at the same time. I'm hoping that I can use this log, for the same purposes it was originally intended. By capturing my thoughts, I'm hoping to do a little bit of retrospective analysis to steer what I will do in the weeks ahead. As a self-trained/coached runner it's too easy to lean over too far, so hopefully some self-analysis (and hopefully peer guidance) will give me pause for thought.

Plan: Hoping to use the Hanson's Advanced Marathon plan, (Sean said I should!), and it kind of aligns with my mileage/commitment levels.

Target race: Maybe Porto marathon in November, I've booked flights and a hotel, and that's half the job done. Just the training left.

Week 1: Skipped week 1

Week 2 Day 1: 7 miles easy: supposed to be 6 miles but took the wrong route, so ended up with 7 miles. Very tired.

Week 1: Day 2: 12 x 400m with 400m recovery (treadmill): I've run sooo many miles that looking at effort levels on Strava is pretty deceptive. This was probably the most physically (not mentally) challenging session I've done in 1-2 years. It was a stark reminder that marathon training is tough, and the 18 week plan is going to be long and hard. Temp was 20'C when I started, and 22'C when I finished, so tomorrow's suffering will be hard. Plan calls for a rest day tomorrow, which is timely, as I'll be travelling. Still basing my paces on 'makey uppey' numbers, as I haven't raced properly in so long, but I have to start from somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Did not expect to see that this morning! Great to see you back. Best of luck with training.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Great to see you back, I think I've pretty much read your entire log.

I'm also using the Hanson Plan for a autumn marathon, I seem to be a week ahead of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Welcome back Krusty, I'm actually in March 2011 of your log, went back to the start looking for tips and motivation for my own Marathon build up, you've just run Ballycotton 😅

Good luck with the training.

Good to see this, welcome back. And just when Swashbuckler was probably beginning to think Log of the Year was sewn up. 😉

Plenty of Hansonites around these parts, so it will be interesting to see you progress through it.

Are you happy enough with the generic version of the Advanced version or are you tempted to tweak it? And if the latter, why?

Makey-uppy paces at the start - you're probably exaggerating slightly there, but given the speed sessions and other Hanson paces are computed using current 5k pace do you have any idea at all of your current 5k form?

Best of luck with it all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have a six month headstart so all I need to do is keep pace with him or at the very worst leak a few seconds per mile for the next 6 months 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

A warm welcome back to these parts - No doubt your ears were burning while you were away as KC's name gets mentioned in a lot of places!

2 things I'm interested in;

(1) What supplementary work you are doing to help?

(2) I'm open to correction - but I dont think you have followed a plan 'to the letter'......ever - What attracted you to Hansons (apart from Sean's recommendation - it did work for him though)

Yeah, happy enough. Not chasing any PBs, so the plan is more about adding consistency and structure. The last couple of years have been pretty slapdash, doing sessions on a whim and nothing like the sessions in the plan, so I'm looking forward to a bit of variety. No temptation to tweak it, but might shift the days around based on work demands and travel. No clue on current 5k time. I did run the staff relay recently, but I'm not sure that really counts as the course/day was sub-optimal. I'm working off of a 5k time of around 17 minutes, more because I've done a chunk of sessions at around that pace, so for want of something better, it'll do.

1) Eh - not much. Plus ca change... I've got a once a week Pilates class in work and have started doing a little rock climbing again. Work is crazy, so it's hard to fit more in. I know I should, but...

2) My tipping point mileage wise (before straying into injury territory) is somewhere around 50-60 miles (a far cry from the 100mpw average of years gone by), so the mileage lines up nicely. Like I was saying, the plan isn't hugely important as it's more about the structure and consistency for me at the moment. I still feel pretty well trained (my HR rarely strays north of 130bpm on an easy run), so might not get as much out of the Hanson plan's easy runs, so might think about tweaking that a little, but might be just throwing in strides or something.

Thursday: 6 Miles easy: Yesterday was a welcome day off, as I was travelling to Amsterdam for a conference, and squeezing a run in, would've been a real challenge. Ended up drinking late into the night, and had a super early start today, plus a day of conferences, so not much mojo to go running, but you can hardly skimp on day 3! Not so easy, given the tiredness, dehydration and the 30'C, but got it done. Easy run with a work buddy around a roasting hot Amsterdam. Weather's due to break tomorrow (in favour of heavy rain) but have a really early start tomorrow, so it's going to be a stretch to fit in the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

All the auld fellas will be piling back in here now!

Hopefully will see you at some local race soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Gulp...269 pages, I don't know whether to be excited or terrified to start at the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭Wottle

Well worth it :-) I probably scroll a little quicker over the banter. I'm more interested in the progression from 3'20ish to 2'30ish.

"A fantastic run today. Though it was very humid and it rained on me throughout the 11 mile medium long run, I loved every minute of it.

Why?

Because I rediscovered the good book, and now, once again, count myself among the flock of happy runners. For too long, have I forgotten or ignored the good word. For too long have I tried to beat my own training times in my training log. And for too long have I treated every endurance workout as a running race. Well no longer. I have seen the light, and I'd like to share the light of his words with you in the form of these commandments:

1) The medium long run (11-16 miles) should be run at the same pace as your long steady/slow run (LSR).

2) Running very fast is for races or speed-work only. Running very fast in all training sessions will only lead to injury or affect your speedwork and recovery times.

3) Slaughter not the calves on endurance runs for they propel you on all of your training sessions.

4) Long run pace should be race pace plus 20% (quicker than) for the first part of your run, and plus 10% for the last five miles. Study the holy table and discern your appropriate pace:

Marathon Goal Pace|Early Pace|Last 5 miles

5:00mi|6:00mi|5:30mi||

5:30mi|6:36mi|6:03mi||

6:00mi|7:12mi|6:36mi||

6:30mi|7:48mi|7:09mi||

7:00mi|8:24mi|7:42mi||

7:30mi|9:00mi|8:15mi||

8:00mi|9:36mi|8:48mi||

5) Recovery pace shall be Planned Marathon Pace + 2 minutes. No longer shall it be PMP + 20 seconds (the devil awaits those who cheat on their recovery runs).

6) Thy reward shall come at the end of thy training program, not during every session.

7) Too many races is the devil's indulgence. Save yourself for the almighty crusades.

8) Thou should spend no more than 5 minutes on thy training log, otherwise though will fail all thy exams."

Advertisement