Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Realistically, if it is a windy day, then jumping behind my coat-tails would offer e a genuine advantage. We could create some kind of conga-line. :)

As the good book says (and I'm just quoting from memory here): if you follow the course of a pack of marathon runners, the winner will usually be the one who stayed at the back of the pack.

In Berlin, Haile was constantly surrounded by a squad of pacers or a trio of cars, which i'm sure contributed a slip-streaming effect. I wonder how long before this tactic becomes illegal in races. I mean not everyone gets to bring their own car to the race!

That's really interesting, yes I will more than definitely hook up with you at dcm, provided I make the start line, niggly it band, I've given out too much already, and will see physical t. This eve.

It's really funny what makes a difference though, I wear under compression shorts, then a pair of shorts. I had been wearing baggy type shorts but have recently changed to shorter shorts (no singing) and I definitely feel more streamlined. Despite missing runs recently my pace / effort ratio over 8 miles has improved. This could be a factor or maybe reducing outside temps, or the break. all good anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Last night: 7 Mile recovery cycle before it got dark, with a couple of small hills, before it got too dark. Unfortunately it did get too dark, and I hit a pot-hole at speed, buckling and puncturing my rear wheel. Anyone know if the bike shops can fix a minor buckle? Is it costly? How many punctures can you fix in one tyre before you just shouldn't bother any longer? Legs were a little jelly-like afterwards.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/14206230

Today: 4.5 mile recovery run. Slightly quicker than Wednesday's run, but still tired and quite devoid of energy. Probably cycles a little too quickly last night. And the recovery goes on..

Summary: 4.5 miles @8:42/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

As you know I don't have much experience with bikes ;) but I'm pretty sure a shop could fix that for you. Here's the other alternative (although he's on the Northside):

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055611674

Don't think you need to change the tyre unless you can see visible "nicks" or "slices" in the tyre. I would change the tube though if it's been punctured before. A lot of people around our parts seem to just toss them at the side of the road after they replace them :rolleyes:.

P.s. anyone I speak to says pump the tyres rock HARD... otherwise they'll puncture too easily..

rigal wrote: »
    Don't think you need to change the tyre unless you can see visible "nicks" or "slices" in the tyre.
    Ha! Such a techie, me! Of course I meant the tube! On a motorcycle, you can still get get a puncture fixed twice before you need to get a replacement. I guess bikes are different. Mr. Skeffington seems quite a find. Pity he's across the other side of the city. I'll try my local bike shop in Bray, who seems like a genuine enough guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

thanks for the support today, some good shouting from you!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Didn't know that was you I met after the race until jlang told me! Would have chatted for longer if I'd known.

Did we meet Pekham?! Were you one of the guys heading back along the finish straight? We need Boards AC name-tags. :)

Well done Kennyb3. I must upload the photos shortly. Think I picked up quite a few of the Boards AC singlets at the 7 mile mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Ah, that was you. Thanks for the cheer.

Did we meet Pekham?! Were you one of the guys heading back along the finish straight?

Yep, that was me!

We may have to think about getting our names on the singlets - both real and screen names!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Did we meet Pekham?! Were you one of the guys heading back along the finish straight? We need Boards AC name-tags. :)

Well done Kennyb3. I must upload the photos shortly. Think I picked up quite a few of the Boards AC singlets at the 7 mile mark.

I think you got me. I knew I recognised you as I was coming up, saw you raise the camera to your face and thought "awww crap". Still hoping you didn't recognise me and missed me. :D

Sheesh, why's everyone posting in my training log. I wasn't even running. :)
    I do reckon carrying four runner's bags, a camera, four bottles of lucosade sport, and minding a cart-wheeling 9 year old is far tougher than running a half marathon. :D

You haven't escape yet RQ. Just because you weren't wearing your Boards singlet, doesn't mean I can't find you. What was your race number?! 9? 13? 15? Something like that!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

You haven't escape yet RQ. Just because you weren't wearing your Boards singlet, doesn't mean I can't find you. What was your race number?! 9? 13? 15? Something like that!

No. None of them. Honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Peckham wrote: »
    Yep, that was me!

We may have to think about getting our names on the singlets - both real and screen names!

I asked Ger today for myself as we just ordered 16 new singlets and there now with the printers so I'm sending mine in to get woddle on it :D

8 Miles Recovery/Aerobic: Plan was to keep all of my miles at 8+min/mile, but as usual, as soon as the first foot hit the ground, all sage advice went out the window brain. Running a little quicker felt good, and I even looked at the watch to see a mile at close to pmp pace, before I started to back off. Still, my HR was within 'the good books' recommended post marathon zone of max 75%. All of the body's feeling good, with just a little tiredness in the quads.

Summary: 8 miles in 1 hour @7:36/mile. HR=143 (exactly 75%). :)

Just another quick note: My OH ran her first half-marathon yesterday in the park, and was thrilled to finish in 2:10. It's great to see people enjoy the experience of doing long races, where they never thought they could. I remember being there not so long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Krusty,

Just catching up after a couple of weeks away from boards.ie. Congratulations on an excellent run in Berlin, and an equally excellent report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

The only difference is, I intend on doing the training faster

You posted this on rusty cogs thread,i was wondering what you meant by it ?

Am sure KC will answer Sosa's question himself, and am not meaning to speak for him.....but I agree with what (I think) his strategy is. I also feel that a P&D style plan maxing out at 55 is enough for me to go sub-3 also. The big difference I'll also be making to last time I did is, is to do faster long runs and get out of the mindset of plodding around a 22 miler. More progression runs and similar!

Peckham wrote: »
    Am sure KC will answer Sosa's question himself, and am not meaning to speak for him.....but I agree with what (I think) his strategy is. I also feel that a P&D style plan maxing out at 55 is enough for me to go sub-3 also. The big difference I'll also be making to last time I did is, is to do faster long runs and get out of the mindset of plodding around a 22 miler. More progression runs and similar!

As you know peckham,i am doing the P & D Up to 55pw plan.
    Do you just mean doing your long runs faster or all your runs ?
    As a matter of interest whats fast for an LSR ? in your opinion
    If you would elaborate....
    Apologies for this Krusty,if you think we should bring this to the main forum,just say so.

Looking forward to reading Krustys reply on this

I based all of my training on a target of 3:07, which I revised downwards to 3:03 during the 12 week training program. So all of the p&D sessions I did were based on approximately that target time.

So when I did 5k intervals, the pace was based on McMillan's equivalent times of a 3:03 marathon (6:03min/mile). When I did LT sessions at 15K pace, it was based on McMillan's equivalent 15K time of 6:30min/mile. I didn't play entirely by the book for my long runs, and ran the them a little too fast (7:30min/mile).

I ran the race at 6:51 pace, which quite simply isn't quick enough to get you over the finish line in under 3 hours. Like Rusty, I ran 26.2 miles in well under 3 hours. It's just that at that point I was under the Brandenburg gate with another couple of hundred metres to go.

So next time, I'll train for a 2:55 marathon (or better), even if the target is sub 3. Hope this makes sense.

• Advertisement

*Edit*: Just checked, and SportsTracks says I covered 26.22 in 2:59:03. But then, there's no point in crying over split spilt milk. :D

Yesterday: 1 hour swimming lessons. Felt a little too easy. Too many people in the class.

Tonight: 5 Mile recovery run that ended up being more like a tempo run. I have boundless energy since finishing the marathon program, which kind of caught up with me today. It took four miles before I could tame the beast, and settle into the supposed recovery run.

Summary: 5 Miles @7:15, HR=151 (79%)

I based all of my training on a target of 3:07, which I revised downwards to 3:03 during the 12 week training program. So all of the p&D sessions I did were based on approximately that target time.

So when I did 5k intervals, the pace was based on McMillan's equivalent times of a 3:03 marathon (6:03min/mile). When I did LT sessions at 15K pace, it was based on McMillan's equivalent 15K time of 6:30min/mile. I didn't play entirely by the book for my long runs, and ran the them a little too fast (7:30min/mile).

I ran the race at 6:51 pace, which quite simply isn't quick enough to get you over the finish line in under 3 hours. Like Rusty, I ran 26.2 miles in well under 3 hours. It's just that at that point I was under the Brandenburg gate with another couple of hundred metres to go.

So next time, I'll train for a 2:55 marathon (or better), even if the target is sub 3. Hope this makes sense.

Makes perfect sense,couple of questions.
    What were you doing your marathon paced runs at ?
    Why is 7:30 pace to fast for LSR's ?
    How did you find the tempos and intervals at those paces,could you have done them faster ?

What were you doing your marathon paced runs at ?
    >>If I remember correctly, there was only one in the 12 week program - 15 miles with 12@pmp. I did this at 3:03 pace (just over 7min/mile).

Why is 7:30 pace too fast for LSR's ?
    >>P&D recommends long run pace as being faster than PMP+20% (and faster than PMP+10% for the last 5 miles), which would be 8:12/7:30min/mile. I tended to run the whole thing at around 7:30min/mile, but it was a comfortable pace, with a low HR, so probably suitable enough. It's not very well defined in P&D.

How did you find the tempos and intervals at those paces,could you have done them faster ?
    >>Difficult at the start, easy (enough) at the end. Yes, I could have done them slightly faster towards the end of the program.

Seems to me that if you had of set out for sub 3 from the beginning,more than likely it would have been achieved.

I also do my LSR's at 7:30 pace or a bit lower,and feel good doing them.
    As for tempos,i also found them hard the first few weeks but have really adapted to them.

Tonight: Another 5 mile run, this time at a slightly more sedate pace. At the moment, 7:20min/mile seems to be my easy/comfortable pace. I'd be happy enough if it stayed that way!

Summary: 5 Miles in 38 mins, @7:38/mile. HR=145 (75%).

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

Good man KC, the glorious evening balm didn't put you off. Quick question, how do you link that garmin connect page ? I want to do the same but I'd rather just the run was viewable rather than my whole dashboard, running history ? Do you know if that's possible ?

The best thing to do is to go to [settings][Default Privacy] and change this to private. Then any runs you feel comfortable sharing, just click on the lock symbol at the top of the summary tab, and mark it as public. Copy the url at the top of the page, and paste it into your thread of choice.

Browsers would still be able to see your name, and if they clicked on it, would be able to access any runs you have marked as public, but only those runs. I used to think that I should probably start my runs 100m from my house, but now to be honest, I couldn't be ar5ed. I have a lot of web-presence on line, so if someone wanted to track me down, they wouldn't have much difficulty.

4 quick miles, just to stretch the legs last night, @7:04min/mile.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Hey KC, how is the body holding up after Berlin, 2 weeks in do you plan to stick to the guidance of nothing too hectic for the 1st 4 weeks?

Advertisement