Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

8 x 400m Intervals with 200 metre walk/jog on icy paths in Shanganagh Park.
    Went very well. The rest day on Saturday (even if hungover!) was obviously very beneficial. Also did my HH Strength training in the right order this time (after my run). Average pace for the 400m reps - 3:32.

400m Reps times:
    1:20/1:25/1:23/1:27/1:25/1:28/1:23/1:26
    ...as compare to last week:
    1:33/1:30/1:31/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:30/1:33

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

8 x 400m Intervals with 200 metre walk/jog on icy paths in Shanganagh Park.
    Went very well. The rest day on Saturday (even if hungover!) was obviously very beneficial. Also did my HH Strength training in the right order this time (after my run). Average pace for the 400m reps - 3:32.

400m Reps times:
    1:20/1:25/1:23/1:27/1:25/1:28/1:23/1:26
    ...as compare to last week:
    1:33/1:30/1:31/1:30/1:29/1:29/1:30/1:33

Good work KC! I noticed a couple people doing these 8*400m sessions so I did one last week and it was tough. How long are your walking rests? I'm taking 75 secs between reps and I'm just wondering if its too short

Thanks MCOS. I was doing 200 metres rest, with 100m walk + 100m jog, so somewhere around 75-90 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great split times KC. 1:20 for your 1st one! You were keen!
    I'm very happy that the 12x400 interval for me was last week and not this week, so 6x400 doesn't sound so bad for this Thurs. I did them with a training partner which was great to be able to try keep pace with them and vice versa. We slow jogged for 60 secs between each repeat. The jog getting slower as we neared 12!

Thanks SJ! I never have a clue how fast I should be running these. Amadeus' training program suggests 5K pace, which seems a bit slow (closer to the pace I hope to run the race at). HH's advanced 10K program specifies mile pace (or 1500), so I went with closer to that pace.

Will definitely give these a go on the track at some stage. I reckon it'd be a lot easier when you don't have to contend with dogs, prams, ice, branches, zimmer frames, and doggy poos.

Did you do your 12x400m at mile pace? :eek:

• Advertisement

I'm a bit like yourself in terms of judging pace. I don't have full stats for my last interval stint, as training partner did the garmin trick, but did 6 of the 400s in 1:21, 3 in 1:25, 1 in 1:27 and 1 in 1:30. Very happy with those. We were doing out and back runs in Shangannagh last week and I figure the higher figures where for the 'slightly' uphiller of the 2 runs.

:eek: I was choking after 8 reps, 12 is some serious punishment!

Seem to have picked up a chest infection, so instead of 3 easy miles, did 3 miles around Ikea at very easy pace (1mile/hour), followed by heavy lifting, and three hours of endurance training in the traffic back to Dublin. Hopefully normal service will resume tomorrow. :(

5 brisk miles doing a loop around Shankill and finishing in Shanganagh Park. Pushed a little too hard, but missed my run yesterday, and this is the last real run until the race on Saturday. Pace: 4:12/km - 33:51 (which betters my previous best 5 mile time by a minute and a half). Included some short hills too, to try and simulate the Aware 10K route.

Still off target for my planned race time (by 3 secs/km). But the training work is done. I stuck pretty zealously to the training plan, and worked harder in most cases. Still harbouring some chest infection.

Thursday: HH Strength training
    Friday: 2 Miles easy.
    Saturday: Race. Party.

You're done a good prep KC. Good luck at the weekend. I'll be resting up completely on Friday. But a race / party Saturday sounds good to me.

• Advertisement

Finished in 40:30 (and could probably knock 10-15 seconds off that for the start), so a full minute ahead of my target. More detailed reprt to follow, once all the partying is done. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done krusty ...great time...enjoy the celebrations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great time Krusty, you must be thrilled with that run! You put in the training, and sure enough, got the result from it. There's no stopping you going sub40 on the back of this, well done.

Thanks guys. Just looked at Forerunner logs and my splits were:
    4:15
    4:07
    4:03
    4:03
    3:56
    3:51
    3:56
    3:58
    4:23 (Khyber Road!)
    3:38
    ...and a 5k split of 20:13/20:17.. So really happy with that.
    Official time was 40:32 and finished in 82nd place.

Was planning on taking all of next week off, but already looking forward to my next run.. Addicted? Most definitely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Well done Krusty it looks like you've carried your good form on from DM and a bit more aswell. Congrats. What's going to be next.

Well done KC, good run and nice kick in the last K. That base is holding strong for you. Sub 40 is almost in the bag :cool:

Thanks a million! I'm delighted to see that I have the same split for Slogger_Jogger up the Kyber. Now there's a confidence booster. :) (Even if he could have taken a nap for 20 seconds for every one of the other kms :D).

I'm struggling to decide what's next. Would love to do another 10k program immediately, and try and get some significant improvement, but, I'm signed up for the Connemarathon in March (which I plan to do more like an LSR) and then the real target is Edinburgh in May for a Boston Qualifier. There doesn't seem to be any 10Ks of note over the next two months (except the Athenry 10k, which I don't think I can get to). So I reckon I'll have to skip it and start training for Edinburgh using one of the longer P&D programs, and pick up a race or two along the way (and of course some BAC races!).

Not satisfied with signing up for Rotterdam I've signed up for Edinburgh too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Well done KC. Even splits and a strong finish. Satisfied Id say

New Plan Launch!
    I'm going to do the Pfitzinger & Douglas 24 week / Up to 55 miles per week plan in training for Edinburgh marathon, with the goal of beating 3:15 (Boston Qualifier), and getting as close to 3 hours as possible (for the next assault!). 11 weeks before Edinburgh, I will do the Connemarathon, instead of the weekly long run (26 miles instead of 20).

A 24 week marathon plan may seem over the top, but it's broken up with the Connemarathon in the middle, to keep the interest and motivation alive! I'm running the Connemarathon with a friend who is launching his marathon career, so is aiming for 3:45, which puts the pace bang on, for my long runs.

I'm going to start the plan a week early, as I'm off skiing with the family in early January, so will miss a week (but get added high-altitude aerobic training!). So, kick off day is.... Yesterday?! :eek:

• Advertisement

Monday - Week 24 - Day 1
    Cross-training - Football for 90 mins, covered 8kms. Scored two lucky goals. :)

Tuesday - Week 24 - Day 2
    7 Miles at aerobic pace, with 10 x 100m strides
    53 mins @7:34min/mile.

Exhausted, and it's only day 2 of a 168 day program. :o
    Late nights + booze + antibiotics + Ikea furniture assembly + running = Tired.

Hi Krusty just curious to what percentage of your max HR equates to aerobic pace, I'll be heading out myself later for the same run and I can't find my book. :D

Hi Woddle, P&D describes them as being between lactate threshold and recovery, so figure something between 70% and 80%. I've attached my heart rate zones spreadsheet, based on P&D's figures.

Cheers Krusty, and looking it over has just confirmed what I already know, I don't work hard enough during training. Cheers for the info

Berlin Marathon entry has just opened. You can order a bowl of pasta 9 months in advance. How's that for efficiency?!
    That's my goal for the second half of next year sorted. Registration.

I'd love to but its too soon after my A goal next year. I've entered Dublin again as its the 30th anniversary. I'm giving myself just 6 weeks to train for it but will be in good shape starting that phase. Keeping an eye on your progress KC as I understand you are looking for a Boston time next year.

I'm registered for three marathons already and will probably do Dublin also (for the craic). :o Might try and fit in some swimming lessons too next year, so I can take the first step on that path to follow you down the tri-road. Yep, Boston qualifier is the big one, hopefully as close to the 3 hour mark as I can get, which might give me a launch platform for my next goal. :D

Wednesday - Hal Higdon strength training.
    Thursday - 8 mile @aerobic pace. Hungover after friend returned from the US and demanded sacrifice to the beer gods, but still had a great run. Was considering postponing, but on day 4 of the training plan, not a good idea! Very cold out, but wore my new under-armour, which worked out great.

By the way, there's a sale in the new Elverys Sports shop in Dundrum - 33% off all Asics and under-armour gear.

Friday - Did my weekend long run two days early, as I'm headed to Limerick in the morning for the rest of the weekend. Felt hungry after 2.5 miles, and then from mile 8 onwards. Signs that I need to make sure I eat properly before longer runs. Have been getting too used to the 10k training runs which rarely last more than an hour. Tough passing a few restaurants and takeaways, where the smell of food was mouth-watering.

A cold, wet, dark hungry 11 miles in 1:26 (7:50/mile). Average HR - 136 (72%).

• Advertisement

On another quick note, I just passed the 1,000 mile mark on my Garmin Forerunner, since the 18th May. Wonder how long it will take to cover the next thousand!

Advertisement