Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Good run wrapping up a good year. Not sure I would have been such a gentleman as to drop in behind yer man to finish but fair play :P

Been thinking the last couple of times I've read this that the log name is a bit out of touch now - do you want me to edit it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great run KC, super time and there's plenty more there for the taking for you

I compared some times of a few other guys running the crookstown 10k against other recent 10ks and crookstown seemed to add about 90 seconds to their time - so the sooner you find the next 10k the better.

ps: on the drafting i'm with ---amadeus--- all is fair in love, war and 10k races

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Good run wrapping up a good year. Not sure I would have been such a gentleman as to drop in behind yer man to finish but fair play :P
    He turned out to be none-other than Daymobrew, of Boards-Cycle-forum-moderator-fame. You know how those cyclists are about drafting. Sure that'd equate to a life-time ban. :D

I notice I'm one second behind your PB over the 10k distance. I'll have to improve on that one pretty soon. ;)

Yeah, I'll come up with a new title soon, but I'll keep the log going, as I'd enjoy having a retrospective browse back at some point in the future, when all of this running lark is just a fond memory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

I notice I'm one second behind your PB over the 10k distance. I'll have to improve on that one pretty soon. ;)

That is until I push him to lower his pb in the spring ;)

Well done on your 10k result KC, good running. You have really improved the last 6 months so another step up next year will show even more impressive results which I'm sure are well within your range yet.

asimonov wrote: »
    Great run KC, super time and there's plenty more there for the taking for you

I compared some times of a few other guys running the crookstown 10k against other recent 10ks and crookstown seemed to add about 90 seconds to their time - so the sooner you find the next 10k the better.

ps: on the drafting i'm with ---amadeus--- all is fair in love, war and 10k races
    Thanks Asimonov. I'd hope that on a fairer day, when I'm a little more healthy, I would be due a little more time off of that. I ran 38:15 in a personal time trial before, so that'll be my target for the next 10k. McMillan's equivalent for a sub 3 is 38:21, so gotta try to beat that, for the confidence boost before the next marathon program kicks off.

I spoke to daymobrew on the Crookstown 10k thread, and he reckoned he had me covered. TBH I was just relieved to get the sub-40 in the bag, after a week of cold and flu.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Thanks Asimonov. I'd hope that on a fairer day, when I'm a little more healthy, I would be due a little more time off of that. I ran 38:15 in a personal time trial before, so that'll be my target for the next 10k. McMillan's equivalent for a sub 3 is 38:21, so gotta try to beat that, for the confidence boost before the next marathon program kicks off.

I spoke to daymobrew on the Crookstown 10k thread, and he reckoned he had me covered. TBH I was just relieved to get the sub-40 in the bag, after a week of cold and flu.

You're a cert for a 37:XX next time around, have you found a 10K to do in december? would like to do one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done KC , great going on the back of the flu , will be watching this space to see how you get on in your next 10k race , expect you will smash that time, i expect you will pull sub 38 out of the bag pretty soon if you have already ran 38.15 in training .

Pah, I don't believe in certainties!
    The Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park, on the 12th December is a good race. Was a bit icy last year, but a nice route, and nice to get a race in, in the middle of December. More info here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I didn't do any specific 10k training. The run/pb was on the tail-end of marathon training

I'm the same ( as are the majority on here,i would imagine ).
    The only race i ever trained specifically for was the marathon and i fcuked that up...

Think i'll just wing it in future,serves me well for the shorter stuff.

I have 5 weeks to the half down here so i am going to do the last 4 weeks of the HH advanced half program.
    Looks tough,considering im a bit sluggish at the minute,but i'll have a go and see how i get on.

You will get that 10k time down further Krusty,no bother to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Pah, I don't believe in certainties!
    The Aware 10k in the Phoenix Park, on the 12th December is a good race. Was a bit icy last year, but a nice route, and nice to get a race in, in the middle of December. More info here

Why dont you come down to the sunny south east for the half...its on the same day !

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'll come up with a new title soon, but I'll keep the log going, as I'd enjoy having a retrospective browse back at some point in the future, when all of this running lark is just a fond memory.

I saw that on the "Best of..." thread - I'll admit it, I smiled :p Must look for a fast (or mismeasured and short!) 10k here soon...

Drop me a PM on teh thread name whenever - no worries keeping the content and changing the title.

Tonight: Started in week 4 of an 8 week advanced HH 10k program. Called for a 3 mile tempo run, but I screwed up. I forgot the watch was on average pace, instead of pace per mile, and ran the second mile at 6:15, which was a little too quick. No idea how I'm going to manage intervals in the dark tomorrow. I have never run 400m intervals at 1 mile pace before (in fact I may never have run at mile pace before) but I'll give it a go.

Summary: 4.3 miles @7:06/mile in 30:30, HR=156

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

Are you mixing the 10k training plan with Barcelona training? Barca is only 12 weeks after Aware.

I start training for Barcelona next week but hope to run two 10ks, including Aware, in December.

Clum wrote: »
    Are you mixing the 10k training plan with Barcelona training? Barca is only 12 weeks after Aware.
    I start training for Barcelona next week but hope to run two 10ks, including Aware, in December.
    No, I'm going to focus on 10k training for the next few weeks, and start the P&D 12 week program after the aware 10k. I will run slightly longer than the 10k program recommends at the weekends though, so my base is good enough to start on the new program (which kicks off at around 35 mles pw).

Tonight: A hero session tonight (one of those runs when you know everyone else will take one look out the window and head for the treadmill). I was soaked by the time my Garmin picked up a satellite signal. 1 Mile warm-up, while I tried to figure out where I could do my 400m intervals. I settled on a dark lonely road between the local park and the graveyard. Pitch black, but also dead quiet (boom, boom). Running through streams of water may have contributed to missing my target pace, but mostly it was because it was pitch black, and I had never run at mile pace before. I also didn't notice the end of the interval a few times, and kept running into my rest period (pain in the a$$!).

Still, glad I went out and got the session done, in conditions that will make running through winter seem easy by comparison.

Average pace for the intervals was 5:37. Should have been around 5:22 or better. I won't complain. It felt suitably tough.

Summary: 4.75 miles inc. 9x400m @ fast.

A couple of runs:

Thursday: 3 Mile recovery run at easy pace. A little stiff from the previous days intervals, but at least I wasn't wading through rivers. 24 Minutes, @7:47min/mile

Today: 5 Mile run, with a nice climb up Quarry Road. Haven't done this run for a while, and the hill wasn't as bad as I remember, which may be a good sign.
    Summary: 5 miles in 35 mins, @7:10 min/mile, with a nice hill climb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Tonight: A hero session tonight (one of those runs when you know everyone else will take one look out the window and head for the treadmill). I was soaked by the time my Garmin picked up a satellite signal. 1 Mile warm-up, while I tried to figure out where I could do my 400m intervals. I settled on a dark lonely road between the local park and the graveyard. Pitch black, but also dead quiet (boom, boom). Running through streams of water may have contributed to missing my target pace, but mostly it was because it was pitch black, and I had never run at mile pace before. I also didn't notice the end of the interval a few times, and kept running into my rest period (pain in the a$$!).

Still, glad I went out and got the session done, in conditions that will make running through winter seem easy by comparison.

Average pace for the intervals was 5:37. Should have been around 5:22 or better. I won't complain. It felt suitably tough.

Summary: 4.75 miles inc. 9x400m @ fast.

you mad bas****

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

you mad bas****

I don't think that was quite the response he was looking for. More a well done old chap and a clap on the back.:D

you mad bas****
    Different strokes, for different folks! Madness in my mind is running 50mpw 21 weeks before your target marathon, or doing a long run on 3.5 hours sleep. :)

I don't think that was quite the response he was looking for. More a well done old chap and a clap on the back.:D
    Less of the old please. The rest is fine. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Today: Highly enjoyable easy 10 mile loop around Greystones with a buddy. I forget sometimes how enjoyable running is, when concentrating on pace, programs, intervals, etc. So sometimes a run like today will suprise me, and remind me of why I do this running lark. A bit of banter and a comfortable pace with some nice weather, and the occasional nice view really makes for a smashing run, and the miles just fly by.

Summary: 10 miles, in 1:24, @8:26min/mile. HR=131.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Different strokes, for different folks! Madness in my mind is running 50mpw 21 weeks before your target marathon, or doing a long run on 3.5 hours sleep. :)

Better not go up to 70 anytime soon so...............

Mad b****** can mean alot of things including great session.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,511 ✭✭✭daymobrew

If I was behind someone and had something in the tank, I wouldn't think twice about making a dash for it.
    He turned out to be none-other than Daymobrew, of Boards-Cycle-forum-moderator-fame. You know how those cyclists are about drafting. Sure that'd equate to a life-time ban. :D
    Yeah, drafting is a big no-no in tri/duathlon racing. I was tempted to slow down and catch you with a trailing leg.

daymobrew wrote: »
    If I was behind someone and had something in the tank, I wouldn't think twice about making a dash for it. Yeah, drafting is a big no-no in tri/duathlon racing. I was tempted to slow down and catch you with a trailing leg.
    LOL. Figured you'd find your way here eventually (everybody has to google themselves eventually!). Would you not have considered a gentle toe-tap, like O'Driscoll's fine effort yesterday?

I kind of like the idea of full-contact running. Could eventually become a mad-max type of thing, with body armour, mohicans, and blood everywhere. That actually sounds a bit like a typical IMRA race.

Last night: Disastrous swimming lesson. Week 2 in the advanced class, so it's pretty quick 25m exercises (three widths). After struggling to keep up for a while, I was having thoughts about dropping down to the previous class, where I could at least enjoy myself while drowning), when suddenly I got overrun by cramps in both calf muscles. I think this is down to dehydration, but that knowledge is small comfort when you're in the middle of the pool, with both calf muscles twisted into spasm. I managed to struggle my way to the side of the pool, where I noticed that somehow I had ripped a previous wound open (damn you foul carved chicken) and was leaking my vital essence into the pool. So with both calfs still in spasm, I tried to eject myself as quickly as possible out of the pool, and out of the class. So with head held low, legs in spasm, and blood dripping from my hand, I headed for the showers.

A setback, yes. But I have not given up on you, advanced class. I'll be back. Maybe not next week, or the week after, but soon, I will be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

That swim sounds truely horrible..... It seems swimming is something that running legs need time to adapt to. Fair play for the resilient attitude!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I noticed that somehow I had ripped a previous wound open and was leaking my vital essence into the pool. So with head held low, legs in spasm, and blood dripping from my hand,

I was sure that the "vital essence" was secreted from a different, more discreet, part of the body??...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Don't mind me, just having a whinge. I'm enjoying the swimming overall, I just think I bit off too much of the cherry with my recent promotion! I'll look forward to swimming again, if I drop down a level, which will help ensure I really get something out of it.

:)
    vital essence, biting cherries. This log should be 18-rated.
    What do you do at the pool Eliwallach?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

This is why I refuse to think about doing triathlons. There's not a hope of me jumping into a pool when there's lads like you running around excreting bodily fluids all over the show ..... :)

Just catching up on you log now. Nice running on the 10k - I reckon you're faster than that though. Good luck with the training.

• Advertisement

I noticed that somehow I had ripped a previous wound open (damn you foul carved chicken) and was leaking my vital essence into the pool.... So with head held low, legs in spasm, and blood dripping from my hand, I headed for the showers.

I have to say I didn't think it was your hand that bird had carved up... :D

Advertisement