Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: Instead of doing a four mile recovery run, headed up to Ballinastoe with some friends, and hiked through the snow up to the top pf and around Djouce. Lovely way to rid yourself of the 6,000 calorie xmas dinner. Will post some piccies if I get a chance. Beautiful up there in the snow.

Summary: 8 mile snowy mountain hike in 3:34.

Today: 16 Miles in the only place in Roscommon County that isn't frozen and hidden in freezing fog. Supposed to include 10 miles @pmp, but the temperature reached -10'C, so just achieving the mileage was plenty enough achievement. Still, the pace was good, and loops around the forest in Moate Park could almost be classed as hill-repeats, so I'm happy enough with completing the session. Wonderful scenery in the forest, with every tree, branch, leaf and spider-web shrouded in frost, with Robin red-breasts chasing me around the forest.

Summary: 16 freezing miles in 1:54, @7:05/mile, HR=153

Today: 5 miserable miles in the park, in the sleety wet cold dark. Had to miss the much more enjoyable sounding run up Annacuragh, in favour of driving a tired and grumpy family 100 miles through sheeting rain.
    It's night's like this where I question my sanity. Had I been as devoted to school-work as I am to running, I would probably be a retired surgeon at this stage.
    Summary: in 40 mins, @8:08/mile, HR=133

Today: 10 Mile LT run with 5 miles @ Half Marathon pace. Like so many others have reported, gale force winds, and horrendous sleet made for a horrible run. But a few good things happened:
    1) I completed the session despite a massive reluctance to head out (Super Mario Bros with the kids was a lot more fun)
    2) I took about a minute off of my 5 mile PB (if it had been race conditions)
    3) I hit the numbers bang-on, despite the horrendous weather, and felt comfortable enough at the end, which bodes well for the next LT session.

The good thing about heading out and doing the scheduled session, is that it leaves you on a high for the rest of the day. I'm still wracked with guilt mildly annoyed over missing a 5 mile recovery run on Stephen's day (in favour of an 8 mile hike), so missing a hard session and I'd be losing sleep (I know, I'm a strange one). Anyroads, another one ticked off. They only get harder from here on in. 11 Miles tomorrow, to make it 42 miles over 4 days, but taking a week off from Saturday to hit the snowy slopes.

Summary: 10 miles in 70 mins, @7:00/mile, HR=149 (including 5 miles @6:20/mile in 31:30)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Today: 10 Mile LT run with 5 miles @ Half Marathon pace. Like so many others have reported, gale force winds, and horrendous sleet made for a horrible run. But a few good things happened:
    1) I completed the session despite a massive reluctance to head out (Super Mario Bros with the kids was a lot more fun)
    2) I took about a minute off of my 5 mile PB (if it had been race conditions)
    3) I hit the numbers bang-on, despite the horrendous weather, and felt comfortable enough at the end, which bodes well for the next LT session.

The good thing about heading out and doing the scheduled session, is that it leaves you on a high for the rest of the day. I'm still wracked with guilt mildly annoyed over missing a 5 mile recovery run on Stephen's day (in favour of an 8 mile hike), so missing a hard session and I'd be losing sleep (I know, I'm a strange one). Anyroads, another one ticked off. They only get harder from here on in. 11 Miles tomorrow, to make it 42 miles over 4 days, but taking a week off from Saturday to hit the snowy slopes.

Summary: 10 miles in 70 mins, @7:00/mile, HR=149 (including 5 miles @6:20/mile in 31:30)

Snap on the runs today - mind you, i took it a little easier on myself and split it into a 2 mile and 3 mile with recovery between. Pace was the same though. It's great that you're nailing the paces early in the schedule. Keep it going.

• Advertisement

Today: 11 Mile aerobic run around the hills and 'burbs of south county Dublin. 4 Days on the trot at around 11 miles per day left the legs a little tired, but this run was good for the soul, as the rain and wind had been banished in favour of sunshine. A great way to wrap up the year.

Summary: 11.x miles in 1:25, @7:22/mile, HR=147.

Summary for year:
    1,674 Miles in 219 hours, @ 7:54min/mile, Average HR=146.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

+1 to today's run. A fine few days running for you, capping off a fine running year. Great things will happen if you continue that into 2010 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

You've had a great year KC, hear's to 2010.

Today: 5 Mile recovery snow run, which makes up for the missed run on Stephen's Day (I knew I'd get back to it at some stage!). Did this run more to make sure I started off the year on the right footing, and get an enjoyable trudge through the snow, in the Innov8 snowclaws. Legs quite tired, but I probably won't get to run again until tomorrow week, preferring sub -15'C temperatures, alpine mountains, skis and hot festive drinks over the next week (if I can get to the airport in the early hours of the morning). So a new 1,000 mile challenge begins, and as last year, I give everyone a week's head-start. Fly my pretties, fly!

Summary (for year so far :)): 5 miles, @8:16/mile, in 41 mins, HR=140.

It's a tickover week for me, as I'm focussing on the the slopes and having a good time, but the hotel has a dread-mill, and I just happened to bring my running shoes, so between afternoon beers and evening beers, I've done a few miles here and there.

Saturday: 10kms on the dreadmill, in around 44 minutes, 1% incline: altitude: 703m above sea-level.
    Sunday: 23 miles on the slopes, followed by 5 miles on the dreadmill. 1% - 37 mins. God I hate these things. The pre-run beers didn't help, but I am on holidays.
    Monday: 27 Miles on the slopes, and another 5 miles on the dreadmill. 1% - 36 mins.This altitude training has got to be doing me some good.

I plan to do a few more runs, but I really can't abide running on a rolling road, but the road conditions here make it entirely impossible to run anywhere else. Right, the weis-beers I put out in the balcony for an hour should have just about defrosted, so it's time to sign-out for some more beer. :)

• Advertisement

Today: Another 23 miles of ski, followed by 5 miles on the dreadmill, in 36 mins. Thinking this ski-lark must be good for strengthening the calf muscles and the quads, as they're knackered every evening. I hear there's probably more snow and ice back home. I'll buy some snow shoes before I head back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

well done on squeezing some runs in considering you're on the piste!
    are you being disciplined with the apres ski?

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    well done on squeezing some runs in considering you're on the piste!
    are you being disciplined with the apres ski?
    Don't worry, not even the remotest bit disciplined. They have Frasicaner weis bier on draught. On draught. I just found a new beer, called Steigl Paracelcus Zwichl, which is just incredible, and it would be criminal not to drink it at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Don't worry, not even the remotest bit disciplined. They have Frasicaner weis bier on draught. On draught.

One of my favourite beers. You lucky sod:o. Enjoy

Abhainn wrote: »
    One of my favourite beers. You lucky sod:o. Enjoy

I did! Dunkel Franciskaner.. Mmmmm.....
    79EDF792736E4129ABAE038EB0A7AEAF-240.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Pshaw! Call that snow?:p

Today: Sadly, after just a three hour delay, the holiday is just a collection of beer and snow memories, but thankfully it means I can get off of the damn treadmill. There has actually been more snow in Dublin than there was in Austria, but I wasn't going to let that stop me, and hit the park an hour after arriving home from the airport, for a 5 mile recovery run, before tomorrow's planned 17 mile run. And it was great. The Inov8 mudclaw's munching through the snow and slippy paths, and the headtorch highlighting the fresh flurry of snow. It convinced me that 17 miles in the hills could be the way to go tomorrow, if the conditions are equally as good.

Summary: 5 miles in 43 mins, @8:23 min/mile, HR=130

Pshaw! Call that snow?:p
    No, I call that beer and Goulash soup.. Yum!

Today: 17 Miles in the slush and snow. What a day for a long steady run. If it had been yesterday, conditions would have been perfect (good snow everywhere) or tomorrow (clear roads) but today was a mixture of deep snow, ice, slush and clear roads. No point in complaining though, everyone's in the same situation. Headed out in the mudclaws, and realized that all of the roads outside of the estate were clear of snow. Hmm. Not a great for the 'no-support' Inov8s. Change of plan. Headed up a shortcut to higher ground, up a stream-bed, which sadly hadn't frozen. Soggy feet, and only on mile 1. :( Three miles into the run, there's a car blocking the road. Idiots decided to drive a rear wheel drive automatic up an icy hill, before getting nervous and deciding to do a-turn. Stuck. Heroic Krusty to the rescue. 20 minutes wasted, but the gallant clown managed to triumph over the idiots stupidity and sent them on their ungrateful way, now sweaty and cold (so much for not complaining!).

Arrived in the snowy Carrigologan, dodged a few snowboarders :confused:, and hid my water belt in a dense fir tree. Ran a loop in the deep snow, which was tough, with the rolling hills, but turned out to be 1.44 miles, which is handy enough to cover the 10 miles. Adventurous Krusty soon got bored, and started including the top of the hill, mountain bike trails (bad idea!) and alternative loops. Lots of dog walkers, people sliding down the hills on trays and dustbin lids, and the odd squirrel (shouldn't they be hibernating?).

12 miles done, time to head back down the hill. Lost my bottle (literally and figuratively), with calf muscles knotted, the last 5 miles were torturous. I arrived back into the house shattered tired, but glad to have completed the long run in these conditions. Hopefully all of the hills will count for something, as the speed was way off.

Summary: 17 miles in 2:33, @9 min/mile, HR=145

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

17 miles is a cracking run considering the conditions and that you are in post-piste (or p***ed) mode :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

I did! Dunkel Franciskaner.. Mmmmm.....
    79EDF792736E4129ABAE038EB0A7AEAF-240.jpg

Thanks for rubbing it in KC;)

Yesterday: One hour swimming lessons. A new coach who'll push me a little more than the last two coaches so happy enough about that. Should make enough progress to push me on to the next level.

Tonight: Just when you thought it was safe to go outside - 5 Mile recovery run. Every week seems to be trying to trump the one that came before it, in terms of appalling weather. But after spending 1.5 hours in the car on the way home, rain, sleet snow and wind wasn't going to stop me from getting out for a quick run. Still some residual stiffness in the calf's and achilles, but the recovery run soon cleared that up. Good result.

Summary: 5 Miles in 41:15, @8:13/mile, HR=133

Today: Brilliant run - 12 aerobic miles, and I didn't feel the time passing. Nice to get a mild day for a change. Pace crept up too, but felt comfortable the entire time. Big loop around Dun Laoghaire, nice down by the sea, but mostly crappy concrete paths otherwise. But when you feel strong, you just wanna keep on going. S'funny, I find it easier to do a 12 mile run at 7:08 pace, than a 5 mile run on a treadmill, at 7:40 pace. Thoroughly enjoyed the run.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:25, @7:08, HR=146

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Today: Brilliant run - 12 aerobic miles, and I didn't feel the time passing.
    S'funny, I find it easier to do a 12 mile run at 7:08 pace, than a 5 mile run on a treadmill, at 7:40 pace. Thoroughly enjoyed the run.

Summary: 12 miles in 1:25, @7:08, HR=146
    I hear ya , have been doing bit on the threadmill , its making ya hate running , cant wait to get outside , maybe tomorrow , training going well ?

I know that treadmills have their uses, but to be honest, I'll run outside in -10'C or +37'C to avoid running on one. If I could no longer run outside and could only run on a treadmill, I would give up running on the spot. I have no problem with them in principle, they just drive me mental. The same is true of the trainer I bought before Christmas for 100 euro (I hope the OH isn't reading this!).

Training is going great. I genuinely thought I would lose some momentum over the week of holidays, but I managed a fairly respectable 32 miles over the week (much of it in a treddie), so am happy enough with that. I haven't compared the numbers, but I definitely 'feel' faster than I did when I last embarked on this program, last June. So fingers crossed I'll remain injury free and be able to keep up the progress

How are you getting on? It's hard to track your progress without the ol' training log. I had a great run in Roscommon a couple of weeks back, convering 16 miles in the forest in Moate Park. A lovely spot. I'll have to make it out to Lough Key at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

The same is true of the trainer I bought before Christmas for 100 euro (I hope the OH isn't reading this!)..

+1, i cant hack mine. its only for when im injured now
    Training is going great. I genuinely thought I would lose some momentum over the week of holidays, but I managed a fairly respectable 32 miles over the week (much of it in a treddie), so am happy enough with that. I haven't compared the numbers, but I definitely 'feel' faster than I did when I last embarked on this program, last June. So fingers crossed I'll remain injury free and be able to keep up the progress!.

you ve certainly pushed on a hell of a lot in the last year. just goes to show what consistency does!really hope you annilhate 3 hours next time

Tonight: It's a bad idea doing back to back tough'ish runs, but I won't get a chance to hit the pavement tomorrow, so had to get it done today. 9 mile LT run, with 4 miles at 15k-1/2M pace. Tried to hit the park, which is my usual haunt for fast paced runs (complete with head-torch), but the paths were lethal, and didn't fancy slip-sliding for 4 miles at 6:20 a mile, so headed for the dreaded N11, which thankfully was a lot more grippy. First 2.5 miles were easy enough, and then I turned back for home, and realized why! A slight headwind.

Over the last mile I was struggling, but thankfully, I spied a runner ahead and used him as a target for the last mile. As I passed him, it turned out to be none other than Ray Darcy. Thanks for the help Ray! Finished the four miles with a bit of dry heaving (cold/sinus infection kind of crap) and realized I'd been running them too fast anyway. An easy two miles to get back to the house.

Summary: 9 miles with 4 Miles @6:14, in 1:04, HR=151

Yesterday: A sneaky 4 miles before htting the town, in 30 minutes, @7:21/mile, HR=147

Today: 20 mile LSR - The wonderful weather deserved a wonderful run, and that's exactly what happened. Plan called for 17 miles, but I felt like covering 18 miles. With 8 miles to go, I was 10 miles away from home, so ended up doing 20. Much inspired by Peckam's fine run this weekend, when my pace naturally picked up a bit after the first 9 miles, I determined to let it slide, instead of backing off, and so finished my first 20 mile run since the Dublin City Marathon in October, at an average pace of 7:05/mile, which never felt very uncomfortable, and looking at my HR afterwards, was bang on the mark for a long run, according to Pfitzinger and Douglas.

The run took in Stepaside, Lamb's Cross (via Slatecabin Lane) and into the jam packed Marley Park, before turning back via Cabinteely Park - A nice new route, with sadly way too many concrete paths. Running along one of the cycle tracks in Sandyford, I suddenly found myself ankle-deep in thick wet mud, which would be fine in the Inov8s, but was a right pain, in the Mizuno's. I took two breaks to drink some water, and also took a gel, so was running pretty lean for a run almost 30 seconds a mile faster than my last 20 mile run. so good tidings today, it's time for a nap. :P

Summary: 20 miles in 2:21, @7:05/mile, HR=149 (79%).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Dammit, faster pace and lower %MaxHR than my run yesterday. Thunder well and truly stolen! ;)

Great run!

Advertisement