Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Peckham wrote: »
    Dammit, faster pace and lower %MaxHR than my run yesterday. Thunder well and truly stolen! ;)

Great run!
    If I had to run the 21st mile, I would have been a lot slower. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Great session Krusty....well done

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Today: 20 mile LSR - The wonderful weather deserved a wonderful run, and that's exactly what happened. Plan called for 17 miles, but I felt like covering 18 miles. With 8 miles to go, I was 10 miles away from home, so ended up doing 20. Much inspired by Peckam's fine run this weekend, when my pace naturally picked up a bit after the first 9 miles, I determined to let it slide, instead of backing off, and so finished my first 20 mile run since the Dublin City Marathon in October, at an average pace of 7:05/mile, which never felt very uncomfortable, and looking at my HR afterwards, was bang on the mark for a long run, according to Pfitzinger and Douglas.

The run took in Stepaside, Lamb's Cross (via Slatecabin Lane) and into the jam packed Marley Park, before turning back via Cabinteely Park - A nice new route, with sadly way too many concrete paths. Running along one of the cycle tracks in Sandyford, I suddenly found myself ankle-deep in thick wet mud, which would be fine in the Inov8s, but was a right pain, in the Mizuno's. I took two breaks to drink some water, and also took a gel, so was running pretty lean for a run almost 30 seconds a mile faster than my last 20 mile run. so good tidings today, it's time for a nap. :P

Summary: 20 miles in 2:21, @7:05/mile, HR=149 (79%).
    Thats impressive stats mate. Forget sub 3. Sub 2.50 is on the cards there i think:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Thats impressive stats mate. Forget sub 3. Sub 2.50 is on the cards there i think:D
    Thanks man. I can easily hit 2:50, if they let me take my motorbike. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Today: 20 mile LSR - The wonderful weather deserved a wonderful run, and that's exactly what happened. Plan called for 17 miles, but I felt like covering 18 miles. With 8 miles to go, I was 10 miles away from home, so ended up doing 20. Much inspired by Peckam's fine run this weekend, when my pace naturally picked up a bit after the first 9 miles, I determined to let it slide, instead of backing off, and so finished my first 20 mile run since the Dublin City Marathon in October, at an average pace of 7:05/mile, which never felt very uncomfortable, and looking at my HR afterwards, was bang on the mark for a long run, according to Pfitzinger and Douglas.

The run took in Stepaside, Lamb's Cross (via Slatecabin Lane) and into the jam packed Marley Park, before turning back via Cabinteely Park - A nice new route, with sadly way too many concrete paths. Running along one of the cycle tracks in Sandyford, I suddenly found myself ankle-deep in thick wet mud, which would be fine in the Inov8s, but was a right pain, in the Mizuno's. I took two breaks to drink some water, and also took a gel, so was running pretty lean for a run almost 30 seconds a mile faster than my last 20 mile run. so good tidings today, it's time for a nap. :P

Summary: 20 miles in 2:21, @7:05/mile, HR=149 (79%).

Alot of lads are putting in good sessions over the weekend. Great session. I see Barcelona hand out bottles rahter than cups. Great confidence booster for a first long one.

• Advertisement

Last night: One hour swim - went grand.. Finding the current class a little too easy these days. I'm kind of between classes at the moment. Too good for the current group, and not good enough for the top class. Practice, practice, practice, and hopefully I'll be able in 6 weeks time.

Tonight: 6 Mile recovery run along the Bray sea-front. Strong headwind while heading south, but I was in no hurry (this was more of a soul run, than cardiac or physio). Mumford and Sons on the squalkbox for company, and the gentle nudge of the wind, taking me home. Bliss.

Summary: 6 Miles in 46 mins, @7:46/mile, HR=128.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

I'm kind of between classes at the moment. Too good for the current group, and not good enough for the top class. .

I remember being stuck in that limbo back when I was 11 and in Greystones Swimming Club training in the (sadly no longer) Pres Bray pool, doing widths in the middle of the pool and unable to make the step up to the big kids in the deep end where it looked like much more fun...although scary because it was 2 metres deep, and I was about 60cm over my head.

Peckham wrote: »
    I remember being stuck in that limbo back when I was 11 and in Greystones Swimming Club training in the (sadly no longer) Pres Bray pool, doing widths in the middle of the pool and unable to make the step up to the big kids in the deep end where it looked like much more fun...although scary because it was 2 metres deep, and I was about 60cm over my head.
    How to make a man feel small! ;)

Have you tried the new pool in Bray? It's very nice, if a little expensive, but they do some pretty good deals at weekends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭MCOS

great work going on here KC, fabulous LSR at the weekend and swimming coming along nicely too. Well done :)

Thanks MCOS, though I reckon the swimming needs a lot more development yet. The runnign does seem to be going well, and I feel like I've made another small step, doing my aerobic runs in the 6:55-7:20/mile pace, which would have been very tough last year.

• Advertisement

Today: 10 miles Vo2Max, with 5 x 1k @5K pace
    Was exhausted all day, so not the right frame of mind for doing 1k intervals, but if it's in the schedule, might as well give it a go. 3 Mile warm-up, as the fog crept in from the sea, and the temperatures plummeted. Then did the intervals:

3:29/3:29/3:29/3:32/3:30 - Average pace: 5:39 / Average HR: 161

For some reason, I couldn't get into the right speed zone for the 4th interval, even though I kept on pushing the pace. I think it must have been a GPS error, as I had no problems with the 5th interval. Overall, I found these tough, but sure if they were easy, we'd all be flying about the place. Pretty shagged afterwards. Will definitely take it handy enough for tomorrow's 12 miler.

Summary: 10 miles, e/5x1k, @5K pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

You're running well Krusty, even when you're tired! When is Barca?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Great session when are you planning your sub 17:30 attempt - MSB?

rigal wrote: »
    You're running well Krusty, even when you're tired! When is Barca?
    Thanks Rigal. Barcelona's on the 7th March, so just over 6 weeks! So I'm half way through my program. Beginning to feel the miles. Don't know how people like Village_runner get up to 70 or 80 miles.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Great session when are you planning your sub 17:30 attempt - MSB?
    Haha! Don't think I'll be running 17:30 any time soon! Hmm. just checked McMillan, and I should have been running them at 5:47 pace, not 5:39. That explains a lot! Should make the next V02max a little easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Wow, savage interval splits KC!! Is it a 405 you use? you were taking about zones, does the watch really help you manage the intervals? I have a 50 but thinking about upgrading. I have to hit the lap button when im doing intervals as you can only get it to auto lap for one distance (eg. 1km) but my recovery would only be half a km. so thats a bit of a pain

what recovery did you take on the 1k's?

Hi Kenny, Can you install Garmin Training Centre and use it with the 50?
    If so, you can create an advanced workout, and upoload it the watch, which might include something like:

3 Mile Warm-up
    Stretching (until I hit the lap button)
    Repeat:
    Go until I travel a certain distance - 1km
    Go for a certain amount of time - 2 mins
    3 Mile Warm-down

But you can also create a more simplistic interval session without using GTC. On the 405, if you go to [Training][Interval] you can set up a session from there. Oh, and it was 2 mins, which felt about right. P&D stipulated around 50-90% of the interval time, but I already had a program set up for 2 mins. Looking at the HR curve, I was re-covering to the right place to start agian. Oh, and thanks!

Yesterday: 12 mile Aerobic run, which was difficult, because of the strong winds, and the hard 10 mile run the day before. Achilles is a little sensitive, so have to keep an eye on it.

Summary: 12 miles, in 1:31, @7:39, HR=141

Today: 5 Mile recovery run in 39 mins, @7:54, HR=139.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

First update after the outage.

Proof of addiction!!

• Advertisement

First update after the outage.

Proof of addiction!!
    :D

It's funny, cos it's true. :)

Today: 6.5 Mile recovery run, with 8x strides. Nice chilled run with a buddy who's launching his training for the Connemara half, around Sandyford. Finished up with 8x strides in a car-park, with lots of bemused apartment dwellers looking on. You really have to be thick skinned as a runner (particularly with the amount of lycra you're forced to wear!).

Summary: 6.5 Miles in 56 mins, pace: 8:40/mile, HR=128

Today: 16 Mile run with 12 miles @PMP. This was a tough run. The first 6 miles of the PMP run (after a 2 mile warm-up) were into a gentle head wind, and the PMP run finished with a tough uphill climb, which left me bent over and heaving. Who ever said running was good for you?! At the moment, 26 miles at this pace seems like it's a long, long way away, but with another 6 weeks of training, a proper taper, good diet, some water stops along the way, a few gels and some spectators to cheer us on, it might prove a little easier.

Planned Marathon Pace run: 12 miles @6:41/mile, HR=154

Summary: 16 miles, @6:55/mile, HR=152

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

:eek: nice! Whats max number of PMP miles you plan to do in a single LSR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Today: 16 Mile run with 12 miles @PMP. This was a tough run. The first 6 miles of the PMP run (after a 2 mile warm-up) were into a gentle head wind, and the PMP run finished with a tough uphill climb, which left me bent over and heaving. Who ever said running was good for you?! At the moment, 26 miles at this pace seems like it's a long, long way away, but with another 6 weeks of training, a proper taper, good diet, some water stops along the way, a few gels and some spectators to cheer us on, it might prove a little easier.

Summary: 16 miles, @6:55/mile, HR=152

thats last sundays 20 miles at 7.05 pace stil in your legs.
    today you got it done thats all you set out to do.
    Also you did a fast one during the week.

:eek: nice! Whats max number of PMP miles you plan to do in a single LSR?
    Would you believe that's the last of the PMP runs in the schedule, except for a 2 mile PMP run 4 days before the race! Lots of shorter runs at half-marathon pace and 20 milers. I'll keep the 20s brisk enough though, and try and work in some PMP miles into the latter part of those runs. Half way there, only 6 weeks to go!

Yesterday: 1 Hour swimming lessons - a pretty decent session, but the body was pretty tired

Today: Supposed to do a 6 mile recovery run with strides, but the Achilles has been giving me grief for the last few days, along with a touch of shin-splint-itus. Physios away for a couple of days looking after real athletes, so going to take it easy for a few days. So, still did the 6 miles, but opted for a pmp mile instead of the strides. Have to keep an eye on the achilles for a while. Couldn't hack an injury at this stage.
    Summary: 6 miles @7:41/mile, HR=133

Tonight: 12 Miles Aerobic - For the reasons above, decided to take it easy on this run, so headed for the hills, complete with head-torch and audio book of Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. it was my first time listening to an audio book on the run, and I have to say the experience was great. Will definitely do it again, for long easy runs. A very pleasant run. Quite a few dogs, but they were a lot more civilized than the towny variety.

Summary: 12 Miles in 1:31, @7:37/mile, HR=137 :eek:
    Audiobooks must be very calming!),

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Tonight: 12 Miles Aerobic - For the reasons above, decided to take it easy on this run, so headed for the hills, complete with head-torch and audio book of Robert Heinlein's The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. it was my first time listening to an audio book on the run, and I have to say the experience was great. Will definitely do it again, for long easy runs. A very pleasant run. Quite a few dogs, but they were a lot more civilized than the towny variety.

Summary: 12 Miles in 1:31, @7:37/mile, HR=137 :eek:
    Audiobooks must be very calming!),

Does the audio work on 400m reps ;)

• Advertisement

LOL. No!
    I have a specific playlist for intervals, but if I remember correctly, when I was doing the 400s, the only thing I could hear was my heart trying to burst out of my chest, like a scene from 'the Thing'.

Advertisement