Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

LOL. No!
    I have a specific playlist for intervals, but if I remember correctly, when I was doing the 400s, the only thing I could hear was my heart trying to burst out of my chest, like a scene from 'the Thing'.

I dont ever bother bring my ipod/radio for faster paced runs,only for aerobic and lsr's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: Sneaky 'off-the-plan' 5 mile recovery run. I think it's because I wanted to hear the next chapter in the audio-book. :) Achilles felt pretty good, so fingers crossed. Can you run through such things, and make them better?!

Summary: 5 miles in 38 minutes, pace: 7:36, HR=142
    (Recovery run faster and harder than aerobic run?).

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

Krusty,
    Quick one on Mizunio wave riders. I know you wear them. I also wear them love the shoe. You recently got the 13's any big differences? Where do you normally get your Mizuno footwear?
    Nice one.

Hi stmochtas, yeah, have to say, I'm a big Mizuno convert, after wearing Asics for a couple of years. They're so much lighter (and cheaper!) than the Asics I used to wear. It's probably healthier not to stick to a single type of shoe, but I've yet to find anything that comes close in weight, comfort and price. I now have a pair of 11s, 12s and 13s on the go, having sent one pair of 12s to the training shoe graveyard. I relegate the shoes to recovery runs after around 450 miles.

I've only worn the 13s once (but will be wearing them for a a hard session tonight). They seem just as comfortable/cushioned, but slightly lighter. Looking at the shoe itself, it looks like they may have introduced more breathable panels (which could explain why it feels lighter). I might weigh them later, to see if they actually are lighter. I would normally buy from Amphibian King, but they're 15 euro cheaper on Wiggle, coming in at €86 delivered. I'll still use AK when I can, but for repeat sales of the same size, I have to go with the cheapest option.

Today: Very tough run, but I'm a happy camper. Not because the run was satisfying, like last Tuesday's hill run, but satisfying cos now I'm sitting down with a beer and it's done. I didn't quite hit the numbers, missing by a couple of points, but I did an extra mile at pace, and I'm carrying pains, so it's good enough for me. Some shin pain, I'm definitely hitting too much concrete these days.

4 Mile hilly warm-up, @7:50, HR=144
    8 Miles @ 6:26/mile HR=151
    1 Mile warm-down

Summary: 13 miles, @6:57/mile, HR=148

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Today: Very tough run, but I'm a happy camper. Not because the run was satisfying, like last Tuesday's hill run, but satisfying cos now I'm sitting down with a beer and it's done. I didn't quite hit the numbers, missing by a couple of points, but I did an extra mile at pace, and I'm carrying pains, so it's good enough for me. Some shin pain, I'm definitely hitting too much concrete these days.

4 Mile hilly warm-up, @7:50, HR=144
    8 Miles @ 6:26/mile HR=151
    1 Mile warm-down

Summary: 13 miles, @6:57/mile, HR=148

Going well Krusty, impressed with the HR @ 6:26

Thanks Speedy. these days I find it hard to get the HR up high enough (this was supposed to be an LT session), it's the legs rather than the cardio system that'll get me every time. I was helped by some down-hill too, after a big climb.

Physio has pounded out my calf, so hopefully that'll take some stress of the achilles for a while. Think it's a better idea to skip the Raheny 5 mile, because of last nights hard session, and the achilles trouble, and focus on doing a good 20 miles tomorrow. Hope the weather holds up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Thanks Speedy. these days I find it hard to get the HR up high enough (this was supposed to be an LT session), it's the legs rather than the cardio system that'll get me every time. I was helped by some down-hill too, after a big climb.

Physio has pounded out my calf, so hopefully that'll take some stress of the achilles for a while. Think it's a better idea to skip the Raheny 5 mile, because of last nights hard session, and the achilles trouble, and focus on doing a good 20 miles tomorrow. Hope the weather holds up.

20 tomorrow s more important. Since the 10km before xmas have you raced since berlin ?

Hi VR, apart from the 10k in November, no, I haven't raced (unless down-hill ski counts?). I've been following the training program to the letter (apart from doing some additional mileage) and it hasn't had any races so far, though there are two coming up.

Today: 21 Mile progression run
    I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. So much for mantras.

I wanted to make sure I had a plan in place before i set out for the run, otherwise I'd end-up running the lot too fast, so I figured I'd do one of Peckam's predator, assassin, terminator progression runs. Even still I managed to fluff it up, skipping a whole time segment, and instead of finishing with 3 miles at pmp, I found myself running at half-marathon pace, so just stuck with it.

2 Mile warm-up @ 7:46
    5 Miles @7:36, HR=138
    5 Miles @7:16, HR=136
    4 Miles @6:40, HR=142
    3 Miles @6:23, HR=154
    2 Mile warm-down @7:56

So overall, a great run. i'm just a bit wary, as I don't want to injure myself (and am already carrying a couple of niggles), but with 5 weeks to go, I don't want to peak too early, as obviously the form is pretty good at the moment. So, new mantra: I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler.I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler.I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler. :)

Summary: 21 miles, @7:13/mile, HR=142

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That's some form alright, another 4 weeks of 'controlled' running followed by a well thought out taper - well who knows!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great splits Krusty, you're in fine shape with 5 weeks to go. Are you cramming in as much beer as possible before a final "dry" month?;)

Great splits Krusty, you're in fine shape with 5 weeks to go. Are you cramming in as much beer as possible before a final "dry" month?;)
    Well spotted! For the last few weeks I've restricted myself to weekend drinking (cramming!) only, and from 7th February, I'm going fun-boy-bobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. I must not drink beer until 2am the night before a 20 miler. So much for mantras.

I wanted to make sure I had a plan in place before i set out for the run, otherwise I'd end-up running the lot too fast, so I figured I'd do one of Peckam's predator, assassin, terminator progression runs. Even still I managed to fluff it up, skipping a whole time segment, and instead of finishing with 3 miles at pmp, I found myself running at half-marathon pace, so just stuck with it.

So overall, a great run. i'm just a bit wary, as I don't want to injure myself (and am already carrying a couple of niggles), but with 5 weeks to go, I don't want to peak too early, as obviously the form is pretty good at the moment. So, new mantra: I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler.I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler.I must drink beer until 2am, the night before a 20 miler. :)

Thats a great session Krusty...well done

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

savage run there, even more so due to the beer nite before!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

Sub 3 will be a piece of cake judging by those times! Maybe even around 2hr 45 mins is achieveable?!

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sub 3 will be a piece of cake judging by those times! Maybe even around 2hr 45 mins is achieveable?!
    Hah! let's not get over-excited. There's nothing to suggest that anything below a few minutes under sub-3 is achievable. Losing the head a bit and running three miles at HMP doesn't imply I could do the same for 26.2 miles!

To put it into perspective, my 10 mile race pace last year was 6:37. For this up-coming marathon, I hope to hit 6:41/mile pace for the distance, so it's a big enough achievement if I pull it off. I have taken around 9 minutes off of my 20 mile times from last year (at a lower heart rate), so things are pointing in the right direction, but, sub-3 is the ultimate goal.

(but thanks for the vote of confidence!)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭figs

Jeeze KC... what kind of beer do you drink??!! The stuff that keeps me out till 2am has me sleeping soundly in the gutter!! :D

The kind that's full of healthy carbs. Beer is good for you.. :)

Last night: One hour swimming lessons, including half lengths, and some diving lessons, just to keep things interesting.

Tonight: 8 Miles with 5x600m @5k pace. Found these quite comfortable (apart from continued small niggles in shin/achilles). Kept on starting off in a near sprint (I really don't have a clue how to pace myself), until I reigned myself in, after a glance at the watch. Two of the reps were a little bit slower (in fact, two were bang on the right pace, the rest were too fast).

Pace: 5:35/5:43/5:46/5:34/5:30, average HR=153
    Summary: 8 miles in 61 mins, @7:39/mile, HR=137

Tonight: 11 Uppy-downy miles, around Killiney and Shankill. Nice little run, with Robert Heinlein for company (audiobook). Despite the hills, average heart rate was 135. There's definitely something in this audio-book thing, that keeps me calm. Chillax.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:23 @7:37/mile, HR=135.

• Advertisement

Tonight: 11 Uppy-downy miles, around Killiney and Shankill. Nice little run, with Robert Heinlein for company (audiobook). Despite the hills, average heart rate was 135. There's definitely something in this audio-book thing, that keeps me calm. Chillax.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:23 @7:37/mile, HR=135.

Is sub 3 the target or is it 2.55 ? I rem in berlin i was going to go for 2.56. I decided overnight that sub 3 was more important. With Barcelona a little hilly would it not be better to run 89.30 fro the first half and then make your decision. If fresh you run 87 in the 2nd half and have 2.56 with little risk. Going out in 87.30 might involve risk of blowing up. Lets say barca is 3 min harder that berlin a 2.55 is 9 min improvement if you know what i mean. Not been negative but get under 3 and then kick on.

Is sub 3 the target or is it 2.55 ? I rem in berlin i was going to go for 2.56. I decided overnight that sub 3 was more important. With Barcelona a little hilly would it not be better to run 89.30 fro the first half and then make your decision. If fresh you run 87 and have 2.56 with little risk. Going out in 87.30 might involve risk of blowing up. Lets say barca is 3 min harder that berlin a 2.55 is 9 min improvement if you know what i mean.
    Nah, 2:55 is the target, and 2:55 it'll stay. I'll aim to hit half-way in 88 minutes, and pick it up in the second half for a negative split. I trained for 3:07 for Berlin, aimed for 3:03, and finished in 3:00.

There are no hard marathons, just hard runners. ;)

Tonight: Easy 4 Mile recovery run (easy except the weather). Another 'off-the-program' run. I just couldn't arrive home at 6pm of a Thursday evening, and not go for some kind of run. I'm wondering if I'm sub-consciously more interested in the 1,000 mile thread than I think I am?

Summary: 4.25 miles in 36 mins, @8:33/mile, HR=132

Nah, 2:55 is the target, and 2:55 it'll stay. I'll aim to hit half-way in 88 minutes, and pick it up in the second half for a negative split. I trained for 3:07 for Berlin, aimed for 3:03, and finished in 3:00.

There are no hard marathons, just hard runners. ;)

You and your negative splits.

You and your negative splits.
    Just agreeing with you! (Run slower in the first half and then make your decision).
    How's the ailment? Are you off your feet for a spell?

Today: 4 Miles with 6 x strides
    Went a little quick for a recovery run, but the legs are feeling good, and the niggles seem to be on the way out (touch wood). Planning on heading to Annacurra tomorrow (if I can find it!) for a bit of a run around the hills, so hopefully I'll avoid doing myself any harm among the mountain men.

Summary: 4 miles in 29 mins, @7:20, HR=142

A nice porridge and brown-bread breakfast set me up for the mornings activities. A quick shower (why did I bother?!), and out the door for sunny Annacurra. One of the great advantages of Annacurra is the registration is in a local town hall, so no standing around in the cold, and toilets (real toilets, not the outdoor pee against a tree variety). A quick hello to some of the familiar faces, and went for an easy jog up and down one of the local hills.

Mud-claws on, it's race time. At this point, I met up with Asimonov, and we made our way to the start of the race, and met up with GoHard. A quick speech by one of the local 'old fellas ;) and we were ready to go. I started about 30 people back from the front (just behind the other boards runners), and immediately was glad of the mud-claws, as the first trek through the forest started out quite muddy. The climb started almost immediately, and we managed to pass quite a few people, who must have sprinted over the first couple of 100 metres. After around 15 minutes of climbing, I started cursing Slogger Jogger silently, for adding in an extra kilometer at the top. Sure the old route was plenty high enough!

Soon afterwards, I rather depressingly slowed to a walk, which is something I'll have to fix in time (probably less of the amber nectar the night before a race in future). Like Pringles though, once you start you can't stop, so sadly, I spent much of my uphill climbs doing the familiar hands on knees shuffle. Thankfully, I didn't lose much ground, as when the runners ahead pushed on a little, I'd catch up, before resuming the neanderthal walk. I'd like to blame it on a sore back, but really it's down to a bit of mental weakness.

Finally, we crested the top of the hill, and I managed to steal a few spots on the flat. On the descent I grew more alarmed with each passing meter we descended, as it meant another meter to climb soon afterwards, until finally we arrived at the muddy climb I remember more fondly as a descent, from last year. As we reached the top and turned the next corner, devastation. Another hill (that I didn't remember from last year!). Shuffle, shuffle. finally, back on top, and the fast descent begins. As you pick up pace on the downhill, you realize it's almost impossible to stop the momentum, and corners become a very real predicament. You almost have to lean into them, motorcycle style, to avoid running wide into the trees.

Managed to pick up a couple more runners on the downhill, but the next pack I caught up with proved to be a hardy lot, and despite finishing within a couple of seconds of the next three places, I couldn't catch them. I was glad to finally see the forest, which meant we were getting close. At one point I grabbed a fence to slow my descent, which turned out to be barbed. you really haven't run an IMRA race until you've shed some blood. :)

Finally approaching the finish with three other runners, I made my move too early, and didn't have the staying power for the last 50 meters so finished in the same position I held for the last mile or so.

A four mile warm-down with Asimonov (thanks again for the *cough* nutrition advice) then into the pub for the results. Delighted to finish in 11th place out of 172 runners (108% of the winner), a result that felt like it was much better than I deserved. A nice chat with my fellow Boards runners before heading home. Ankle is quite sore now, so I think wisdom will prevail, and I'll avoid the next IMRA race, so a brief but very welcome return to IMRA races. I will be back in late spring/early summer, when all my dirty deeds are done, and next time, i won't be walking. (or at least, i'll be walking less).

Summary: 11 miles, split over three runs, and a tired but happy camper.
    HR for race: 169.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Great report, and great run KC, you're coming into some form now. I'm very glad that you will be giving the next few imra races a miss;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Great run today, your downhill speed was fantastic. You're dead right to keep it on the flat between now and Barca, primary objectives and all that. Right now, I'm off to find a sub-titled let the right one in.

• Advertisement

asimonov wrote: »
    Great run today, your downhill speed was fantastic. You're dead right to keep it on the flat between now and Barca, primary objectives and all that. Right now, I'm off to find a sub-titled let the right one in.

Good choice! Don't forget The Corner. PM me your e-mail address and I'll point you in the right direction.

Advertisement