Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GoHardOrGoHome

Krusty. Well done. Great race. Great race report!

I noticed the New York qualifying time as well! Had to check that it wasn't like Boston (which gives you the benefit of the 59 seconds to bring it up to the next whole minute).

2:55:15 sounds very fast to me but your 5k splits sound ridiculously fast! I can break 20 minutes for a standalone 5k and have yet to break 40 minutes for 10k and there you go and almost hit twenties for all your splits.

Savage stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭jlang

Well done and well deserved. Enjoy Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Really excellent race report, KC - good writing too - were you thinking that up as you ran along? :). Good to see that you could kick on and not get too wound up in what time you were gonna come in at, while still knowing that your target was in the bag.

Onwards and upwards - best of luck with the final preps for Connemara - surely this performance will have given you a great deal of confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Great stuff again KC. Enjoyed the report. Barcelona seems to a great marathon and definitely one I will consider myself based on your musings.

You wouldn't be a runner if you weren't pi$$ed off about those 15 seconds and it's that mindset that will allow you to target faster times again in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Great job krusty and great report, really enjoyed reading it and am delighted for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

+3
    First thing I thought was NY also.

Enjoyed the report Krusty. Since the sub 3 monkey is off you back a sub 2:50 should be managable now ;).

See you at the virtual start line in Connemara (its unmarked)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

KC - You mustn't have heard me screaming "New York qualifcation, go on Krusty!" at my laptop on Sunday morning when I saw your 40k split pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭MarieC

Aw fantastic race report KC! And an amazing time, with a negative split for the 2nd half. Truly inspirational stuff!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Sub430

The love story was over. I felt cheated.

:pac: Excellent.

Great report, even better running. Congratulations sir.

Now I'll have to go back and read the whole log (from 12 weeks ago anyway ;))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Abhainn wrote: »
    +3
    First thing I thought was NY also.
    Peckham wrote: »
    KC - You mustn't have heard me screaming "New York qualifcation, go on Krusty!" at my laptop on Sunday morning when I saw your 40k split pop up.

You need to post the qualifying time for NY prior to Jan 31st 2010 for qualification for NYC Marathon 2010 so it wouldn't have counted anyways. I'm fairly sure you will run sub 2:55 prior to Jan 31st 2011 so you'll be grand for 2011 anyways!

Personally, I think the half marathon qualifying standard of 1:23 is easier to achieve than the 2:55.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Personally, I think the half marathon qualifying standard of 1:23 is easier to achieve than the 2:55.

Its WAY easier...i did 83:37 back in Dec, 7 weeks after dublin with not to much done for it,and started slow...I reckon i could go sub 83 any w/e...
    ( if given 2 weeks notice ;) ).

Will any half marathon do ?
    and how soon before you want to do NYC does it have to be achieved ?
    I'm doing Wexford in May.

Sosa wrote: »
    Its WAY easier...i did 83:37 back in Dec, 7 weeks after dublin with not to much done for it,and started slow...I reckon i could go sub 83 any w/e...
    ( if given 2 weeks notice ;) ).

Any time posted between 1st January 2010 and 31st jan 2011 will qualify you for the 2011 marathon. Too late for 2010. Result must only be verifiable online, so I suppose a certified race that has its own website and posts the reults online would be good enough??

Your 2:54:59 in Cork will be good enough though Sosa and thats verifiable online.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

littlebug wrote: »
    Great report Krusty :)
    How did Mrs K get on with her 10 miles?
    She got on great! Managed the 10 miles without getting lost, and still got out on the course and cheered me on twice. I have to say though (and no doubt she'll read this!) by the end of the night I was in better shape than she was! Strangely, apart from the near puking episode, I wasn't in the same kind of bad shape I've been in for my previous marathon PBs. Berlin was a horror show, and after my first marathon in Longford I looked like road-kill.

The OH is training for her second half-marathon (this time in Connemara), so I have a fun goal to try and beat her home. If everything goes to plan (very unlikely from my side) we should cross the finish line within 5-10 minutes of each other. But I am doing Connemara strictly for the craic. No genuine goals, other than to enjoy the experience, and see what it really feels like to push past the 26 mile barrier.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

But I am doing Connemara strictly for the craic. No genuine goals, other than to enjoy the experience, and see what it really feels like to push past the 26 mile barrier.

Rubbish, once you're on the start line that'll go out the window. You'll go sub 5, 5:15 at the most.

Sub430 wrote: »
    Now I'll have to go back and read the whole log (from 12 weeks ago anyway ;))
    I wouldn't bother! It's a tale of booze, drugs, broken lives, and the story of how one man triumphs against adversity. Oh sh1t. That's my oscar speech. Wrong thread.

If you open the Pftizinger and Douglas Advanced Marathon book on around page 118, on the section that reads: 12 week program, up to 55 miles, then you get a three page summary of the last 12 weeks, without all the boring bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Certified measurement of the course is mandatory. Given the cost of entering Wexford, one would expect it have had a certified measuring, chip timing.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    You know, I love marathons but have never had an affinity with half marathons. My half marathon PB still stands 'officially' at 1:44 from a couple of years ago (which is slower than my recovery pace).

One of my rather grand goals is to qualify for all races fair and square with a good for age category, without finding easy ways to do it. I'm only missing NY to complete the set. But the clock is ticking. I only have 21 months to do it, before I hit 'masters' and I'll have missed the boat. I like the idea of hitting the same qualification target as an 18 year old. Makes me feel young again. :rolleyes:

But the clock is ticking. I only have 21 months to do it, before I hit 'masters

I thought masters was o35 ?
    I thought you were over that,we exchanges a few posts a while back
    ( i was saying that barca was on the day i turn master )

I thought masters was o35 ?
    I thought you were over that,we exchanges a few posts a while back
    ( i was saying that barca was on the day i turn master )

NY Masters is 40+. The good for age categorization is 18-39, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+.

NY Masters is 40+. The good for age categorization is 18-39, 40+, 50+, 60+, 70+.

Ah right ...have you know.
    Would you have done NYC if you got under 2:55 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Well done Krusty, great performance and the report is a fine read.

Was a great day for it seeing the weather we had yesterday morning on route to the airport.

Race average Heart rate: 152

Do you have a good idea idea of your MHR and RHR and if so, in percentage HRR terms, what does 152 equate to? I'm planning on running connemarathon at around 80-81% HR reserve and would be interested in what you ran barcelona at since you paced the marathon almost perfectly. Did you pay any attention to the HR reading during the marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

A bit late this, but congrats Krusty. Amazing stuff, and a very entertaining read.

No, I didn't have my HR as a field on the Garmin, so only checked it after the race had finished. HR has become less and less of a limiting factor over the last few years, and these days it's the legs ability to carry me over the distance, so I don't train to heart rate any more.

For comparison:
    Longford '08 was 160 bpm
    Dublin '08 was 156 bpm
    Berlin '09 was 161 bpm (very hot day)
    The highest I've ever clocked (I think) is 190 in a 10k, though I may have gone higher in some of the IMRA hill races.

RHR - (Resting HR?) around 45 at a guess, but I haven't checked in years
    MHR - (Max?) possibly around 192.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

She got on great! Managed the 10 miles without getting lost, and still got out on the course and cheered me on twice. I have to say though (and no doubt she'll read this!) by the end of the night I was in better shape than she was! .

Good stuff. Mrs K is a bit like me then :o it takes me days to get over a long run. If I see a sprint finish* in Connemara between a Half Mar woman and Ultra man I'll know it's you two :D

(*yeah I know this will happen ages before I finish :rolleyes:)

Would you have done NYC if you got under 2:55 ?
    Not this year Sosa. I did apply for it this year (in order to get the 3x lottery registrations under the belt), but am hoping not to get a place in the lottery and will likely defer it if I am unlucky enough(?) to win a place.

It's more a question of commitments, holidays, cost, etc. I do hope to run another fast marathon this year, just not sure which it will be. I'd like to pace Dublin this year again (and Cork if possible) so would have to be something in between, possibly September. I've already done Berlin and would like to visit another city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

.....I know my place in the running world .....

As a 2:55 marathoner.

As Bart would say : Cowabunga!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

I wouldn't bother! It's a tale of booze, drugs, broken lives, and the story of how one man triumphs against adversity. Oh sh1t. That's my oscar speech. Wrong thread.

If you open the Pftizinger and Douglas Advanced Marathon book on around page 118, on the section that reads: 12 week program, up to 55 miles, then you get a three page summary of the last 12 weeks, without all the boring bits!

Thats the plan i'll be following for Dublin soon! Though its a little scary looking at week one with the LSR being 12 miles! Congrats again on the sub 3..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Thats the plan i'll be following for Dublin soon! Though its a little scary looking at week one with the LSR being 12 miles! Congrats again on the sub 3..
    i see you lsr is only 8 miles, thats not really a long run in terms of the L part of lsr, just about an hour. if your going for just under 3hrs you ll be running approx 3 times that length of time.

i would be building that run up by a mile each week asap. most people hoping to break 3hrs inside the next year would be running 12-15 miles at least of an lsr all year round regardless. 12 miles shouldnt be daunting it should be a doddle for someone using an advanced program

sorry for hogging your log krusty

• Advertisement

kennyb3 wrote: »
    sorry for hogging your log krusty
    Work away. In fact, if you want to start doing my training runs, you can move in. :)

Last night: 45 minute easy swim, to start the recovery process. The legs feel ok. Some tightness in the calf, and a small bit of pain in the shin, but otherwise pretty good, but I've booked a visit to the physio on Friday anyway.

The immediate plan is to start P&Ds 6 week multi-marathon schedule (skipping one of the weeks), in preparation for the Connemara Ultra. This will rapidly build up to around 20 mile runs, before another quick taper. I hope to do the IMRA trail run in three weeks time (recovery permitting).

So tonight, 5 miles recovery run. It's good to be back.

Advertisement