Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Work away. In fact, if you want to start doing my training runs, you can move in. :)

Last night: 45 minute easy swim, to start the recovery process. The legs feel ok. Some tightness in the calf, and a small bit of pain in the shin, but otherwise pretty good, but I've booked a visit to the physio on Friday anyway.

The immediate plan is to start P&Ds 6 week multi-marathon schedule (skipping one of the weeks), in preparation for the Connemara Ultra. This will rapidly build up to around 20 mile runs, before another quick taper. I hope to do the IMRA trail run in three weeks time (recovery permitting).

So tonight, 5 miles recovery run. It's good to be back.

Fair play took me sooo much longer to recover and i only did a half marathon keep up the good work and roll on Connemara

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks - thought it's all recovery runs though for the next two weeks. It's this time last year that I picked up a calf injury from doing too much too soon after a marathon, so slow and steady for the next while. I have no goals for Connemara other than finishing, but to meet that goal I'll certainly need lots of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

You have enough time to have recovered from Barcelona before you tackle Connemara although you won't be able to do any proper ultra specific training.
    Your LSR pace, which you should be able to maintain in race conditions, will bring you very close to a 5 hour finish.

I believe Connemara is just short enough to be run well on marathon specific training and perhaps even optimally.

I believe that I sacrificed quite a bit in terms of speed workouts and consequent conditioning in order to fit in a double long run at the week-end which is the key differential of a ultra specific program from the marathon one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

kennyb3 wrote: »
    i see you lsr is only 8 miles, thats not really a long run in terms of the L part of lsr, just about an hour. if your going for just under 3hrs you ll be running approx 3 times that length of time.

i would be building that run up by a mile each week asap. most people hoping to break 3hrs inside the next year would be running 12-15 miles at least of an lsr all year round regardless. 12 miles shouldnt be daunting it should be a doddle for someone using an advanced program

sorry for hogging your log krusty

I see your point; I should be up to 12 miles by May just in time for the start of the marathon program. The 8 mile lsr is part of a 10km plan im currently following and that plan should be finished by mid april where i should be up to 10 miles LSR. Then i can focus on marathon specific training..

Sorry for hogging your log too Krusty!!

Thanks for the feedback. I'm still thinking 8 min/mile, as i know I can sustain this pace (or thereabouts) very comfortably for prolonged periods of time/distance, having paced a couple of marathons at around this pace. This would get me in at around 5:15 (assuming everything doesn't go to pot).

I know I'm venturing very much into unknown territory, but that's what makes it so exciting. :) Besides, I'm getting old, so it must be time for the ultras.
    :D

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    Sorry for hogging your log too Krusty!!
    No problem at all. There's a party going on, and everyone's invited. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Besides, I'm getting old, so it must be time for the ultras.
    :D
    Old is when you qualify for the New York marathon by running under 3:10

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Krusty you seem to be like an oracle at the moment so ill ask for some advise while the going is good:)
    Ive got 2 weeks of training left before taper. What do you suggest as regards long runs and pace runs ect in this time period. Was advised not to go above 15 miles at pace so have done two 15 mile runs below pace in the last 2 weeks. Well done again on your time in barcelona. You will have to get your name changed to teragt #2:)

Tonight: A nice relaxed 5 mile recovery run.
    It's nice sometimes to sit back and have a really chilled run, with some good tunes. The body has held up well, with just some teenie-weenie little niggles, which a bit more rest, some ice and some physio should be able to help along.

Summary: 5 miles in 42 mins @8:27/mile, HRM=somewhere in Barcelona

Tonight: Tomorrow's 6 mile recovery run today. Physio tomorrow, and I'm sure he'll bar me from running for the night, so I got the run over with, and will enjoy a nice Friday evening off, with no running. The park was full of runners this evening (Bray runners moving south after the winter?). Stopped to talk to the OH, and forgot to turn on the watch for a lap of the park (as usual!). Body is feeling good. Definitely no injuries, just some residual tiredness.

Summary: 6 miles in some minutes, at some pace, with some heart beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

(Bray runners moving south after the winter?).

North technically ;) - but yes that was them, I just missed you, I was in early and hitting the road as you were starting.

Thought you might have been thereabouts. Will keep an eye out for you now that you've returned North after the harsh winter (I totally screwed up my birds analogy. :)). You guys ever consider running up around the hills at the back of Shankill/Rathmichael? Some of the best running to be found North of Wickla'.

You guys ever consider running up around the hills at the back of Shankill/Rathmichael? Some of the best running to be found North of Wickla'.
    Sean Clifford whom I sure you know and some of the others have some well beaten tracks around there and around Puck's castle, haven't been up there in this window of running, must organise to give you a shout after the HM.

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Sean Clifford whom I sure you know and some of the others have some well beaten tracks around there and around Puck's castle, haven't been up there in this window of running, must organise to give you a shout after the HM.
    I know him to see and nod to, as we pass in different directions! Had a quick chat with him during the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park last year. Didn't realize he was M60? Very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

I know him to see and nod to, as we pass in different directions! Had a quick chat with him during the 10 mile in the Phoenix Park last year. Didn't realize he was M60? Very impressive.

Very impressive indeed. As an M60 he beat me in a half marathon the year before last Bantry-Glengariff. It was hilly so it suited me but he still had me well beaten. A mighty runner.

Today: 5 mile recovery aerobic run
    It's this kind of running that will see me not make the start line in Connemara. Bold, bold, bold, bold. Just another sign that I have no self-control. The body goes where it wants, and the rest just follows. Even as I was running around the park, my brain was playing tricks on me, trying to convince me to run extra miles, run tomorrow's aerobic run today, run faster. Just as I passed the corner of the park, I made a mad dash for the exit, before my brain realized what I was doing and headed for home with a sub 7 minute mile. As penance, I'm going to do tomorrow's entire run on grass or trail (no hills though yet). Still haven't found my HRM, which is a bloody pain, as this is exactly when I need it.

Summary: 5 miles in 36:30, @7:15/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Today: 5 mile recovery aerobic run
    It's this kind of running that will see me not make the start line in Connemara. Bold, bold, bold, bold. Just another sign that I have no self-control. The body goes where it wants, and the rest just follows. Even as I was running around the park, my brain was playing tricks on me, trying to convince me to run extra miles, run tomorrow's aerobic run today, run faster. Just as I passed the corner of the park, I made a mad dash for the exit, before my brain realized what I was doing and headed for home with a sub 7 minute mile. As penance, I'm going to do tomorrow's entire run on grass or trail (no hills though yet). Still haven't found my HRM, which is a bloody pain, as this is exactly when I need it.

Summary: 5 miles in 36:30, @7:15/mile.

You are a naughty boy,Krusty....no beer for you tonight.

Sosa wrote: »
    You are a naughty boy,Krusty....no beer for you tonight.
    Jebus, it's not like I drowned a kitten or anything. Go easy. :)

Today: 8 Mile penance run (entirely on the grass!) in Cabinteely Park. A tough head-wind at times, but otherwise, a good return to aerobic runs. It feels hard to believe that I'll be attempting to run five times this distance in just four weeks time (gulp), thankfully at a slower pace. A nice day to run (bar the wind) and a pretty decent park, with 2km loops, and a gentle hill on each lap to stretch the lungs a little.

Summary: 8 miles in 58 minutes, @7:20/mile, HR probably around 148-150.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Been AWOL so apologies for late acknowledgement of your outstanding Marathon result KC, good man yourself !!

Not a shock though as you put the work in. A fine demonstration of the formula
    commitment minus distraction = results.

Well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

have been aways on hols and just got a change to read your report now , fantastic results , great report : very relaxed , worrying for a marathon race report , marathon career over now that you have reached sub three ?! well done again

Thanks shotgunmcos and Seres (where you guys on holidays together? Set the tongues wagging :)).

I worried, some time ago, that once I hit the sub 3, that would be me finished with marathon running - my mojo would be gone. It was a significant goal for a long time. It was all I could think about for the last few weeks. But even after finishing the race, I was asking myself, how much harder I could have pushed, and how much faster could I run (I have a sickness!).

Asimonov recently did a physiology test, to try and find out the answer to these questions. I'm not entirely sure that I would want to know the answer, because knowing my limitations might create a psychological barrier. I want to believe that I can keep chipping away 5 minutes at a time, twice a year, until they prise that final medal out of my cold dead hands.

For now, no thoughts of marathon training. Hopefully just some trail running, an ultra-marathon (in which I plan to take it easy), and some enjoyable spring running. I have a new pair of trail running shoes in a box under my desk and a desire to see some new hills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Summary: 8 miles in 58 minutes, @7:20/mile, HR probably around 148-150.

Yoink!

How long is a lap? And is a lap easily identifiable? I don't know the park at all but it's only down the road so should really take advantage. Sorry for a the silly questions. :D

Hi ClaraLara, if you click on the link (summary above) and in the map window click on [Satellite] it's pretty easy to figure it out. If you follow the path all the way around, it's around a 1.25 mile / 2km loop. The park also has a toilet (very handy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Oh excellent! Is that a toilet detour I see to the top right of your route?!

Thanks a mil for that. Maybe next weekend - woudn't fancy it in the dark!

Lol. No. I only ever need to go to a bathroom when there in none around. :rolleyes: The toilet's actually near the car-park, on the left of park (near the green start arrow). If you're going to the toilet in the top-right, better bring your own paper. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Asimonov recently did a physiology test, to try and find out the answer to these questions. I'm not entirely sure that I would want to know the answer, because knowing my limitations might create a psychological barrier. I want to believe that I can keep chipping away 5 minutes at a time, twice a year, until they prise that final medal out of my cold dead hands.

There's a train of thought out there that you will improve for 10 years from the time you start running regardless of age i.e if you only start running at 40 you'll peak at 50. Theres also the other rule that says you need to spend 10,000 hours at something to be as good as you can at it.

Take a promising 16 year....on that basis they'd peak at 26 which is probably not too far off the mark. How many hours did they spend over the 10 years? Probably not too much more than 5000 hours at the most running. Although maybe if you count travelling to races/training, then hanging around etc maybe then the 10,000 hours and the 10 years are one and the same.

Well my long, rambling point is, yes, stick at it, can't see you plateauing anytime soon...you've another few years to go before you hit the 10, make the most of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Seres wrote: »
    marathon career over now that you have reached sub three ?!
    I worried, some time ago, that once I hit the sub 3, that would be me finished with marathon running - my mojo would be gone. It was a significant goal for a long time. It was all I could think about for the last few weeks. But even after finishing the race, I was asking myself, how much harder I could have pushed, and how much faster could I run (I have a sickness!).

Hi Seres,

Good to see you back round these parts. You were obviously wondering the same thing as I was about Krusty, and I had a sneaking suspicion that it wouldn't be long before he started thinking - that wasn't as hard as I thought, now how hard can sub 2:50 be?"...

Admit it Krusty, that's what you're thinking!:D

aero2k wrote: »
    Admit it Krusty, that's what you're thinking!:D

Nope, you got me completely wrong! I'm thinking 2:48 will be my next target. ;)

Last night: 1 Hour of swimming. Gave up the lessons and have switched to doing lengths on Mondays, to hopefully bring me where I need to be. I wasn't counting lengths, but definitely covered more distance than I have been in the classes.

Tonight: 6 miles easy in the park on the grass
    Into the park, and back on the grass, this time breaking in the new Inov-8 mudrocs which felt good. Couple of pings from the left shin, but hopefully nothing. No watch-watching, so was a little quicker than recovery pace. Nice and chillax.
    Summary: 6 miles in 45 mins, @7:33/mile.

• Advertisement

We're in Shanganagh on Thurs @ 6:15 for a 10k trot with a few strides thrown in as the majority are running the BHAA, Ballycotton or Galbally at the WE - if it suits pop over.

Advertisement