Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Thanks Speedy. It was one of those tough days where all you want to do is sit down in front of the TV with a beer and fall asleep (most days?!). Normally, after completing a session like this I would get some sense of accomplishment and satisfaction. But because of gadget/human failure, it was just an exercise in frustration.

No more whining! Today's another day. :cool:

You seem to be flying at the moment. Have you though much about the XC season?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,528 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

You know me Shels, I'm a marathon man! I have three marathons tentatively planned between September and November. If there are XC races that don't clash, then I might give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Intervals: 76/82/76/89/77/78/80/75/77/74/77/xx?
    It's all relative. I would love to have those numbers but you still want to see some sort of week-to-week improvement.
    Not sure there is any point running an interval session while tired. Might have been a better idea pushing it out a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

You know me Shels, I'm a marathon man! I have three marathons tentatively planned between September and November. If there are XC races that don't clash, then I might give them a go.

3 marathons?! fair play to ya, Im only good for 1 :rolleyes: How do ya train for 3 with such a short time period between?

mithril wrote: »
    It's all relative. I would love to have those numbers but you still want to see some sort of week-to-week improvement.
    Not sure there is any point running an interval session while tired. Might have been a better idea pushing it out a day.
    Should you really see any improvement when you are increasing the number of reps though? I'm not so sure. You might find it easier to hit those numbers, if (like I) you were walking between intervals instead of an easy jog, and taking a 75 second recovery. The emphasis of this session for me has been on speed, rather than some form of respiratory improvement, which I will concentrate on during the marathon plan.

I couldn't push it out a day, as work is insane at the moment, and getting insanier :). So it was a case of do it badly, or don't do it at all.

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    3 marathons?! fair play to ya, Im only good for 1 :rolleyes: How do ya train for 3 with such a short time period between?
    I'm not racing three marathons, which is a fine distinction!
    I'm racing the first one (Berlin - September), second one is Dublin, where I hope to be a pacer (3:15 or 3:30) but will do regardless, and the last one on the cards is New York in early November, where the plan is to smile throughout the race and just soak up the atmosphere (hopefully with a sub-3, just to stay ahead of the crowd. :)) New York is going to be my marathon major of the year (yes, I know, I will already have done Berlin, but that's different. I've done it before!).

Next year I hope to do Chicago, following year Boston, and the year after that: London. Now I just need to set up my drugs empire so I can afford the holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Should you really see any improvement when you are increasing the number of reps though? I'm not so sure. You might find it easier to hit those numbers, if (like I) you were walking between intervals instead of an easy jog, and taking a 75 second recovery. The emphasis of this session for me has been on speed, rather than some form of respiratory improvement, which I will concentrate on during the marathon plan.

I couldn't push it out a day, as work is insane at the moment, and getting insanier :). So it was a case of do it badly, or don't do it at all.

In the 3 x 4 x 200's I did the other day, I was taking a 2min rest (as in stop, walk, jog a little !) between reps and 4 mins (400m jog) between sets. The emphasis was on speed and I wanted to keep them steady throughout and not have a drop off too much, which I more or less achived.
    Like you Krusty, I will be concentrating on the other stuff once the DCM training starts to kick in in July.

Next year I hope to do Chicago, following year Boston, and the year after that: London. Now I just need to set up my drugs empire so I can afford the holidays.

Chicago is a super marathon its one that I'm going to do again for sure, Was half thinking about next year but I really need to do Dublin as some point too.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Chicago is a super marathon its one that I'm going to do again for sure, Was half thinking about next year but I really need to do Dublin as some point too.
    I'm just looking forward to some more of that deep-pan pizza. :)
    The hardest part of doing Chicago is remembering to fill in the application for on time (that and paying for the trip!).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

I'm not racing three marathons, which is a fine distinction!
    I'm racing the first one (Berlin - September), second one is Dublin, where I hope to be a pacer (3:15 or 3:30) but will do regardless, and the last one on the cards is New York in early November, where the plan is to smile throughout the race and just soak up the atmosphere (hopefully with a sub-3, just to stay ahead of the crowd. :)) New York is going to be my marathon major of the year (yes, I know, I will already have done Berlin, but that's different. I've done it before!).

That makes more sense, Still its gona be tough. Would love to do a marathon abroad. Was thinking Berlin next year or even Dresden(other half is from that region). PS put me down for some of those yummy drugs when the empire is up and running, anything that will shave a few minutes off my PB's is to be welcomed :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

smmoore79 wrote: »
    That makes more sense, Still its gona be tough. Would love to do a marathon abroad. Was thinking Berlin next year or even Dresden(other half is from that region). PS put me down for some of those yummy drugs when the empire is up and running, anything that will shave a few minutes off my PB's is to be welcomed :rolleyes:
    It really is a great way to see a city, and meet it's denizens in a brotherly sharing frame of mind. The only downside, is that you have to mid yourself for the initial couple of days until after the race, after which point you're usually too shagged to go mad with the partying anyway!

I'm just looking forward to some more of that deep-pan pizza. :)
    The hardest part of doing Chicago is remembering to fill in the application for on time (that and paying for the trip!).

When I did it in '99 we had a session that night with an all you can pizza , it's amazing how much you can put away after a marathon.

Tonight: Sneaked out of work early and managed an early run for a change, but I realized just how much more humid it is. Achilles is a little tight from the hills and miles, but an enjoyable easy run in the sunshine.

Summary: 6.1 miles in 45 mins, @7:30/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Tonight: Sneaked out of work early and managed an early run for a change, but I realized just how much more humid it is. Achilles is a little tight from the hills and miles, but an enjoyable easy run in the sunshine.

Summary: 6.1 miles in 45 mins, @7:30/mile

Ha ha I have exactly the same thing in mind today , sneak out early for 10km in 45' :D

Still going strong KC. Doing any swimming? ;)

Ha ha I have exactly the same thing in mind today , sneak out early for 10km in 45' :D

Still going strong KC. Doing any swimming? ;)
    Fraid not.. :( All swimming and triathlon plans have been put on the back burner for the time being, in favour of more running sessions. I reckon when I start back on the marathon plan in a couple of weeks (and work becomes less hectic) I'll go back to the Monday lessons and try and up my game. Would be great to get out in the sea in the wetsuit a few times during the summer, but definitely no time for Triathlons this year (unless I find myself unemployed any time soon!).

Yesterday: Easy 30 minute run on the grass, covering 4.1 miles. HR=135

Today: 5.5 miles, with 3 miles at 10k pace. Not really a morning runner any more, but had to get this run done, before the soccer-mom taxi service kicked off (even still I had to cut back on the warm-down). Not exactly sure what my 10k pace is at the moment. I think I might have been a little more 10k-ready just before my last marathon, but it went ok. It's the first session I've done with race pace miles, though some of the tempo runs over the last few weeks came close. It's going to be a hot day out there.

1.5 mile warm-up, 3 miles @5:50/mile (HR=162), and a mile to warm-down.

Summary: 5.5 Miles in 37 mins, HR=158
    Year to date: 1,047

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Not exactly sure what my 10k pace is at the moment.

I ran 5:50 pace for my PB back in feb...but afterwards i reckoned i should have done that race at 5:45p...i raced a 5m the week before and did to much the week leading to the 10k,so i reckon that your goal 10k pace should be 5:45 anyway.

Why dont you just race a 10k to find out ?
    Wouldn't that be the easiest thing to do ?

Sosa wrote: »
    I ran 5:50 pace for my PB back in feb...but afterwards i reckoned i should have done that race at 5:45p...i raced a 5m the week before and did to much the week leading to the 10k,so i reckon that your goal 10k pace should be 5:45 anyway.

Why dont you just race a 10k to find out ?
    Wouldn't that be the easiest thing to do ?
    5:45 is a little too hot for me. That's the pace I was doing my 5k pace intervals for my last marathon plan. Yep, running a 10k would be the right way to figure it out, but I've only got a week before I start marathon training again. Might try and do one soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

5:45 is a little too hot for me. That's the pace I was doing my 5k pace intervals for my last marathon plan. Yep, running a 10k would be the right way to figure it out, but I've only got a week before I start marathon training again. Might try and do one soon.

Yeah,if you did one soon and got a good result that would give you more confidence in your quest for 2:48...best of luck with it.

• Advertisement

Today: 13.1 Mile 'recce of the IMRA Plod route
    Met up with EarlyEvening on a very hot morning, and headed into the hills for this most fantastic of routes. It really is very enjoyable, even if the hill climbs are tough. Finally managed to find the correct route (thanks to the textual descriptions) through Massey's Estate. Quite a few dodgy stiles to clamber over, but otherwise a spectacular route, made even more memorable by the beautiful weather.

I'd like to try and make this a pretty regular run, if I can, as you can feel the goodness flowing into the legs over the length of the climbs. We took a few well deserved breaks to enjoy the views at the top of the climbs. Fab day to be running in the hills.

Summary: 13.1 miles in 1:54, HR=Totally screwed up!

Today: Brought the bike over to Mr Skeffington (of Boards cycling forum fame) who returned it to it's factory condition (highly recommended), so could only manage a late 30 minute recovery run with just the flies and the bats for company down the local park (and a couple of cider supping sinners). Couldn't see the watch, which was a blessing in disguise, as I enjoyed the nice easy run. 10 days in a row, which kind of sneaked up on me. Definitely a rest day later in the week.

Summary: 4.1 miles in 32 mins @7:47/mile, HR=129
    YTD: 1,064.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Today: Brought the bike over to Mr Skeffington (of Boards cycling forum fame) who returned it to it's factory condition (highly recommended)

where is he based? been meaning to contact him for a while

Artane, near the boy's band. If you're on that side of town it's definitely better to go visit him rather than a LBS, particularly if (like most of the world) you work during the day, when bike shops are typically open. He's extremely good and by the sounds of things, a very competitive cyclist. It's great to be able to watch the work being done, as you can learn from it while also making sure it gets done (unlike the LBS). Got lots of other tips from him too, about fitting the bike properly, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Artane, near the boy's band. If you're on that side of town it's definitely better to go visit him rather than a LBS, particularly if (like most of the world) you work during the day, when bike shops are typically open. He's extremely good and by the sounds of things, a very competitive cyclist. It's great to be able to watch the work being done, as you can learn from it while also making sure it gets done (unlike the LBS). Got lots of other tips from him too, about fitting the bike properly, etc.

thanks. yeah he is a top class cyclist. And like you half the reason id go to him would be to learn a bit too as my maintenance skills consist of following online videos at present (or more trying to).

Today: Went out for a 30 minute tempo run (it's in the program :confused:) but just 1/3 mile from the house, I felt something go ping in my leg, around the area of the IT band so with a busy weekend ahead I decided not to risk anything and headed for home.

Did what I should have done anyway, and picked up the newly invigorated bike for a 10 mile hilly cycle, around the roads that I look forward to running mid-week in a couple of weeks time. Cycle was grand and it didn't impact the IT band, so good result, but not a chance of getting the work rate needed for a 30 minute tempo on the bike. Will have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow, as I'm supposed to run an interval session tomorrow, which probably wouldn't be wise. A little worrying.

Summary: 10.5 mile hill cycle, in 38 mins, @25.8km/hr, HR=128

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Will have to wait and see how I feel tomorrow, as I'm supposed to run an interval session tomorrow, which probably wouldn't be wise. A little worrying.
    :eek:Don't let me carry all those balloons myself, man!:eek:

:eek:Don't let me carry all those balloons myself, man!:eek:
    Sure I can run 8 min/mile with no IT bands at all in my legs.
    Just load me up with extra helium balloons, give me a chair to sit on, and I'll be grand.

balloon_04.jpg

Tonight: 6 x400m @Mile pace
    No sign of snap, crackle or pop from the legs today (Zum + Ice doing its job) so decided I'd head out for a 2.5 mile warm-up, and if it went without a hitch I'd go ahead with the intervals. It was hot out there and tough weather for intervals, but I was just glad that no injuries had surfaced. The intervals went fine; glad to have to do only 6 of them. Small niggles afterwards as I warmed down, but nothing serious. Will take it handy for the next two days anyway, and take the bike out for a spin. Now back to the zum and ice (great name for a drink!).

Intervals: 76/78/78/75/77/79

Summary: 6.3 miles in 46 mins, @7:07/mile, HR=149

• Advertisement

Last night: 16 Mile very hilly cycle
    Another long day in work, so by the time I got home, I just wanted to get out for some light relief. Having had a few leg twitches over the last few days and a speed session the previous night, a cycle on the newly restored bike seemed the perfect plan. So I headed for the hills, firstly hitting Taylor's lane from Mine hill road, which has a horrendous near vertical (lie!) final 100m climb. Then up to Kilternan up the long steep climb to Johnny Foxes.

Down Barrack Road, which is just too steep a drop to really take advantage of the down-hill (without killing yourself) and another climb on the other side of the valley, before the long down-hill to Enniskerry Village. Another climb to Ballyman, and then yet another climb to the top of the road that separates The Scalp and Carrigologan, before hitting the four mile easy downhill to home.

Great fun, and I have to say that I really enjoy the climbs (more so than the down-hills), despite having a hazy cloud of flies following me, that I could only manage to lose on the down-hills. A great end to another tough day. The long evenings are fab for getting out. I finished my cycle at around 10pm, and there was no need for lights or luminous bibs.

Summary: 16 hill mile cycle, in 68 mins, @22.4 km/hr, HR=121

Advertisement