Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

aero2k wrote: »
    Is that all Garmin pays you?:D

Good luck with the plod if you decide to do it. I was tempted but I don't expect to be in any shape after the 5 on Sat.
    Sadly, Garmin only pay me in crocodile tears.

Tonight: 9 mile easy run in the lashing rain
    Achilles is still tight and troublesome, so I decided to skip the strides and just stick with the miles. Nice to have a run in the lashing rain again, and the bottom of the park was all but empty (just a few hardcore runners for company). Thinking the Plod is not going to happen at this stage, which is a little frustrating given the 3 recce's, although they were all enjoyable outings. Physio tomorrow, so will see what advice he has for me.

Summary: 9 miles in 67 minutes, 7:30/mile, HR=134

Today: 5 Mile recovery run
    Got up at 7 am instead of the usual 7:40 (how's that for determination!), and hit the park for the second time in 12 hours. I'm not usually a morning runner, but this morning's recovery run went so well (despite horrendous rain) that I might do some more morning recovery runs in future before heading off to work, which frees up some time in the evenings. Achilles is still annoyingly niggly, but the wet grass is quite forgiving. Physio this evening, ugh....

Summary: 5.2 miles in 40 mins, @7:38/mile, HR=132

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Got up at 7 am instead of the usual 7:40 (how's that for determination!), and hit the park for the second time in 12 hours. I'm not usually a morning runner, but this morning's recovery run went so well (despite horrendous rain) that I might do some more morning recovery runs in future before heading off to work, which frees up some time in the evenings. Achilles is still annoyingly niggly, but the wet grass is quite forgiving. Physio this evening, ugh....

Summary: 5.2 miles in 40 mins, @7:38/mile, HR=132

I love the early morning runs Krusty,not ideal getting up but whenyou are out there in the peace and quiet its all worth it.
    I tend to run through the town,where i normally would never go,up past all the shops and restaurants,its nice when nobody is about.

Just grip onto the side of the physio's bed tonight and clench your teeth...it will be over soon enough...but not enjoyable.

My OH recently was telling some of the family that i was off getting a massage....if she only knew !

Sosa wrote: »
    I love the early morning runs Krusty,not ideal getting up but whenyou are out there in the peace and quiet its all worth it.
    I tend to run through the town,where i normally would never go,up past all the shops and restaurants,its nice when nobody is about.

Just grip onto the side of the physio's bed tonight and clench your teeth...it will be over soon enough...but not enjoyable.

My OH recently was telling some of the family that i was off getting a massage....if she only knew !
    I can honestly say I have only ever done three pre-breakfast runs in my life, one of which turned into a complete disaster (a sprint for bushes!), but the other two were great. I get the same peace and tranquility in my evening runs though, cos I head for the hills, where you would rarely see anyone else. But yes definitely, there will be more morning runs (I'm thinking recovery doubles, or morning run and weights/core later).

As for the physio - why we queue up to hand over our money to these sadistic barstewards, I will never know. Having hairy legs is just adding insult to injury, affording the physio entirely new ways to bring tears the driest of eyes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

As for the physio - why we queue up to hand over our money to these sadistic barstewards, I will never know. Having hairy legs is just adding insult to injury, affording the physio entirely new ways to bring tears the driest of eyes.

You could just shave your legs before going to physio. :pac: Any verdict on the achilles? or is it just tight calves?

• Advertisement

Surely if you shave your legs, it grows back even hairier the next time?
    Small bit of damage to the achilles, but I can train on, as long as I stay away from the hills. So no Plod half marathon for me this weekend. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Sorry to hear that KC. I was looking forward to you showing me the way on Sunday and you could have done well considering the way you've been training recently.

Thanks Slogger Jogger. I had kind of hoped you might struggle to keep up with me on this one. ;) It really is my favourite kind of race, so a little dissapointed, but it could be a hell of a lot worse. I caught an injury in the making. Physio told me to avoid any hills, or bends/turns, but running in straight lines is absolutely fine. So.....

Tonight: 14 Miles in lashing rain, and it was great! Kept reminding myself to slow down, and towards the end the achilles was giving me a bit of a nudge, so kept slowing the pace. It lashed rain non-stop for the entire run, but I had born to run on the mp3 player, and it rocked (loved the section about Emil Zapotek - a hero among men). No water or gels, but with the cooling rain, I felt like I could have kept knocking back the miles for another hour. Two rest days next, and then I've got to figure out if I can manage a 10 mile pmp session on Sunday, as part of an 18 mile run. I just have to find a very level very straight 18 mile stretch of road, with no traffic lights or junctions.

Summary: 14 miles in 1:43, @7:22/mile, HR=137

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Two rest days next, and then I've got to figure out if I can manage a 10 mile pmp session on Sunday, as part of an 18 mile run. I just have to find a very level very straight 18 mile stretch of road, with no traffic lights or junctions.

is there anything else you can be doing in the mean time to help the mend? ice, stretching, etc...
    i find that ice works wonders for any niggly injurys, did my groin and gluts last week, still got in 6days running and all fine now.....i think! :o

if needs be, swap the 18m/10PMP run till next weekend and do an 18m LSR this weekend(or whatever is up next)...

You're preaching to the converted. I'm already doing ice, Zum, Neurofen anti-inflammatory gel, foam roller and stretching. In reality, I should just lay off the running, but there's no reasoning with a clown.

Yesterday's 14 miles didn't go too bad, so I reckon as long as I get the pmp miles done early in the run, then I can finish the run prematurely if needs be. The LSRs are carefully planned out from now to Berlin (though I do have a spare week to play with) so I don't really want to start tampering with them now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

You're preaching to the converted. I'm already doing ice, Zum, Neurofen anti-inflammatory gel, foam roller and stretching. In reality, I should just lay off the running, but there's no reasoning with a clown.
    most runners are like that, I don't know how many people i've talked to who run when injured :) . I think i've I had taken it easier at the start of the year I wouldn't have missed so much running... But then again i'd say i'd still do the same..
    Just make sure you don't end up really injured :) Is that the same injury that kept you out for a good while a year or so ago?

No, that was a completely different leg (which makes everything ok in my book!).

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Hi KC,
    For what it's worth, I never train when injured as I've found that 1 hard session when injured can in turn lead to an extra week of recovery.
    Take a step back and be sensible. "Don't be a Clown" :)

You're right. I'm becoming a slave to hitting the weekly mileage numbers, as I'm incorrectly associating that with a successful marathon outcome, forgetting of course, that injured runners don't get to run marathons. I'll skip today's recovery run (and maybe tomorrow's too) in favour of an easy cycle, and see how I feel for Sunday. Runner's brains work in mysterious ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Sure common sense is overrated anyway. Im exactly the same as you Krusty, aboslutley no reasoning with me. The physio will say: Tunguska you're injured, you cant run for 2 weeks. But what I actually hear is........Tunguska you have a slight niggle, nothing more, sure you know more than I do, a qualified and experienced Physiotherapist, try a run in 2 days.

Are you still doing the 10k next sunday(25th)?

tunguska wrote: »
    Sure common sense is overrated anyway. Im exactly the same as you Krusty, aboslutley no reasoning with me. The physio will say: Tunguska you're injured, you cant run for 2 weeks. But what I actually hear is........Tunguska you have a slight niggle, nothing more, sure you know more than I do, a qualified and experienced Physiotherapist, try a run in 2 days.

Are you still doing the 10k next sunday(25th)?
    LOL. Sounds very familiar! No, I'm actually going to be away down the country for a family thing. I thought about doing the Roscommon Bog-trotters marathon instead (runners are idiots!) as I'll be in the area, and have a 20 mile run to do, but I reckon I've knocked that one on the head too (but still the thoughts linger!). If I pay €50 to enter the race, I know there's no way in hell I'll pull-up after 20 miles, so maybe I'll have enough pints on the Friday night, so there's no way in hell I get up on time on Saturday morning (the day of the marathon!).

No, that was a completely different leg (which makes everything ok in my book!).

Always handy to have a spare leg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

You're right. I'm becoming a slave to hitting the weekly mileage numbers, as I'm incorrectly associating that with a successful marathon outcome, forgetting of course, that injured runners don't get to run marathons. I'll skip today's recovery run (and maybe tomorrow's too) in favour of an easy cycle, and see how I feel for Sunday. Runner's brains work in mysterious ways.
    I never know what my weekly mileage is these days until I remember to add it up about 2 weeks later. I think it's best to focus on the quality sessions (or whatever you like to call them), and run as long and as fast as you feel like on the other days.
    Physio told me to avoid any hills, or bends/turns, but running in straight lines is absolutely fine. So.....

.....I've got to figure out if I can manage a 10 mile pmp session on Sunday, as part of an 18 mile run. I just have to find a very level very straight 18 mile stretch of road, with no traffic lights or junctions.
    How are you planning to get back?:pac:

Hope the injury gets sorted soon. I've been blessed, so far....

aero2k wrote: »
    How are you planning to get back?:pac:
    Circumnavigation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Circumnavigation. :)
    Can a Garmin store 26,000 laps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

If I pay €50 to enter the race, I know there's no way in hell I'll pull-up after 20 miles, so maybe I'll have enough pints on the Friday night, so there's no way in hell I get up on time on Saturday morning (the day of the marathon!).

Do the half and add on 7? Or spend the €50 on pints, either way works I guess :)

€50 is a lot of pints in Roscommon. But you don't get a T-shirt.
    Choices, choices. :)

Today: Sticking to my new sensible regime, I did a quick 10 mile cycle loop around Bray, in 35 mins, @26.9km/hour, while waiting for my dinner to 'ready'. Now it's ready.......

€50 is a lot of pints in Roscommon. But you don't get a T-shirt.
    Choices, choices. :)

Today: Sticking to my new sensible regime, I did a quick 10 mile cycle loop around Bray, in 35 mins, @26.9km/hour, while waiting for my dinner to 'ready'. Now it's ready.......

€45 on beer and yoy'd get 2 T-shirts in Dunes for €5.... I'd go with the drink myself as its nice to have a blow out ever now and then.. there is always another marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I caught an injury in the making. Physio told me to avoid any hills, or bends/turns, but running in straight lines is absolutely fine.

So there goes my motivation for taking on a mountain run this Sunday - the first in many many years;)

Had to get my Achilles seen to last week also, problem was tight calves caused by glutes that need more work - like you, I seem to have caught it in time before it starts to become a problem - having a tender-to-touch achilles pinches and massaged is no fun at all!!

Will have to put some work in for a proper hill return!

lecheile wrote: »
    So there goes my motivation for taking on a mountain run this Sunday - the first in many many years;)
    That's a shame. Sure I'll still be volunteering at the race, marking a section, marshalling and shouting words of encouragement. I was saving some of my choice inspirational comments for you lecheile. Wasted. :)

Today: 18 mile LSR with 10 miles @PMP
    Enjoyed a few beers and a late night with a buddy who has just returned from Boston, happy in the knowledge that I could do a nice easy tun today and run long on Sunday. At 8:20am the phone rang and it was one of the Plod organizers, sorting out the volunteers for Sunday's race. 8:20am start, and 3pm+ finish and up to 6 hours on my feet (and I paid €15 for this? :)) so it doesn't sound like I'll get the long run tomorrow, so despite some dehydration and beer cobwebs, I figured I'd better move it up and do it today.

Four mile warm-up, then kicked off the pmp miles, which didn't go too badly. I diverted from my route though, and didn't pass any shops over the last 5 miles, so by the end I was in rag-order. Really struggled with the remaining four mile warm-down and collapsed in the door, glad that at least the pmp miles went well enough. Lesson learned. Water is a must have for anything 16 miles+ particularly with pmp miles, and hangovers. Achilles still niggledy, but better than expected (though sore now).
    PMP miles: 10 mile @6:22/mile, HR=155

Summary: 18 miles in 2:05, @6:58, HR=150

Spent the morning dragging signs up the Wicklow Way for the plod race, taking lots of photos in the sleet and rain, before dragging the signs back down again. Exercise enough? Not really. Felt very jealous of all of the runners pushing themselves over the route, so after arriving home, did a quick 5 mile recovery run. Couldn't believe the temperature different. Polar up above, tropical down below. I think the hiking up and down helped with the achilles, so good result all around.

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:37/mile, HR=136

Yesterday: Rest day, so just a nice easy swim, mostly flapping about with the youngster.

Today: Planned a nice easy 15 miler, but deviated from my planned route a little (thicko!) and ended up doing 16.5 miles. They were very comfortable, and the miles flew by with more 'born to run' so happy enough with the run. Narrowly escaped having to stop for a pikey thankfully. In fact, I nearly threw up just after leaving the house, so something was a little off kilter, but it didn't seem to affect the run too much. Didn't bother with water or gel (didn't pass any shops anyway). Feels good to get a medium long run done during the week, though with a hard session planned for Thursday (5 miles @1/2 MP), I might have overdone it. HRM still screwed up, when it gets too sweaty.

Summary: 16.5 miles in 2:04, @7:20/mile. HR=139 (est.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

KC nice PMP session there on Sat. Combining PMP and long run is impressive after pints;).
    I knew how you felt at the end but unlike you I only did barely 14 at an easy pace on the Sunday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Very nice pmp indeed there Krusty, its amazing how exercise is a great cure for a hangover! With 6:22 pace, I see your aiming for a sub 2:50 marathon.

Advertisement