Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Good to have some company on a mid-week run for a change, which over the course of the marathon plan can be a bit of a slog, though I did worry a little when he launched himself off the side of 'my hill' with reckless abandon.

Sorry about that!
    In a strange way I can relate: I have a hill that's "mine", and get a little upset when a training partner runs it faster better brakes off in a different manner, than the way I feel it should be run. I guess I did treat your hill roughly for a fast downhill- at least you knew her when she was pretty;)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Hi KC,
    In answer to your question about my Ultra Taper I don't have anything specific and it's more or less a Marathon Taper. Looking over your log I'd say you have it spot on and that recent 50K would say that you're in good shape if you were thinking about an Ultra in the next month or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for the advice Woundedknee. No ultras for me this year, but I hope to do one next April (only a shorty, at 56K), and possibly run a longer ultra later in the year (maybe Dingle). Just marathons from here on in, to the end of the year (one fast one, one pacing marathon, and one for fun).

Tonight: 5 mile recovery run
    Nice chilled recovery run in the park, and then took some advice and did 19x50m strides barefoot, to try and improve my running style and strengthen the tendons in my ankle. While I got the (now standard) strange looks, I could almost feel the achilles stretching, and noticeably feel the weight shift to the front on my feet. while try and get some more of these in during recovery runs.

Summary: 5 miles in 40 mins, HR=screwed-up as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Pity you couldn't do The Dingle Ultra this year as I'd say you'd do well in it. That recent 50K would say you're in great shape.

Big difference between 50k and 50 miles! I know I can run 42k-50k comfortably, but 50 miles is a whole different level of crazy, reserved for the most special of crazies. :)

Tonight: I think I should have been a hurdler, as I sure do like to line up those fences in front of me. After the weekends mishaps, and a couple of late nights and early mornings, I met up with some of the old-guard last night for a few beers, and although I kept it sensible, I was still wrecked today (I'm getting old). So I toyed with the idea of ditching this session, but there's a part of my subconscious that knows that as soon as I miss one session, I'm giving myself opt-out clauses, so decided to push it anyway.

Three mile warm-up, where the legs felt shaky (they always do before these sessions?!) followed by four miles at LT pace (planned 6:05/mile). It was a real struggle, but I got though it anyway (stupidly 10 sec/mile too fast as usual), and struggled for the last half mile with legs screaming from last weekend's long run, but got it done. The 160 bpm heart rate for the LT miles betraying the fact that it was a lot harder than it should have been (156 for 5 miles last week). I cut the recovery miles short, as it's supposed to be a recovery week.

LT miles: 4 miles @5:55/mile @160bpm

Summary: 8.2 miles in 56 mins @6:51/mile, HR=screwed up HRM as usual

• Advertisement

Tonight: 7 Mile easy run
    I find that after a speed session it's easier for the pace to drift into the fast figures, so I have to keep an eye on the watch, or I'll find myself on the fast side of 7 min mile, which is too quick for an easy run. 17 mile run tomorrow, which should feel short in comparison to last week's long run.

Summary: 7 miles in 50 mins, @7:16/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Looks like you are straight back into the training with 7min per mile easy runs - I love it.
    Any room for variation in the schedule there will be a 5k in Shanganagh on Sept 8th.
    Go on you know you want to!
    4849146118_c1fe3a534e_o.jpg

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Looks like you are straight back into the training with 7min per mile easy runs - I love it.
    Any room for variation in the schedule there will be a 5k in Shanganagh on Sept 8th.
    Is that a fit4life race? Any links? Will definitely give it a go, if there's a similar session in the plan around then. Normally I'd have all the runs mapped out for the next two months, but this time round I'm only mapping a week in advance.

Today: 17 mile LSR
    Limbs and joints still a small bit stiff, so I was going to treat this run with some caution. I loosened up a bit after the initial uphills and was running comfortably after 4 or 5 miles. Managed to get some miles in at PMP pace a couple of times on the flats, and they were nice and comfortable, with the HR staying nice and low.

I'm happy to have gotten through a full 56 mile week of training, so no signs yet of paying a penalty for last weekend's foolishness. HRM on the blink, which has become par for the course at this stage.

Summary: 17 miles in 1:58, @6:59/mile, HR=140'ish

Is that a fit4life race? Any links? Will definitely give it a go, if there's a similar session in the plan around then. Normally I'd have all the runs mapped out for the next two months, but this time round I'm only mapping a week in advance.

Yep it's a F4L, it's on the tarmac path, usually 2 full laps and 1 of the back field, starting and finishing in that back field no direct link for the race only the series: http://www.athleticswicklow.com/entry_forms/fit4life_10.pdf
    Unfortunatley I'll be away with work - had 60 in it last year and was won in 16:56: http://www.athleticswicklow.com/results/fit4life_09/round9_090909.html
    and 15:53 the year before: http://www.athleticswicklow.com/results/fit4life_08/round7_210908.html

• Advertisement

7am?! Really? At least there's little chance I'd get lost. :o

LOL - sure what's a p between friends (typoville)!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭opus

Today: 17 mile LSR
    Limbs and joints still a small bit stiff, so I was going to treat this run with some caution. I loosened up a bit after the initial uphills and was running comfortably after 4 or 5 miles. Managed to get some miles in at PMP pace a couple of times on the flats, and they were nice and comfortable, with the HR staying nice and low.

I'm happy to have gotten through a full 56 mile week of training, so no signs yet of paying a penalty for last weekend's foolishness. HRM on the blink, which has become par for the course at this stage.

Summary: 17 miles in 1:58, @6:59/mile, HR=140'ish

I clicked on the link to Garmin Connect before I read the last paragraph about your HRM being kaput & got a shock seeing the figure of 236 for your max heart rate, was thinking to myself that I'm not even trying given what I saw for the max hr for a half-marathon distance run I did today :eek:

opus wrote: »
    I clicked on the link to Garmin Connect before I read the last paragraph about your HRM being kaput & got a shock seeing the figure of 236 for your max heart rate, was thinking to myself that I'm not even trying given what I saw for the max hr for a half-marathon distance run I did today :eek:
    Well, based on the 220 - age formula, I'm not going to be born for another 18 years. I'm seriously going to kick ass at the 0-5 years marathon class.

Tonight: 11 miles with 5 x 1200m (0.75 miles) @5K pace
    Bit of a disaster with the training preparation, so didn't get to head out until 9:30pm, at which stage it was getting dark, and the pre-run food I ate before leaving work was just a distant memory. The park was dark and empty, but for the bats and the knackers (winter is already upon us?!), and I have never run at this specific pace before, so trying to read the pace numbers in the dark proved almost impossible, so though I managed to get close to the numbers, it was more blind luck. On the second interval, I actually pulled up prematurely with the clock ticking away. Still, a tough session done one day early, so overall, despite the wintery conditions, it's a good result.

Intervals: 4:08 / 4:16 (pulled up too early) / 4:10 / 4:08 / 4:09
    Pace: 5:31 / 5:41 / 5:34 / 5:31 / 5:32
    HR: 159 / 172 / 176 / 168 / 164

Summary: 11 miles in 80 mins, @7:11/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Fair play, if it had gotten to 9.30 and I still hadn't done my run, I'd be knocking it on the head!

It was a bit of a shock to the system, as I actually could have done with the head-torch (though I would've been like a beacon for the knackers). Wait till you have a sprinkling of kids, then you realize you have to build your training runs around everybody else's schedules, and you're bottom of the peckham order. :)

I was supposed to head out for 4-6 miles this morning, but was just too shagged tires, so it'll be 10pm+ tonight. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

It was a bit of a shock to the system, as I actually could have done with the head-torch

I was supposed to head out for 4-6 miles this morning, but was just too shagged tires, so it'll be 10pm+ tonight. :(

Welcome to my world Krusty, the world of (very)late night runs. I have to say I really enjoy the late night training though. Where I live its like a ghost town after a certain hour so Id have the place to myself.
    Although I have no little Tunguska's to factor into the equation so admittedly things are a bit more straight forward for me.

I wouldve thought you'd be running the kilomarathon this weekend???

I'm trying to take things a little easier (from a racing perspective) since my 30 mile adventure 10 days ago. It's all eyes on the prize from now until the 26th September. I'll do the Frank Duffy and hopefully another 10k race, cos they're aligned with the plan, but mostly otherwise it's all training. Instead I have an 18 mile LSR with 12 miles @PMP to look forward to this weekend.

I didn't consider doing the kilomarathon for the PMP, but it looks quite hilly based on their maps?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Wait till you have a sprinkling of kids, then you realize you have to build your training runs around everybody else's schedules, and you're bottom of the peckham order. :)

very good :D

• Advertisement

Today: Just an quick/easy 4 mile run, between work and legging it to the Aviva to watch the scum with the young fella. ;) My Garmin was out of juice so grabbed the OH's, and then forgot to press start for 1/2 mile. One of those days.

Summary: 4 miles in something, @something, HR=something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I see you guys are organizing raiding parties into Dublin these days over the mountains. How did the run go? By the looks of the photos you were on top of Three Rock, so slightly off the Plod route.

Raiding parties, yes - and more to follow :D! As interesting as your boggy ultra run in the shticks - no way!!

We had a lovely 14 mile run, ending up on top of Two Rock (did not what it was called until i checked the garmin map) Much more accessible and far less congested than the Wicklow way, must make more of a habit out of it.

Today: 15 Mile medium Long run
    Felt a little harder than it should have, but I guess these mid-week medium long runs take a bit of getting used to. It was very humid and I was sweating buckets. By mile 12 I was feeling dehydrated, so pulled up for a sports drink, and soon felt grand again. Couple of quickish miles just to stretch the legs. A couple of recovery runs over the next two days, then a very hard PMP session on Sunday.

Summary: 15 mines in 1:50, @7:18/mile, HR=134 (messed up?)

lecheile wrote: »
    must make more of a habit out of it.
    Well, if you do, give me a holler..

This morning: 5 Mile recovery run.
    I'm not a big fan of pre-brekkie runs, but I'm having my final night out on the town tonight until after Berlin, so needed to get the run over with. When I woke up at 6:50 without setting the alarm, the writing was on the wall. Started out very stiff from last night's 15 mile exertion, but slowly loosened up, and was running comfortably by mile 4, albeit at 8 min/mile. The park's nice at this hour, as it's lovely and cool, and you share the park with like-minded runners and respectful dog-walkers.

Summary: 5 miles in 41 min, @8:03/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Well, if you do, give me a holler..

This morning: 5 Mile recovery run.
    I'm not a big fan of pre-brekkie runs, but I'm having my final night out on the town tonight until after Berlin, so needed to get the run over with. When I woke up at 6:50 without setting the alarm, the writing was on the wall. Started out very stiff from last night's 15 mile exertion, but slowly loosened up, and was running comfortably by mile 4, albeit at 8 min/mile. The park's nice at this hour, as it's lovely and cool, and you share the park with like-minded runners and respectful dog-walkers.

Summary: 5 miles in 41 min, @8:03/mile.
    Thats dediation. 7 weeks and no grog. What weight would you hope to lose in those 7 weeks ??

Thats dediation. 7 weeks and no grog. What weight would you hope to lose in those 7 weeks ??
    It's only 6 weeks, as I have a week's holiday, and will enjoy some beers and shorter runs in the Spanish sun! It's hard to tell, in terms of the weight, but I'm usually around 12 stone (75 kgs?) so I'd imagine I'll get down to around 11 and a bit (70kgs?). I'm never really pushed about weight. It is what it is. Half of the reason for giving up the beer is the side-effects. Hangovers, tiredness, dehydration, poor diet, etc. I'll still keep some alcohol free beers in the fridge as a reward for those tough sessions.

This is the problem with marathon running. The faster you want to go, the more sacrifices you need to be prepared to make. More miles means more training time, but at least giving up the beer will give me some of that free time back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Fair Play Krusty for giving up the beer!

Good idea about having an emergency stash of alcoholfrei though ! You'll need them to keep sane after some of those marathon-paced runs. :)

tisnotover wrote: »
    Fair Play Krusty for giving up the beer!

Good idea about having an emergency stash of alcoholfrei though ! You'll need them to keep sane after some of those marathon-paced runs. :)
    Well, it's about time I started catching up on sleep. Normally I'd average 5-6 hours per night, which is generally fine, but if you do a medium long run the previous night and another run the next morning, I need a lot of coffee afterwards it seems! And I'm not giving up coffee. They'll have to pry that cup of joe from my cold dead hands.

Today: 7 Mile recovery run
    Pretty generous hangover, from trying to pack 6 weeks of beer into one night, so took the opportunity to do a nice very chilled recovery run, which was just what the mind and body needed and I quite enjoyed it. Good prep for tomorrow's long pmp run.

Summary: 7 miles in 57 mins, @8:13/mile, HR=129

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

Today: 7 Mile recovery run
    Pretty generous hangover, from trying to pack 6 weeks of beer into one night, so took the opportunity to do a nice very chilled recovery run, which was just what the mind and body needed and I quite enjoyed it. Good prep for tomorrow's long pmp run.

Summary: 7 miles in 57 mins, @8:13/mile, HR=129

what a wimp, I did my p1/2mp run yesterday with a hangover, and actually felt great :D

Advertisement