Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Today: 50 Mile cycle - Dublin Bay from Shankill to Howth and back
    A bit more butchery on the blister, and put on the running gear, but didn't get too far, as the blister area is still very tender. In two years of marathon running, I can say with some certainty that I've never missed a long run, but I made the most of a frustrating situation, and hopped on the bike on a fantastic day and headed for the sea. I took the pace handy. Didn't really have a choice, with sunny day beach traffic, and slow cyclists.

Lovely cycle, and the views from Howth back over the bay to the Wicklow Mountains is fantastic (shame about the smell of sewage). You DNS guys are spoiled with your tarmacadam, and your posh cycle tracks. :)

Summary: 50 miles in 3:16, @24km/hour, HR=126'ish
    I assume you are going to head down the triathlon path at some point?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

mithril wrote: »
    I assume you are going to head down the triathlon path at some point?
    Well, it's always been at the back of my mind, however, I'm a very weak swimmer, and can't even give a triathlon serious consideration until I fix this shortcoming. This year's focus is the marathon, and that consumes a lot of my time (6 days running, + one other activity p/week). Next year I think I'll take a break from marathons for at least the first half of the year, and concentrate on either my short distance / or ultras, which should free up some time to try to pick up my swimming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

sorry to hear about the blister krusty - it must be bad if you cant run with a compeed? Ive run with half the skin on the ball of my foot falling off once I had one of those on.

Great LT session BTW. Good luck on sunday.

sorry to hear about the blister krusty - it must be bad if you cant run with a compeed? Ive run with half the skin on the ball of my foot falling off once I had one of those on.
    Great LT session BTW. Good luck on sunday.
    I'm the same. Normally I wouldn't even blink at a blister, but for some reason, this particular one wasn't playing nice.

Not for the squeamish -
    Even though I lacerated it many times it started to build up pus again under the compeed plaster, which meant removing the compeed plasters (twice) and having another go. Got pissed off last night, so got a sharp knife (sterilized of course) and made some vertical slits so it would drain properly.

Seems sorted now, with no compeed. Yay! So just trying to figure out if I should do the missed long run on Wednesday or not. I have a 15 in the schedule, so might just up it to 20, and hope that it doesn't impact Saturday's race (the race just being a stepping-stone towards Berlin).
    Good luck on sunday.
    Thanks very much. On Sunday I hope to be sunning myself in a small fishing village called Moraira, on the Costa Blanca. I need all the luck I can get. :cool:

ooohhh sounds like a tough one alright. Glad its betting better.

They say you shouldnt try to catch up on lost training. Id say 20 midweek will banjax you for the race. The 10 miler isnt a flat course.

Perhaps 16 would make you feel better but not wreck you too much? Or esle skip the race a do a proper LSR before hols?

yeah - meant saturday :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Like you I never blinked at blisters previously. Last September I ran with no socks and got a really nasty blister, it got a little infected but nothing too bad. But the pain when I ran on it was unbearable. Had to miss nearly 2 weeks while I waited for it to heal.

Regarding the 20 miler you are thinking of, I'd skip it and stick to 15. I know the 10 mile race is only a stepping stone but you'll get more out of hammering a 10 miler than running an extra 5 miles on a long run. That's just my opinion of course.

Thanks for the voice of reason guys. I'll stick to 15-16 miles mid week and give the 10 mile a good crack. No long run this weekend either, due to holidays, so hopefully this won't come back to haunt me in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Well, it's always been at the back of my mind, however, I'm a very weak swimmer, and can't even give a triathlon serious consideration until I fix this shortcoming. This year's focus is the marathon, and that consumes a lot of my time (6 days running, + one other activity p/week). Next year I think I'll take a break from marathons for at least the first half of the year, and concentrate on either my short distance / or ultras, which should free up some time to try to pick up my swimming.
    There are a few duathlons (Run/Cycle/Run stages) you could do that avoid the swimming leg.
    Although only three hard sessions a week are needed when training for an Ultra, you need a lot of rest in between. You might be able to improve your swimming on alternate days, but I suspect you will be so wrecked recovery is all you will be able to manage.

mithril wrote: »
    There are a few duathlons (Run/Cycle/Run stages) you could do that avoid the swimming leg.
    Although only three hard sessions a week are needed when training for an Ultra, you need a lot of rest in between. You might be able to improve your swimming on alternate days, but I suspect you will be so wrecked recovery is all you will be able to manage.
    I previously found that swimming aided recovery on my days off, but no doubt you're right. Swimming with intent will probably be even more tiring. I'll hang on until the marathons times start dropping, and will switch to triathlons then. :)

Tonight: 21 Mile LSR
    Decided to go with option 'c', which I only thought of on my way home. Blister felt fine, so scoffed some pre-run food, and headed out on a miserable November evening, with two-layers, including a day-glo jacket, to suit the wintery conditions. It was pretty cool and extremely wet, so had no real need for water stops, but stopped for 500ml and later had an isotonic gel just to keep the quality of the run up. Blister didn't trouble me at all (which is great) and the achilles only pinged me a small bit (which is good). Was glad to finally get home and scoff my very late dinner.

Will take it a bit easier this week, to give me a good run up to Saturday's race.

Summary: 21 miles in 2:36, @7:24/mile, HR=140

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭seanynova

Decided to go with option 'c', which I only thought of on my way home. Blister felt fine, so scoffed some pre-run food, and headed out on a miserable November evening, with two-layers, including a day-glo jacket, to suit the wintery conditions. It was pretty cool and extremely wet, so had no real need for water stops, but stopped for 500ml and later had an isotonic gel just to keep the quality of the run up. Blister didn't trouble me at all (which is great) and the achilles only pinged me a small bit (which is good). Was glad to finally get home and scoff my very late dinner.

Will take it a bit easier this week, to give me a good run up to Saturday's race.

savage! good idea to get that one in early in the week....all aerobic/recovery now till sat i take it?

what HR do you predict during the marathon if your HR is only 140ave @7:24m/m???
    i cant even do 8:00m/m and have a HR of 140bpm!!

Not too sure Seanynova, a lot really depends on the weather in Berlin. In the past it has averaged around 150 - 160, with some drift in the later stages of the race, when the pace/weather/effort levels pick up. Hopefully it will be similar!

you had the cake and ate it. Great stuff.

you had the cake and ate it. Great stuff.
    Yeah, when I realized that I was going to go two 20 days between LSRs, due to holidays next week, small alarm bells started ringing, particularly as it's 5-6 weeks before the goal race. Given the blister was fine, I think I did the right thing.

It was nearly my most expensive training run ever, as I had both my phone (in case I needed rescue!) and new mp3 player (after drowning the last one!) individual wrapped with a €10 note, in a gel belt. Despite the bags, after 160 mins of lashing rain, they were completely soaked. Thankfully, a night in the hot press did the job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

How are you fixed for saturday Krusty, Is the sub 60 on? I know aero2k is in good nick for his attempt(fightin' talk)..............

Yeah, when I realized that I was going to go two 20 days between LSRs, due to holidays next week, small alarm bells started ringing, particularly as it's 5-6 weeks before the goal race. Given the blister was fine, I think I did the right thing.

It was nearly my most expensive training run ever, as I had both my phone (in case I needed rescue!) and new mp3 player (after drowning the last one!) individual wrapped with a €10 note, in a gel belt. Despite the bags, after 160 mins of lashing rain, they were completely soaked. Thankfully, a night in the hot press did the job!

hahaha the magic hotpress has saved me a couple of times alright - even fixed an annual bus ticket which had been machine washed....

from the way your training has been going I reckon you will have a good race on sat - looking forward to the report...

tunguska wrote: »
    How are you fixed for saturday Krusty, Is the sub 60 on? I know aero2k is in good nick for his attempt(fightin' talk)..............

The achilles feels ok'ish, the blister that plagued me over the weekend has all but disappeared, and I did 7 miles at 6 min/mile on Friday. So who know? I'll give it my best shot anyway.

It'll be easier for aero2k, as this a goal race for him, complete with luxurious taper and season-long motivation. For me it's just another Saturday. :D

Tonight: Just an easy 5 mile recovery run to speed up recovery from yesterday's long run, and get ready for tomorrow's intervals. Body feels a little less stiff, so job done. Basturd midge's though. Got one caught in my eye and another stuck in my wind-wipe. Nearly yacked. Also started listening to MarathonTalk after seeing it mentioned on the main forum. Great way to make the miles pass by with ease.

Summary: 5 miles in 39 mins, @7:49/mile, HR=130

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

The achilles feels ok'ish, the blister that plagued me over the weekend has all but disappeared, and I did 7 miles at 6 min/mile on Friday. So who know? I'll give it my best shot anyway.

It'll be easier for aero2k, as this a goal race for him, complete with luxurious taper and season-long motivation. For me it's just another Saturday. :D

That session last Friday would put you bang on form for running a half marathon at 6min/mile not to mind Krusty ! Though, I know the 10mile course is hilly ?

Best of luck with it anyhow, I know you'll give it socks and as always the race report will be one to look forward to! :)

tisnotover wrote: »
    That session last Friday would put you bang on form for running a half marathon at 6min/mile not to mind Krusty !
    Not in this life-time year! The seven miles @6:01 was pretty tough, and that was on a flat forgiving surface (and for a race you need to be going faster than the Garmin pace in order to allow for race line, deviations etc). So I'll give it a pop and hope for the best. Previous PB is 66 mins (same race last year), so I hope to at least take a chunk of off of that. I have only invested €20 in this race. My investment in Berlin is sooooo much more.... Eyes on the prize..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I understand, this is the same approach Im taking. Im not tapering for any race except the main one(marathon)so every race in between now and then is done on the back of a heavy weeks training. I know you've read P&D and theyre big fans of this approach. Best to keep saturdays result in context.

tunguska wrote: »
    I understand, this is the same approach Im taking. Im not tapering for any race except the main one(marathon)so every race in between now and then is done on the back of a heavy weeks training. I know you've read P&D and theyre big fans of this approach. Best to keep saturdays result in context.
    I'm just playing mind games (teasing aero2k). I'm planning on giving this the go it deserves. If I fail, it's because i'm not ready for it, not because I didn't try. I have found that sometimes it's good to try and fail in a race, as you'll learn more from them then the ones you found easy. But you never know. It might work out. :)

Tonight: 10 miles including 5x600m @5K
    These went fine, though it was getting a little dark, so I misjudged the pace, again and again, and again. I'm sure this is where running with a club would definitely help. I always feel a little guilty about pegging it past other runners at 5:30/mile. It's feels like I'm trying to show off. Particularly when the interval ends, and you end up puffing and panting 20 metres further on.

Intervals: 2:04/2:06/2:04/2:03/1:58
    Average pace: 5:25/mile

Summary: 10 miles in 1:17 @7:42/mile, HR=136

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Nice running. Pity you had to miss a fine race in Tibradden. T Runner pipped at the post by Jason R (DCM 3 hr pacer), both doing Berlin I think.

Yeah, that is a shame. Would've been nice to meet the guys and see how they're getting on. Sounds like they're both flying if in 1st/2nd place. How did you get on in the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Yeah, that is a shame. Would've been nice to meet the guys and see how they're getting on. Sounds like they're both flying if in 1st/2nd place. How did you get on in the race?

Pretty good. 6th, but seconds behind Eamon. 1st M40. Figure c. 10k suits me better than 6.5k :)

Pretty good. 6th, but seconds behind Eamon. 1st M40. Figure c. 10k suits me better than 6.5k :)
    Congrats on another solid finish. Damn, based on last week that kind of course might have suited me. :)
    Still, 10 mile race on Saturday morning, and last week's appearance cost me a day or two of training. Hopefully I'll get to do a lot of the winter league this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Congrats on another solid finish. Damn, based on last week that kind of course might have suited me. :)
    Still, 10 mile race on Saturday morning, and last week's appearance cost me a day or two of training. Hopefully I'll get to do a lot of the winter league this year.

Hi Krusty,

It would have suited you allright, I reckon. Youll know some/most of it from Dublin plod training but it was very runnable throughout, wit some very good fast flat sections. Some of the descending was tricky but none of it would have been as tricky as say 2 rock down to 3 rock. Wouldnt ahve suited you time wise as you say with 10 miler on saturday but one for again. The route used to be pretty treacerous until teh Dublin Way caused its upgrade . Ill post a link to the race on Garmin Connect (have started using it) when I upload later.

T runner wrote: »
    Hi Krusty,

It would have suited you allright, I reckon. Youll know some/most of it from Dublin plod training but it was very runnable throughout, wit some very good fast flat sections. Some of the descending was tricky but none of it would have been as tricky as say 2 rock down to 3 rock. Wouldnt ahve suited you time wise as you say with 10 miler on saturday but one for again. The route used to be pretty treacerous until teh Dublin Way caused its upgrade . Ill post a link to the race on Garmin Connect (have started using it) when I upload later.
    Thanks and congrats on the nearly first! Really enjoyed the race report (coming as it did once again from the perspective of someone at the front of the race field!). Looking forward to the warrior's report already (though hopefully from the perspective of first across the finish line).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Thanks and congrats on the nearly first! Really enjoyed the race report (coming as it did once again from the perspective of someone at the front of the race field!). Looking forward to the warrior's report already (though hopefully from the perspective of first across the finish line).

Thanks Im going well so delighted with form last night. I wont be first across the finsish line there! I know of 7 at-least who should be well ahead. Im sure I dont know of a few more who will be. Good news is will have a chance for revenge from last night on home turf!

I reckon boards ac should enter a team in this for next year.

Advertisement