Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

seanynova wrote: »
    well done on getting a) runs in while on holidays, b) running in the heat that you had to and c) doing them uphills!
    do you know anything about that?
    Thanks Seanynova. Fixed the activities (I had privacy turned on).

Today: 18 Mile progression run
    Only arrived home at around 1:30am, and with unpacking and stuff was pretty knackered and dehydrated form flights and the last dregs of the beer, so wasn't in great form for this one. Struggled during the warm-up with tiredness, and then felt fine for the next 10 miles (the hard miles) then struggled through the final 2 mile warm down-afterwards.
    4 Miles @7:51 Warm-up
    3 Miles @7:22
    3 Miles @7:01
    3 Miles @6:45
    3 Miles @6:23
    2 Miles @7:57 Warm-down

Summary: 18 Miles in 2:10, @7:13/mile, HR=screwed up as usual

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

Nice work, both on the progression and the running on holidays.

I was running in Mallorca the week before last, and even getting out before 9am was a total sweatfest. Was straight into the pool when I got back from each run!

Like you, I also noticed that locals seem to prefer evening running to morning running.

Cheers Peckham, can't help but feel that we're running out of time now, with just four weeks remaining. Running in hot climates is rough, isn't it? Have to completely forget about pace, and then spend two hours recovering, for one hour of running.. Tough!

It certainly feels very close now. Just one week, then taper. Yikes!

It's at the stage now where part of me thinks that I haven't done enough work in training, and I'm only thinking about the sessions missed (of which there are a few). Realistically though, I'm in as good a shape as I could hope to be at this stage!

You must be feeling pretty confident too?

Peckham wrote: »
    You must be feeling pretty confident too?
    You'll fly through it. I think it's easier to be confident in other's ability to hit their goals than your own!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Just catching up - very interesting - Oh that Scott is not so bad.

Meanwhile ..... 37c + hills. Ouch ! Nice job.

Tonight: 6 Mile recovery run
    Body felt quite sore and tired, particularly the shins and ankles after yesterday's run, but I'm trying to hit a peak mileage week this week, so better to get the recovery started as soon as possible. 6 very easy miles that felt tougher than they should have.

Summary: 6 miles in 49 mins, @8:16/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Just 4 weeks now Krusty. Myself and my training buddy/coach will be doing this for the first time next year so Im looking forward to your race report for a bit of recon.
    Forgive my ignorance but whats your target for this race? Sub 2:50?

tunguska wrote: »
    Just 4 weeks now Krusty. Myself and my training buddy/coach will be doing this for the first time next year so Im looking forward to your race report for a bit of recon.
    Forgive my ignorance but whats your target for this race? Sub 2:50?
    Hi Tunguska, you'll love it. It's a fantastic experience. Target is 2:48 (target pace is around 6:20-6:25/mile.). Would love to go a bit faster, but will just have to see on the day. A lot depends on the heat. Last September it was 24'C towards the end, which made life a little awkward. Haile blamed the heat on his failed WR attempt (which is probably why he's gone to NY instead this year). At the moment it seems to be a rather cool 18'C, so fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

When do you start your Taper? sounds like yer in great shape.

• Advertisement

Today: Another 6 mile recovery run, this time I felt a little looser, but it was a horrible run, and even the lads on 'off the ball' couldn't lift my spirits. I've come to the conclusion that Tuesdays and running just isn't a good mix for me. Thank feck there are very few races organized on Tuesdays. But hopefully it has loosened things up enough for tomorrow's interval session. Ugh. The idea of doing 1k intervals is almost nauseating. Hopefully tomorrow will be better, but it'll be a late one, so they'll be run in the dark, which I always find tough for intervals where I really have to keep an eye on the pace.

Summary: 6 miles in 47 mins, @7:56/mile, HRM=totally screwed up.

When do you start your Taper? sounds like yer in great shape.
    Thanks woundedknee. Not feeling the love at the moment. Feeling stiff and old (usually a good sign for me that taper is coming!). The marathon programs I follow tend to be a two week taper, but they do ease up a little in the third week, so it's a coming! Like yourself I'm peaking this week, but my numbers would be paltry by comparison! How many miles this week? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

Just under 50 miles so far which is a continuation from last week and the week before but it's all relative. Taper starts next Monday and then I need to figure a way of keeping my weight in check:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Krusty,

I stayed away from here until all the squatters left!:D
    Feeling stiff and old (usually a good sign for me that taper is coming!).
    I've been getting a lot of that lately, though in my case I actually am old!

Funnily enough, the worst I've ever felt was the week leading up to DCM '09, closely followed by the week leading up to Edinburgh '10. Icould barely manage 9 min miles in each case, but I was fine on the respective days.

I'd love to understand the physical / mental cause of this sub-par feeling; I've also learned to take it as a good sign.

Best of luck with the last few tough sessions and the taper.

Yeah, it's a little disappointing, as returning from a weeks holidays, where I avoided doing a long run (the day after the 10 mile) and doing just 4x10ks, I hoped to be rested and refreshed and chomping at the bit for my final weeks of training. Well you play the cards you're dealt, and looking back over my training log it does seem to be a pattern.
    All the same I think I'll hit the physio next week and get the calf muscles done, as the achilles are both quite sore (one of which I hurt after having a mishap on one of these - the latest in aerobic training equipment).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

(one of which I hurt after having a mishap on one of these - the latest in aerobic training equipment).

Feck the powerplate and your bootcamps. Krusty's gym bring you the latest in high tech Spanish cardio equipment.

Was it the slide or the pedals that caused the injury? because I'll be honest, if it was that wussy slide you need to HTFU.

Feck the powerplate and your bootcamps. Krusty's gym bring you the latest in high tech Spanish cardio equipment.

Was it the slide or the pedals that caused the injury? because I'll be honest, if it was that wussy slide you need to HTFU.
    Foot slipped off the pedal and achilles got lashed against the top of the pedal. Nothing serious just a general ache to add the the general achiness of marathon training. Krusty's House of Pain (now with pedal boats). Solid name for a gym.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Krusty's House of Pain (now with pedal boats). Solid name for a gym.

Considering some of the absolute $hit that the average person looking to get fit will swallow you could be onto a good thing. Watch of Ben Dunne!

Considering some of the absolute $hit that the average person looking to get fit will swallow you could be onto a good thing. Watch of Ben Dunne!
    Yeah, I had to google your powerplate. That one really take's the charm! With Krusty's House of Pain over the door, and vibrating panels, I might get entirely the right wrong type of customers.

Tonight: 11 miles with 6x1K @5K Pace
    The results were good, but the run itself was pretty crap. Both achilles were pretty sore, and I had a major watch bezel malfunction (huge over-dependancy on technology!) and couldn't see the pace in the darkness at all, so had to just guess at my pace for the 5th 1km interval. Still, it was my fastest interval, so maybe I should avoid watching my pace in future.

Intervals (time): 3:25/3:24/3:25/3:24/3:20/3:26
    Intervals (pace): 5:32/5:29/5:32/5:29/5:24/5:33

Summary: 11 miles in 1:18, @7:09, HR=146 (or something; stupid watch.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Tonight: 11 miles with 6x1K @5K Pace
    The results were good, but the run itself was pretty crap. Both achilles were pretty sore, and I had a major watch bezel malfunction (huge over-dependancy on technology!) and couldn't see the pace in the darkness at all, so had to just guess at my pace for the 5th 1km interval. Still, it was my fastest interval, so maybe I should avoid watching my pace in future.

Intervals (time): 3:25/3:24/3:25/3:24/3:20/3:26
    Intervals (pace): 5:32/5:29/5:32/5:29/5:24/5:33

Summary: 11 miles in 1:18, @7:09, HR=146 (or something; stupid watch.)
    What recoveries had you in between them ?
    Hope achilles gets better. with 2.48 in mind you will need everything to fit in. Whats the plan to halfway ? Negative split ?

It was 2:30 between intervals. Program suggested 50%-90% recovery, so 2:30 is around 73%. They actually felt ok, but for the achilles, which is a bit worrisome. You know me at this stage. I'm a negative split man! I'm not too bothered about splits or segment times. Plan will be to run comfortably the whole way, and pick it up toward the end.

Today: 11 miles steady
    Was in a bit of a rush for this run (which is never a good idea for me) as I had some work stuff to do at 7:30, so it was either get the run done beforehand in the sun, or run afterwards in the dark. I opted for the former, but was running against the clock. After 5 miles I would have pulled up due to shin and achilles pain, bit I didn't have a phone with me, was in a remote area, and had to get home for a call, so not the most pleasant of runs, hobbling uncomfortably and trying to get home on time. Think I'll take a rest day tomorrow (cycle) then recovery run on Saturday and final long run on Sunday. No point trying to hit a 70 mile week this week if it means I don't make it to the start line.

Summary: 11 miles in 1:19, @7:09/mile, HR=139

It was 2:30 between intervals. Program suggested 50%-90% recovery, so 2:30 is around 73%. They actually felt ok, but for the achilles, which is a bit worrisome. You know me at this stage. I'm a negative split man! I'm not too bothered about splits or segment times. Plan will be to run comfortably the whole way, and pick it up toward the end.

Was in a bit of a rush for this run (which is never a good idea for me) as I had some work stuff to do at 7:30, so it was either get the run done beforehand in the sun, or run afterwards in the dark. I opted for the former, but was running against the clock. After 5 miles I would have pulled up due to shin and achilles pain, bit I didn't have a phone with me, was in a remote area, and had to get home for a call, so not the most pleasant of runs, hobbling uncomfortably and trying to get home on time. Think I'll take a rest day tomorrow (cycle) then recovery run on Saturday and final long run on Sunday. No point trying to hit a 70 mile week this week if it means I don't make it to the start line.

Great pace the day after an interval.
    You have the work done so no need to feic it up. Might talk to you in three weeks and see howc the land lies. ~I assume you got a place up the front. Last year it took me a minutes ot cross hte line. This year I hope to cut that by 30 seconds. Want to run with a group that will be my pace. #i found out last year I was in no mans land..........Nice to have a lad/lassie with same target. That way you have company for 15 mile anyway.

Great pace the day after an interval.
    You have the work done so no need to feic it up. Might talk to you in three weeks and see howc the land lies. ~I assume you got a place up the front. Last year it took me a minutes ot cross hte line. This year I hope to cut that by 30 seconds. Want to run with a group that will be my pace. #i found out last year I was in no mans land..........Nice to have a lad/lassie with same target. That way you have company for 15 mile anyway.
    Sounds good. I'll definitely head up the front, but don't know what pen I've been assigned to. Have they handed out that info yet?

Sounds good. I'll definitely head up the front, but don't know what pen I've been assigned to. Have they handed out that info yet?

What did you put down as your projected time ? This is on email that they sent you with your number. Last year I put down 3 hours this year #I was ambitious and I should be 20 yds from the front. It will be like 02.50.00 or something like that........

What did you put down as your projected time ? This is on email that they sent you with your number. Last year I put down 3 hours this year #I was ambitious and I should be 20 yds from the front. It will be like 02.50.00 or something like that........
    Yeah, I put down 2:48 so we should be in the same pen.

Yeah, I put down 2:48 so we should be in the same pen.
    Ran two negative splits in berlin. Hopefully a 3rd one coming up.
    No excuses for me this time. Plan to buy all the wheat free products beofre i go.
    Hows the weight going ?

Well I was back up to 12 stone after the holidays, but think I've lost the holiday weight since then. 55 miles in 5 days with no beer, and little sugar beyond fruit. How about yerself? Getting any nearer to where you want to be?

Looks like I'll have someone to chat to at the start...I noticed on the info that I received the other week that I put down 2:49 as my projected time! :eek: I think my thought process back then was that I might have gone sub-3 in London, and with that monkey off my back thrown caution to the wind for a shot at low-2:50s. However will be a bit more cautious than that with pacing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Everyones injury is different, but I found that my recent achilles problem (which stopped me running for a while) was really aggravated by either intervals or sprinting. Had to give up intervals (heartbroken ;)) and football (actually heartbroken :mad:) before the marathon.

They got better, but I did one 3 x 1 mile session (the last one in P&D) the week before the race and they flared up again briefly. Might be an idea to swtich an interval for a tempo session now and then? I found I could do tempos on them no problem.

Eccentric excercises, ice and voltarol were the other things that got me better.

Hope they clear up for you!

Advertisement