Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

They got better, but I did one 3 x 1 mile session (the last one in P&D) the week before the race and they flared up again briefly. Might be an idea to swtich an interval for a tempo session now and then? I found I could do tempos on them no problem.
    Eccentric excercises, ice and voltarol were the other things that got me better.
    Thanks for the advice. Thankfully I only have two more interval sessions to go: 8x600 and 3x1mile, neither of which should be quite as bad as the 6x1k (at least in my mind!). I think most of the damage is from running very hilly runs in Spain on very hard surfaces (even their tarmac roads are mostly concrete, to stop them melting away in the heat). The shin pain is from 52 miles in 5 days without a rest day. So I'll force myself to take a rest day this evening, foregoing the opportunity to top my highest ever weekly mileage. Hopefully there will be lots of other opportunities!

I'm sitting in work with my sexy compression socks on, feeling very much like a closet transvestite. :o

Peckham wrote: »
    I noticed on the info that I received the other week that I put down 2:49 as my projected time! :eek:
    So we have Krusty on 2:48, Peckham on 2:49 and VR on 2:50. Let's all run together for the first 26 miles, then if you guys wouldn't mind just dropping off the pace slightly for the last 385 yards, that would be much appreciated. :)

Do you have your support crew coming over this year VR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I'm sitting in work with my sexy compression socks on, feeling very much like a closet transvestite. :o
    Clasic , i've been doing the same for the past couple of week.. if people knew all you need is compression suspenders are your sorted.

shels4ever wrote: »
    Clasic , i've been doing the same for the past couple of week.. if people knew all you need is compression suspenders are your sorted.
    If only I could get some compression high-heels to fit inside my work shoes. *cough* entirely for arch-support, it goes without saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

So we have Krusty on 2:48, Peckham on 2:49 and VR on 2:50. Let's all run together for the first 26 miles, then if you guys wouldn't mind just dropping off the pace slightly for the last 385 yards, that would be much appreciated. :)

I think I'll be dropping off your pace in the first 385 yards!

• Advertisement

That's not fighting talk. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If you can get someone familiar to run with the miles will fly by.
    Besides my 2 toilet breaks and catching back up with the group i ran the rest side by side with gringo,chatting all the way about all sorts...
    At one stage i asked him did we pass 22 yet,we were just about to go through 23 at that stage...i just kept clipping along
    TNO was up next to Mick Rice for 20m and then came back to us.

Oh yeah...Gringo sneaked off on me at m24...i was looking around for him,he was about 100 metres up the road.

Sosa wrote: »
    If you can get someone familiar to run with the miles will fly by.
    Besides my 2 toilet breaks and catching back up with the group i ran the rest side by side with gringo,chatting all the way about all sorts...
    At one stage i asked him did we pass 22 yet,we were just about to go through 23 at that stage...i just kept clipping along
    TNO was up next to Mick Rice for 20m and then came back to us.

Oh yeah...Gringo sneaked off on me at m24...i was looking around for him,he was about 100 metres up the road.
    In Berlin last year I had Mithril for around 30 seconds and later had Rusty Cogs for quite a few miles, which helped make the time go by, but as the weather (heat) picked up, we each retracted into our own personal struggles. But it was good to have the company. Otherwise, Berlin is also has a large number of very focussed individuals (read: dickheads) who will shout at you at the water-stations if you happen to be in their path (even though they may be in the wrong).

In Barcelona I knew nobody, but in that race there was just a good team-work vibe with all of the other runners, regardless of language and nationality. Without talking, you established a temporary bond with the runners you just happened to be running with. There was a feeling that you were racing the clock, rather than racing those around you, which is entirely my running philosophy. I have never been one to race against other people. I feel guilty about passing people I know and try to joke about it. This is why I could never be a competitive runner (if I had the capability). The only person I like to beat is myself. There's a large part of me wishes I was heading to Barcelona in three weeks instead of Berlin!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,526 ✭✭✭Peckham

That's not fighting talk. :)

No, it's realistic talk. Peckham deciding that he's enjoying Krusty's company and that the 6:20ish pace seems comfortable equals Peckham feeling the pain at mile 18 and starting to go backwards, and another failed sub-3 attempt!
    Otherwise, Berlin is also has a large number of very focussed individuals (read: dickheads) who will shout at you at the water-stations if you happen to be in their path (even though they may be in the wrong).

Or you have the opposite extreme of London which has total nutjobs who you regret starting a conversation with. Like the guy who I started talking to at mile 8 as he was getting lots of people shouting his name (he was one of the few people at the sub-3 part of the field with their name on their front). I joked with him about his popularity, to which he responded...."I'm not running a marathon, I'm on stage in Glastonbury. You guys are my backing group, and these people along the side of the road are my fans. It's my greatest hits tour and they're all loving it" ....Needless to say I moved to the other side of the road shortly afterwards, but he was running at my pace and I heard further references to his "Glastonbury" experience every couple of miles.

Lol. Classic! Must remember that when pacing in DCM. Will be the most annoying pacer evah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Gents ye fight it out and as im hoping for 3.10 ( weather permitting ) i'l watch ur backs :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

In Berlin last year I had Mithril for around 30 seconds and later had Rusty Cogs for quite a few miles, which helped make the time go by, but as the weather (heat) picked up, we each retracted into our own personal struggles. But it was good to have the company. Otherwise, Berlin is also has a large number of very focussed individuals (read: dickheads) who will shout at you at the water-stations if you happen to be in their path (even though they may be in the wrong).

In Barcelona I knew nobody, but in that race there was just a good team-work vibe with all of the other runners, regardless of language and nationality. Without talking, you established a temporary bond with the runners you just happened to be running with. There was a feeling that you were racing the clock, rather than racing those around you, which is entirely my running philosophy. I have never been one to race against other people. I feel guilty about passing people I know and try to joke about it. This is why I could never be a competitive runner (if I had the capability). The only person I like to beat is myself. There's a large part of me wishes I was heading to Barcelona in three weeks instead of Berlin!

I lived in Berlin for 2 years. They shout at you in the supermarkets, they shout at you in the cinema. They just shout at you.

liamo123 wrote: »
    Gents ye fight it out and as im hoping for 3.10 ( weather permitting ) i'l watch ur backs :o
    Keep us covered, and pick us up along the way, if you spy us in the gutter. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

No, it's realistic talk. Peckham deciding that he's enjoying Krusty's company and that the 6:20ish pace seems comfortable equals Peckham feeling the pain at mile 18 and starting to go backwards, and another failed sub-3 attempt!

Or you have the opposite extreme of London which has total nutjobs who you regret starting a conversation with. Like the guy who I started talking to at mile 8 as he was getting lots of people shouting his name (he was one of the few people at the sub-3 part of the field with their name on their front). I joked with him about his popularity, to which he responded...."I'm not running a marathon, I'm on stage in Glastonbury. You guys are my backing group, and these people along the side of the road are my fans. It's my greatest hits tour and they're all loving it" ....Needless to say I moved to the other side of the road shortly afterwards, but he was running at my pace and I heard further references to his "Glastonbury" experience every couple of miles.

Should have given him the Dublin guns and roses treatment and thrown a bottle of pee at him.

And as for krusty feeling guilty passing out people in a race?????? Eh Wicklow bleeding way relay. Ye didn't look too guilty to me.

And as for krusty feeling guilty passing out people in a race?????? Eh Wicklow bleeding way relay. Ye didn't look too guilty to me.
    That was different. That was for the crest. :)

Tonight: Is the Clown finally getting some wisdom?
    On the way home, I was thinking - screw it, I'll go for a very slow run, the achilles and shin will be fine. They might even benefit from a run. Mentally, I was already wearing the running gear and heading out the door. But something clicked and I changed my mind, and hopped on the bike instead for a relaxing 10 miles around the local hills, catching the last of the sun falling behind the mountains. Is this a turning point? A new cleverer Krusty? Let's hope so. I had forgotten how my ankles, joints, achilles etc usually feel better after a cycle, so it's something I need to do more often, even if only for 40 minutes.

Summary: 10 miles in 40 mins, @24 km/hr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

welldone KC , good self control ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Good man. My right shin is feeling well dodgy as well. I've decided to take tomorrow off. If I do end up running I deserve to get injured last time I ran when feeling like this I was out for 4 months. A day versus a month, hmm no competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

;) - Bump!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=67827200&postcount=10
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Looks like you are straight back into the training with 7min per mile easy runs - I love it.
    Any room for variation in the schedule there will be a 5k in Shanganagh on Sept 8th.
    Go on you know you want to!
    4849146118_c1fe3a534e_o.jpg

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    S'funny, the better half was just asking me about that. I actually have a 10k race on Saturday morning, so will probably give this a miss. But if any volunteers are needed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

If you're free make yourself known to Sean Clifford - or take a few pix.

Fit for Life - Wed Sept 8th, 7.00 pm
    Bernard and I have re-marked the 5K course in white paint (adjusted slightly to get the finish out of the woods). Hopefully we can have a big turnout for this. Anybody not racing will hopefully help with stewarding.

Today: 7 Mile recovery run
    Stuck religiously to the flat grass of the park, so the achilles and shin didn't hamper me too much. Still felt very tired in the middle of this run, which is unusual, given yesterday's semi-rest day.

I'm thinking tomorrow's 22 mile LSR will also have be conducted on the grass, which sends huge shivers down my spine. The idea of doing this distance in Shangannagh Park (which is a great running park, but I already spend way too much time in there) really gives me the heebie jeebies. So might drive into Pheonix Park tomorrow, and run the 1/2 marathon route, and then throw on an extra 9 miles. If anyone's up for a run tomorrow, give me a holler.

Summary: 7 miles in 55 mins, @7:50/mile, HR=134

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

I wont be near that time if i am honest krusty. Stomach hasnt help the fast sessions. I would bite your hand off for a 2.54 HERE AND NOW. I do have people going over. Ideal. I will be handed a bag at 22k with a bottle of water/powerade, packet of ride shots and two gels. I will use elastic band to put on the gels and a bar. At 36k i will get another powerade that i may gurgle or drink half of it. I will keep me going fro 30k. I remember throwing away 3-4 gels last year to make me lighter in the last 3k. If you run 2.48 you will be nearly showered by the time ~i finish. Depends on losing the ibs for me. If i can I could get lower. But nowhere near 2.48.

I read that the sports drink this year is PowerBar, which isn't too bad (used to drink it when I started running). Much better than last year's muck which I avoided like the plague. Nice to have the drop-off points. Hope the crew do a bit of cheer-leading too!

Today: 22 Mile LSR in Phoenix Park
    Heading into Phoenix park was the perfect option, given the niggles. Had a really enjoyable run (good surroundings, good company), and didn't notice the 2:46 going by. Nice to get a long run of approximately the duration I hope to be on my feet in Berlin in three weeks time.

Met up with D'pop, and we set off at an easy pace with the plan of following the half marathon route. Our navigation skills deserted us completely, as even with map in hand (mine was only B&W, but his was colour, so he had absolutely no excuse) we followed the wrong route on most occasions. Too busy talking. No matter, following the route was only an intended distraction. After about 10 miles we picked up the pace a little and moved off the road onto the trails, which were fab. Great to move from trail to trail, using the monuments to figure out where the hell you were. Briefly met Stupid Private and theRoadRunner looking extremely fast as they passed in the other direction (glad I missed out on that run!) and then bumped into aero2k briefly too (you should have joined us!).

Hitting 19 miles as D'pop was doing 20, I left him for a bit, and picked up the pace a little (cos the race only starts at 20 miles), before an easy warm-down mile.

Despite the niggles, I managed to top my highest ever ever weekly mileage, at a rather uninspiring 63 miles. Reading about Steve Way's 153 mile weeks, really puts hard work into perspective! Maybe for the next marathon.

It's now taper time (kind of). The 12 week program officially includes a two week taper, though the mileage definitely drops, so hopefully the drop in mileage will help improve the niggles. I find that the P&D taper can be just as hard as the peak weeks, with a medium long run the day after a 10k, long intervals (3x1 Mile @5k pace), so still lots to look forward to!

Summary: 22 miles in 2:46, @7:30/mile, HR=135

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

I think we were going faster than usual because I wanted to get home before TheRoadRunner decided to go topless again!

Psst... 63 miles is savage mileage.

I think we were going faster than usual because I wanted to get home before TheRoadRunner decided to go topless again!
    You mean we missed some topless action?
    This day just keeps getting better. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

You mean we missed some topless action?
    This day just keeps getting better. :)

Thankfully he kept everything undercover today. I'm still scarred from last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Summary: 22 miles in 2:46, @7:30/mile, HR=135

Great run today. I looked up your mile 21 time. 6:11:eek: Glad I missed that one!

• Advertisement

Great run today. I looked up your mile 21 time. 6:11:eek: Glad I missed that one!
    It was all downhill, with the wind behind me (and i was worried you might try and steal my car). ;)

Advertisement