Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

and then bumped into aero2k briefly too (you should have joined us!).
    Sorry Krusty,

Missed your post yesterday or I might have been tempted. When I met you I was heading for mile 10 I think (I had warmed up for a bit before getting on the route) and given that I was going in the right direction I decided not to turn around!

Went over 15 miles for the first time since May 23rd - no 6:11 miles for me though!

Does taper start now?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Was that the 1/2 Marathon route you were doing? Maybe we should have followed you! Yeah, it's kind of taper, but only a handful of miles less than the week just gone by. 10k is the main goal for the week (Saturday). Hopefully take some time off my PB, but given that my last pb was after 10k-specific training (albeit in a bad choice of footwear) it wont be easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Thankfully he kept everything undercover today. I'm still scarred from last week.

Yeah right. He had his camera with him today in case I unleashed the guns again. I bought some body glide yesterday to SPs disappointment. He seemed mildly turned on by my description of my lubrication. Note to self avoid the Glen with SP in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Was that the 1/2 Marathon route you were doing? Maybe we should have followed you! Yeah, it's kind of taper, but only a handful of miles less than the week just gone by. 10k is the main goal for the week (Saturday). Hopefully take some time off my PB, but given that my last pb was after 10k-specific training (albeit in a bad choice of footwear) it wont be easy.

Whats the 10k target time Krusty ?
    I have one next Sunday also,gonna try nick under 36 mins.
    the course is not ideal but it basically my usual 6m route that i have ran hundreds of times so that should help.
    Training is poor for me at the minute but i will give it a lash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

great 22 miler krusty. a nice 'confidence run' i'm sure.

• Advertisement

Sosa wrote: »
    Whats the 10k target time Krusty ?
    I have one next Sunday also,gonna try nick under 36 mins.
    the course is not ideal but it basically my usual 6m route that i have ran hundreds of times so that should help.
    Training is poor for me at the minute but i will give it a lash.
    Hey Sosa, would love to target 35:xx, but don't feel that I'm quite there yet. Hitting that time would be one of my running goals, but all of my recent fast stuff has been at 5:30/mile, which I reckon is a bit too close to the pace I would need for a 35:x. Might hang on until I'm doing my intervals at closer to 5:10/mile, before trying to hit the magic 35 min 10k and just aim for a lower 36:xx for the time being. I reckon my 10k pb is a little soft, because of the weather, hills and shoe choice (!) in my last race, so should be a good for a PB, if things go alright on the night.

great 22 miler krusty. a nice 'confidence run' i'm sure.
    thanks ManfromAtlantis. the last 22 miler I did (before my Barcelona marathon) was a lot quicker, but yesterday was about getting the run done, enjoying the run, and not making my achilles or shins any more worse, so job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Yeah, I almost forgot Sunday was my last chance before the 18th to run the actual course. I'm pretty familiar with most sections other than the bit beside the playing fields on Acres road (mile 9/10 I think) but I wanted to run it all in one go just for "feel". I'm not following a strict written program at the moment as I've taken on something which involves big chunks of time and I need to fit the running in around it.
    Which 10k are you doing - I'm guessing Firhouse or Adamstown. You'll have no problem getting a new PB (in the right foorwear!) in either based on your recent training and your Frank Duffy performance.
    I'm in for Adamstown - off to the workshop now to get working on a raft!

aero2k wrote: »
    I'm in for Adamstown - off to the workshop now to get working on a raft!
    Still not sure which one to do. The BHAA race is on in the morning, which might suit the family better (Saturdays tend to be very hectic with lots of different sporting activities to be supported!), but they're both great value for money at €15. Looking at the piccies, Adamstown might be flatter, and doesn't seem to be two laps, they both have chip timing, both take entries on the day. Such a shame they're both on the same day!

Shower this morning, then got soaked on the way to work, soaked on the way home from work, one hour swim, another shower, 5 mile run in the rain, then another shower. Would have been easier to stay wet than keep drying off.

Nice easy recovery swim, with a few lengths, followed by a perfect recovery run, despite the rain, and the need for a head-torch. Today was supposed to be a rest day, but I have physio tomorrow evening, and an interval session to try and get through in the morning, so didn't want to be hitting 5:30 pace without getting a recovery run in first. Still, some top-notch recovery that has removed any physical memory of yesterday's 22 miles.

Summary: 5 miles in 41 mins @8:16/mile, HR=135

• Advertisement

Today: 6 miles including 5x600m @5k pace
    The words Krusty, Garmin and disaster seem to be occurring in a single sentence, more and more often these days. This time, the watch was blameless and the failures were down to human stupidity. I'm not an early morning runner, so didn't know how the body would cope, but wasn't expecting the brain to be the point of failure. Set up an advanced program last night, as I wanted to get the intervals done this morning, with the physio looming this evening and then before hitting the bed ate a healthy Krusty flap-jack to keep the morning's hunger at bay.

Headed out for the 2.5 mile warm-up, and then started into the intervals, not feeling too bad. Blazed into the first interval way too fast (pace was showing around 5:05/mile for a target 5:30/mile) and spent the rest of the interval puffing and panting. Heading into the second one, I thought I had set up the watch incorrectly, so stopped mid-interval to look at it. Nope, all-ok, then tried to catch up on my lost time, finishing the interval at an average pace of 5:40. The next interval I realized that I had in fact set up the watch incorrectly, and was supposed to be warming down. Then I set up manual intervals for the remaining two reps. Halfway through the fourth interval, I realized I had screwed this up too. On the fifth interval, I said fup it, and decided to run very fast for what felt like 600m. So if there's a lesson to learned from all of this, it's: disregard any advice I might have to offer on the Garmin thread. It's all nonsense.

Glad to have gotten the session done with all the reps at approximately the right pace and duration, and a few miles of credit in the bag for the week too. What will I do this evening with no running? Maybe read the Garmin manual... again...

Summary: 6 miles, inc 5x600m @5:30/mile (approx!).

Still not sure which one to do. The BHAA race is on in the morning, which might suit the family better (Saturdays tend to be very hectic with lots of different sporting activities to be supported!), but they're both great value for money at €15. Looking at the piccies, Adamstown might be flatter, and doesn't seem to be two laps, they both have chip timing, both take entries on the day. Such a shame they're both on the same day!

I'm having the exact same dilemna. The 2 laps in Firhouse is putting me off and there is a drag that has to be negotiated twice. However the 11am start is perfect. These 10k races are like Dublin bus !

I'm having the exact same dilemna. The 2 laps in Firhouse is putting me off and there is a drag that has to be negotiated twice. However the 11am start is perfect. These 10k races are like Dublin bus !
    It's a shame as they look (on paper) like two solid races, and if they were a couple of weeks apart, you could have two bites of the cherry. I shouldn't complain though, as for the last two marathons there wasn't any 10k race to match the schedule. What'll this be - pb number 8?!

What'll this be - pb number 8?!

No it will be number 4 (fingers crossed) in the drive for 5. The greatest teams in GAA history may have fallen by the wayside in their drives but I won't :)

It's a pity the Irish runner 5 was short or this could have been number 5. I had visions of myself taking to a stage and giving a GAA victory style speech to all runners.

No it will be number 4 (fingers crossed) in the drive for 5. The greatest teams in GAA history may have fallen by the wayside in their drives but I won't :)

It's a pity the Irish runner 5 was short or this could have been number 5. I had visions of myself taking to a stage and giving a GAA victory style speech to all runners.
    So what will the 5th race be? When will you bring Liam MacCarthy home? With brisk 15 milers in Phoenix Park, you wouldn't be far off the distance for a certain race starting at 9am on the 25th October. :)

So what will the 5th race be? When will you bring Liam MacCarthy home?

Maybe Rathfarnham 5k but holidays will probably feck my historic bid.
    With brisk 15 milers in Phoenix Park, you wouldn't be far off the distance for a certain race starting at 9am on the 25th October. :)

No way, next time I do a marathon (Berlin 2011) there will be no shaving minutes off the PB. The aim is to take a massive chunk (the equivalent of 2 miles running) off it. Just need to keep building my speed baby.

No way, next time I do a marathon (Berlin 2011) there will be no shaving minutes off the PB. The aim is to take a massive chunk (the equivalent of 2 miles running) off it. Just need to keep building my speed baby.
    Two miles at your pace isn't all that much time. Now two miles at my pace. That'd be something! :)

Two miles at your pace isn't all that much time. Now two miles at my pace. That'd be something! :)

Our marathon PBs aren't that far apart and if you hit your time in Berlin you could go faster than mine. If you do I'll put it down to the very fast Berlin course ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Krusty,

Just wondering how you got on with the physio? Are the achilles sore in the morning or when you run up the stairs or just when you exercise?

Did he/she recommend ways of managing it?

Thankfully my own achilles is okay at present but its a constant battle with it so always interested to hear what others do to help.

Hi Kenny, my physio's not big on the advice or the introspection. He prefers to just bring on the pain. They're sore in the morning, going up the stairs, running and swimming. But not cycling. :)

Actually, they've been getting a lot better over the last few days, with my determination to stay off hard paths and roads, so i'll persist with this strategy.

• Advertisement

Today: 6 mile steady state run
    Had to surrender my 12 mile run to a parent teacher meeting, so just did a easy/steady 6 miles in Shangannagh Park, while trying to watch the Bray Runners/Fit4Life 5k race taking place. I was trying out my latest gear for the Half marathon (singlet/shorts) and was wearing my racing shoes (Mizuno Precision), so all I was missing was €5 and I could have done the race. There were some solid runners, but I reckon I would've been well up the field, so a missed opportunity, but eyes on the prize. 12 Miles tomorrow instead.

Summary: 6 miles in 44 minutes, @7:23/mile, HR=143

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Booked my flights tO barcelona tonight.

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Booked my flights tO barcelona tonight.
    Lucky you! Keep me a seat on the plane. Just in case.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Lucky you! Keep me a seat on the plane. Just in case.. :)

Will do:D

Today: 12.5 mile hilly run
    This is the run I was supposed to do yesterday. I just couldn't face another jaunt around the local parks, so headed for the hills, and really enjoyed the run over the trails, before darkness descended. Hadn't brought any HiViz gear (dúmass-clown) so had to change return routes to slightly safer (quieter roads). The Marathon Talk guys served me well. Hope it wont impact Saturday's run, but sure we'll wait and see. It was worth it.

Summary: 12.5 miles in 1:33, @7:24, HR=146

A new PB, but not quite the one I had hoped to achieve (around 27 seconds). I don't think I've ever been so aloof about recording a PB, but there ya go. I think the gains at this distance will have to come from 10k specific training in future, rather than marathon training.

I left beautiful, sunny, warm and dry Shankill to arrive into a pissing wet, cold and miserable Firhouse (only 15kms up the M50). So, soaked and cold before the race started. Paid my €15, and got dressed for the race. Met up with theRoadRunner who seemed well up for the challenge, and did a warm-up of around 2kms. Met up with some other posters and had a good chat while we were waiting for the race to start. Heading to the race start, the clouds burst again, but thankfully were weren't long waiting for the race to begin.

I started well, with an on target 5:39 mile, but it was a gentle down-hill, with a decent climb around the corner, so I wasn't busting a gut. Mile 2 was a tough drag into the wind (0.7 of a mile uphill), So with all the work still to be done in the race, I took it handy enough, and completed the mile in 6:10. Tried to pick up the pace in mile 3 which had some gentle ups and downs, and managed to get some of my time back (5:47).

Mile 4 marked the second lap of the course, and a slight downhill again, so a slightly quicker 5:41, before heading up that drag again, into the wind. I managed to take some brief shelter behind a couple of runners before pushing on past them, but there was no-one willing to stick with me, so it was just a case of take a break, and push on. Finished this very tough mile in 6:06, so slightly quicker than my first loop, which is a positive sign. With a mile and change to go, I picked up the pace a little completing this mile in 5:39, and then really struggled to the finish line for the last quarter of a mile (though my pace of 5:27/mile doesn't suggest I was working hard, I hit a HR of 190). The clock took a disappointingly long time to arrive and I was a little underwhelmed to finish in around 36:31'ish.

I had set out with having a pop at a sub 36, or at least getting into the low 36'es, but I just didn't have it on the day. I think I could have worked harder earlier in the race, particularly on the down-hills, and I didn't feel that my overall effort was nearly as much as I put into the Dunshaughlin 10k in June, which was every bit as tough a circuit (albeit without the wind). Finished up with around a 2k warm-down, to hopefully alleviate some of the pain from tomorrow's long run. :(

So, not the worst result in the world (*cough* 14th PB in a row *cough*) but still a lot of work to do, to get into the sub 36 range. Perhaps my next target after Berlin is over? I can't help but think I would've run faster in Adamstown this afternoon, but that's loser talk. You play the cards you're dealt. Nice to meet some new faces afterwards, and congrats to those who managed PBs in a tough race today.

Race summary: 10k in 36:31, @5:50/mile, HR=168

Day summary: 9.66 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

A new PB, but not quite the one I had hoped to achieve (around 27 seconds). I don't think I've ever been so aloof about recording a PB, but there ya go. I think the gains at this distance will have to come from 10k specific training in future, rather than marathon training.

I left beautiful, sunny, warm and dry Shankill to arrive into a pissing wet, cold and miserable Firhouse (only 15kms up the M50). So, soaked and cold before the race started. Paid my €15, and got dressed for the race. Met up with theRoadRunner who seemed well up for the challenge, and did a warm-up of around 2kms. Met up with some other posters and had a good chat while we were waiting for the race to start. Heading to the race start, the clouds burst again, but thankfully were weren't long waiting for the race to begin.

I started well, with an on target 5:39 mile, but it was a gentle down-hill, with a decent climb around the corner, so I wasn't busting a gut. Mile 2 was a tough drag into the wind (0.7 of a mile uphill), So with all the work still to be done in the race, I took it handy enough, and completed the mile in 6:10. Tried to pick up the pace in mile 3 which had some gentle ups and downs, and managed to get some of my time back (5:47).

Mile 4 marked the second lap of the course, and a slight downhill again, so a slightly quicker 5:41, before heading up that drag again, into the wind. I managed to take some brief shelter behind a couple of runners before pushing on past them, but there was no-one willing to stick with me, so it was just a case of take a break, and push on. Finished this very tough mile in 6:06, so slightly quicker than my first loop, which is a positive sign. With a mile and change to go, I picked up the pace a little completing this mile in 5:39, and then really struggled to the finish line for the last quarter of a mile (though my pace of 5:27/mile doesn't suggest I was working hard, I hit a HR of 190). The clock took a disappointingly long time to arrive and I was a little underwhelmed to finish in around 36:31'ish.

I had set out with having a pop at a sub 36, or at least getting into the low 36'es, but I just didn't have it on the day. I think I could have worked harder earlier in the race, particularly on the down-hills, and I didn't feel that my overall effort was nearly as much as I put into the Dunshaughlin 10k in June, which was every bit as tough a circuit (albeit without the wind). Finished up with around a 2k warm-down, to hopefully alleviate some of the pain from tomorrow's long run. :(

So, not the worst result in the world (*cough* 14th PB in a row *cough*) but still a lot of work to do, to get into the sub 36 range. Perhaps my next target after Berlin is over? I can't help but think I would've run faster in Adamstown this afternoon, but that's loser talk. You play the cards you're dealt. Nice to meet some new faces afterwards, and congrats to those who managed PBs in a tough race today.

Race summary: 10k in 36:31, @5:50/mile, HR=168

Day summary: 9.66 miles.

So that was you breezing by me in the 3rd mile fair play you looked strong. Fair play on the PB also your definitely in sub 36 shape without a doubt on a windless day was talking to Tunguska and a good few of the other runners who did it last year who said there were about 1 min - 90 sec s of last years time so that will tell you the difference the wind made.

Roll on the pace making duties next week and hopefully a windless day there:D

ecoli wrote: »
    So that was you breezing by me in the 3rd mile fair play you looked strong. Fair play on the PB also your definitely in sub 36 shape without a doubt on a windless day was talking to Tunguska and a good few of the other runners who did it last year who said there were about 1 min - 90 sec s of last years time so that will tell you the difference the wind made.
    Would that have been on the uphill drag? Apologies if I used you and abused you. :o I jumped in behind a few runners on that climb, and tried to share the burden, but most weren't interested and dropped off the pace. I'll be hiding in behind you in Phoenix park if it's a windy day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Would that have been on the uphill drag? Apologies if I used you and abused you. :o I jumped in behind a few runners on that climb, and tried to share the burden, but most weren't interested and dropped off the pace. I'll be hiding in behind you in Phoenix park if it's a windy day!

No it was coming around near scholars pub after the wind i was in no mans land for the wind unfortunately:(

ill take the wind you can take the hills how about that:D

• Advertisement

ecoli wrote: »
    No it was coming around near scholars pub after the wind i was in no mans land for the wind unfortunately:(

ill take the wind you can take the hills how about that:D

Dealio!

Advertisement