Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

14 PB's in a row, very nice, the 36min mark will come, i've no doubt !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

tisnotover wrote: »
    14 PB's in a row, very nice, the 36min mark will come, i've no doubt !
    Thanks. I don't really pay any attention. It was just theRoadRunner's fascination with such things that made me go back and have a look and with performances like today's you have to fish for the smallest of victories! I've run two races where I didn't record a PB: the 10k port tunnel race in 2006, and the Wexford Half marathon, where I had to walk to the finish line because of a calf injury. Long may it last.... Puhlease!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done on the PB Krusty,i will be having a cut off sub 36 myself tomorrow...its not easy.

Sosa wrote: »
    Well done on the PB Krusty,i will be having a cut off sub 36 myself tomorrow...its not easy.
    Good man.. Give it toast. Just run 5 seconds per mile faster than I did! I hope you'll fly it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Well done KC. If I was there I'd have pointed you in the direction of my PB chasing mate Ian who I think you could have stayed with. He was just ahead of you in the results dipping under 36.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Great run krusty, good stuff with a pb in that wind. nice to meet you after.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

a pb is a pb...........Berlin is the one. Your whole year since connemara has been around it. Getting a pb is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

That's some time mate, well done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Congrats on the pb. Only legends could run a pb with wind like that today :) felt like an ass I didn't ask your time at the finish but when the lads told me later over tea and bickies I had an idea you had run a pb. Number 14???? Is that consecutive PBS ????

Congrats on the pb. Only legends could run a pb with wind like that today :) felt like an ass I didn't ask your time at the finish but when the lads told me later over tea and bickies I had an idea you had run a pb. Number 14???? Is that consecutive PBS ????
    Cheers. Yeah, I've yet to have a go backwards race since that Port Tunnel in '06 (53 mins, previous was 52 mins!). Hopefully the inevitable won't be this year. :) I still have a soft half marathon time and 5K, in reserve. Enjoy the hols.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

So, not the worst result in the world (*cough* 14th PB in a row *cough*)

will ya let let me know what you're taking for that cough of yours.........

well done.

will ya let let me know what you're taking for that cough of yours.........
    A potent mix of turtle blood, shark's fetuses, powdered horn of rhino and giant panda placenta. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Great time yesterday considering the conditions... A tough 10k like that will stand to u

liamo123 wrote: »
    Great time yesterday considering the conditions... A tough 10k like that will stand to u
    Cheers Liamo. Somehow we managed not to meet yesterday, despite the fact that I met most of the other boards guys! I'm sure I'll bump into you in Berlin anyway. How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

delighted 40.08pb but was shattered after it.. Hills and wind killed me!!

Today: 17 Mile quickish medium long run
    The benefits of having a solid plan before heading out out on a long run aren't always obvious, but they can really make the difference between a bad long run, and a long run that ticks all the boxes.

Set off with an easy uphill 4 miles, where the pace didn't suggest a tough 10k yesterday, then picked up slightly, for three miles at 7 min/mile. Stopped for a quick bottle of water (no gels as I was running this one lean), and then I did 6 miles at around 6:50, to appease the pacing gods, for next week's adidas race series half marathon pacing duties. Picked it up for the next two miles to just slower than marathon pace (6:30/mile), before dropping it back for the last two miles to 7:16/mile.

A solid run after a tough race yesterday, so happy enough with the results.
    Summary: 17 miles in 2 hours, @7:03/mile

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

... and then I did 6 miles at around 6:50, to appease the pacing gods, for next week's adidas race series half marathon pacing duties. ...

Verily Krusty, I am appeased, and hath informed St. Pete to allow egress of thine kin and ken, to my kingdom. Password is "Yo, Muthafackaaah!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Wow - cracking 10k time.

14 PBs in a row ? That's incredible consistancy. Never an off day...and still on upward curve. You must have some senase when you finish training sessions that you've made a "breakthrough" ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Wow - cracking 10k time.

14 PBs in a row ? That's incredible consistancy. Never an off day...and still on upward curve. You must have some senase when you finish training sessions that you've made a "breakthrough" ?

Actually, I had a think back on it, and there was a half/marathon in Phoenix Park in 2008 where I had a bit of a blow-up. Still to this day I have no idea what happened. So the actual figure is 13 PBs in a row (not including pacing duties, or IMRA races (which are all PBs too!). A pretty meaningless statistic though. It just means that when I fall, I'll fall hard. :)

Yesterday: Easy swim, Lengths felt a lot more comfortable than they have in the past, so I may have made a mini-breakthrough.

• Advertisement

Today: 8 miles with 10x100m strides
    Body felt stiff and tired from the weekend's exertions, but as the run progressed, I loosened up and was running normally. A little worried that I might have to do a four or five mile warm-up before the marathon on Sunday week. Even running up a gentle incline into a strong head-wind was enjoyable enough, without any time pressures for a change with a pleasant sun-set to watch over the Dublin mountains. The strides felt really good - it almost feels more comfortable running fast these days. A few aches and pains in my foot, but hopefully the additional rest days will help. Oh wait, there are no rest days..

Summary: 8 miles in 60 mins, @7:20/mile, HR=142

Today: 8 miles with 10x100m strides
    Body felt stiff and tired from the weekend's exertions, but as the run progressed, I loosened up and was running normally. A little worried that I might have to do a four or five mile warm-up before the marathon on Sunday week. Even running up a gentle incline into a strong head-wind was enjoyable enough, without any time pressures for a change with a pleasant sun-set to watch over the Dublin mountains. The strides felt really good - it almost feels more comfortable running fast these days. A few aches and pains in my foot, but hopefully the additional rest days will help. Oh wait, there are no rest days..

Summary: 8 miles in 60 mins, @7:20/mile, HR=132

What pace per km have you in mind ??
    Fair low hr for that speed.

What pace per km have you in mind ??
    Fair low hr for that speed.
    Same as day 1 : 6:20 - 6:25/mile (that's 3:56-3:59/km in new money!).
    Sorry, HR was a typo. It was 142 (after ripping out the anomolies).

Same as day 1 : 6:20 - 6:25/mile (that's 3:56-3:59/km in new money!).
    Sorry, HR was a typo. It was 142 (after ripping out the anomolies).
    I may as well shake your hand at hte start cos I aint going to see you after 2k......Its looking like 4.07 odd for me at best. Thats the plan. see how it goes. Pacing 3.15 depends on a 2.55 so that will do me. Havent shifted any pounds so cant expect miracles.
    I put your number on my phone so i will have a result when I get back to my phone.
    Looking forward to your negative split.

I may as well shake your hand at hte start cos I aint going to see you after 2k......Its looking like 4.07 odd for me at best. Thats the plan. see how it goes. Pacing 3.15 depends on a 2.55 so that will do me. Havent shifted any pounds so cant expect miracles.
    I put your number on my phone so i will have a result when I get back to my phone.
    Looking forward to your negative split.
    I haven't shifted much weight either myself, so I hope it's not critical to my success! Sure I'll see you outside for a beer afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Sure I'll see you outside for a beer afterwards.

sure you might as well grab two while you are at it:D. There will no queues at at the free beer area when you finish.

Congrats on the 13th PB in a row there on Sat. That must be some kind of record??

Abhainn wrote: »
    sure you might as well grab two while you are at it:D. There will no queues at at the free beer area when you finish.

Congrats on the 13th PB in a row there on Sat. That must be some kind of record??
    Best thing about Berlin marathon? There's a massive party going on just outside the main marathon area. Fast food stands all with an array of fantastic German beers on draught. Big screens to look out for your friends and family and 42,000 other runners to regale with boring tales of your marathon exploits! Can't wait.

*Cough* I've revised that number downwards again to 8 PBs in a row, as I had to pull up during the Wexford half marathon, due to a calf injury. I feel like a fraud. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Best thing about Berlin marathon? There's a massive party going on just outside the main marathon area. Fast food stands all with an array of fantastic German beers on draught. Big screens to look out for your friends and family and 42,000 other runners to regale with boring tales of your marathon exploits! Can't wait.

*Cough* I've revised that number downwards again to 8 PBs in a row, as I had to pull up during the Wexford half marathon, due to a calf injury. I feel like a fraud. :rolleyes:

ahh a DNF due to injury doesnt count. We can still believe in 13.

However, to rain on your parade - ive got a PB in every race ive ran so far stretching over 3 years back. The secret is not to have good PBs ;)

ahh a DNF due to injury doesnt count. We can still believe in 13.

However, to rain on your parade - ive got a PB in every race ive ran so far stretching over 3 years back. The secret is not to have good PBs ;)
    Nice one! Like myself, the ol' slow down before you reach the finish line strategy. I actually could've gone sub-3 in '08, I just didn't want to ruin my subsequent string of PBs. :)

I did finish though. I walked to the finish line. 2 hours and 18 minutes that half marathon took me! String of PBs out the window!

• Advertisement

Today: 8 miles with 3 x 1,600m @5K Pace
    Ran this session a day early to afford me more recovery for my half marathon pacing duties on Saturday. This is the session I've been dreading since I started this program back in June. For me it has become the real make or break session. It is my version of Bart Yasso's 800s. If I can run this session well, then for me it's a good indicator that I've made good progress over the course of this marathon training program.

Because initially I run the Vo2max intervals (shorter intervals) at a 5k pace beyond my ability, these mile intervals would be almost impossible at the outset of the program. Achieving them at the end of the program, at a pace significantly faster than my last marathon program and finding them 'relatively' comfortable is a solid confidence booster. It doesn't mean I'll run well on race day, it just confirms that I have made progress.

Intervals: 5:25 / 5:29 / 5:22 (any of which would be a mile PB).
    Pre-Barcelona, these were: 5:43 / 5:38 / 5:39

So the last tough session is completed. Just the half marathon on Saturday, and lots of easy recovery runs, for the next 10 days, and the rest is in the hands of batman, superman and the other gods.

Summary: 8 miles in 55 mins, @6:46/mile. HR=a bit confused

Advertisement