Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yesterday:
    Really enjoyable experience pacing the 3:15 group in DCM, finishing in 3:14:29, so well happy with that. Some anxious moments at the start, as the mile markers didn't line up (I'm becoming a pace band afficianado) and it proved a bit of struggle clawing back the 40 seconds we lost in the first mile without killing everyone on the slight uphill drags over miles two and three, but by mile 5 we were pretty much bang on target.

Had fantastic company along the route, between village runner, Rory and the other 200 runners who tagged along with us on the day, met some really nice folks, and shouted abuse at them and corny words of encouragement for just over three hours. Conditions just didn't get better than today, so in some ways it would've been nice to race instead of pace, but the body definitely wouldn't have been up for a race yesterday. The last few miles were tougher than they should've been, but I think that was down to jetlag, the three hours of sleep the night before and the shouting on the hill from miles 18-20.

As always, a great feeling hitting Trinity after the quiet stretch along Pearse Street, and an absolutely delightful reward to share the experience of others hitting their goals (see pacing is actually a very greedy pastime!). I'm very much regretting the fact that I have another 26.2 in 10 days time. Of all of the dumb things, this one ranks up there! But the money's down, and it's the last hurrah of the year, so I'll go out to soak up the Big Apple experience, and try to hold a smile for the duration.

Summary: 26.2 miles in 3:14:29, pace=7:26/mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Emer911 wrote: »
    Hey, leave me out of it!?!

But such a good-natured, sweet alco, no? Cute and full head-haired, you have my official Boards Mod approval for your date buddy, well done Emer;)

Also KC, way to go to get such a good-looking designated driver.:D

Also KC, way to go to get such a good-looking designated driver.:D
    You mean the religious taxi-driving nut from Ghana, who tried to exorcise my demons on the way home from Kehoes? I don't recall him being that good-looking (or good natured).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Nice work on the pacing Krusty - are you finding yourself wanting to pace more marathons that go at them flat out? I got a really good feeling out of my first pacing duties there a couple of weeks ago, and like yourself, agree that pacing is almost a greedy pastime....

Enjoy NYC marathon - you could chance pacing the great one (Haile) for a while at that one ;)

Killerz wrote: »
    Nice work on the pacing Krusty - are you finding yourself wanting to pace more marathons that go at them flat out? I got a really good feeling out of my first pacing duties there a couple of weeks ago, and like yourself, agree that pacing is almost a greedy pastime....

Enjoy NYC marathon - you could chance pacing the great one (Haile) for a while at that one ;)
    Cheers Killerz. They are indeed great fun and very rewarding but a marathon is still 26.2 miles, even when running it sub-optimally, and carries its own risks and recovery requirements. So i'll stick to the tried and tested plan of racing two marathon a year and try and pace a couple on the backs of that training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

fair play to ya KC with another successful pacing preformance you surely contribute your bit to the marathons anyway

Today: Great to put the runners back on again, after two days rest from DCM to let the achilles heal up a bit. A bit of a Forest Gump run, as I loosened up with each mile, until I was feeling pretty good at mile 5, despite the horrendous weather. Going to take it handy for the next week to prepare for NYC, but still try and tick off a few enjoyable runs. Hard to get out these days though with long hours in work.

Summary: 5.3 miles in 41 mins, @7:44/mile

Today: 4 Mile loop in Roscommon, around by the racecourse, in search of the illusive home of the Galway Hooker. Didn't manage to find it, but I'll definitely be sampling her wares this evening. Finished up with a couple of quickish (6/min) miles, which felt good, but a little tough. The problem with being 'off-program' is that you definitely loose some speed, by not having the regular tempo/intervals etc, but I'll do my best to keep up some hard work, until i start the next program, once NYC marathon is out of the legs. Recovery from Dublin seems complete, with just a small bit of tiredness in the quads remaining.

Enjoyed some super pints in the best pub in Ireland last night, where even the dubs are welcomed with a smile and a story, as long they mind their Ps and Qs. But tonight, the search for the Galway Hooker continues, before a 10 or 11 mile easy run tomorrow, around Moate Park.
    Summary: 4.2 miles in 28 mins, @6:49/mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Thanks for the pacing Krusty. Good to meet you even if it was only to say I was about to fade:(. I was a bit too aggressive on that last hill !! Must say that was an amazing effort shouting encouragement on those hills. Next time I hope to last the whole race.

No bother Colm, it was a pleasure, if only briefly. That hill should be called Heartbeat Hill, as it finishes off so many runners. If you can hold onto the pace over the crest, then you're home and dry. If you fancy a couple of easy miles in Central Park next Saturday, drop me a pm. Probably do an easy 4 miles in the morning (or pints on Sunday!)

• Advertisement

Today: 11 Mile easy run

Well, I managed to find and sample the delights of a number of Galway Hookers last night (how many times can I make the same joke?!) along with several other craft beers, so it was a bit of a slow start this morning, and I was glad of the extra hour in bed.

I was looking for around 10-11 miles, and there's no better place around Roscommon town than Moate Park, particularly at this time of year, with the amazing autumnal colouring of the leaves. A little slow to kick off, but as time went on the pace picked up naturally and comfortably (possibly a side-effect of yesterday's quicker run). A very enjoyable run. i think I'm tapering again, but i'm not sure.

Summary: 11.3 miles in 1:21, @7:10/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Well done on another great pacing job, KC.
    Enjoy NYC Marathon.
    Hows the ear now?

Thanks Macanri. Ear is healing up nicely (no pain at all now), but still quite deaf! I have a transatlantic flight every week for the next four weeks though, which isn't really going to help matters. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Ear is healing up nicely (no pain at all now)
    That's good.
    , but still quite deaf!
    That's not good!
    I have a transatlantic flight every week for the next four weeks though, which isn't really going to help matters.
    That's not good either.

1 out of three's not great :( - Get well soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭opus

Thanks Macanri. Ear is healing up nicely (no pain at all now), but still quite deaf! I have a transatlantic flight every week for the next four weeks though, which isn't really going to help matters. :(

Best of luck in NY (not that you need it!). With that amount of travel to the US you'll be popular for xmas shopping :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Krusty enjoy the experience. Make sure your review it well as I'll be there one day

Cheers fellas. The main goal is to have a bit of craic and finish comfortably, so something like 3:15 is the target, followed by some Sierra Nevada ales and freedom fries. :)

Tonight: 5 pretty miserable miles. Haven't been sleeping well of late (delayed onset jetlag syndrome?!), and after a long day in work, headed out into the howling wind. I always feel better after these runs though, and today was par for the course. Not a fast one, but enjoyable nonetheless, traipsing around some roads in Shankill that I seem to have missed on my near two thousand mile journey (1,901 miles) so far this year.

Summary:: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:46/mile

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Hi Krusty,

Best of luck in the marathon, those Sierra Nevadas will be well deserved.

aero2k wrote:
    Best of luck in the marathon, those Sierra Nevadas will be well deserved.
    Thanks Sean. Not so sure about well-deserved, but they'll certainly be well received! This marathon is all about personal self-indulgence rather than any form of achievement (as little hard work as possible!). My days in work are going to be long, stressful and busy for the next few months, so might as well enjoy myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

have a good trot krusty. enjoy the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

best of look KC , enjoy , look forward to the report :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭meathcountysec

After the bears in Yosemite the denizens of New York should be no bother to ye. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Enjoy all the jazz of the NYC Marathon. Your warm down Marathon of the year so soak it up champ! All the best for it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck ! Expect to do this next year so looking forward to the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

best of luck Krusty..Enjoy the experience

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I'd love to be in your shoes. Have a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

hhope you really enjoy it krusty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

hhope you really enjoy it krusty

I'm now waiting for Homer to come on and wish Krusty the very best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Enjoy the route Krusty. Up da Bronx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Hey, no pacing responsibilities and no pb or sub 3 target responsibilities either. A marathon you can enjoy and just do it for yourself. Good luck.

The journey through the big 5 continues.

Advertisement