Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Always! But this time my shorts were giving me a wedgie, so I had to slow down. :) This is the problem when you're running with your back to everyone. You can't pull the shorts out of your... Anyway, great craic...

That's what you get for wearing this sexy hot pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭mithril

Activity: 5 miles in around 36 mins, Gradient 1.5%, 5kms @12 km/hour and 3 kms@16.5km/hour
    You will never get a better opportunity for the big switch. Time to GO METRIC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

That's what you get for wearing this sexy hot pants!
    Whatever about running around a park at night in the dark, you gotta wear the sexy shorts in the gym. It's less about what you do, and more about how good you look (wedgies notwithstanding). Forget your ice running with Jesus-nails hammered into your feet; real men train in the gym in spandex.

mithril wrote: »
    You will never get a better opportunity for the big switch. Time to GO METRIC.
    Hmm.. Only on the dreadmill! Maybe if I was lining up for a continental marathon I'd give serious thought to that whole metric fad (it's just a phase), but I'm hoping my next big goal will be the Ballycotton 10 mile. You know where you stand with 6 minute miles. It's an unshakable constant.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Hmm.. Only on the dreadmill! Maybe if I was lining up for a continental marathon I'd give serious thought to that whole metric fad (it's just a phase), but I'm hoping my next big goal will be the Ballycotton 10 mile. You know where you stand with 6 minute miles. It's an unshakable constant.

Hey KC, are the markers not metric in Berlin?!

• Advertisement

Hey KC, are the markers not metric in Berlin?!

They surely are. That's why you need a metric to statute pace-band converter. :)

my next big goal will be the Ballycotton 10 mile. You know where you stand with 6 minute miles. It's an unshakable constant.
    I have entered the 16.09 KM race there as well. I have a less lofty goal than you though. The key for me will be to keep the first digit of the Garmin pace reading showing 3 rather than 4.

Tonight: 5 Miles in the ice in the dark in the park
    Cold, late, slippy, mucky, icy, sleety, windy... great... Great to hit the park outside again, after nearly two weeks (addicted? moi?). Bit of a Torvill and Dean to get to the park, and not much better once I got there, but once I got over the Dart bridge (using my ice picks and crampons), you could trudge around the fields merrily at 8 minute mile, staring up at the stars in the clear sky. Another trudge back over the bridge to home, and glad that I managed the first outdoor run of December.

Summary: 5.3 miles in 45 mins, @8:28/mile, HR=142

Today: A Solid 13.3 mile run in the hills around the Scalp. I made some poor route choices though, which meant a lot of my 'running' was technically shuffling precariously up the hills, balancing on 6 inches of ice. At one point I pushed on past a stranded tractor, which, for any half-smart person would set off alarm bells, but in my infinite wisdom (and male pattern stubbornness) I kept on going, teetering up the icy hill for the next two miles. Still finished with some faster downhill miles which felt great! Lots of semi-wild goats around the scalp too, which is always a nice encounter.

Summary: 13.3 in 1:50, @8:02/mile, HR=146

Tonight: Another very long day in work, and haven't had a day off in weeks, but there was no way I was surrendering my two hours of freedom (between arriving home from work and going to bed to get up for work) to the couch and the TV, so threw on my runners before my motivation waned.

Very enjoyable run, despite the late hour. Some nice hills, to stretch the lungs a little, and some nice downhills to stretch the legs afterwards. Gotta keep running every chance I get. Can't surrender to the job/tv.. Time for dinner.

Summary: 10k in 46 mins, @7:40/mile, HR=144

• Advertisement

Tonight: Just an easy 5 miles after another long work day, and another late dinner. Me=2 Job=0.
    Summary: 5 miles in 36 mins, @7:21/mile, HR=147

Today: 6 Mile easy run
    If there's a better way to clear out a hangover, then it's got to be a glass of Gluwhein and an early morning ski, but second to that, a 6 mile easy run is the perfect antidote to an Xmas party hangover. Really enjoyed (and needed) a run to clear out the previous night's excesses and this 6 mile easy run did the job. Hoping to run a little longer tomorrow, so fingers crossed for a nice day. Time to start window-shopping for an interesting route.

Summary: 6 miles in 43 mins, @7:09/mile, HR=157

Today: 16 Mile trail run over the Dublin Mountains
    Welcomed the new arrival of a dusting of snow, as it would give me the chance to try out the Yaktraxs over the trails. Turned out that much of my route didn't have as much snow as my estate, so I ended up wearing the Yaktracks on road as well as the trails. After a half a mile I joined the Dublin Mountain Way trail, and stuck with it as far as Three Rock, where the views over Dublin were spectacular, however, the terrain was really awful. There was about a foot of snow, however it was old crusty snow that cracked and gave way underfoot. The downhill was via frozen stream, covered with a light dusting of snow that was quite treachorous (and led to a fall and a mildly sprained thumb), so I'll give it a miss the next time, and keep going around the lower trails.

Very slow going, given the conditions and the amount of uphill, but the goal was time on the feet with lots of uphill, so job done. The yaktraks performed brilliantly on everything I threw at them. The watch died on 15.99 miles, so six miles from home, I figured I'd call it a day and get a lift home. Thankfully rescue was only a 10 minute cold wait away. So a cracking but tough run, and one to expand on with more mountain, and less road. I'd like to get to a stage in a few months when I can run the length of the Dublin Mountain Way in a continuous run.

Summary: 16 miles in 2:25, @9 min/mile, HR=141

What training plan are you following for the South African Ultra?

mithril wrote: »
    What training plan are you following for the South African Ultra?
    Ehm... Run really far, as often as possible... :)

I haven't really sorted one out yet. Will wait until after next week. It's only a 56k race, so not much beyond a standard marathon. Was thinking of following a variation of a P&D marathon program, with medium runs on a Saturday (10-15 miles) and long runs on a Sunday, preferably over the hills to build some strength for some IMRA races next year. There's a couple of tough climbs in the Two Oceans around 150-200m each), which while not earth shattering, arrive at the 20 and 25 mile points (32kms and 40kms) which could be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Woundedknee.

It's only a 56k race

Did you think you'd be saying that 2 years ago :D

Well done on a great year, very impressive.

Did you think you'd be saying that 2 years ago :D
    Most definitely not! Don't mean to undermine the distance by the way. It's still a long frickin' way, it's just shorter than a lot of other Ultras, including Connemera. So I reckon a 'long' marathon plan would nearly do the job. I actually climbed 500m of hills yesterday on my long run, and only afterwards looked at the elevation profile of 2 Oceans, which is 2x200m. So it should be easy enough to find suitable matching hills in my area. My plan would be to simulate the profile, and run some tough hills on the last quarter of my long run.
    Well done on a great year, very impressive.
    Thanks much. I ticked a lot of the boxes that I wanted to, only missing out on my marathon targets by a couple of seconds. A little disappointed that I didn't hit a 35 min 10k, but that can wait until next year. I also have to shave three seconds off of my 10 mile time, so still a lot of work to do next year. I reckon the first six months of the year will be base building/IMRA races, and I'll try and hit a fast marathon in the middle of the year.

Today: 5 snowy yaktrak'ed miles
    Monday was a sanctioned rest day, but I just couldn't get out on Tuesday/Wednesday due to spending long hours working so was busting a gut to get out for a run. Woke up at 6am (5 hours after finishing work) so decided to make the most of it. Yaktraks again proving that they're not just a gimmick. Not a single slip, not even a nudge towards a slip, while heading up and down icy roads. Snow was less than ideal (deep, and krustycrusty) but I really enjoyed the nice quiet early morning roads. A bit tired now, mind you!

Summary: 5.2 miles in 40 mins, @7:38/mile, HR=147

Yesterday:
    Morning: A quick dip in the 40 foot, in Dun Laoghaire. Feckin freezing. Coldest year ever. Had to walk barefoot across the snow to get into the sea, which was heart-stoppingly cold. As one ol' lad said:
    You're not allowed to mention the word 'c-word' (cold) down at the 40 foot. Instead, we use the word 'refreshing'. The sea is particularly refreshing this morning. It would refresh the balls off a brass monkey.
    :D Brilliant!

Afternoon: A nice easy 5 miles, to burn off a nice boozy lunch (I'm officially one step closer to M40!). A lovely snowy run, apart from some grey sludge along the roads, but the yaktraks dealt with everything admirably.
    Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:34/mile HR=147

Have picked up a chest infection now, but am toying with the idea of hitting the Roscommon Town GOAL mile, to work up a thirst for some amazing xmas beers, bought for me by Mrs Clown. By the way, if you have this month's Irish Runner magazine, check out the section on runners and yoga. A certain Mrs Clown in full yogetic(?) pose!
    Happy xmas everyone. Have a fab day. :)

Christmas Day: Fancied a run around the goal mile, but didn't reckon it was going to go ahead, so headed out for a regular run instead. Had to hop over a gate to get into the grounds of the normally accessible Roscommon Castle and with pretty significant snow-drifts, I only managed a mile before scrambling back over the same gate. As I headed out again, I bumped into the lead runner (and only runner) in the Goal mile (everyone else opting to walk) who wanted some emotional support, so with the squad car taking up a rearguard position, I joined aforementioned lead runner for the final 2/3rds of her race. I reckon I could have beaten her over the finish line, but then the trip back to Dublin in the car would've been hellish, so as she sprinted towards the ending area finish line, I ducked into the background.

Finished out my 5 miles for the day, and it was time to tuck into the grub,
    Summary: 5 miles at -13'C, in 39 minutes, at 7:29/mile, HR=137

• Advertisement

Today: 10k - sh1tiest run in a long time. Chest infection really bedding in. Looks like a case for the AntiBs. Slush, rain, cold, ignorant drivers, crap, crap, crap. Nothing positive to be said, except for the yaktraks, which are like the duracell bunny, only with more traction. Confined to bed now, with some good beer, and Lindor chocolate. May not surface for some time...

Summary: 10 horrible kms, in 49 mins, @7:47/mile, HR=138

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

You clearly are off your feckin head. The 40 foot in that? Fair play to ya. I like the statement from the aul lad :D

Get well. Those infections take forever to shake if you come back too early. As you know, I'm sure.

The tradition of the 40 foot, while only four years old for me, is etched in rock as hard, cold and fast as the very slabs beneath your feet, as you make that heart-pounding leap into the icy depths below (how's that for melodrama?!). Choice doesn't (nor shouldn't) come into such things. 11 am, Xmas eve, like clockwork, every year.

This year I was joined by my good wife and eldest child (despite my protestations) and a good buddy. Others unfortunately succumbed to illness and foreign travel, but I'll get them next year! They will once again share my pain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭Emer911

Christmas Day: As I headed out again, I bumped into the lead runner (and only runner) in the Goal mile (everyone else opting to walk) who wanted some emotional support, so with the squad car taking up a rearguard position, I joined aforementioned lead runner for the final 2/3rds of her race.

And said support was much appreciated!
    ...so as she sprinted towards the ending area finish line, I ducked into the background.

...but you did hang around long enough for the photo! :D Must make sure that the old pair get the local paper this week. :p

Today: 5 Mile loop of Shankill. Really didn't enjoy this run, as the chest infection is peaking at the moment, and the GP has me on some strong Antibiotics and steroids (so I can't win any races for a few months. ;)) so I'm not feeling the love. Have been planning a long run for the last few days, but until I'm showing signs of recovery, I reckon raising the heart rate too high could be a mistake. Pissed off...

Summary: 5.3 miles in 43 mins, @8:04/mile, HR=133

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭cwgatling

Chest infection here too - pain in the ass. 2-3 days and those anti-B's will kick in. Get well soon!

Today: 10 mile treadmill run
    If you can't bring mohammed to the mountains, because he's a softie with a chest infection, then bring mohammed to the treadmill. I hate treadmills (have I mentioned that before?!), but with the green gunk oozing from my chest at the moment (by means of my mouth), an outside run isn't the wisest choice (neither is an inside run for that matter, but what they hey). 10 miles in a format from marathontalk (alternating treadie speeds of 12k, 14k, 16.3k for a kilometer, with the occasional easy 1km rest thrown in to let the lungs gulp back in some much needed air). Not much to be said about this session, except for the fact that it is over. Can't wait to do a proper long run outside again/

Summary: 10 miles on the dreadmill @2% gradient, in 72 mins. Average HR=153

Summary: 5 Mile easy run
    Enjoyable easy run (which is all I can manage at the moment), but for some fecker narrowly missing my head with an apple. It was either a passing car or a teenager in the nearby park. Getting a little concerned about the amount of abuse from the teenage population. I stand up to them at every opportunity, but the last few times their intrusion into my personal space happened when my back has been turned. The recent snow episode has made them all a little bit too brave. We need to take back our streets. Whose with me? :rolleyes:
    Grr. The price of urban running.

Summary: 5 miles in 39 mins, @7:37/mile, HR=136

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Getting a little concerned about the amount of abuse from the teenage population.
    Tell me about it, have had a few almost fights with them the past while, total lack of respect for anyone .... or are we just getting old ? I don't think it would have happened years ago..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Camouflage running gear required imo.

Advertisement