Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Don't worry, you'll be great! You've followed a similar pattern to the one I did, starting with a couple of half marathons before moving onto the big Kahuna. :D You'll love the Connemara marathon (mostly!).

The first half of the Connemarathon is actually a pretty comfortable route, which actually has a little more downhill than uphill. So perhaps what you should aim to do on your long runs is to try and get a good hill covered about half way into your run, and then try to get another hill in to the run towards the end of your run. Cornelscourt is a good solid hill, shorter but steeper than the Connemara hill climbs, but still suitable. The run up Vico Road (from either direction) is absolutely perfect. Around the perfect height and length.

So assuming you live in the Blackrock area (I grew up there many, many moons ago!), you could head to Dun Laoghaire, run along the coast and up over Vico Road, as far as Shankill village (or your turn-about point depending on the distance you want to cover) and then head back the way you came, back over Vico Road and home. So you could easily work out a 15-20 mile route that way.

If you're the kind of person who likes to over-prepare (really not necessary for Connemara though) then Puck's Castle Lane (here) is a tough slog of a hill, tougher than the Hell of the West, with lots of fresh air and good views. Emer_911 can occasionally be found slogging her way up around these parts of a weekend, if you want someone to show you the way (and a more realistic perspective on the difficulty of the hill!).

Thanks so much the reply. As usual, you delivered! I am looking forward to it in a weird way :rolleyes: – no time goals or anything. I just want to complete it in one piece and enjoy it. If I cross the finish line never wanting to run again, that would not be a good outcome so fingers crossed it all goes well.

I do love an ole run out the coast road but haven’t headed out that way in a long time so I must put it back in the schedule. And that 15-20 mile sounds perfect; I have two 20 milers scheduled so all going well I might do that as my second one. Cheers!

Thanks for offering Emer911’s services (I hope you get a good commission!). We’ve been in contact so hopefully we’ll get together soon – just letting you know to make sure you get paid! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Today: Aerobic 10 Miles
    Enjoyable run. As usual, the legs started off a little stiff and slow, but after two miles, they were ready for action. Followed an unusual route that took me up some short sharp hills (little more than nipples on the elevation chart!) that I pushed the pace on, and it felt good. I thought of stopping after 8 miles and calling it a day, but there's a part of me that doesn't want to introduce those kind of options, so without realizing it, I slipped into the park instead of heading for home and finished off the planned distance. I'm beginning to realize that once I step out that door, I have little choice when it comes to routes, terrain, even pace these days. The legs will go where they want. But still niggle free for a long stretch now. Running around 50-55 mpw without any achilles pains too, which marks a great change.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:14, @7:23/mile, HR=144

This morning: Ran last night's recovery run of 4 miles. Could only leave work at 10pm last night, and was just too shagged and pissed off to go for a run, so I headed out early this morning instead, which was a great call. Last night's tempest was exchanged for a beautiful sunny morning, and strangely despite running a loop, I seemed to be heading into the sun for the entire 4 miles, which though technically impossible, was quite nice. I miss the sun sometimes.
    Summary: 4 miles in 33 mins, @8:07/mile, HR=136

Afternoon: Met up with Donotprovidemedicaladvice Donothoponpop, and ran the always enjoyable Mountain Plod route, from Marlay Park, through Massey's, Cruagh and Tibradden, before following the Wicklow Way back to Marlay Park. D'pop decided to take a detour via Cruagh (or at least that's my story and I'm sticking with it) that took us down a river bed, which was a wet, muddy, messy exciting affair, which has secured my Mizuno Precision's retirement to their final resting place. Certainly one of my favourite routes, which has a bit of everything, including (it seems) year round sunshine. So a solid 17 miles run today, that all felt comfortable and did not tax the body needlessly. Another 12 or 13 miles tomorrow, and then an easy week ahead of me.

Summary: 13 hilly miles in 2 hours, @8:58/mile, HR=138

Today: 13 miles
    Before I forget, 13 very un-inspiring miles on a messy windy day. A far cry from yesterday's frivolous run around the hills of Dublin, today's run was a drab tiring affair, where I set my sight on running one of my faster routes, and finding 7:20/mile easy. How the mighty have fallen. Got through the first 5 miles of uphill happy and then got hit by a wall of wind on my favourite stretch of fast-running road, which persisted for the next 6 miles. Ugh. Ugly run. Done, but not fun. Easy week ahead.

Summary: 13.1 miles @7:11/mile, HR=143, + 0.5 mile warmdown,

• Advertisement

Today: 8 miles Aerobic
    Not a bad little leg stretcher. 8 Miles around Cabinteely. Easy week planned for the rest of the week, with a long run on Saturday.

Summary: 8 miles in 55 mins, @6:58/mile, HR=152

Tonight: Nice easy chilled 5 miles in the park, @7:50mile, HR=135

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Will be running in Corkagh Friday. Could be around 4pm though so I don't know if that suits. Pace will be just over 8 min per mile and not much further than 5-6 miles

Hi TRR, thanks for the invite, and I would normally be able to make it, but I have that 50k race/run tomorrow, so I reckon I'll be sticking to something closer to 4 miles tomorrow. If there's a way to loop back after 4 miles I might see if I can make it (work permitting).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

Hi TRR, thanks for the invite, and I would normally be able to make it, but I have that 50k race/run tomorrow, so I reckon I'll be sticking to something closer to 4 miles tomorrow. If there's a way to loop back after 4 miles I might see if I can make it (work permitting).

yeah the loop we do is 4.5 miles so could cut out a field and 4 miles, bobs your uncle. It's all on grass as well. I'll PM you the details later and if you can make it well and good if not no worries

• Advertisement

Tonight: Nice easy 10k with strides
    Enjoyable run down by the Bray sea-front, with some strides thrown in for good measure. My strides tend to be 4 strides x 20, plus a few more sprinkled in, so at a guess, around 100-200 metres in length. I really enjoy running fast (for short periods of time!), so I must give Asimonov/kiwirunner's diagonals a go one of these days. My park is a busy one though, so I need to figure a time when there are no matches being played (I hear they don't appreciate that sort of thing, particularly when you're doing one of your back to nature nudie runs).

Hope to get out for an easy run tomorrow afternoon in Corkagh Park, but it will depend on work (it's been 9pm/10pm the last few Fridays, so 3:45 is going to be a bit of a push). I remember way back, when weekends included parts of Friday too, but the memory is fading fast (silent violin!).

Summary: 10k in 44 mins, :7:20/mile, HR=141

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Good luck tomorrow KC....what's the PUP?

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow KC....what's the PUP?
    Thanks Gringo. Hopefully a nice comfortable 7:20/mile. My goal is to finish in the top-25. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Good luck in the 50k tomorrow ! I'm with you on the Friday-as-weekend thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Good luck tomorrow KC. Was there not a time when Monday - Friday was part of the weekend too!

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Good luck in the 50k tomorrow ! I'm with you on the Friday-as-weekend thing.
    Thanks pgmcpq. I faired slightly better today, and went for an enjoyable run with Shels4ever and TheRoadRunner at 4pm and was home by 5:30pm! Now I just have another 4 or 5 hours of work to do, but at least I'm at home!

asimonov wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow KC. Was there not a time when Monday - Friday was part of the weekend too!
    Ah yes.. The heady days of school holidays and unemployment. Fond days indeed.

Luck? I've been off the beer for four days. What could possibly go wrong?! :D

Today: Dodged out of work for a few hours to meet up with Shels and TheRoadRunner for an easy run around Corkagh Park. Nice to have a park with a 4.5 mile loop on the grass. Will keep an emergency running bag in the boot of my car in future for when I'm passing, as it's on my way home, and would save a lot of time (particularly later in the year, when there's more daylight). Nice bit of banter, and good to meet up with the lads for a last leg-stretcher before tomorrow mornings slog.
    Summary: 4.7 miles in 39 mins, @8:16/mile, HR=129

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Enjoy the 50km run tomorrow. Happy running.

Really enjoyable race (how often can you say that about a 50k race?). The plan was to cover the marathon distance in around 3:15, and then keep plugging away for the last 5 miles at approximately the same pace. As it turned out, that's exactly what happened. I ran with Lecheile from start to finish and the pace we set off at, was the pace we finished off (all that marathon pacing finally paying off!). The chat was great for passing the time (distance) and I didn't notice the miles or loops dropping by, except for the occasional need to grab a bottle of water or a gel from the start/finish area. Without the banter, I would've found the course a lot tougher, as the loop system would eventually have gotten to me.

Lecheile had originally planned to run a slightly slower pace, but I'm glad he didn't, as it would have been an awful quiet race otherwise! That's the thing about 25 people running a 5km loop. The chances of actually meeting any other runners are very remote, and brief at best, though it was still great to say a quick hello, to such a nice bunch of people (guess who is still full of endorphin lovin'?).

Could I have run faster? sure I could have, but despite the great organization and location, this wasn't a goal race, and I have a much tougher endurance test in a month's time. Congrats to Abhainn who took second place to a pretty formidable running machine. Yes he lapped me as we crossed the finish line of our penultimate lap, but I have to say nice things about him, as he gave me a lift there and back. Next time Joe, things might be different.... (you might lap me twice).

Back to the GAA club-house for a GAA shower (cold, smelly and full of mud (describes me perfectly)), and a cup of soup and some sarnies rounded off a perfect day out. Certainly a race to remember, if not for the time, then for the location, the organization, the nice bunch of people and the banter as we ticked off mile after mile. Now, who wants to come for a long chat on the Wicklow Way Ultra in March? :)

Summary: 31.27 miles in 3:52:25, @7:25/mile, HR=143

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Well done Krusty.another fine run from you.
    These days your w/e long run is more or less my weekly mileage.....
    well done again

Thanks Sosa. I'm doing lots of nice running these days, and enjoying it. But I'm happy enough about it, as when the ultras are finished, I have May to October to start building speed again, (10k, 10mile, half marathon) before hopefully challenging my marathon pb in Chicago. It's nice to have the time to build up properly, instead of running from one program straight into the next, as I have done in previous years.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

So it was you lot that ate all the sandwiches?

Great running from you today. Was very depressing watching you at the end of the lap looking like you were only doing a short warm up, you didn't look any different when you crossed the finish line. Savage running and improvements from you over the last year or so...

Great running from you today. Was very depressing watching you at the end of the lap looking like you were only doing a short warm up, you didn't look any different when you crossed the finish line. Savage running and improvements from you over the last year or so...
    Ahh now.. I only ate two triangles.. I reckon it was the savages that arrived in after us (in a black 09D Audi) who are the culprits. Did you see who was in the car? They looked like a voracious bunch. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Well done today KC, you ran very steadily throughout. I second Racoon Queens depression at how jolly and fresh you looked at the finish, down with this sort of thing. More scowling and anguished pain, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Well done mate:D

Well done today KC, you ran very steadily throughout. I second Racoon Queens depression at how jolly and fresh you looked at the finish, down with this sort of thing. More scowling and anguished pain, please.
    Just come along to the finish of the Wicklow Way Ultra, and there'll be plenty of scowling and anguish, more blood, and possibly some tears. :)

Comparatively speaking, your achievement was significantly greater than mine. I ran 30 miles two weeks ago, so today's jaunt was only an extra mile. Whereas your run today was almost twice as long as your longest run so far this year. Take a bow (if you still have the energy!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Just come along to the finish of the Wicklow Way Ultra, and there'll be plenty of scowling and anguish, more blood, and possibly some tears. :)

Comparatively speaking, your achievement was significantly greater than mine. I ran 30 miles two weeks ago, so today's jaunt was only an extra mile. Whereas your run today was almost twice as long as your longest run so far this year. Take a bow (if you still have the energy!).

It's impossible to dislike you, you are the nicest poster on Boards. Next time when I slap your back after a race, my arm may linger a bit:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭asimonov

Luck? I've been off the beer for four days. What could possibly go wrong?! :D

You were right. You didn't need luck. Good running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Ahh now.. I only ate two triangles.. I reckon it was the savages that arrived in after us (in a black 09D Audi) who are the culprits. Did you see who was in the car? They looked like a voracious bunch. ;)

Hmmmm well I ate 2,5 squares ( yes 5 triangles) and a seconds of soup. Ya hungry hore I am.

Well done KC Two Oceans Ultra you are well prepared.
    Sorry for lapping you at the end.:) But when I saw you within overtaking distance I had to do. You will thank me for that come the Autumn. Sub 2:45 and nothing extra

Advertisement