Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Ahh now.. I only ate two triangles.. I reckon it was the savages that arrived in after us (in a black 09D Audi) who are the culprits. Did you see who was in the car? They looked like a voracious bunch. ;)

I would like to distance myself from that allegation. There were three triangles left when I arrived into the club. I had one and left the rest for HotToTrot. The voracious bunch who jumped out of my car before i even stopped were able to get a head start on me and ravage the spoils. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Abhainn wrote: »
    Hmmmm well I ate 2,5 squares ( yes 5 triangles) and a seconds of soup. Ya hungry hore I am.
    So did you manage to find Hollands? All that exotic beer might slow you down a bit. :)

Yesterday: 2 mile family run/rollerblade, at a staggering 11:55/mile. Is that technically running? Still, it was a perfect post race leg stretcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

So did you manage to find Hollands? All that exotic beer might slow you down a bit. :)

Oh yes!. You never said it was like Aladdins Cave in there:)

Today: 10k easy recovery run
    Very hard to get the mojo together to head out, but fine (as always) when I got out there. A nice chilled 10k. Might head into the hills tomorrow night, if the weather ain't too bad. Also reckon it's time to start lunch-time running, so from next week, I'll start doing some short easy recovery runs 4 or 5 miles) and stick to sessions on some evenings. Looking forward to changing things a little and hopefully building some speed into the legs for the Two Oceans in April. I also need to start pushing the heart rate too, so might target some HR-based running, which is really lacking in my running at the moment (everything's stuck at 135-145 bpm).

Summary: 10k in 48 mins, @7:52/mile, HR=132

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Fantastic running Krusty,

Though I think I'll have to stop reading this log - 31+ miles at 7:24 while chatting away puts my puny little 20m training run of last week into perspective!

aero2k wrote: »
    Fantastic running Krusty,

Though I think I'll have to stop reading this log - 31+ miles at 7:24 while chatting away puts my puny little 20m training run of last week into perspective!
    It's not quantity, it's quality, and the quality is pretty low these days, but it's a necessary evil for the next two ultras. I'm almost uncomfortable saying it, but I'm looking forward to doing a short weekend run one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

Well done today KC, you ran very steadily throughout. I second Racoon Queens depression at how jolly and fresh you looked at the finish, down with this sort of thing. More scowling and anguished pain, please.

A bit like this D...P???

kc_pic.jpg

Given that it was so early on in the race I can only presume that it must have been something I said :D

lecheile wrote: »
    A bit like this D...P???

kc_pic.jpg

Given that it was so early on in the race I can only presume that it must have been something I said :D
    That was the end of lap 1. I think i must have eaten one of the laxative flap jacks, instead of the performance enhancing steroid-filled flapjacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭lecheile

I ran with Lecheile from start to finish and the pace we set off at, was the pace we finished off (all that marathon pacing finally paying off!). The chat was great for passing the time (distance) and I didn't notice the miles or loops dropping by, except for the occasional need to grab a bottle of water or a gel from the start/finish area. Without the banter, I would've found the course a lot tougher, as the loop system would eventually have gotten to me.

Thanks to you KC I had a much better day than planned. My original target of 3:59 was put on hold for the first few laps while we chatted at a pace that I did not believe that I could maintain for the duration. But having KC there meant that the laps just passed by and it eventually got to a stage where I could not let him off on his own - it was a matter of pride and dignity!! Last two laps were really difficult and the sprint finish that we had planned during lap 6 failed to materialise. When I look back on the day I wonder that if I had to set out on my original task alone whether I would have had the mental strength to full race even at the slower pace?

I look forward to the next event KC where I promise that I'll let you take the position next time :D

• Advertisement

lecheile wrote: »
    I look forward to the next event KC where I promise that I'll let you take the position next time :D
    The IMRA Wickow Way Ultra beckons!

Tonight: A 10 mile run of two halves
    Ran the first few miles with the missus during her tempo run (probably more of an annoyance rather than offering any company!), which served as a handy warm-up. Then put the skates on, and headed for the nearby hills of Killiney, for some faster miles in an attempt to get the heart rate up. A partial success, as I clocked up some faster miles, and got the ticker responding on the climbs, and kept the pace up on the downhills. Not a bad night's work.

Summary:
    4 miles in 35 mins, @8:51/mile, HR=124
    6.2 miles in 43 mins, @6:56/mile, HR=148

Tonight: 5 mile recovery run
    Brrr.. Feckin freezing out there. Where's that season-change we were all promised? Body seems fully recovered from the weekend, which is a good sign.

Summary: 5 miles in 38 mins, @7:48/mile, HR=134

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Tonight: 5 mile recovery run
    Brrr.. Feckin freezing out there. Where's that season-change we were all promised?

We did get the season change, we went back to severe Winter because Summer has been cancelled.

Aimman wrote: »
    We did get the season change, we went back to severe Winter because Summer has been cancelled.
    Does that mean that Christmas is just around the corner?
    Sh1t! How many shopping days have we left?

Tonight: 10 mile easy run
    Took a SIS smart gel, to see how they faired in the stomach (I'd rather have stomach issues on a 10 mile run, rather than a 31 mile mountain run, with no toilets for miles! Went down fine, but finished with a bit of a stomach cramp. So will try another one, before the big ultra later this month. Otherwise I felt totally energised. I just switched off and enjoyed the tunes on the mp3 player. Small bit of stiffness in my ankle, but the last 6 days would be a mileage pb for me, so some stiffness isn't a huge surprise. Two easy days next, and a handy trot around Ballycotton on Sunday. Not chasing a PB this time, but hopefully next year.

Summary: 10 miles in 74 mins, @7:24/mile, HR=138

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Nice running in the 50k - reads like the body is holding up pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

Cool. I know who to hassle when I need hotel and restaurant recommendations!

Krusty re Chicago I finally go into and out of the attic for my bits and bobs without causing an injury to myself :D

Im crap when it comes to technology so cant post the links :(

Stayed at The Avenue Hotel 160 E Huron St.. Lovely hotel in great location... The bar attached to it served excellent food and drink.. There's also a lovely place across the road thats was always busy and served a lovely chicken pasta dish...

20 mins walk approx to Start and in my case 10 mins taxi back
    2 mins walk from Michigen Avenue ( the famed Magnificent Mile )...Disney Store, Macy's, American Girl etc...
    2 minute walk to Niketown dept store ( heaven ) where a free shuttle bus leaves for Expo
    15 min walk to Lizzie Mc Neills and Fado Irish Bars both good establishments for post marathon hydration...

And God forbid if u get a bad pint the Northwestern Memorial Hospital is 30 secs from hotel :pac:

Hope above is of assistance...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Best of luck in BallyCotton KC. Chew iron nails from now until Sunday. Drink raw beefblood, eat only steak. Remember, sleep is for the weak. Every runner in front of you in the race is a target, to be overtaken and slaughtered. Revel in the bloodbath, crave the pain, howl at the moon, bring on the dogs of lust, PUMP IT UP, SCREAM YES I CAN, and YOU WILL hit your target of...<checks Ballycotton thread>... 65:xx minutes?!? What?

[size=-5]Ya big girls blouse :D[/size]

Best of luck in BallyCotton KC. Chew iron nails from now until Sunday. Drink raw beefblood, eat only steak. Remember, sleep is for the weak. Every runner in front of you in the race is a target, to be overtaken and slaughtered. Revel in the bloodbath, crave the pain, howl at the moon, bring on the dogs of lust, PUMP IT UP, SCREAM YES I CAN, and YOU WILL hit your target of...<checks Ballycotton thread>... 65:xx minutes?!? What?

[size=-5]Ya big girls blouse :D[/size]
    Haha. Funny guy... Can't a guy go for an easy run around Cork, without recording a PB? :confused:

• Advertisement

Haha. Funny guy... Can't a guy go for an easy run around Cork, without recording a PB? :confused:

Sure he can! It was a great run KC, while it lasted...

..now where's Abhainn's log? ;)

Tonight: Tell my why, I don't like Fridays...
    Another 12 hour day, home by 10pm, quick easy four mile run, more work, bed.. Ugh.. Not a great existence.. But the weekend is here! I'm saved!
    Summary: 4 miles in 30 mins, @7:32/mile, HR=140

Sure he can! It was a great run KC, while it lasted...

..now where's Abhainn's log? ;)
    Abhainn's log is where the real action is at! Only easy running going on here. :)
    Come back in May!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Best of luck tomorrow in Ballycotton, weather looks like it's going to be kind to us thankfully! I've got a guaranteed PB on the cards seeing as it's my first 10m race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

Abhainn's log is where the real action is at! Only easy running going on here. :)
    Come back in May!

Enjoy Ballycotton tomorrow KC,i did the summer 5m up therer last august and enjoyed it,it seems to much hassle for whats its worth to me,i will be interested to read your thoughts on the congestion to get into ballycotton and get anywhere near the start line

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Good luck !!!....

A nice easy 4 miles yesterday, before packing up the family and heading to Corcaigh.

Today: A lovely day for a run, nice and cool with no breeze. Headed to Ballycotton after the usual pre-race brekkie, and arrived down just after 11am, to park in a flattened field of straw. A brief walk down to the town, and them we bumped into Thomas Buebendorfer, who was setting himself up for a sub-62 minute race and then we joined Xebec and headed up towards the start line.

The scenery in Ballycotton is pretty spectacular, but really only at the start/finish line. Otherwise, it's country lanes, cattle and gentle hills; my kind of terrain. Arriving in Ballycotton, I couldn't help but get caught up in the atmosphere. This is a race that reeks of tradition and competitive racing. You could tell that the proportion of competitive runners to fun runners was far greater than the Frank Duffy 10 miler (63 people broke 60 mins in the Frank Duffy, while breaking 60 mins in ballycotton wouldn't necessarily get you into the top 100 in Ballycotton, despite a significantly lower number of runners). Dropped off my bag, and went for an easy mile warm-up bumping into a couple of familiar faces, before heading to the start line with 30 minutes to go.

The start-line was the only disappointment of the day. I lined up towards the rear of a sign that said sub 58 minutes. Ridiculous example of the self-perpetuating problem where runners feel that they need to push up close to the front to get a good solid start. 90% of the people around me (sub 60 area) would have been lucky to hit 120 minutes. Still I didn't want to compound the problem, so stuck to what should have been approximately the right spot for a 65 minute 10 mile run. Which brings me to...

My goal: I haven't done a single interval, tempo session, or fast run since my marathon PB in Berlin in September. I felt 65 minutes was a lofty goal, as recently I have racking up good mileage (for me) but no speed-work. On that basis, 6:30 minute miles seemed like a solid agressive target.

Back to the race: The momentary disappointment continued after the race kicked off, as half of the entire field tried to wind their way through and around the selfish idiots who put themselves ahead (figuratively and literally) of the rest of the field. Eventually after a 1/2 mile, the field stretched out, and I was able to hit a comfortable pace. Looking at the watch, I was running 6:15, but it was downhill, so I stuck with it. Mile two, another downhill mile, 6:08 felt nice and easy. Mile 3, slightly uphill, but feeling good, made up for the slow start: 6:02.

At this stage, the watch was giving me an average pace of around 6:08/mile, but it all felt nice and comfortable, so why the hell would you slow down. I kept plugging away, feeling great. Miles 4 and 5 in 6:05 and 6:07. Didn't have a 'time' field on the watch, so didn't know what my 5 mile time was (not sure how long it took me to cross the start line), but looking back, it was 30:39.

I stuck to my usual strategy of running from group to group, using slower runners to slow my pace and give me a chance to recover, before pushing on to the next group, flying through the field. Mile 6: 6:09. I found a decent group at this stage, and stuck with them for a bit, to give myself a break, before the hills I had been warned about. Lap 7: 6:14, before pushing on, lap 8: 6:07. At this stage I saw Thomas B ahead of me, so I figured I might join him for the final stretch, but as I sought but failed to find the hill, I smelt the finish line, and realized I was feeling way too strong at this stage of the race, so figured it was time for a bit of a push (mile 9: 6:15). I caught Thomas' group with 1/2 mile to go, and was feeling very strong, so decided to push on to the finish. A few doubts, with 400m to go that I might have pushed too early, but some of the faster runners who had already finished gave me a bit of encouragement (possibly because I was out on my own?) which really helped. Last mile a slightly uphill 5:50.

Second half: 30:57 (two second negative split. :)).

The result: 61:33. A minute and a half slower than I ran a couple of weeks before my 2:48 in Berlin. So a good bit slower, but I'm very happy with that time. My focus has been on running long instead of running fast, but I haven't lost too much speed in the legs. the long runs have given me great endurance and this race felt like a breeze, compared to the Frank Duffy in August. So hopefully a solid starting point for an assault on a range of PBs in the second half of this year, once I knuckle down to running fast again. I kind of lost the taste for fast running after Berlin. But after today, it's back.

One final bitter taste: I was beaten over the finish line by the Kilkenny man. Enjoy this one VR, the next one is mine. :D Also, I'm coming back to Ballycotton next year, and next time, I'm not going home without one of those top 100 finishers t-shirts.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:01:33, @6:08/mile, HR=163

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭aigster

Great report....As somebody who's new to running these events aren't familiar...But I'll be having a look in future...
    Well done on time and effort!...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Well done ! I cannot imagine that for you adding race sharpness is a much of an obstacle.

In Barca I stuck a small blow for appropriate start line positioning by easing a trio of runners clogging the early miles apart and running through them. Heard a lot of angry Spanish in my wake.

• Advertisement

Great report Krusty. Earlier slagging aside, its amazing you've ran that time off the limited training you've been doing lately, that's only got to bode well for 2011 being a stellar year for you.

Advertisement