Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

well done, good running. You'll easily break 60 when you put your mind to it. I've never ran Ballycotton myself the main reason being the start line shennaigans you described in your report.

Two questions
    1)Would it have been possible for you to get closer to the front if you had wanted to?
    2) Also would you recommend it as a race?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

I ran 28:39 for 5m the week before cork last year,that was after 3 months of long runs and easy runs,no tempos or intervals.
    Dont underestimate the strength your getting in your legs from all those miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Two questions
    1)Would it have been possible for you to get closer to the front if you had wanted to?
    >> Yeah, I could've barged my way into the sub 54 minute pen, with all the other 90 minute runners, but like was saying, I just don't believe in making the problem even worse, just for my own gain (and it wasn't a goal race, after all). In your case, you would be fine, as you would deservedly be lining up at the front, with the top 30-40 runners, so you would have no qualms about making your way to the front.

2) Also would you recommend it as a race?
    Absolutely. One of those races like the Dunshaughlin 10k, that just has an air of being a fine race. And the organization is top-notch. Despite limitations like parking outside of the town etc., they do an exceptional job of getting you in and back out in no time at all. Heartily recommend it. and the caliber of the race is excellent. I have no doubt you would find some runners of a similar standard to pace-off during the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

The start-line was the only disappointment of the day. I lined up towards the rear of a sign that said sub 58 minutes. Ridiculous example of the self-perpetuating problem where runners feel that they need to push up close to the front to get a good solid start. 90% of the people around me (sub 60 area) would have been lucky to hit 120 minutes. Still I didn't want to compound the problem, so stuck to what should have been approximately the right spot for a 65 minute 10 mile run.

Yeah I can sympatise with you there, I decided beforehand that 66 mins would be achievable so positioned myself somewhere that made sense based on the signs, probably a bit behind where you were. A friend of mine came along who's run there loads of time & told me I was insane to start there cause he said I'd be trapped for the first mile so persuaded me to move up a few rows which made life a bit easier. Even so I was hemmed in for roughly the first km & I wouldn't have been going at your pace so can imagine how fustrating it must have been.

Was explaining it to someone last night as either I was being very pessmestic or the starting area was full of optimists!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭tisnotover

Great running yesterday Krusty, and tx for the race report too.

No doubt that you'll get sub-60 if you come down next year! Interesting to see how the weeks of steady mileage and long runs are standing to you, must try it myself ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Fair play yesterday! Nice to surprise yourself with a time ;) Sorry I didn't see you and Emer after, was rushing for a train, thanks for the shout of encouragement going up the hill, I was in pain at that stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Nice one! Well done :)

Today: 5 Mile recovery run
    Nice 'n' easy 5 miles, and the body felt surprisingly good. Another indication that I was just bone lazy yesterday. :)
    Summary: 5 miles in 39 mins, @7:53/mile, HR=127

tisnotover wrote: »
    Great running yesterday Krusty, and tx for the race report too.

No doubt that you'll get sub-60 if you come down next year! Interesting to see how the weeks of steady mileage and long runs are standing to you, must try it myself ;)
    If I come down next year, it won't be sub 60 I'll be looking for! I'll settle for nothing less than 58:xx and one of them white t-shirts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭Sosa

If I come down next year, it won't be sub 60 I'll be looking for! I'll settle for nothing less than 58:xx and one of them white t-shirts. :D

They were red last year...i have never raced it,i must go up next year myself...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭aero2k

Great report and great time - sounds like it didn't take too much out of you. (sure 10m must barely pass as a warm-up for you these days!)

aero2k wrote: »
    Great report and great time - sounds like it didn't take too much out of you. (sure 10m must barely pass as a warm-up for you these days!)
    You're right. I'm getting too old and lazy in my ways. The sins of running 'long'. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

well done KC , great result for someone with no speed done since september , you seem to be up for the fight now judging by that report , hope i feel as good after Craughwell 10

Thanks Seres. It was definitely the boot up the arse I needed. You'll be great in Craughwell. What you lack in recent training, due to injury, you make up for with determination. I'm sure it'll go as well as all of the rest of your worthy achievements.

Yesterday: Forced rest day due to a 14 hour work day. Got home at 11:40pm, so no time for a run.

Today: Ran yesterday's 10 mle run tonight, in rather unappealing weather. Disgusting head wind in the first half, and then a supportive gale pushing me all the way home afterwards, with a couple of wind-assisted faster miles.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:15, @7:32/mile, HR=140

Today: Another 13 hour work day, but this time I did things right. I packed up my running gear this morning, and headed for my first lunch-time run, and it was great! I work beside Grange Castle, which is a large industrial park (with Pfizer the behemoth at it's centre). The park is great, as while it's not the most scenic run, it is riddled with nice clear bike paths and soft grass. Really enjoyed the run despite the icy hail-stones and extreme winds. I'm looking forward to finding different routes around the area, and getting some of my evening life back.

Summary: 5 miles in 35 mins, @7:00/mile, HR=150

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭Seres

Today: Another 13 hour work day, but this time I did things right. I packed up my running gear this morning, and headed for my first lunch-time run, and it was great! I work beside Grange Castle, which is a large industrial park (with Pfizer the behemoth at it's centre). The park is great, as while it's not the most scenic run, it is riddled with nice clear bike paths and soft grass. Really enjoyed the run despite the icy hail-stones and extreme winds. I'm looking forward to finding different routes around the area, and getting some of my evening life back.

Summary: 5 miles in 35 mins, @7:00/mile, HR=150
    Big fan of the lunchtime runs as well , ita great not having the run hanging over you in the evening , breaks up the day nicely :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Getting a few lunchtime sessions in each week really does take the pressure off alright and it's good to get away from the desk at lunchtime!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭Gringo78

Seres wrote: »
    Big fan of the lunchtime runs as well , ita great not having the run hanging over you in the evening , breaks up the day nicely :)

Only back to the lunchtime running this week for the first time in 2011 (needed to get a shower sorted at work...finally done)...they're the business. Plus, I find contrary to what you might think, no afternoon slump....you'd think it would tire you out for the afternoon but it actually perks you up.

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Plus, I find contrary to what you might think, no afternoon slump....you'd think it would tire you out for the afternoon but it actually perks you up.

+1 my afternoons are a disaster if I don't get out at lunch time. Spend most my day at a desk and get headaches without any lunch time exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

Gringo78 wrote: »
    Only back to the lunchtime running this week for the first time in 2011 (needed to get a shower sorted at work...finally done)...they're the business. Plus, I find contrary to what you might think, no afternoon slump....you'd think it would tire you out for the afternoon but it actually perks you up.

+1
    Lunch time runs means afternoons and work multi tasking is just a breeze;)

KC welcome from the lunch time runners:)

Today: 5 Mile lunch-time run
    I'm really embracing this lunch-time running gig, with another 5 mile run today, this time, heading by the side entrance (fishing lakes) into Corkagh Park, for a lovely run around the paths and trails. Again, the weather was atrocious and it never stopped lashing rain, but that mattered little, as I was out of the office, and didn't have to face a cold, wet, dark run when I got home. I will have to figure out how to work these runs into my training week, as I have generally been trying to get two 10 mile runs in, mid-week, and realistically I can only get away with a 5-6 mile run at lunch-time. Doubles? Every alternate day? Can't wait for the sunshine!

A lovely shamrock-shaped run, in celebration of our national saint's celebration next week!

Summary: 5 miles in 37 mins, @7:19/mile, HR=137

I found that over time I have managed to lengthen my lunch time runs (terms of distance and time out of office) without adverse comment from my boss. Originally there were some comments about me been gone longer than an hour etc, especially from one $hitehawk I work with. I kept a little log over the course of a week and since I pointed out I didn't take morning/afternoon coffee breaks not to mention smoke breaks it hasn't been an issue :D

You could always take the nuclear option and don't shower!!!! Auld baby wipes do the trick. Grand during the winter when you don't sweat too much probably not an option once it gets warmer.

I found that over time I have managed to lengthen my lunch time runs (terms of distance and time out of office) without adverse comment from my boss. Originally there were some comments about me been gone longer than an hour etc, especially from one $hitehawk I work with. I kept a little log over the course of a week and since I pointed out I didn't take morning/afternoon coffee breaks not to mention smoke breaks it hasn't been an issue :D

You could always take the nuclear option and don't shower!!!! Auld baby wipes do the trick. Grand during the winter when you don't sweat too much probably not an option once it gets warmer.
    Well, I reckon I work close to a 60 hour week these days, so an extra 20-30 minutes at lunch-time shouldn't be a big deal. No showers in work. I've been washing with a wash-cloth in a sink about 8 inches wide! Thankfully it's been freezing and lashing rain the last two days. We'll see how it goes in the coming months when it hots up. :cool:

Today: 20 mile 'recce of a section of the WW Ultra
    A nice run out with a few of the other boards posters, along a section of the IMRA ultra route, in prep for the race in two weeks time. Conditions varied between sunshine (5 minutes), heavy rain (30 minutes) and light rain (163 minutes) which meant large sections of the route were very muddy and very slippy. I seem to have suffered most, slipping three times, at one point sliding further down the hill than I would have, had I been skiing the black slopes of Val d'Isére. But, 'recces are all about preparation and learning, and I've learned that a worn pair of Mizuno Precisions won't do the job on race day. So, do I try to find a hybrid shoe in the interim, or carry two pairs on the day? Hmm.. Might be time to hit the shops tomorrow and have a look around.

20 miles in the mountains, good company and a pint afterwards. Perfect setup for an afternoon of sport on the TV. :)

Summary: 20 miles in 3:18, @9:55/mile, HR=138

Today: 10 painful k's
    Yesterday's slip-sliding falls down the banks of the Dargle must have had more impact than I initially felt, as over the course of the evening my neck, knee and elbow stiffened up (signs of age!), and I woke up with a stiff calf/achilles. So today's run was a stiff painful affair, but I felt everything loosening up as the miles pushed on. Always good to run in the sun, with some good tunes (courtesy of the Pixies) even if the body isn't feeling the love.
    Summary: 6.1 miles in 51 mins, @8:24/mile, HR=133

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Presuming you did no serious damage yesterday and it's just a case of landing on your ass once too many?

jeffontour wrote: »
    Presuming you did no serious damage yesterday and it's just a case of landing on your ass once too many?

A sore neck and sore limbs. Nothing a good night's sleep won't fix! Seriously considering a camelback. At least it would cushion my landing. :)

Today: 5 Mile steady run along the canal
    Third day in a row going for a lunch-time 5 miler, and another great run, this time with some sunshine. I headed in the direction of the canal, and though I had a million bugs to contend with, it was nice to find another direction to explore. The people that fix stuff have done a wonderful job on the canal, and the only barrier to a good steady run is all of the barriers. Wore the Salomon Crossmax, to try and get them as broken in as possible, before race day. They wouldn't be my choice of shoe for road running, but they'll certainly do the job on the few road/fire road sections. Look forward to giving them a try out on the local trails.

Summary: 5 miles in 36 mins, @7:11/mile, HR=146

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

ya hate the midges/bugs. its coming to that time of teh year again :). a pair of sunglasses that don't fog up at least keeps them out of eyes. anything else is just protein. keep up the training.

Advertisement