Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cphowlin wrote: »
    Yeah its the uncertainty that is the real killer!!

Yeah think we bumped into each other in the pub in Barca alright. Am staying down near the Waterfront too, a boutique hotel called Villa Zest.
    Think ill be headin for a pint or two or three after the race alright. I think i saw a list somewhere of recommended places to go after the race. Must see if I can find it again.
    Are you signed up for the International Friendship run?

Don't think i'll be trying the old three ultras trick any time soon! Any idea on Where would I could pick up some salt sticks? Tried Nuun tablets before but its a bit of pain trying to mix them with water on the run.
    The only certainty is that it will hurt at some point, but it'll be over some point after that, and stopping will feel a whole lot better! If you can send on a link to recommended places to go after the race, that'd be great. Really haven't looked into it at all (have been more concerned with where we'll go for the two weeks afterwards).

Yep, myself, the OH and the two kids (hardly kids any more) are all signed up for the friendship run. I can see myself and the young fella having a run-off (gotta record the victories while I still can!) so have to make sure I'm injury free for the friendship run, or I'll never live it down. :)

Haven't seen any salt sticks since I was last in the US (and don't have any) so I'll be hoping to pick some up at the expo, or else it'll be zum/nuun tablets for me as well.

Did you watch the facebook videos of the route?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭cphowlin

The only certainty is that it will hurt at some point, but it'll be over some point after that, and stopping will feel a whole lot better! If you can send on a link to recommended places to go after the race, that'd be great. Really haven't looked into it at all (have been more concerned with where we'll go for the two weeks afterwards).

Yep, myself, the OH and the two kids (hardly kids any more) are all signed up for the friendship run. I can see myself and the young fella having a run-off (gotta record the victories while I still can!) so have to make sure I'm injury free for the friendship run, or I'll never live it down. :)

Haven't seen any salt sticks since I was last in the US (and don't have any) so I'll be hoping to pick some up at the expo, or else it'll be zum/nuun tablets for me as well.

Did you watch the facebook videos of the route?

Myself and the gf are signed up for the Friendship run too. She is actually signed up for the half marathon too but is injured so cant do it but will hopefully get round the 8k alright. If your young lad beats ya you can always say your were holding back for the big race (always best to have the excuses ready just in case ;) )

Here is the link i was talking about. Its got few nice recommendations for things to do and places to eat and drink. A pub called Forries seems to be the main place to head post race.

Had a look at those videos, not sure if they have helped the nerves or made them worse! Gradient doesn't seem to be too crazy but those hills do seem to drag on. Think i'll concentrate on the views and try ignore the climb in front of me! After the WW ultra those hills will only be bumps to you!
    He made an interesting point on the 30k mark being the halfway point time wise. Thats a nice hand marker to keep in mind on the day to measure how things are going.

Myself and the gf are signed up for the Friendship run too. She is actually signed up for the half marathon too but is injured so cant do it but will hopefully get round the 8k alright. If your young lad beats ya you can always say your were holding back for the big race (always best to have the excuses ready just in case ;) )

Here is the link i was talking about. Its got few nice recommendations for things to do and places to eat and drink. A pub called Forries seems to be the main place to head post race.

Had a look at those videos, not sure if they have helped the nerves or made them worse! Gradient doesn't seem to be too crazy but those hills do seem to drag on. Think i'll concentrate on the views and try ignore the climb in front of me! After the WW ultra those hills will only be bumps to you!
    He made an interesting point on the 30k mark being the halfway point time wise. Thats a nice hand marker to keep in mind on the day to measure how things are going.
    Cool, thanks for that. Will have a browse.
    Have you seen any sites where they describe what drinks/nutrition (if any) will be available on the course? In one of the videos he mention water, coke and fruit. Given that PowerAde are one of the sponsors, I presume they'll be supplying PowerAde at some aid-stops too?

Just back from Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght, as they're listed as a stockist of Saltsticks. But no joy. The Nuun tablest would be fine if they supplied water in bottles, but haven't seen anything on their website about cups/bottles.

I couldn't find anything on the main site but found this on what i think is a copy of last years site.
    Thirty-three well equipped refreshment stations along the route will ensure that every runners needs are adequately catered for.

A special station will be located at the start and the first station is at 3 km where only water and Coke will be available. The subsequent refreshment stations are approximately 2 km apart to the halfway mark and 1km thereafter.

Drinking Water
    Drinking water and Powerade will be provided throughout the race in 100 ml plastic sachets (Booster Bags), while Coca-Cola will be served in plastic bottles. In addition, potatoes, bananas, Bar-one chocolates, Polar Ice Cream and other 'morale lifters' will be available at some stations.

The order of what is available at each station is shown further down that page. So looks like we'll be well looked after fluid wise but everything is in sachets. Was actually going to stop into CSS on the way home since i work in Tallaght so you saved me the trip. Might try base2race in the Ballymount instead to see what they have.

Also found this site which shows the location of each refreshment station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

Breaking the "do not try anything new rule" but another option is Endurolytes from Hammer - there is a store in Cape Town listed on their website as a back up (hammernutrition.com).

I'd be happy to try to get something shipped .... but I'm not sure there is enough time left.

• Advertisement

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Breaking the "do not try anything new rule" but another option is Endurolytes from Hammer - there is a store in Cape Town listed on their website as a back up (hammernutrition.com).

I'd be happy to try to get something shipped .... but I'm not sure there is enough time left.
    Thanks for the offer pgmcpq. Looking at some feedback on some forums, they suggest that the Endurolyte product is quite low on salt in comparison to a standard 'Powerbar' gel, so I might actually just bring a couple of Powerbar gels to add to my SIS Isotonic gel arsenal.

they suggest that the Endurolyte product is quite low on salt in comparison to a standard 'Powerbar' gel.

Interesting - I did not know the Powerbar gels had much sodium. I've only ever used these .... simply they were what everyone else was using (yes I would jump off a cliff :)). What forum was this ?

pgmcpq wrote: »
    Interesting - I did not know the Powerbar gels had much sodium. I've only ever used these .... simply they were what everyone else was using (yes I would jump off a cliff :)). What forum was this ?
    It turned up as part of my google search here.

Here's the relevant post (though I didn't verify his/her assertion):
    Enduralytes are almost worthless. 40mg sodium per tablet just not enough. You need 5 tabs to equal 1 Powergel.
    There are other viewpoints that suggest that cramps have little/nothing to do with salt intake and may be related to over-hydration, so the usual bag of mixed opinions.

Just back from Cycle SuperStore in Tallaght, as they're listed as a stockist of Saltsticks. But no joy.
    Might try base2race in the Ballymount instead to see what they have.

Was talking to the guys in base2race and they are due to get in Saltsticks from the UK. They were meant to be in by today but they haven't arrived yet so might be worth a look next week

Today: 10 mile run in Knocksink Woods
    Took the entire week off, avoiding running and cycling altogether (see I can take advice!) and the pain while walking lessened day by day. I could still feel it when the knee was fully bent, but it's the kind of progress I was looking for (and I really wanted to know whether I should line up at the start line or not).

Headed to Knocksink Wood, doing the kind of run that I had meant to do last week (and really should have done). Nice forest trails (soft underfoot), and a comfortable pace. Some of the trails are a little bit chaotic (crossing streams, diving under fallen trees, clambering over other trees, running along steep embankments) but it's all good clean fun (more fun than an adult should really be having on their own in the woods :)). Slipped on a fallen tree and cut my knee so will have a nice krusty scab for the next few weeks. Despite some muscular twinges afterwards, I'm feeling a lot more confident about making the start line next Saturday. Can't vouch for how the race will go, but that's in the hands of the gods (and the physio) from now on.

Summary: 10 miles in 1:27, @8:23/mile, HR=155

• Advertisement

Have a good trip and best of luck Saturday, Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Best of luck. I think you'll have one of the more interesting race reports to read this year after you done this race. looking forward to it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Best of luck KC, enjoy the trip and the race.

Yesterday: Physio. All good, everything is suitably on the mend.

Today: 5 Nice and easy miles on the grass in the park.
    A bit of alarm, as the knee I landed on on Sunday was stiff and sore, but on thinking about it over the first mile or two, it was just the scab pulling a bit. :o The week off seems to have done me some good. Apart from the niggles disappearing, the body seems up for a bit of punishment once more, and today's 5 miles felt nice and comfortable, @7:14/mile. Still not sure what my target pace will be for the race on Saturday, but I'll take my usual approach, and start out nice and easy, and then push onwards or slow down depending on how I feel. The Silver medal target is definitely out the window, and a 'Sainsbury' medal just sounds really crap, so I'll be aiming for a bronze medal, and trying to get as close to silver (sub 4) as I can.

Forecast is for 24'C, but race starts at 6:15am, so hopefully should be through most of the course before it really hots up. A week later I've signed up for another race in Knyzna - a 20 mile trail run, but it cost less than €10, so I'll give it a miss if I'm not feeling up to it, and take it nice and easy if I decide to go ahead. So last run completed on this continent for a while. Travelling in 7 hours time. See you all on the other side. :)

Summary: 5 miles in 36 mins, @7:14/mile, HR=144

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭dermCu

Best of luck Krusty. The last week or so might not have been perfect but you have a hell of a lot of residual fitness to draw on. That body of work will see you to a good race.

I'm off to Cape Town myself on Thursday - complete r&r. Much as i would like to see the event I'd be shot if I mentioned going to watch a race!! Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Macanri

Glad to hear you mended well. All the best across the land and waters.

dermCu wrote: »
    I'm off to Cape Town myself on Thursday - complete r&r. Much as i would like to see the event I'd be shot if I mentioned going to watch a race!! Enjoy it.
    Nice one Dermcu. You've definitely earned it! If you're at a loose end on Saturday (and not otherwise romantically engaged), call into Mitchells on the V&A waterfront. I'll buy you a pint to celebrate your London performance. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Best of luck on the weekend KC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Best of luck Krusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Enjoy and best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Have a blast Krusty, looking forward to the report. C'mere, did you ever make that titular 10k challenge in the end?

Have a blast Krusty, looking forward to the report. C'mere, did you ever make that titular 10k challenge in the end?
    I did! Completed it back in November 2008. The test of this log has just been waffle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

May the Gods be with you KC. Have a great experience.
    Do a few beers reviews when your down there.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Best of luck with it Gary. Look forward to reading of your success.

No surrender!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Best of luck KC and enjoy the race.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

good luck krusty.looking forward to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭liamo123

As Above...... Those of us who read ur log know u put serious hours in workwise so enjoy the family break... As for the runs dont forget No Pain No Gain !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,008 ✭✭✭opus

Good luck on Saturday Krusty, hope the race & the holiday are a blast!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

best of luck!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Best of luck Krusty, enjoy every minute of the trip!! :)

Advertisement