Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red brick fireplace

Options
  • 03-11-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭

I`m in the process of renovating a cottage and i would like some information about building a floor to ceiling red brick fireplace . i have the original ripped out and the wall is flush . do i have to treat the wall with some anitfire paint sealer before i start my brick work .. also does anybody know where in co limerick (tipp side ) i can get some salvage beams for my mantel insert? ...
    something like this i`d like to build ...

any suggestions on the cost ...

http://www.heartwood.ie/salvage.aspx...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Retain a good bricklayer and ensure the new brickwork is tied into the existing wall. Use stainless steel "L" brackets.

Timber beams are easy to source - ring around. Best to get a beam that has been stored inside as its less likely to move ( moisture movement)

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

i`m meeting a brick layer on friday whats the average cost for a job done i`ll supply all items for a six foot wide fireplace to the ceiling leaving space for a timber sleeper (treated )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Could be a euro a brick.
    Get 3 quotes from reputable brickies.

Check preservative used in timber sleeper (treated ). External railway sleepers might not be advisable indoors, as some preservative is toxic. They are designed to be used outside. Take care with choice of sleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭DJKAV

thanks ... a mill...

Advertisement