Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

99 avensis constantly fogging up

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Over the last few days ive noticed that all the windows on my 99 avensis are getting really badly fogged up, even with the heater on. I suspect it may be a water leak. Help anyone???!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

check the boot - could be rear lights leak. take out the spare wheel and see is there water under it. I f there is take out the rubber grommit in the spare wheel compartment. check coolant levels. do you have a sunroof??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is the fan on recirculation? Or maybe the pollen filter is blocked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

take out the small plastic insert in your boot behind the carpet.... ever so simple and see if the seals gone.... then check the doors and sun roof ( if it has one )

takes no longer then that, if not them, then its the pollen filter i think... But as many may tell you, don't trust me when i think :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

I could be the radiator for your air con system(heat) is gone.

If it is then it will cost ya as the dash might need to be taken out to repair it.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Agree with most of the above, it's either heater matrix, seal leakage, or pollen filter clogged. If it's bothering you too much let each window down a crack to prevent windows steaming up whilst driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

May not be it, but the simplest thing to check is if the blower is set to recirculate air.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭RINO87

thanx for the help info!

i checked for leaks, none in the boot, dont have a sunroof.

the air as coming in from outside (as in its not set to re-circulate), and now this is worrying, when i start the car i can hear a slight gurgling/trickling sound coming from the vents in the centre console, i fear the worst i'm afraid!

Yeah sounds like the heater has a cracked pipe. If you can live without heat you can just connect the inflow pipe to the outflow pipe if you can find them which will then bypass the matrix.

You will need two jubilee clips and a bit of copper piping will do the job.

will i be able to access this by removing the centre console or will i need to remove the whole dash?

cheers.

I was able to do it when i had the bonnet open.

Took ten minutes but depends on the car and whether you can get to the hoses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭meesa

RINO87 wrote: »
    Over the last few days ive noticed that all the windows on my 99 avensis are getting really badly fogged up, even with the heater on. I suspect it may be a water leak. Help anyone???!!

Try this....http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=92029&highlight=windscreen+misting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Before you go hacking up your heating system , have you checked for a blocked pollen filter? Does the 99 avensis have one?, I removed the one on my missus 01 avensis years ago. IIRC it under the dash beside the pedals, easy to miss on a service.
    As for the gurgling, hows the coolant level?

coolant level is grand, i make sure to check it and the oil every week, dont have a pollen filter.

its not as bad recently, though it hasnt been that cold outside either

meesa wrote: »

thats a great link there, thanks! i'll be checking that in the morning

Advertisement