Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GOW 2 review day

• 03-11-2008 12:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I'm sure you all know the review embargo of GOW 2 is lifted this afternoon.
    I must be honest and say I had little interest in this but after reading hands on and multiplayer preview articles I'm actually looking forward to this as by all counts it's looking like the complete package.

I enjoyed the original single player game, a little short maybe but enjoyable none the less but where it fell down for me was multiplayer, I just couldn't get into it but the Horde multiplayer sounds like it's going to be good craic to play, and every tough by the sounds of it.

Just have to sit back and wait for the reviews to be posted later.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭smog

Funny the multiplayer was the making of this game ... people still playing it relegiously 2 years later, frustrating some times due to lag glitches ... anyway heres hoping gow2 is an improvement on a solid title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭da ax murderer

i liked gears story mode but could never get into the multiplayer hopefully i will in gears 2, just hope people arent too good at it from 2 years of playing the first one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Eurogamer and IGN reivews up now at http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=281039 and http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/926/926305p1.html with the metacritic summary here
    http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/gearsofwar2
    General consensus is that the single player story is much improved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭solace

If you've been following it through IGN for the last while, the review doesn't really give you any new information. To be fair, they've been giving away so much, it's hardly surprising. Anyway, IGN score is 9.5. I, for one, cannot wait to pick this up. As 'basic' as the first storyline was, I loved it, and although I do agree that the dialogue and voice acting was cheesy at times, I certainly wouldn't call it mediocre.

ROLL ON FRIDAY :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 johnbuer

smile.gif

I cant get enough of this one

• Advertisement

Also, did anyone check out the launch trailer with that MASSIVE monster at the very end? Cannot WAIT for that one.
    I imagine it's the boss that they said was very like a RE4 boss, i.e., the water one. There's a poor quality video here... which I wish I hadn't watched, totally going to be expecting this when I'm at the 'water bit'! http://www.gametrailers.com/player/usermovies/282994.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Current Meta score as of 6 this evening is 95. Cant really see it deviating up or down too much. Another 360 AAA game confirmed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Heres the Gametrailers review where they have it 9.5: http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=870iDj0rWME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Here is the Mikeyt086 review:

Its really good.

If you liked Gears Of War youll like it. Its pretty much the same exept new levels etc. Its really good though. Ive played through the first 2 levels tonight and its enthralling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

I finished the game two weeks ago, and its a lot better than gears 1. It feels more of a full on war this time and not just 5 or so enemies at a time like part one. To be honest most reviews gave it 9.5 which is good, but when games like Fallout 3 and GTA4 get 10 out of 10 it make me wonder. I think Fallout is good, but not 10 out of 10 maybe 8 out of 10, same for GTA. Over hyped to death.
    And I wasn't a fan of gears1 at all thought it was too short. about 6 hours gears 2 on hardcore took about 10-12 hours. One thing I will say I wasn't a fan of the last mission. But you'll see what I mean when you play it. def the best game this year without a doubt. Unless Prince of persia can knock it.
    My score for gears 2
    Graphics 9.5 some of the best on any system
    Sound 9.5 sound effects great, as is the music, dodgy yank macho voice overs.
    Replay value 9 multiplay will keep gears fans online for ever. Shame about the yanks that will wreck it.
    Over all 9.3 for me thats high scoring no game deserves 10/10 like IGN and co like giving out.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I agree with the 10/10 thing; no game is perfect. 9.3 is still a pretty incredible score, especially from someone who wasn't a fan of the first.

The constant 10/10 scores are a bit silly alright, at least they could move to percentages which would give them a little bit of leeway.
    Intersting to read the editors note on Metacritic regarding the Readers Review, when I checked yesterday afternoon the average score was 3 , it's now 3.4. There's some sort of fan boy war going on between the PS3 and Xbox fans trying to reduce the scores of big name games, idiots.
    My advice for our faithful users is to focus your attention on the Metascore for this game and not the thousands of user votes, most of which have been submitted before said users have played the game. This is a gaming community, and if people want to stuff the ballot box, there's not much I can do at this point. When we upgrade the registration requirements for participation on the site in the near future, this type of thing won't happen. We'll post the full legitimate user reviews upon the game's release. As always, thanks for using the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭rizzla

Jip wrote: »
    The constant 10/10 scores are a bit silly alright, at least they could move to percentages which would give them a little bit of leeway.
    Intersting to read the editors note on Metacritic regarding the Readers Review, when I checked yesterday afternoon the average score was 3 , it's now 3.4. There's some sort of fan boy war going on between the PS3 and Xbox fans trying to reduce the scores of big name games, idiots.

True, it is idiotic. But does anyone else think that the PS3 fanboys are the worst of the bad bunch? Also, most people who use the 10 out of 10 scoring system often implement decimals which make it out of 100 anyway and easily equates to percentages.

I prefer the 1up scoring system of A's, B's, C's etc. Plus their video reviews are great. 2 or more people just talking about the game gives a much more rounded opinion of the game rather than just the 1 reviewer.

Anyway, game looks awesome. Really can't wait to give it a bash. Those maps with the enviromental hazards look great, can't wait to play Horde on Avalanche.

• Jip wrote: »
    Reviews since gta4 have turned into a constant battle for a score of "ten" or high nines, which in fairness is a bit fishy. It sounds to me like the publishers are slipping "the notes" to the critics.

On the main topic, i'm extremely excited about horde mode...
    But so many games to play and finish gah!!!

1-10 scores with decimals would be better but the likes of Eurogamer only use whole numbers so it's laughable to read some of the comments on their reviews such as the GOW 2 one comparing Far Cry 2, Fallout 3 and Little Big Planet saying that 'only' 9/10 is a fail.
    But so many games to play and finish

That's me all over, I've only got back to Half Life 2, must get back to Bioshock and I still haven't opened Assasins Creed since I got it last December, god damn real life getting in the way !

Oooh, you're in for a treat. Assassin's Creed is pretty short and the storyline is wicked. I know it got slated for being repetitive but I never got tired of free running all over the (beautiful) cities. It's short too so you could probably scratch that one off the list pretty soon.

I got half way into Creed and got sick of it. Free running try the mirrors edge demo. A nice change to the FPS genre with cool parkour!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭jimbob_jones

Creed is good enough, but just play it in small doses or the wash rinse repeat mechanic can get on your nerves after a while.

I'm half way thru Too Human and already I have been falling asleep at the controller.

Ya too human is repetitive too. But at least with too human you just go from A to B. With assassins creed I just find myself wondering around roof tops for ages.
    Part two will be better no doubt, and creed has lead the way for games like the new Prince of Persia, and splinter cell using its engine.

splinter cell, what happened to that???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

right, ive decided to give this evening entirely over to gow2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

solace wrote: »
    Also, did anyone check out the launch trailer with that MASSIVE monster at the very end? Cannot WAIT for that one.

DITTO, cant wait to do battle against that thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

The Horde mode in multiplayer looks like its going to be so much fun!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldnt give GOW1 10/10. Im probably the only person on the planet who thinks the multiplayer is over-rated.

Still, it didnt stop me pre booking GOW2! The story and co op mode in the first one kept me occupied!

The achievements were lame first time round tho, i hate games that you complete yet only have 100 points for doing so.

faceman wrote: »
    I wouldnt give GOW1 10/10. Im probably the only person on the planet who thinks the multiplayer is over-rated.

Nah, I've only every played a couple of online games and a few friends are the same. Maybe it was because Rainbow 6 was out around the same time which I gave most of my online playing to.

DITTO, cant wait to do battle against that thing

Most reviews I've read (including user reviews) mention how disappointing the last boss battle is.

Hopefully it's not this guy! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Horde and wingman multiplayer mode sound like their gonna be great craic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

Soby wrote: »

Rofl, now all I need are friends!

Looking forward to horde. Might load up GOW1 tomorrow for a blast through before setting into this :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭NunianVonFuch

Soby wrote: »

Yeah splitscreen wingman is going to rock! Singleplayer can be used to perfect the teamplay before heading online for Horde and wingman. Multiplayer in the original was ok but the ranking system was borked. Anytime I played ranked matches I got my ass handed to me and was lucky to get a kill. So even though I was pretty much at the basic rank throughout I was always matched with class players. Whereas playing unranked with mates was great craic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

http://www.game.ie/x360/gearsofwar2/Review.aspx

not my review, but i dont wholly disagree with it

probably a contraversial score considering the ridiculous reviews its getting, but accurate enough in the long run

• Advertisement

Thats the worse review I've seen. 7 for graphics, what are they playing it on a black and white tv. No doubt in my eyes the best graphics on the 360 yet, if not some of the best on any system. What a complete load of bull. do those tits get paid to review games? I hope not. I must have a look at some of the other reviews they give.

Advertisement