Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plug sockets in bathrooms

Options
  • 03-11-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Hi ,
    I was wondering under what conditions you can out a 220 socket in a bathroom (complying with Irish regulations).
    Better half wants to be able to use hairdryer in there. I have a 220 twin and earth supply at rear of vanity cabinet/mirror, Unit has halogen lights, but is stepped down with a tranformer at rear of unit.

I would have though it would be OK to have one mounted high, like a shaver socket, so long as its protected on an RCD circuit?

Appreciate any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I'm not up on the regs, but the whole idea with not having sockets in the bathroom is to prevent accidents where an unprotected device could slip into a basin or bath of water.

So, I think that the answer here is - under no circumstances...

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

10-10-20 wrote: »
    I'm not up on the regs, but the whole idea with not having sockets in the bathroom is to prevent accidents where an unprotected device could slip into a basin or bath of water.

So, I think that the answer here is - under no circumstances...

I understand that, hence the reference to the RCD. What I'm looking to know is if any electricians have installed plug sockets in a bathroom, and with what protection. or if the regulations allow for it under certain conditions.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not sure about ireland but in uk, many homes have a 2 pin electric razor socket in bathroom and people can use it with a plug adaptor for other 3 pin appliances.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭andrewh5

skinner2x wrote: »
    I understand that, hence the reference to the RCD. What I'm looking to know is if any electricians have installed plug sockets in a bathroom, and with what protection. or if the regulations allow for it under certain conditions.
    Thanks

No electrician would be stupid enough to fit a socket in a bathroom! Water and electricity do not mix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Safety is paramount .Think of the children

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Same as 10-10-20, I'm not current on domestic regs but-
    From here (page 16):
    No socket outlets, other than specially designed shaver outlets,
    are allowed in bathrooms. Under no circumstances should portable
    appliances, especially hair dryers, electric fires, washing machines
    or even a mains-operated radio be brought into a bathroom
    EVEN if it is plugged in outside the room.
    Would suggest that ETCI regs still cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭skinner2x

SteveC wrote: »
    Same as 10-10-20, I'm not current on domestic regs but-
    From here (page 16):

Would suggest that ETCI regs still cover it.

Thanks for the replys guys. from SteveC s info, it fairly definitive. Need a plan b for the hair drying so.. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well you could get a bathroom hairdryer unit, you kow the ones you have in hotels and pools etc, they are allowed as they are fixed to the wall and you can't drop them into a sink, plus you'd need a big enough area to install them, but its an option

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Stoner wrote: »
    well you could get a bathroom hairdryer unit, you kow the ones you have in hotels and pools etc, they are allowed as they are fixed to the wall and you can't drop them into a sink, plus you'd need a big enough area to install them, but its an option
    They still need to be outside zone 3 though don't they?
    Most bathrooms in this country aren't big enough??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

SteveC wrote: »
    They still need to be outside zone 3 though don't they?
    Most bathrooms in this country aren't big enough??

true, unless the bathroom was huge as you said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Skellington

Maybe one of these.
    As long as you can stay within the minimum distances for water, it seems like it could work. Pricey though.
    • Installed 1200mm away from shower heads, 600mm from taps, baths

Advertisement